IKEA

• Salary/Benefits
friendly staff very .very helpfull
Warehouse worker (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 26, 2015
fast paced work
learned the ins and outs of being a team player
learned great orginiation skills
customer relations
deadlines
inventory control
Can be grueling or fun, but getting more and more busy
Warehouse Team Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2015
IKEA can be a great place to work. It has great benefits like decent medical benefits, discounts, culture and daily meals for only $4. There is great people to work with, and many ideals within the company. But there are bad parts. The pay is standard with retail work, so logistics gets it low. And the inefficiencies build up to create chaos. Some of the management have been in power for too long and the company will bend over backwards for its customer which can make some abusive to the system. And times have never been busier. The store is at capacity and the talks for expansion make little sense.
Great Workplace with great people
Self Serve Coworker (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONJune 8, 2015
A typical day at work involves aiding customers and solving any issues they may have. We work as a team to keep the store in good order and to condense space for more products to be brought onto the sales floor. The managers in my department are the best I have ever had. My manager is one of the genuine persons I have had the pleasure of meeting. She is constantly asking for my feedback on how we can improve around the workplace, and she is also striving to help me meet my career goals. All of my co-workers are extremely helpful and are enjoyable to be around. The most enjoyable part of my job is the staff around me. The hardest part of the job is pleasing everyone because some customers will be unhappy no matter the circumstances. Everyone is like minded and striving to accomplish the same task.
Amazing workplace with fun and outgoing staff!
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONJune 8, 2015
Great place to work with unlimited opportunity for advancement. Great management staff and fun co-workers. Always a good time and the staff feels more like a family culture than co-workers.
Working for IKEA
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 4, 2015
Pros: cheap lunches
Cons: hard work, long hours, terrible communication, rude people
Although IKEA sells themselves in the orientation process, working for them was the worst 5 months of my life. It's strenuous on the body, they schedule you every weekend no matter what and they don't give you the proper information to actually do your job.

Worst place to work, do not apply.
Good Prices/Nice Co Workers!
Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJune 1, 2015
Pros: Good Hours
Cons: Poor management
I worked for Ikea for about four years. When I first worked their it was great. It was fun and the employees were treated great. Ikea lost their HR manager and it all went down hill from their. I stayed because of the hours I got and I was able to take my kids to and from school. I had one manager that was great when I started and understood about Job Work/Life Balance. However, the good ones often leave and she did.

Management changed and I stayed as long as I needed to. I even tried a few different areas. I appreciated the great hours at the beginning and a great HR manager. It seems for me it is always about poor management and micromanaging. I am the kind of person that likes to be given a job and left to do it. I could do this for the most part as a cashier. I really enjoyed the customers and loved going the extra mile. I enjoy learning from other people!

The hardest part of the job were the managers in the cash office. That is all I have to say about that!
Dynamic workplace
Furniture retailer - Cashier (Former Employee), Boucherville, QCMay 22, 2015
I could not have asked for a better first job experience. I have learned my customer service skills at Ikea and I have also learned how to manage difficult situations with clients.
Ideal workplace, great experience
Carts and CarryOut (Former Employee), WinnipegMay 12, 2015
I worked at IKEA for just under a year, but I wish that circumstances allowed me to stay longer. A great corporate culture (a little cult-like, but still) of investing in the employee experience made a great work environment. Management was friendly and helpful, as were co-workers. A lot is expected of you on shift, but breaks are all but enforced and work-life balance encouraged.
very productive and friendly place.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 24, 2015
Pros: free beverages, relax room and employe discount.
Cons: part-time status
fun and productive work place, I learned many things from other co-workers and also from my team leader and manager. their come from all over the world with many different background, yet we still can work as a great team.
the hardest part would be the hours (since it's a over night shift).
and the most enjoyable part is the feeling i had when we can get the job done 100%. because we know, although each of us have our own responsibility but still we work as a team. and it's such a great felling if we can reach the team goal than just our individual goal.
Productive and Fast Paced
After Sales Manager (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 10, 2015
A typical day at IKEA involved creating the store in shape as new for the opening business day. Working alongside coworkers in all areas of the store to deliver a positive customer service experience.
A great opportunity to elevate my work experience
sales associate (Former Employee), south edmonton commonFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: constantly busy, so days go by fast
Cons: work depends use of a lot of energy due to hauling boxes.
• Ensure a clean and accessible warehouse for customers to easily shop in
• Help customers load heavy furniture onto carts
• Gain knowledge on how to use ‘MHS’; an IKEA computer application
Work Summary
Strategic Business Analyst: Management (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONFebruary 7, 2015
I analyze sales trends and focus on lowering existing cost on a monthly basis. I prepare and review the Profit and Loss Statement to in turn examine the impacts of the overall business. I then take this analysis and consult with the management team on the potential opportunities they can take to maximize revenue and create efficiency. Overall, I am a contributor to the management team as an analyst to for better working business strategies
Friendly environment with foosball table in caf
Customer Service (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: incentives to win gifts
Cons: bid for work schedule
Great management staff that keeps you motivated.
Good location to learn about customer service.
Co-workers are friendly and social, it is easy to fit in.
Parties every 4 months and year-end to celebrate the success of the company.
Day starts off with a pep-talk, management would give stats of the day before and the expected goals for the week.
One of the highlights during my time at IKEA was Traveling to Sweden and working on the Canadian Catalogue Pricing and ordering.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee), Richmond BCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: all the people i met and the traveling.
Cons: the company is loosing some of it s culture.
I held a number of positions and loved all the benefits/learning that came along with every job I held.
I got to learn so much and had so many opportunities to share/teach what I leaned.
I had a lot of responsibility but I also had so much freedom to use my responsibility as I saw fit, in order to grow my team and the business, thus making a positive contribution to the bottom line and the quality of life for the co-worker.
I built so many great relationships with employees and customers, many that I still keep in touch with today.
It was a great company to work for and I truly enjoyed my time at IKEA.
After so many years with the company it was time to try something new. even thought I miss so many parts of my career at IKEA, if I hadn't taken the step to leave I would have missed to many great things that have happened in my life since I left.
To a new chapter in a forever changing world.
Professional atmosphere with plenty room for advancement
Customer Service Dept (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: subsidized meals
Cons: working outside during the winter
I started working for IKEA in their Carts department, bringing carts into the store from the parking lot. Additionally, I would help customers load their cars with merchandise as needed. IKEA treats its employees very well with good discounts and subsidized meals.
Very fast paced.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 31, 2014
Pros: lots of hours.
Cons: commute.
I would come in and serve people breakfast. Always had regulars. It was a great job with many opportunities. It was like being a part of a family.

