IKEA Employee Reviews

Fast paced work
part time Kitchen worker and server (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC1 December 2016
A typical day at work would entail a different role. Each time. I worked in the back of the kitchen handling dishes, cleaning tables as well as serving of hot meals to IKEA customers. A challenge I sometimes faced would be the fast paced shifts would become so busy leading us to become a bit organised. I feel I used my problem solving skills and communication skills to discuss with fellow co workers about what needed to be done. Over all I would say the experience taught me perseverance and I would work there again.
Opinion
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2016
A typical day at work is usually busy in the weekends. What I learned is that Ikea is a great company to work with because it provides good benefits. The co-workers I work with are very friendly. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get complimented by the customers with my work ethic and also my good customer service.
Pros
benefits for part- time
Cons
having to stand up for long period
Horrible delivery counter managers
Delivery counter (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC21 September 2016
The bosses who work at the delivery counter suck. They are so rude to the employees and walk around like they know everything!!! One in particular i have lots of hateful words for her. She makes coming into work horrible. Do yourself a favor if you work for ikea dont work by the delivery counter you'll regret every minute of it
Pros
Ikea discount on food and drivers are funny
Terrible experience
Check out services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
I did not enjoy working here at all. Some of the associates were awesome. The managers had fake attitudes. They gossiped about you instead of telling you what you were doing wrong. I felt uncomfortable and miserable there and would often come home feeling depressed. Not to mention they cut my hrs severely. Their excuse was, they thought I was going back to school. I knew that was a lie. I never wanna go there again
Pros
Awesome coworkers and discounts
Cons
Management, short hours
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 December 2016
I had fun working there, nice ambiance and great people! They are all social persons, great with customers in every departments. The managers are very nice, they like helping us in getting to know the system. Perhaps, they are very strict about everything.
Pros
When there was a rush we had free lunch
Self Serve Warehouse Sales
Self-service Warehouse - Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 January 2017
Out of all the big box retailers in Winnipeg, IKEA would be the absolute best. I have never worked for a company that cared so much for their employees as much as IKEA did. Would recommend to anyone looking to apply.
fun workplace environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
everyone was very helpful it didn't matter what kind of day you were having there was always someone there to make sure that your fine the hardest part of the job was when it was weekend of a holiday it was very busy but there was always help
Dishwasher
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  1311 102 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6N 1M319 July 2016
A typical day was hot inside a small room filled with hot water and steam. I learned about how to properly clean dishes, stack dishes and put dishes away. My manager's were accomidating and understanding. My co-workers were talkitive and would always joke about the heat. The hardest part about working at Ikea was trying to keep the water out of my shoes. The most enjoyable part was the environment and the free lunches/ dinners.
Fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 January 2017
Great work place atmosphere where the manager-employee-customer dynamics are what holds ip the company. Customer satisfaction is important and priority and employee benefits are amazing.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No cons
Great company to develop various competences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 October 2016
1) Good for students to be working part time and manage school/work balance
2) Company that gives a lot of opportunity to grow and to apply to more important positions. Company's visions is clear and easy to apply.
Great fun company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 October 2016
Great place to work, met and still have many great friends I met there, weekly hours not great. They don't gaurentee full time hours to PT, but it is possible to pick up shifts. Great as a part time job.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Weekends/hours
Ikea North York
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
The store I work at is the busiest in the city and one pf the busiest in the country. There is always a lack of coworkers on busy periods and managers make you stay late. The pay is very low for such a huge retailer and the location is hardly accessible.
Good environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON26 December 2016
Good coworkers who were supportive and reasonable with unreasonable and rude customers. Able to give input on work culture. Fun work environment where you really learn patience.
Fun family style workplace
Sales Coworker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2016
-I learned lots about furniture / home decorating
-management can sometimes be a little cliquey but overall ok
-the coworkers I interacted with were awesome
-hardest part of the job was dealing with tricky customers
-most enjoyable part of the job was the perks and staff parties
Pros
staff cafeteria and occaional free lunches
Cons
a lot of walking
Warehouse Order Picker
Full-Serve Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2016
With my experience with Ikea. Management was not the best. My respinding Managers never ever! communicated. They hired to many people that diminished the hours. We were a "team" of 15 plus 2 managers. 7 people where full-time and the rest were part time. I quit ikea because they really just pushed me away from ikea. I tried to voice my opinion and it was ignored. I will never shop or anything with ikea ever again.
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
Management, wage, discount and advancement.
Productive and fun workplace
Aftersales Resolutions Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 January 2017
Productive and fun workplace.....Team leaders and managers have you best interest at heart.....Coworkers will rally to help you when you are in a crisis
Inclusive & inspiring business culture
SALES COWORKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
A typical day at work would most likely take place on the sales floor, and consist of communicating product and safety knowledge with customers. This would include providing an understanding of product use, designing furniture systems within the IKEA range to suit the customers needs, and ensuring a level of quality satisfaction. In many seperate instances, I could also be found constructing IKEA furniture for Showroom display, leading sales training intiatives, creating sales graphics, and leading charitable promotions. The workplace was always fun and occasionally challenging which creates a very satisfying retail environment to be apart of.
Pros
Great Coworkers, Health Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexibility around school
Overall, a stable place to work.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2016
I was not happy with the amount of hours I was given, as I had to juggle my hours with work and school. Sometimes, I would just have too much work to handle for a working student.
Productive, kind and understanding workplace.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 November 2016
Everyone has a smile on there face, and its a nice play to work because you can be yourself without feeling uncomfortable.
Place That Needs To Show More Respect to their Employees
Self Serve CoWorker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 August 2016
At first the job was alright, understandably I was to go through the learning process before promotion however no matter what I would do to advance through the company it seems like everything that I had done over and above expectations was blown off by managers.

My work schedule has failed to accommodate my life schedule and it feels like I'm only meant to work IKEA without any concern for my life out of work. I'm tired and stressed and unfortunately it has changed my attitude at the work place.

The Coworkers can be from anywhere from friendly and helpful to lazy and uncooperative I feel like the pack mule most of the time at work. Most times I feel as if we are understaffed 9/10 causing more pressure to myself and others on the floor.

All in all IKEA seems to be a decent company but I would seriously reconsider applying to this company. It's not worth it for your sanity unless you are all in for IKEA
Pros
Lunch Discounts
Cons
Irratic Scheduling, Glass Ceiling Promotion, Managers Seem to care but don't