IDEXX Laboratories Employee Reviews

Good Company, hard to advance without a degree.
Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC20 April 2017
I loved my time here, it was interesting and a pretty fun environment although many people who were capable of performing various skills in the company were held back due to politics and management. The high pressure to work faster and get more done and to a very high, often unachievable standard lead to a stressful, sometimes biased work environment.
Pros
Good wages, each day the same but with different information, made it fun.
Cons
Lack of chance to advance. Hard to get in, no one leaves even if on long term sick leave.
n/a
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 April 2017
I enjoyed working there, I've learned new skills.I've done my practical there, after my graduation from MLT program.The most enjoyable part was that I've learned using a microscope.
Good entry level job
Immunology Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
worked on the bench for a year. enjoyed the time there although my department was slashed near the end of the season due to seasonal shortage of work
Excellent Place to work
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC1 December 2015
Lots of on the job training. I learned a lot during my time working with IDEXX. Company now becoming too profit oriented, seems to care less about it's employees.
Pros
Regular updates in training
Cons
Great workplace, friendly co-workers & managers
Parasitology Specimen Processor (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 October 2015
Completed my internship at IDEXX where they treated me kindly and respect. Had great co-workers and supervisor. The parasitolgy lead doctor was excellent to me.
Nightshift and Heartworm season make this career very one sided
Specimen Processor I (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON10 May 2015
Idexx is great if you get in on the day shift. Night shift however is difficult, exhausting and comparatively lower pay than most night shift work. If you are single the lack of Job/Life balance isn't a hindrance.
Pros
Excellent laboratory, great place to learn skills
Cons
Night shift, low permanent staff retainment
don't expect anything at all from this place
Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  Markham ON.2 December 2014
I strongly agree with other comments that said "work here ONLY if you really have to".

I worked as a specimen processor for about 6 months, night shift. My work hours are from 10:30PM to 7AM everyday, 6 days a week. At the beginning, I didn't like how I was the only one in the entire department working the night shift, cause I like to work with people, and working at midnight doesn't allow you that luxury. BUT, as I start to get to know people from other department that work night shifts there, I was SO GLAD that I didn't have to interact with ANYONE there. Particularly, the lab manager for the midnight shift. She went around gossiping about people, and didn't do her job other than walking around the lab and interrupting people. People are often very rude and had no respect for others. The facility is a MESS! Clearly the ventilation was terrible, which is worrisome, especially because there are biohazard lying around everywhere. Clearly people there are not trained on WHIMIS properly (the first day of working there, I got a 2 page WHIMS quiz and the answer sheet to all the questions provided), and they were completely oblivious to the stupid and dangerous things that they constantly do.

Don't even think about the opportunity of advancement at this place. You will get paid close to min wage, and 2 dollars extra per hour for working night shifts. At least for the night shift staff, nobody there wa s truly qualified to do their job, which is why they probably accept that terrible min wage. Honestly, after working for this place, I don't even trust the test results for my
  more... pet anymore, thinking that these are the people and this is the place that does the exams.

Recommended for those that don't really wanna build a career and are okay with earning pitiful pocket money for life, CERTAINLY NOT for uni/college grads that actually think of building a career.
Pros
a job is a job, the pay is horrible, but its still money
Cons
Busy atmosphere, friendly initiatives.
Specimen Processor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON12 November 2014
I work nights and there is always a sense of urgency to get our work done as quickly and proficiently as possible due to turn around times in the lab. Socializing in the workplace is generally frowned upon unless work is finished early; which can make it slightly awkward when first joining this workplace.

Cross training has been implemented and is encouraged which allows you to experience different departments within the lab. Co-workers are all friendly and management is helpful and attentive.

Training is a big issue with this company. There is no real set training regiment for any department which can leave new employees flustered to wait around for someone to explain what they should be doing.
Pros
Friendly staff, free lunch during busy season, work parties/contests/giveaways, large break room, availability to cross train, internal job postings
Cons
Extended repetitive duties, strict timeline and turn around times, night shift, lack of adequate training.
my day of working for IDEXX
Driver (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 October 2014
going to animal clinics and picking up samples and enjoying the staff at each clinic. some of the management were great but there were some that weren't there long enough to really comment. My co-workers were a great bunch of people to work with even though we didn't see each other we had our work radio to keep in touch with them.The hardest part of the job was going into a clinic and knowing someone's pet had to be put down it affects everyone who is there at the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the faces of the clinics when they were told their pet was going to be OK
A Productive Practicum at Idexx laboratories
Internship (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 May 2014
My typical day starts between 8 and 9 a.m. and ends between 3 and 4 p.m. I spend my time carrying out experiments, sample preparation, sensitivity testing, use of lab instrument like vitek and microscan panel, reading, interpreting and releasing test results, filing lab records & documentation as per the protocol and submits reports to the lab supervisor, keeping up to date with the current microbiology literature. I had very knowledgeable and helpful who guide whenever I need their help and advice. they make the workplace smooth and comfortable. one day I had lot of sub-culturing, media preparation and report work but I managed my time and work thoughtfully . I completed my task without taking stress and enjoyed that day learning and using my time management skills.
Pros
Extension of Internship to 3 monthsmple
Work here only if you have to
Tech (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2014
The people who work here are nice. Not a healthy work culture/job environment at all. Favoritism exists. Certain employees get away with being rude/acting haughty due to manager overlooking attitude/fairness. Cannot think of anything enjoyable. A job is a job.
Pros
Some employees are very friendly, you basically do your own thing
Cons
Very nitpicky. You get picked on for every little mistake. No chance of moving up or anywhere.
nice, friendly environment
Microbiology Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 February 2014
strong work ethics, organized,encourages professional development and provides funding when applicable
Pros
extended health benefits
Cons
low salary
Get Experience and Leave.
Micro Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham27 March 2013
Depending on what department you work at the pay sucks regardless of the work load or education required, they have a bad habit of hiring temps and getting rid of them as soon as their contract is up so they don't have to give them benefits.

Some Laboratory departments have it better than others and the difference in the pay is Night and Day. They get 2 stars because fellow employes are nice, but they like to keep it understaffed so be prepared for a lot of overtime. Work here to beef up your resume, but don't bother showing them any loyalty because you will receive none.
Pros
fellow employes are nice.
Cons
everything else.
Vet Services and Supplies
National Logistics Manager (Canada) (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario11 February 2013
Largely controlled by their American counterpart. Heavily invested in Lean Six Sigma, but they have a weak IT infrastructure, with fragmented systems, that are not well integrated within SAP.
Pros
large organization with plenty of potential
Cons
management style is very one dimensional