I would handle cash. Clean, and stock.
Great team atmosphere
Cash Manager (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONNovember 23, 2014
Great culture & atmosphere
beneficial company to our environment
team building
strategic management skills
great customer service /resolution
great products
easy work life balance
Decent work environment but poor management and lack of opprotunity
warehouse worker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2014
Pros: benefits for part time
Cons: no room for advancement, poor management, inconsistent policies
The work is simple and pleasant enough however the hours were bad and inconsistent. There is no room for increasing hours or pay consistently unless you are hired as a manager. They do not like to promote from within their organization. Yearly wage increases are either meager or non existent.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee), North York, ONNovember 13, 2014
Its been great working at IKEA, however the lack of opportunities to become full time is challenging.
Social & Experience Benefits; Awful Management
Carts & Carryout Co-Worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2014
Pros: annual raises, meeting people, strong culture, higher-than-average retail wage
Cons: the managers!, constant battle for hours, unnecessary stress, faulty equipment, no-shows all the time, scatterbrained shifts
Working with customers was (almost) always one of the best parts of the job, even with the few bad apples you'd get. And you do end up learning a few things about working the job. You meet some great people who feel unified because of the cultural aspect of the job. Lastly, you make money...

However, management was the biggest pain in the behind. Favoritism, neglect, selective memory, non-stop excuses, false assumptions about your work behavior, borderline-authoritarian rules, unwillingness to hear and/or heed the opinions/concerns/suggestions of the department, clashing of different orders/tasks from different managers, and emotional/professional manipulation are just SOME of the things you'll experience from the managers in this store. It made the job extremely stressful to say the least.

I often worked by myself, even on busy days, in spite of the fact that the job required a minimum of two people for the tasks to be done efficiently and properly. Many people were no-shows or called in sick to avoid the work, and while I couldn't blame them because of the work conditions, it made my life that much harder. It was a battle just to stay employed in spite of the rather lousy work conditions for the department. Anxiety was a growing concern for me as I would always dread the shifts where I'd have to put up with the more negative aspects of the job, which was more often than not.

No appreciation was given for my near-flawless attendance record, even with the odd late arrival due to problems with transit. None was given for my willingness to fill in hours that were needed. Information – more... was constantly withheld from me; I was sometimes made to feel bad for mistakes that could have been corrected with additional staffing in my shifts; the equipment for the job was lousy and just barely worked, often failing or stalling at the worst of times, yet because of bureaucratic red-tape, nothing has been modestly repaired since the beginning of the year; cost-cutting measures and a cryptic, seemingly restrictive budget limited staffing & scheduling abilities; empty promises and shallow assurances from the upper echelons of management; lower-management (such as Duty Managers) would try to pawn off their duties on you any chance they'd get, in spite of how busy YOU were trying to get the job done, you know, the one you were being paid for. – less

December 23, 2014

One manager in particular would place blame on me for whenever another co-worker would have the radio (such as when I would be on breaks) and refused to answer the radio when called to assist a customer. This happened because they associated me with having the radio, simply because I worked the most hours and thus usually had the radio on my person; that's simply it, the blame was based on assumption rather than investigation. And I do mean REFUSE, because everyone hated holding onto the radio and avoided the customer-service angle of the job whenever they could. Anyway, one night, immediately after returning from a break, whereby I had left the radio with my other closing co-worker, one after another the floor managers converged on me getting angry about no one coming to help customers with their loadouts. The duty manager came out berating me, lecturing me about how I do my work, and when I had the chance to I pointed out that I didn't even have the radio the whole time they were trying to get customer assistance; my co-worker couldn't hear the radio while collecting carts in the lot, while I was on my fifteen-minute break. Half of all closing shifts I've ever done would be done alone or with someone who would do next to nothing to deserve their pay, usually standing around and slowly pushing carts back into the building. But they needed someone to blame for the problems of the department and because of how often I worked, and I worked my behind off, they used me as their scapegoat. I am glad that I don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore, ever since my last day.

1 2 3 4 5

About IKEA

IKEA is a Swedish company registered in the Netherlands that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture (such as beds, chairs, – Read more