IKEA

1.5K reviews

IKEA Employee Reviews

Social & Experience Benefits; Awful Management
Carts & Carryout Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2014
Working with customers was (almost) always one of the best parts of the job, even with the few bad apples you'd get. And you do end up learning a few things about working the job. You meet some great people who feel unified because of the cultural aspect of the job. Lastly, you make money...

However, management was the biggest pain in the behind. Favoritism, neglect, selective memory, non-stop excuses, false assumptions about your work behavior, borderline-authoritarian rules, unwillingness to hear and/or heed the opinions/concerns/suggestions of the department, clashing of different orders/tasks from different managers, and emotional/professional manipulation are just SOME of the things you'll experience from the managers in this store. It made the job extremely stressful to say the least.

I often worked by myself, even on busy days, in spite of the fact that the job required a minimum of two people for the tasks to be done efficiently and properly. Many people were no-shows or called in sick to avoid the work, and while I couldn't blame them because of the work conditions, it made my life that much harder. It was a battle just to stay employed in spite of the rather lousy work conditions for the department. Anxiety was a growing concern for me as I would always dread the shifts where I'd have to put up with the more negative aspects of the job, which was more often than not.

No appreciation was given for my near-flawless attendance record, even with the odd late arrival due to problems with transit. None was given for my willingness to fill in hours that were needed. Information
  more... was constantly withheld from me; I was sometimes made to feel bad for mistakes that could have been corrected with additional staffing in my shifts; the equipment for the job was lousy and just barely worked, often failing or stalling at the worst of times, yet because of bureaucratic red-tape, nothing has been modestly repaired since the beginning of the year; cost-cutting measures and a cryptic, seemingly restrictive budget limited staffing & scheduling abilities; empty promises and shallow assurances from the upper echelons of management; lower-management (such as Duty Managers) would try to pawn off their duties on you any chance they'd get, in spite of how busy YOU were trying to get the job done, you know, the one you were being paid for.  less
Pros
annual raises, meeting people, strong culture, higher-than-average retail wage
Cons
the managers!, constant battle for hours, unnecessary stress, faulty equipment, no-shows all the time, scatterbrained shifts

Comment – December 23, 2014

One manager in particular would place blame on me for whenever another co-worker would have the radio (such as when I would be on breaks) and refused to answer the radio when called to assist a customer. This happened because they associated me with having the radio, simply because I worked the most hours and thus usually had the radio on my person; that's simply it, the blame was based on assumption rather than investigation. And I do mean REFUSE, because everyone hated holding onto the radio and avoided the customer-service angle of the job whenever they could. Anyway, one night, immediately after returning from a break, whereby I had left the radio with my other closing co-worker, one after another the floor managers converged on me getting angry about no one coming to help customers with their loadouts. The duty manager came out berating me, lecturing me about how I do my work, and when I had the chance to I pointed out that I didn't even have the radio the whole time they were trying to get customer assistance; my co-worker couldn't hear the radio while collecting carts in the lot, while I was on my fifteen-minute break. Half of all closing shifts I've ever done would be done alone or with someone who would do next to nothing to deserve their pay, usually standing around and slowly pushing carts back into the building. But they needed someone to blame for the problems of the department and because of how often I worked, and I worked my behind off, they used me as their scapegoat. I am glad that I don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore, ever since my last day.

Generally an interesting company to work for with continuous interact with the sales, operations and design departments; enabling smooth operations.
Facilities Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 23, 2013
Plan and review daily requirements, which included requests for maintenance or new works to be carried out, programmed preventive maintenance, assisting in projects, attending to contractors and service providers. Ensuring that the store is a safe place for customers and staff alike. Attending to all emergencies relating to the facilities. Daily inspection of store and both indoor and outdoors. Ensuring that janitors maintain washrooms to a high standard and all areas to be cleaned throughout the day. AS GOOD AS NEW concept.

This type of work has taught me to be proactive and be prepared to attend to any emergencies. This ensures minimum or no lost of time to the operations and also to maintain a safe working/customer environment at all times.

Continuously in close contact with management to ensure that all is in order. Co-workers are also our clients, so a good relationship is fostered through mutual respect and a electronic request system is in place enhance this. This allow for all parties to track progress of requests. Job can be challenging (hard) with with multiple requests/competing priorities but continuous and clear updates on progress helps put things at ease. Good communications is essential for this job and we are provided with the proper communication tools/programs to ensure this occurs.

