IKEA Employee Reviews in Canada

Employees have better working condition then managers!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 29, 2016
Very good job security. If you do the minimum, you're sure to never get fired!
Unfortunetly, the company doesn't react very efficiently to market fluctuations due to it's size (multinational).
Pay and benefits are very good but if you compare mangement to employees, the difference is not worth being a manager. 1$ difference between a team support and a manager.
Full-Serve Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 22, 2016
Great company to work for, great benefits package. Interaction with customers and the coworkers is the most pleasurable. Company operates with a great business model, which is outlined and supported fully by store management.
Benefits
Cons
Business hours
Very good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
IKEA provides staff with an amazing work environment. They are very flexible with schedules as they believe in work-life balance. The pay is competitive and the benefits are excellent.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Limited space
Great company, great benefits even for part-time
Services Team Support (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Ikea is a great company to work for because they really care about employees. Great overall work culture. Co-workers are fun, very helpful. Great lunches too!
Pros
great benefits/bonus program
Cons
customers
Can be grueling or fun, but getting more and more busy
Warehouse Team Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2015
IKEA can be a great place to work. It has great benefits like decent medical benefits, discounts, culture and daily meals for only $4. There is great people to work with, and many ideals within the company. But there are bad parts. The pay is standard with retail work, so logistics gets it low. And the inefficiencies build up to create chaos. Some of the management have been in power for too long and the company will bend over backwards for its customer which can make some abusive to the system. And times have never been busier. The store is at capacity and the talks for expansion make little sense.
Inclusive & inspiring business culture
SALES COWORKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work would most likely take place on the sales floor, and consist of communicating product and safety knowledge with customers. This would include providing an understanding of product use, designing furniture systems within the IKEA range to suit the customers needs, and ensuring a level of quality satisfaction. In many seperate instances, I could also be found constructing IKEA furniture for Showroom display, leading sales training intiatives, creating sales graphics, and leading charitable promotions. The workplace was always fun and occasionally challenging which creates a very satisfying retail environment to be apart of.
Pros
Great Coworkers, Health Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexibility around school
very diverse working environment and big company!
Bedroom Sales (Current Employee) –  montreal, quebecJuly 7, 2015
They teach you what they expect for the company for each different departments and every 3 months, we get info session on emergency and phone codes via intercom during operating hours.

Learn a lot and grow from my experience during my 5 years at this company.

Co-workers are mostly friendly and team players.Working together, we are better!

The hardest job is the customer service area...guess its all the same anywhere and everywhere else for that matter. We have to learn to keep our cool and take it all in. That's how we do it in customer service!!
Pros
100% paid benefits on family insurance
Cons
unstable hours, no guaranteed hours during the year
Opening the shop in the morning, following up with replenishment staff and rectifying any issues with stock, good flow, tasks for staff daily.
Sales Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCNovember 25, 2015
Typical Day:

Making sure the shop is ready to greet the customer each day.
Organizing tasks according to priorities for the day.
Finding solutions to goods flow issues in the mornings and making adjustments during peak times, i.e. Sales Events.
Taking over tasks where needed to make things flow smoothly.
Helping coworkers with questions and finding solutions.

What I learned:

Learning to be proactive in a very fast moving environment that changed daily.
I learned that a happy team is more productive.
Clear communication is key to a successful team.
I learned about merchandising and sales steering according to Profit margin ratios and availability of goods.
Customer service and trust building with your customer. Meeting their needs and only promising what you know you can fulfill.
Egos have no place in a team environment. It is about the business and not about an individual's needs but making sure that everyone feels they are making a contribution in some way.

Management:

My Management team works hard to provide the staff with the support needed to run the shop at the highest level possible.
They try to support work/life balance as much as possible.

Coworkers:

The most amazing group of hardworking people I know.
All focused on a common goal.
Positive and dedicated.

