IKEA Employee Reviews in Canada

Very good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
IKEA provides staff with an amazing work environment. They are very flexible with schedules as they believe in work-life balance. The pay is competitive and the benefits are excellent.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Limited space
Employees have better working condition then managers!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 29, 2016
Very good job security. If you do the minimum, you're sure to never get fired!
Unfortunetly, the company doesn't react very efficiently to market fluctuations due to it's size (multinational).
Pay and benefits are very good but if you compare mangement to employees, the difference is not worth being a manager. 1$ difference between a team support and a manager.
Full-Serve Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 22, 2016
Great company to work for, great benefits package. Interaction with customers and the coworkers is the most pleasurable. Company operates with a great business model, which is outlined and supported fully by store management.
Benefits
Cons
Business hours
Excellent work culture, friendly co-workers
Sales & Customer service, IT Server Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 30, 2016
Students best place to start your career
Co-operative environment and improve your skills
Friendly management to share your thoughts
Great company, great benefits even for part-time
Services Team Support (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Ikea is a great company to work for because they really care about employees. Great overall work culture. Co-workers are fun, very helpful. Great lunches too!
Pros
great benefits/bonus program
Cons
customers
Great place to be a coop student
Cooperative Education Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Although I have only "worked" at Ikea as a cooperative education student for high school, I would gladly work here more. Not only were Ikea's coworkers were welcoming but they were also very fun to be around. Despite being in just the Recovery department (the As-Is section to most), I personally enjoyed building the furniture and learning how to put together new products when they came in. Management and supervisors were really fun to be around as they do let loose quite bit while being serious on the job which basically means you won't have to worry about hating your boss.
Cons
When a customer shows up to ask a question it lowers productivity
A welcoming and fun environment
Sales Associate / Builder (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I had truly a good time at IKEA and like how management included people in the day-to-day operation of the store. They constantly trained staff in ways to improve providing services. If you needed assistance, they were willing to help in anyway they can, I loved their accommodating ways. It's a great place to work, but wished they hired more full-time people and the pay was better, I would have stayed otherwise. Great employer, if you find a good opportunity to work there, head right over.
Pros
Flexible schedules, Employee Discount
Cons
Constantly on your feet
Can be grueling or fun, but getting more and more busy
Warehouse Team Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2015
IKEA can be a great place to work. It has great benefits like decent medical benefits, discounts, culture and daily meals for only $4. There is great people to work with, and many ideals within the company. But there are bad parts. The pay is standard with retail work, so logistics gets it low. And the inefficiencies build up to create chaos. Some of the management have been in power for too long and the company will bend over backwards for its customer which can make some abusive to the system. And times have never been busier. The store is at capacity and the talks for expansion make little sense.
Extremely friendly and down to earth enviroment
Sales Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 15, 2016
IKEA is an awesome place to work. Everyone is very friendly and no one hesitates to help when you need it. The management makes huge efforts to know each co-worker and acknowledges your achievements. Ive learned plenty about sales and marketing in a very fun and comfortable way. Some areas are very fast paced and some can be slow.It is important that you know what you prefer.
Pros
co-worker cafeteria, lounge area
Cons
Hard to get more hours
I would not have left IKEA if I hadn't got the job with APPLE
Recovery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 6, 2015
I liked to work in this place just because of the reason that I loved the products they sell and the discount you get as an employee. The management team was absolutely supportive of your work. the biggest thing that turned me off was the unionized employee system which I didn't approve of in my mind, and that which came true 6 months after I left the organization. the Richmond store was on strike for more than 1 year and 10 months which I would say was due to the bad or irresponsible action form the union that was running it.
Pros
Cons
union
Opening the shop in the morning, following up with replenishment staff and rectifying any issues with stock, good flow, tasks for staff daily.
Sales Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCNovember 25, 2015
Typical Day:

Making sure the shop is ready to greet the customer each day.
Organizing tasks according to priorities for the day.
Finding solutions to goods flow issues in the mornings and making adjustments during peak times, i.e. Sales Events.
Taking over tasks where needed to make things flow smoothly.
Helping coworkers with questions and finding solutions.

What I learned:

Learning to be proactive in a very fast moving environment that changed daily.
I learned that a happy team is more productive.
Clear communication is key to a successful team.
I learned about merchandising and sales steering according to Profit margin ratios and availability of goods.
Customer service and trust building with your customer. Meeting their needs and only promising what you know you can fulfill.
Egos have no place in a team environment. It is about the business and not about an individual's needs but making sure that everyone feels they are making a contribution in some way.

