IKEA Employee Reviews

Fast paced and involved work environment but slow to change
Bistro & Restaurant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON31 January 2017
Work is very straight forward with not too much change day-per-day but allows enough leeway to perform work effectively. Very heavily customer dependent and, due to general nature of IKEA, will have a great amount of customer interaction especially for questions. Management is usually quick to respond and very helpful but due to exceedingly high volume of customers at any given time they can be stretched thin. Generally a great environment to work in with great co-workers but can be taxing due to strain of volume.
Pros
High coworker involvement and praise, high advancement opportunities, good benefits, daily updated staff menu with vegetarian options, staff discounts on most products
Cons
can be very taxing both physical and mental, high volume of customers
Good job to occupy yourself
Cart Organizer at Ikea Vaughan (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON1 February 2017
The job as a cart organizer is a job to do if you need some quick money. You have the freedom to work more or less hours although they will cap you at a certain point due to not wanting to pay overtime wages. It is a job to keep in between jobs because the pay is low and their is not much ambition to organize carts in a cart room. Ikea does hire from within mainly so there are many opportunities to move into a position with higher pay and benefits.
Pros
discounts on entire store
Cons
physically demanding especially in the extreme heat and extreme cold.
Ikea values customer, co-worker, and career growth
Food Counter Attendant and Cashier (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2017
Overall, Ikea is a very welcoming environment for it's coworkers. They provide good salary, and benefits. Provides proper training and ongoing career advancement. Really takes care of their staff. I really loved working there!
Pros
Salary, benefits, co-workers, managers
Cons
Busy
Fantastic, even as an associate
Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2016
I don't think I have ever worked in a place that I enjoy so much. IKEA really checks off all the boxes to keep their employees happy.Their compensation packages are phenomenal and can support a parent. The pay is not something to complain about either. It's fairly decent and you get opportunities and changes to advance or gain a pay raise. Management is fantastic, they are thorough and try their best to accommodate their employees. Their HR practices are very good and make you feel safe in your job. The atmosphere is also great, it is positive, reinforcing and supportive.

What I've learned:
As my education background is in HR, I truly admire their practices in IKEA and their business models. I've learned what makes employees happy and what is considered fair and how to apply them.

The hardest part:
The hardest part in a retail industry will always be customers. Other than that there isn't much to complain about.