Hardest Part of the Job:

Not being able to control everything.
Being proactive all the time is hard when things change so quickly.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:

Helping customers find solutions to their decorating needs and having them leave happy with new
  more... ideas.
Building relationships with Customers.
Working with amazing people everyday.
Pros
People, Work/Life Balance, Benefits
Cons
Shift work, weekends
Both heavy and light lifting
Mover (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 19, 2015
Well I'm a mover in this company and love to do this job because this job is moving from one place to another. Moreover, it was a customer service job.
Pros
Work in an open world and good salary.
Cons
Traffic problems
Don't appreciate you in the long run.
Recovery Associate/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 10, 2015
Good pay and great benefits..... HR is a different story. Some half decent managers but a few should not be at all. Great hours having weekends off and having a 15%discount on purchases was not bad as well.
Excellent work culture, friendly co-workers
Sales & Customer service, IT Server Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 30, 2016
Students best place to start your career
Co-operative environment and improve your skills
Friendly management to share your thoughts
Great place to be a coop student
Cooperative Education Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Although I have only "worked" at Ikea as a cooperative education student for high school, I would gladly work here more. Not only were Ikea's coworkers were welcoming but they were also very fun to be around. Despite being in just the Recovery department (the As-Is section to most), I personally enjoyed building the furniture and learning how to put together new products when they came in. Management and supervisors were really fun to be around as they do let loose quite bit while being serious on the job which basically means you won't have to worry about hating your boss.
Cons
When a customer shows up to ask a question it lowers productivity
A welcoming and fun environment
Sales Associate / Builder (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I had truly a good time at IKEA and like how management included people in the day-to-day operation of the store. They constantly trained staff in ways to improve providing services. If you needed assistance, they were willing to help in anyway they can, I loved their accommodating ways. It's a great place to work, but wished they hired more full-time people and the pay was better, I would have stayed otherwise. Great employer, if you find a good opportunity to work there, head right over.
Pros
Flexible schedules, Employee Discount
Cons
Constantly on your feet
Warehouse Order Picker
Full-Serve Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 13, 2016
With my experience with Ikea. Management was not the best. My respinding Managers never ever! communicated. They hired to many people that diminished the hours. We were a "team" of 15 plus 2 managers. 7 people where full-time and the rest were part time. I quit ikea because they really just pushed me away from ikea. I tried to voice my opinion and it was ignored. I will never shop or anything with ikea ever again.
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
Management, wage, discount and advancement.
Extremely friendly and down to earth enviroment
Sales Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 15, 2016
IKEA is an awesome place to work. Everyone is very friendly and no one hesitates to help when you need it. The management makes huge efforts to know each co-worker and acknowledges your achievements. Ive learned plenty about sales and marketing in a very fun and comfortable way. Some areas are very fast paced and some can be slow.It is important that you know what you prefer.
Pros
co-worker cafeteria, lounge area
Cons
Hard to get more hours
Dishwasher
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  1311 102 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6N 1M3July 19, 2016
A typical day was hot inside a small room filled with hot water and steam. I learned about how to properly clean dishes, stack dishes and put dishes away. My manager's were accomidating and understanding. My co-workers were talkitive and would always joke about the heat. The hardest part about working at Ikea was trying to keep the water out of my shoes. The most enjoyable part was the environment and the free lunches/ dinners.
Job workshop
Cash Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor OntarioMarch 17, 2016
Don't understand you have a job workshop here in Windsor there were over 150 people taking only about six hours of our time and you need to 35 people and you go ahead and post do you need 35 people to work at your store so what is the qualifications to work at your store talking to some people some people had more than enough experience so what is the qualification that you need to work out at IKEA it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work there and dealing with the public that is my opinion
Cons
Workshop to me is ridiculous
Fun family style workplace
Sales Coworker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2016
-I learned lots about furniture / home decorating
-management can sometimes be a little cliquey but overall ok
-the coworkers I interacted with were awesome
-hardest part of the job was dealing with tricky customers
-most enjoyable part of the job was the perks and staff parties
Pros
staff cafeteria and occaional free lunches
Cons
a lot of walking
I would not have left IKEA if I hadn't got the job with APPLE
Recovery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 6, 2015
I liked to work in this place just because of the reason that I loved the products they sell and the discount you get as an employee. The management team was absolutely supportive of your work. the biggest thing that turned me off was the unionized employee system which I didn't approve of in my mind, and that which came true 6 months after I left the organization. the Richmond store was on strike for more than 1 year and 10 months which I would say was due to the bad or irresponsible action form the union that was running it.
Pros
Cons
union
Understanding workplace
IFS Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 12, 2016
A comfortable workplace where individuals look to better themselves and the service they provide.If given an opportunity take the chance and look to find methods to grow your career and experience.
Pros
Co-worker comradery
Cons
limited hours