Enjoyable part of the jobs is being able to complete routine works with other competing requests and being able to solve problems both through own initiatives or through dialogue with others in the facilities department. Being able to work on my own and as a team both within
  more... the department or within the whole organization. I also enjoyed working on a buildup project (new store) in another IKEA location for two months. (IKEA Richmond in Vancouver.) Having access to a wide source of expertise within the IKEA organization was also a benefit.

Was part of the Occupational Health and Safety and Sustainability Committees for many years and was fortunate to do continuous training in both these areas; which in turn enable me to carry out my role more efficiently.
Pros
subsidised lunches, 15% discount all all items purchased.
Cons
having to work every saturday for the last nine years eventually took a toll on my family life.
Difficult place to work, always understaffed
Checkout Services Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Although the culture and values are outlined clearly in the coworkers handbook and signage is prevalent through every store, it is questionable if these values were seen through in a practical fashion.

Typically, a day at work required an intense work pace, as the customer service and cash departments were always very busy, but economical staffing schedules made for many an unpleasant customer experience, while making the employees feel the pressure to work quickly and serve as many customers as possible.

Management always talked about improving work methods to be more proficient. This was a part of the culture at Ikea, but the reality was constant striving to cut overhead costs and increase profits simultaneously. This manifested itself in constant managerial pressure from the very top down. Job advancement takes a long time, years in many cases, such as was my personal experience, and expectations were very demanding once you got into any position of authority.

Coworkers were generally pleasant and hardworking; a testament to Ikeas thorough hiring practices, but because of the strain of the work absenteeism and unwillingness to take on new tasks plagued the staff at the coworker level.

The hardest part of the job was trying to schedule properly, have enough coworkers available for flexibility, and still run my department fluidly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting a paycheque.
Pros
discounted lunches, christmas gifts, good people hired.
Cons
high pressure demanding work with little reward for those who worked hard.
Good work, messy managment.
Receiving team support manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg ManitobaSeptember 10, 2013
I was a support manager for the warehouse at Ikea and I enjoyed it. BUT it came as a surprise I wasn't aware of being a manager for a few months and never really got management training on the side. I had the training to use equipment to teach other employees and little training on how to use the trailer programs on the computer I more or less taught my self through manuals there. It was a new store and I expected it to be hectic and I was patient. Even put in lots of OT 12 hour days. In the end I got canned for a small issue of letting a trainee drive on his own around others for a hour on a forklift which is how I was trained. But they didn't fire me on the spot they needed me there they kept me for a month and out of the blue they let me go I had no clue and it really messed things up for me. I hope management is a lot better I hear one of my old friends there moved up and we trained together as managers so I'm glad to see him moving up even though he din't really want to. As goes their Culture, they have a "strong" one and it really got to me saying they look out for their employees and so on and at first it was great I got to go to Vancouver for a month all expenses payed. But then they really dint care about us warehouse people we were like the dogs of the company. Always pressuring us to work very long hours and never getting rewards.and when they dropped me like a bag of bricks that shows that the company is kinda slimy.
Pros
cheap staff luches
Cons
messy managment
Great place to work with fun, awesome coworkers.
Checkout Services Cash Administrator (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2013
IKEA is a great place to work. They pay good, comparable wages and offer great benefits after one year of employment. As a cash supervisor a typical work day for me would include opening the store, setting up the cash tills and completing the reconciliation. After these tasks are complete I generally do general clerical duties such as responding to emails, responding to phone messages, investigating and completing credit card chargebacks and faxing the results to the financial company.
The management is great, they are approachable and very friendly. They try to help out and make the job as easy as possible.The coworkers are also great people. Everyone is very friendly and approachable. Everyone is very hardworking and always willing to help out if there is any trouble.
The hardest part of my job would have to be disciplining coworkers. I know that it is part of my job, however, it is always hard to tell someone that they are not performing correctly.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be interacting with the customers. I am always talking and helping customers and making sure that their needs are met.
Pros
good wage, great benefits, flexibility
Cons
no career advancement
An incredible concept company to begin career with.
Assistant Store Manager - Vaughan (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 14, 2012
A matrix organization that taught me early that working in a collaborative, cross-functional environment develops the best business solutions. It is here that I developed a passion for seeking new ways to improve results, thinking outside the box, as the company values championed learning by doing, even making mistakes - to not to try something for fear of failure was worse than making the mistake.

I learned the value of low,first cost is paramount and the retailer has the obligation to help the vendor to best achieve it. This partnership between vendor and merchant/buyer has remained with me, and continues to foster long-term relationships with my vendor partners.

Great professional development offered for self-starters, an incredibly diverse company that was way ahead of its time.

