IKEA Employee Reviews

Horrible delivery counter managers
Delivery counter (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCSeptember 21, 2016
The bosses who work at the delivery counter suck. They are so rude to the employees and walk around like they know everything!!! One in particular i have lots of hateful words for her. She makes coming into work horrible. Do yourself a favor if you work for ikea dont work by the delivery counter you'll regret every minute of it
Pros
Ikea discount on food and drivers are funny
Cons
Horrid place to work! Depressing environment.
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2016
When I started here I was 110% enthusiastic in making it work. By the end I was broken down faster than their furniture and I only lasted a little longer than 6 months.

Myself and an other guy were hired at same time and he just quit without notice in less than three months.

They preach Ikea propaganda they don't back up or stand behind. You will have every employee as your boss knit picking and watching your every move.

Most all employees in area I worked were emotionless Zombies with chips on their shoulders. Very clicky group of miserable acting people not happy with their job. Every morning I heard screaming and yelling profanity at each from drivers on the dock.

Jump start meetings every morning that are useless dribble with useless information on how many trailers you have to work that day. After a while you will just hear blah blah blah. Wasted time and brain numbing verbal garbage from power tripping employees who like to hear themselves talk.

Be prepared for a workout and to start sweating profusely for 5 hours of your shift because they turn the Air conditioning off until the store opens at 10. I hated being drenched and hot working in sweat drenched clothes lifting heavy product.

I hope you like working in the dark because they also dim the lights to save pennies on the dollar until store opens at 10. Go figure that products are put in wrong places by employees who can't see product codes in the dark.

You will have many bosses and who one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.Your always struggling where to put product that isn't needed and
  more... product needed that is never ordered.

You will also have the pleasure of listening to the same bogus music and announcements that are played over and over and over again. It will make you insane faster than crazy house

Its was a unstructured Gong show that left me depressed and to quit without notice. It's better you keep this horrid place off your resume. It is a depressing and unhealthy environment to work. I've never felt better for quitting a job in my life.
Pros
Free pop when available
Cons
Phoney uncaring management
Fantastic, even as an associate
Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2016
I don't think I have ever worked in a place that I enjoy so much. IKEA really checks off all the boxes to keep their employees happy.Their compensation packages are phenomenal and can support a parent. The pay is not something to complain about either. It's fairly decent and you get opportunities and changes to advance or gain a pay raise. Management is fantastic, they are thorough and try their best to accommodate their employees. Their HR practices are very good and make you feel safe in your job. The atmosphere is also great, it is positive, reinforcing and supportive.

What I've learned:
As my education background is in HR, I truly admire their practices in IKEA and their business models. I've learned what makes employees happy and what is considered fair and how to apply them.

The hardest part:
The hardest part in a retail industry will always be customers. Other than that there isn't much to complain about.

The job is straightforward, you complete your daily tasks and touch base with your manager, assistant manager, supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Great upper management, subsidized lunches
Cons
customers
Good
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Working at Ikea was good because I was traveling a lot and met a lot of new people. Management was lenient and respectful and I enjoyed this experience.
Terrible experience
Check out services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2016
I did not enjoy working here at all. Some of the associates were awesome. The managers had fake attitudes. They gossiped about you instead of telling you what you were doing wrong. I felt uncomfortable and miserable there and would often come home feeling depressed. Not to mention they cut my hrs severely. Their excuse was, they thought I was going back to school. I knew that was a lie. I never wanna go there again
Pros
Awesome coworkers and discounts
Cons
Management, short hours
Place That Needs To Show More Respect to their Employees
Self Serve CoWorker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 11, 2016
At first the job was alright, understandably I was to go through the learning process before promotion however no matter what I would do to advance through the company it seems like everything that I had done over and above expectations was blown off by managers.

My work schedule has failed to accommodate my life schedule and it feels like I'm only meant to work IKEA without any concern for my life out of work. I'm tired and stressed and unfortunately it has changed my attitude at the work place.

