IKEA

IKEA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Ideal workplace, great experience
Carts and CarryOut (Former Employee), WinnipegMay 12, 2015
I worked at IKEA for just under a year, but I wish that circumstances allowed me to stay longer. A great corporate culture (a little cult-like, but still) of investing in the employee experience made a great work environment. Management was friendly and helpful, as were co-workers. A lot is expected of you on shift, but breaks are all but enforced and work-life balance encouraged.
very productive and friendly place.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 24, 2015
Pros: free beverages, relax room and employe discount.
Cons: part-time status
fun and productive work place, I learned many things from other co-workers and also from my team leader and manager. their come from all over the world with many different background, yet we still can work as a great team.
the hardest part would be the hours (since it's a over night shift).
and the most enjoyable part is the feeling i had when we can get the job done 100%. because we know, although each of us have our own responsibility but still we work as a team. and it's such a great felling if we can reach the team goal than just our individual goal.
Productive and Fast Paced
After Sales Manager (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 10, 2015
A typical day at IKEA involved creating the store in shape as new for the opening business day. Working alongside coworkers in all areas of the store to deliver a positive customer service experience.
A great opportunity to elevate my work experience
sales associate (Former Employee), south edmonton commonFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: constantly busy, so days go by fast
Cons: work depends use of a lot of energy due to hauling boxes.
• Ensure a clean and accessible warehouse for customers to easily shop in
• Help customers load heavy furniture onto carts
• Gain knowledge on how to use ‘MHS’; an IKEA computer application
Work Summary
Strategic Business Analyst: Management (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONFebruary 7, 2015
I analyze sales trends and focus on lowering existing cost on a monthly basis. I prepare and review the Profit and Loss Statement to in turn examine the impacts of the overall business. I then take this analysis and consult with the management team on the potential opportunities they can take to maximize revenue and create efficiency. Overall, I am a contributor to the management team as an analyst to for better working business strategies
Friendly environment with foosball table in caf
Customer Service (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: incentives to win gifts
Cons: bid for work schedule
Great management staff that keeps you motivated.
Good location to learn about customer service.
Co-workers are friendly and social, it is easy to fit in.
Parties every 4 months and year-end to celebrate the success of the company.
Day starts off with a pep-talk, management would give stats of the day before and the expected goals for the week.
One of the highlights during my time at IKEA was Traveling to Sweden and working on the Canadian Catalogue Pricing and ordering.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee), Richmond BCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: all the people i met and the traveling.
Cons: the company is loosing some of it s culture.
I held a number of positions and loved all the benefits/learning that came along with every job I held.
I got to learn so much and had so many opportunities to share/teach what I leaned.
I had a lot of responsibility but I also had so much freedom to use my responsibility as I saw fit, in order to grow my team and the business, thus making a positive contribution to the bottom line and the quality of life for the co-worker.
I built so many great relationships with employees and customers, many that I still keep in touch with today.
It was a great company to work for and I truly enjoyed my time at IKEA.
After so many years with the company it was time to try something new. even thought I miss so many parts of my career at IKEA, if I hadn't taken the step to leave I would have missed to many great things that have happened in my life since I left.
To a new chapter in a forever changing world.
Professional atmosphere with plenty room for advancement
Customer Service Dept (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: subsidized meals
Cons: working outside during the winter
I started working for IKEA in their Carts department, bringing carts into the store from the parking lot. Additionally, I would help customers load their cars with merchandise as needed. IKEA treats its employees very well with good discounts and subsidized meals.
Very fast paced.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 31, 2014
Pros: lots of hours.
Cons: commute.
I would come in and serve people breakfast. Always had regulars. It was a great job with many opportunities. It was like being a part of a family.

I would handle cash. Clean, and stock.
Great team atmosphere
Cash Manager (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONNovember 23, 2014
Great culture & atmosphere
beneficial company to our environment
team building
strategic management skills
great customer service /resolution
great products
easy work life balance
Decent work environment but poor management and lack of opprotunity
warehouse worker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2014
Pros: benefits for part time
Cons: no room for advancement, poor management, inconsistent policies
The work is simple and pleasant enough however the hours were bad and inconsistent. There is no room for increasing hours or pay consistently unless you are hired as a manager. They do not like to promote from within their organization. Yearly wage increases are either meager or non existent.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee), North York, ONNovember 13, 2014
Its been great working at IKEA, however the lack of opportunities to become full time is challenging.
Social & Experience Benefits; Awful Management
Carts & Carryout Co-Worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2014
Pros: annual raises, meeting people, strong culture, higher-than-average retail wage
Cons: the managers!, constant battle for hours, unnecessary stress, faulty equipment, no-shows all the time, scatterbrained shifts
Working with customers was (almost) always one of the best parts of the job, even with the few bad apples you'd get. And you do end up learning a few things about working the job. You meet some great people who feel unified because of the cultural aspect of the job. Lastly, you make money...