A company that is value drive, guiding every coworkers actions, empowering each to deliver exceptional customer service.
Pros
value driven, diverse talent sought, team oriented solutions, non-bureacratic, simple, straight-forward management styles, fun environment.
Cons
small, flat canadian organization that has few opportunities for professional growth.
One of the highlights during my time at IKEA was Traveling to Sweden and working on the Canadian Catalogue Pricing and ordering.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond BCJanuary 21, 2015
I held a number of positions and loved all the benefits/learning that came along with every job I held.
I got to learn so much and had so many opportunities to share/teach what I leaned.
I had a lot of responsibility but I also had so much freedom to use my responsibility as I saw fit, in order to grow my team and the business, thus making a positive contribution to the bottom line and the quality of life for the co-worker.
I built so many great relationships with employees and customers, many that I still keep in touch with today.
It was a great company to work for and I truly enjoyed my time at IKEA.
After so many years with the company it was time to try something new. even thought I miss so many parts of my career at IKEA, if I hadn't taken the step to leave I would have missed to many great things that have happened in my life since I left.
To a new chapter in a forever changing world.
Pros
all the people i met and the traveling.
Cons
the company is loosing some of it s culture.
Good Prices/Nice Co Workers!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJune 1, 2015
I worked for Ikea for about four years. When I first worked their it was great. It was fun and the employees were treated great. Ikea lost their HR manager and it all went down hill from their. I stayed because of the hours I got and I was able to take my kids to and from school. I had one manager that was great when I started and understood about Job Work/Life Balance. However, the good ones often leave and she did.

Management changed and I stayed as long as I needed to. I even tried a few different areas. I appreciated the great hours at the beginning and a great HR manager. It seems for me it is always about poor management and micromanaging. I am the kind of person that likes to be given a job and left to do it. I could do this for the most part as a cashier. I really enjoyed the customers and loved going the extra mile. I enjoy learning from other people!

The hardest part of the job were the managers in the cash office. That is all I have to say about that!
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Poor management
Productive Workplace
Full Serve Warehouse Co-worker (Full time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2012
Day to day duties consisted of picking orders for customers from the shelf to piece together orders, such as kitchens, sofas, or room sets. Through out working in the warehouse I gained lots of computer system knowledge and inventory tracking systems as well as forklift experience as well as shipping and receiving. Management was fairly good for the most part when everyone was on the same page. Some days were completely unorganized and daily tasks would not be completed. Hardest part of the job would have been days when the team did not have all the resources it could have causing incomplete tasks, accidents, or lost items. The most enjoyable part of working at IKEA was how everyone could come together to complete what was needed but only when it was at a critical point. Otherwise driving forklift and working on large scale orders was nice.
Pros
free lunch on busy days, staff cafe, staff discount, flexible hours
Cons
staff shortage
Very good place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2012
Overall, IKEA was a great place to work. A typical day at work consisted of accepting basic customer returns, dealing with customer complaints, filling the hardware bins when needed. I learned a lot about the internal system that was used to complete the returns as well as "user roles" (customer complaints that needed to be rectified) within the system.

Management was excellent and my co-workers were always great to be around and very helpful when needed. Everyone always had a positive attitude while working. I gained a lot of close friends while working at IKEA.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the customers situations, but a solution was always found.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smile on the customers face after I had assisted them with whatever needed to be done.
Pros
positive attitudes while working
Cons
sporadic hours, policies are not made clear.
It was a great working experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCSeptember 5, 2014
Working at Ikea was a great learning experience. I have learnt many responsibilities and work ethics by being a part of their team. I enjoyed working with different people everyday, it helped me build excellent communication skills in English and French. I picked up my working pace very quickly due to the number of clients I have served everyday. Working as a cashier required memorization skills for the codes and had helped me build my strength in various ways. The reason why I left is due to the hours that were not enough for me. In Ikea the hours given per worker is based on seniority, the longer you've been working with the, the more hours you would receive to work. Since I have been there for a year I did not receive many hours that I needed to financially support myself. Overall Ikea was a great place to work and to gain experience.
Pros
leanred many useful skills
Cons
not enough hours
Fun workplace
Recovery Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 25, 2014
A typical day at work was usually filled with fun and laughter. Everyone in the department enjoyed each others company.

When I left, the management of my department was questionable. The man seemed more focused on asserting his authority and blatant favoritism that his management skills are at best laughable.