Management:

My Management team works hard to provide the staff with the support needed to run the shop at the highest level possible.
They try to support work/life balance as much as possible.

Coworkers:

The most amazing group of hardworking people I know.
All focused on a common goal.
Positive and dedicated.

Hardest Part of the Job:

Not being able to control everything.
Being proactive all the time is hard when things change so quickly.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:

Helping customers find solutions to their decorating needs and having them leave happy with new
  more... ideas.
Building relationships with Customers.
Working with amazing people everyday.
Pros
People, Work/Life Balance, Benefits
Cons
Shift work, weekends
Understanding workplace
IFS Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 12, 2016
A comfortable workplace where individuals look to better themselves and the service they provide.If given an opportunity take the chance and look to find methods to grow your career and experience.
Pros
Co-worker comradery
Cons
limited hours
Outstanding Company to work for
Office Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 14, 2015
A tropical day at work was busy, fast pace environment totally enjoyed it. I learned about different office proceedures, management was outstanding, co-workers were helpful, hardest part of the job was understanding the IKEA way of running a business, very interesting way. Most enjoyable part of the job was the environment was clean, enjoyable.
Pros
10% off merchandise! friendly staff.
Cons
Only part time work
Very friendly work environment and simple.
Restocking, handling merchandises and sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2016
Coworkers are pretty nice and friendly. Management can be pretty clique.

Work is pretty steady and easy until rush hour hits but very manageable.

Hardest part of the job is probably on a really busy day things can get hectic.
Pros
Lunches are cheap, steady work to get by the day
Cons
pretty bad shifts at times
Good Prices/Nice Co Workers!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJune 1, 2015
I worked for Ikea for about four years. When I first worked their it was great. It was fun and the employees were treated great. Ikea lost their HR manager and it all went down hill from their. I stayed because of the hours I got and I was able to take my kids to and from school. I had one manager that was great when I started and understood about Job Work/Life Balance. However, the good ones often leave and she did.

Management changed and I stayed as long as I needed to. I even tried a few different areas. I appreciated the great hours at the beginning and a great HR manager. It seems for me it is always about poor management and micromanaging. I am the kind of person that likes to be given a job and left to do it. I could do this for the most part as a cashier. I really enjoyed the customers and loved going the extra mile. I enjoy learning from other people!

The hardest part of the job were the managers in the cash office. That is all I have to say about that!
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Poor management
Job workshop
Cash Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor OntarioMarch 17, 2016
Don't understand you have a job workshop here in Windsor there were over 150 people taking only about six hours of our time and you need to 35 people and you go ahead and post do you need 35 people to work at your store so what is the qualifications to work at your store talking to some people some people had more than enough experience so what is the qualification that you need to work out at IKEA it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work there and dealing with the public that is my opinion
Cons
Workshop to me is ridiculous
Ideal workplace, great experience
Carts and CarryOut (Former Employee) –  WinnipegMay 12, 2015
I worked at IKEA for just under a year, but I wish that circumstances allowed me to stay longer. A great corporate culture (a little cult-like, but still) of investing in the employee experience made a great work environment. Management was friendly and helpful, as were co-workers. A lot is expected of you on shift, but breaks are all but enforced and work-life balance encouraged.
Fun and Enjoyable company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ONDecember 8, 2015
I love working at Ikea because of its diversity of employees.

Everyday is different. Full of challenges due to the variety of people that shops there.

Management is amazing to its employees and work ethic is strong.
Great part time job during high school.
Full Serve Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaOctober 14, 2015
Easily the friendliest place in Calgary!
IKEA is a great company with fun & happy coworkers.
it felt like i was part of a team that cared foe each other.
The management was filled of smart caring individuals that understood the importance of schooling.
Pros
coworkers / the pay / the flexibility
Cons
Fun work place with many social events
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  9090 cavendishSeptember 9, 2015
The morning started with a meeting before phone lines opened up. Our call center was the main call center responsible for all 12 stores across Canada. In customer service we received many calls from store hours, to if item was still in stock. Our resolution department it was for delivery inquiries to missing items from delivery and item being received damaged, etc.
Pros
friendly environment with a fully stock kitchen
Cons
management was changing and leaving groups with no teamleaders