However, management was the biggest pain in the behind. Favoritism, neglect, selective memory, non-stop excuses, false assumptions about your work behavior, borderline-authoritarian rules, unwillingness to hear and/or heed the opinions/concerns/suggestions of the department, clashing of different orders/tasks from different managers, and emotional/professional manipulation are just SOME of the things you'll experience from the managers in this store. It made the job extremely stressful to say the least.

I often worked by myself, even on busy days, in spite of the fact that the job required a minimum of two people for the tasks to be done efficiently and properly. Many people were no-shows or called in sick to avoid the work, and while I couldn't blame them because of the work conditions, it made my life that much harder. It was a battle just to stay employed in spite of the rather lousy work conditions for the department. Anxiety was a growing concern for me as I would always dread the shifts where I'd have to put up with the more negative aspects of the job, which was more often than not.

No appreciation was given for my near-flawless attendance record, even with the odd late arrival due to problems with transit. None was given for my willingness to fill in hours that were needed. Information – more... was constantly withheld from me; I was sometimes made to feel bad for mistakes that could have been corrected with additional staffing in my shifts; the equipment for the job was lousy and just barely worked, often failing or stalling at the worst of times, yet because of bureaucratic red-tape, nothing has been modestly repaired since the beginning of the year; cost-cutting measures and a cryptic, seemingly restrictive budget limited staffing & scheduling abilities; empty promises and shallow assurances from the upper echelons of management; lower-management (such as Duty Managers) would try to pawn off their duties on you any chance they'd get, in spite of how busy YOU were trying to get the job done, you know, the one you were being paid for. – less

December 23, 2014

One manager in particular would place blame on me for whenever another co-worker would have the radio (such as when I would be on breaks) and refused to answer the radio when called to assist a customer. This happened because they associated me with having the radio, simply because I worked the most hours and thus usually had the radio on my person; that's simply it, the blame was based on assumption rather than investigation. And I do mean REFUSE, because everyone hated holding onto the radio and avoided the customer-service angle of the job whenever they could. Anyway, one night, immediately after returning from a break, whereby I had left the radio with my other closing co-worker, one after another the floor managers converged on me getting angry about no one coming to help customers with their loadouts. The duty manager came out berating me, lecturing me about how I do my work, and when I had the chance to I pointed out that I didn't even have the radio the whole time they were trying to get customer assistance; my co-worker couldn't hear the radio while collecting carts in the lot, while I was on my fifteen-minute break. Half of all closing shifts I've ever done would be done alone or with someone who would do next to nothing to deserve their pay, usually standing around and slowly pushing carts back into the building. But they needed someone to blame for the problems of the department and because of how often I worked, and I worked my behind off, they used me as their scapegoat. I am glad that I don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore, ever since my last day.

Fun place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 28, 2014
Pros: positive team enviornment.
Cons: lack of opportunities for advancement
Support and Steer the management team to develop the store's annual P&L, financial goals and objectives and update forecast throughout the fiscal year. Full responsibilities for Resource planning, payroll, billing, project reporting, financial statement production and distribution, and preparation of operating budgets.
Bad
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, BCOctober 17, 2014
This company treats you like a number not a valued person with a wealth of knowledge
Friendly coworkers
Kitchen Planner/Customer Service (Former Employee), TorontoOctober 7, 2014
Pros: friendly coworkers
Cons: biased management team
I used to love working at IKEA for the simple reason that the "IKEA culture" was fantastic. You felt well-loved and appreciated. The management team has changed drastically in the last few years, and things have not been the same. Employee turnover is high now, when it used to be low. Most of the coworkers are great and I have made life-long friends with many.
good spot to work
Goods Flow Co-Worker (Former Employee), vaughanOctober 2, 2014
friendly staff , easy to learn and advance if your aim is that
It was a great working experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Montreal, QCSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: leanred many useful skills
Cons: not enough hours
Working at Ikea was a great learning experience. I have learnt many responsibilities and work ethics by being a part of their team. I enjoyed working with different people everyday, it helped me build excellent communication skills in English and French. I picked up my working pace very quickly due to the number of clients I have served everyday. Working as a cashier required memorization skills for the codes and had helped me build my strength in various ways. The reason why I left is due to the hours that were not enough for me. In Ikea the hours given per worker is based on seniority, the longer you've been working with the, the more hours you would receive to work. Since I have been there for a year I did not receive many hours that I needed to financially support myself. Overall Ikea was a great place to work and to gain experience.
WORK
Product Loans Specialist (Current Employee), IKEA ETOBICOKEAugust 24, 2014
Pros: sometimes free lunch
Cons: long houres
- typical day at work
- arrival at 8:30
- finish at 5-7 pm

I'm sorry I cant add any more feed back about my current company.
Structured work
Forklift Driver and General Laborer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 24, 2014
The people are very nice, A very positive environment, and very involved in the company. Almost never full time hours, but decent wages.

1 2 3 4 5

About IKEA

IKEA is a Swedish company registered in the Netherlands that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture (such as beds, chairs, – Read more