The hardest part of the job was the physical labor and massive influx of returned items. There was so many returns that the department did not have enough man power to deal with it all. On many occasions, massive amounts of product went straight to the garbage simply because there were few people to process it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. Although there was immense pressure to get the job done, at least there were people around to make jokes with.
Pros
higher wages
Cons
poor management choices, it's who you know not what you know
Total Responsibility for every aspect of sales and placement of products
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 23, 2014
• Responsible for the day to day operations of three departments, home organization, secondary storage and lighting.
• Operational Duties include: opening/closing, merchandising, recruiting, training, staff evaluations, department product promotions, evaluating all products on sales productivity and increasing sales on under performing products or product area’s.
• Responsible for weekly, monthly, and yearly sales.
• Present monthly business analysis on department productivity and budget targets.
• Prepare department business plans including product and budget forecasting.
• Duty Manager role providing primary support to all departments in regards to customer relations, emergency services and staff mentoring
Pros
family atmosphere
Cons
chances of advancement
Great Workplace with great people
Self Serve Coworker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 8, 2015
A typical day at work involves aiding customers and solving any issues they may have. We work as a team to keep the store in good order and to condense space for more products to be brought onto the sales floor. The managers in my department are the best I have ever had. My manager is one of the genuine persons I have had the pleasure of meeting. She is constantly asking for my feedback on how we can improve around the workplace, and she is also striving to help me meet my career goals. All of my co-workers are extremely helpful and are enjoyable to be around. The most enjoyable part of my job is the staff around me. The hardest part of the job is pleasing everyone because some customers will be unhappy no matter the circumstances. Everyone is like minded and striving to accomplish the same task.
Very busy company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ONApril 19, 2013
Each day I would work on either a self check-out section or a traditional cash lane. When working a traditional cash lane each individual is responsible for for their own cash float and balancing at the end of a shift. The job is very simple but made to be more difficult than needed due to their outdated computer systems and procedures. This makes it difficult because I believe in providing customers with a high level of customer service but without proper systems it is not easy to do. Ikea is a company known for a multi-cultural work environment and high standards for equality resulting in a good work environment.
Pros
employee discount, affordable lunches in employee room
Cons
outdated computers and procedures
Great place to be a coop student
Cooperative Education Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Although I have only "worked" at Ikea as a cooperative education student for high school, I would gladly work here more. Not only were Ikea's coworkers were welcoming but they were also very fun to be around. Despite being in just the Recovery department (the As-Is section to most), I personally enjoyed building the furniture and learning how to put together new products when they came in. Management and supervisors were really fun to be around as they do let loose quite bit while being serious on the job which basically means you won't have to worry about hating your boss.
Cons
When a customer shows up to ask a question it lowers productivity
very diverse working environment and big company!
Bedroom Sales (Current Employee) –  montreal, quebecJuly 7, 2015
They teach you what they expect for the company for each different departments and every 3 months, we get info session on emergency and phone codes via intercom during operating hours.

Learn a lot and grow from my experience during my 5 years at this company.

Co-workers are mostly friendly and team players.Working together, we are better!

The hardest job is the customer service area...guess its all the same anywhere and everywhere else for that matter. We have to learn to keep our cool and take it all in. That's how we do it in customer service!!
Pros
100% paid benefits on family insurance
Cons
unstable hours, no guaranteed hours during the year
Can be grueling or fun, but getting more and more busy
Warehouse Team Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2015
IKEA can be a great place to work. It has great benefits like decent medical benefits, discounts, culture and daily meals for only $4. There is great people to work with, and many ideals within the company. But there are bad parts. The pay is standard with retail work, so logistics gets it low. And the inefficiencies build up to create chaos. Some of the management have been in power for too long and the company will bend over backwards for its customer which can make some abusive to the system. And times have never been busier. The store is at capacity and the talks for expansion make little sense.
very productive and friendly place.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2015
fun and productive work place, I learned many things from other co-workers and also from my team leader and manager. their come from all over the world with many different background, yet we still can work as a great team.
the hardest part would be the hours (since it's a over night shift).
and the most enjoyable part is the feeling i had when we can get the job done 100%. because we know, although each of us have our own responsibility but still we work as a team. and it's such a great felling if we can reach the team goal than just our individual goal.
Pros
free beverages, relax room and employe discount.
Cons
part-time status
Great place to work in general
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 16, 2014
-Would cash out clients, trouble shoot with the cash computers when required, provide customer service.
-Learnt about the process of checking out, balancing at the end of the night and solutions for cash computer problems
-management was easy to work with, we had few cash supervisors
-Job was easy in general except certain situations that could be taken care of when the customers may have disagreed with prices or wanting discount.
-The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people
Pros
social environment, easy tasks, short hours
Cons
dealing with rude customers, had to work weekends