The job is straightforward, you complete your daily tasks and touch base with your manager, assistant manager, supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Great upper management, subsidized lunches
Cons
customers
Opinion
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2016
A typical day at work is usually busy in the weekends. What I learned is that Ikea is a great company to work with because it provides good benefits. The co-workers I work with are very friendly. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get complimented by the customers with my work ethic and also my good customer service.
Pros
benefits for part- time
Cons
having to stand up for long period
Fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 January 2017
Great work place atmosphere where the manager-employee-customer dynamics are what holds ip the company. Customer satisfaction is important and priority and employee benefits are amazing.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No cons
Fun, fast-paced workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC3 February 2017
Entry-level jobs are perfect for students as they are very flexible. Good benefits. Often there is not enough staff for busy days.
Inclusive & inspiring business culture
SALES COWORKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
A typical day at work would most likely take place on the sales floor, and consist of communicating product and safety knowledge with customers. This would include providing an understanding of product use, designing furniture systems within the IKEA range to suit the customers needs, and ensuring a level of quality satisfaction. In many seperate instances, I could also be found constructing IKEA furniture for Showroom display, leading sales training intiatives, creating sales graphics, and leading charitable promotions. The workplace was always fun and occasionally challenging which creates a very satisfying retail environment to be apart of.
Pros
Great Coworkers, Health Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexibility around school
cool culture and values - work hard, have fun!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 March 2017
awesome culture and values which makes going to work feel like working with your friends as we are all, "on the same page". some bad apples in top management who can poison the workplace - make sure to interview with everyone you will be dealing with!
Pros
low cost lunches, coworker lounge areas, sustainability focus, community involvement, bonus program
Cons
ever changing priorities, large projects are not executed professionally
productive place
Cart Attendant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 July 2016
The company has a good review. My coworkers are easy and fun to be with. The management is being helpful. I learn to be patient and to multitask.
Pros
Dental and medical benefits
Cons
Short hours
Employees have better working condition then managers!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 March 2016
Very good job security. If you do the minimum, you're sure to never get fired!
Unfortunetly, the company doesn't react very efficiently to market fluctuations due to it's size (multinational).
Pay and benefits are very good but if you compare mangement to employees, the difference is not worth being a manager. 1$ difference between a team support and a manager.
Productive, friendly an amazing environment
Logistics- Goods Flow Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 January 2017
One of the best companies to work around the world.
They do what they write.
An unforgettable experience that has allowed me to keep reading about the company goals and activities.
The Managers and every single coworker had a friendly and respectful attitude.
Amazing store with excellent value for money approach.
I would really have kept in mind that experience, and much more, I am following its performance every week, much more its sustainability approach.
Pros
all
Cons
any
Favorite Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 February 2017
Best place to work for. They absolutely care about their staff members. Good place for advancement! Pay is below average, but the lunches and staff discount make up for that.
Best job ever!
Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VA21 February 2017
Promoted to newly-created position to manage the Accounting, Payroll and IT departments and to facilitate and coordinate the store’s internal controls and audit compliance system. Also oversaw the sales revenue trends, inventory management, customer returns and services.
Fast paced work
part time Kitchen worker and server (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC1 December 2016
A typical day at work would entail a different role. Each time. I worked in the back of the kitchen handling dishes, cleaning tables as well as serving of hot meals to IKEA customers. A challenge I sometimes faced would be the fast paced shifts would become so busy leading us to become a bit organised. I feel I used my problem solving skills and communication skills to discuss with fellow co workers about what needed to be done. Over all I would say the experience taught me perseverance and I would work there again.
Place That Needs To Show More Respect to their Employees
Self Serve CoWorker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 August 2016
At first the job was alright, understandably I was to go through the learning process before promotion however no matter what I would do to advance through the company it seems like everything that I had done over and above expectations was blown off by managers.

My work schedule has failed to accommodate my life schedule and it feels like I'm only meant to work IKEA without any concern for my life out of work. I'm tired and stressed and unfortunately it has changed my attitude at the work place.

The Coworkers can be from anywhere from friendly and helpful to lazy and uncooperative I feel like the pack mule most of the time at work. Most times I feel as if we are understaffed 9/10 causing more pressure to myself and others on the floor.

All in all IKEA seems to be a decent company but I would seriously reconsider applying to this company. It's not worth it for your sanity unless you are all in for IKEA
Pros
Lunch Discounts
Cons
Irratic Scheduling, Glass Ceiling Promotion, Managers Seem to care but don't
Full-Serve Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC22 March 2016
Great company to work for, great benefits package. Interaction with customers and the coworkers is the most pleasurable. Company operates with a great business model, which is outlined and supported fully by store management.
Benefits
Cons
Business hours
Diverse environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 May 2016
Loved the diversity of this workplace. Amazing co-workers that were extremely kind when I was new. They were very helpful during my training period.
Benefits
Cons
Standing
Ikea
CHECK-OUT SERVICES TEAM SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON19 February 2017
Ikea is one of the best companies that I have ever worked at. The atmosphere and the people are amazing. They definitely embody the values that they state on their webpage. They are very inclusive and make you feel like you are a part of one very big family.
Horrible delivery counter managers
Delivery counter (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC21 September 2016
The bosses who work at the delivery counter suck. They are so rude to the employees and walk around like they know everything!!! One in particular i have lots of hateful words for her. She makes coming into work horrible. Do yourself a favor if you work for ikea dont work by the delivery counter you'll regret every minute of it
Pros
Ikea discount on food and drivers are funny