The Coworkers can be from anywhere from friendly and helpful to lazy and uncooperative I feel like the pack mule most of the time at work. Most times I feel as if we are understaffed 9/10 causing more pressure to myself and others on the floor.

All in all IKEA seems to be a decent company but I would seriously reconsider applying to this company. It's not worth it for your sanity unless you are all in for IKEA
Pros
Lunch Discounts
Cons
Irratic Scheduling, Glass Ceiling Promotion, Managers Seem to care but don't
delivering the stuff through gta
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONAugust 3, 2016
it was job with busy schedule and tight deadlines. I learned good communication skills at this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with new customers.
Dishwasher
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  1311 102 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6N 1M3July 19, 2016
A typical day was hot inside a small room filled with hot water and steam. I learned about how to properly clean dishes, stack dishes and put dishes away. My manager's were accomidating and understanding. My co-workers were talkitive and would always joke about the heat. The hardest part about working at Ikea was trying to keep the water out of my shoes. The most enjoyable part was the environment and the free lunches/ dinners.
Fun family style workplace
Sales Coworker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2016
-I learned lots about furniture / home decorating
-management can sometimes be a little cliquey but overall ok
-the coworkers I interacted with were awesome
-hardest part of the job was dealing with tricky customers
-most enjoyable part of the job was the perks and staff parties
Pros
staff cafeteria and occaional free lunches
Cons
a lot of walking
productive place
Cart Attendant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJuly 4, 2016
The company has a good review. My coworkers are easy and fun to be with. The management is being helpful. I learn to be patient and to multitask.
Pros
Dental and medical benefits
Cons
Short hours
Fun place to work for
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 29, 2016
In general the crowd I work with are very friendly and fun to work with. There is always a nice and upbeat atmosphere when I come to work.
Team work
worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 17, 2016
The team work at IKEA with the co worker is very appreciable. All the co worker are very helpful and the management is good too
Ikea
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 15, 2016
typical day.... 5-8 hrs shift.
I learned how to respect other team players.
Hardest part....patience.
Most enjoyable...working in busy environment
Warehouse Order Picker
Full-Serve Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 13, 2016
With my experience with Ikea. Management was not the best. My respinding Managers never ever! communicated. They hired to many people that diminished the hours. We were a "team" of 15 plus 2 managers. 7 people where full-time and the rest were part time. I quit ikea because they really just pushed me away from ikea. I tried to voice my opinion and it was ignored. I will never shop or anything with ikea ever again.
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
Management, wage, discount and advancement.
excellent adventure
Kitchen Sales (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 4, 2016
great place to work and meet interesting people from all over world, progressive and supportive company with many positives, able to impart knowledge easily and fundamentally to consumers
Pros
great environment
Cons
shift scheduling changes weekly
Great and comfortable work environment
Returns Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJune 1, 2016
IKEA is a great company to work for. The management is very inviting and is easy to learn how it works. It is great to interact with customers and overall a wonderful team of co-workers.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2016
Is was a fun experience kind of hard but who doesn't like a challenge great vibe and really somewhere where you feel like a family member.
Inclusive & inspiring business culture
SALES COWORKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work would most likely take place on the sales floor, and consist of communicating product and safety knowledge with customers. This would include providing an understanding of product use, designing furniture systems within the IKEA range to suit the customers needs, and ensuring a level of quality satisfaction. In many seperate instances, I could also be found constructing IKEA furniture for Showroom display, leading sales training intiatives, creating sales graphics, and leading charitable promotions. The workplace was always fun and occasionally challenging which creates a very satisfying retail environment to be apart of.
Pros
Great Coworkers, Health Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexibility around school
awesome place with great management
co-worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 22, 2016
i always loved coming into work. the managers always seemed to happy to help and my coworkers were awesome. the environment was welcoming and the customers were also always great.
Great Company
Kitchen Planner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 5, 2016
Very good company , well managed , long hours
middle management needs more training
fun atmosphere , friendly co workers
Pros
free lunched