IDEXX LABORATORIES

IDEXX LABORATORIES Employee Reviews

don't expect anything at all from this place
Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  Markham ON.December 2, 2014
I strongly agree with other comments that said "work here ONLY if you really have to".

I worked as a specimen processor for about 6 months, night shift. My work hours are from 10:30PM to 7AM everyday, 6 days a week. At the beginning, I didn't like how I was the only one in the entire department working the night shift, cause I like to work with people, and working at midnight doesn't allow you that luxury. BUT, as I start to get to know people from other department that work night shifts there, I was SO GLAD that I didn't have to interact with ANYONE there. Particularly, the lab manager for the midnight shift. She went around gossiping about people, and didn't do her job other than walking around the lab and interrupting people. People are often very rude and had no respect for others. The facility is a MESS! Clearly the ventilation was terrible, which is worrisome, especially because there are biohazard lying around everywhere. Clearly people there are not trained on WHIMIS properly (the first day of working there, I got a 2 page WHIMS quiz and the answer sheet to all the questions provided), and they were completely oblivious to the stupid and dangerous things that they constantly do.

Don't even think about the opportunity of advancement at this place. You will get paid close to min wage, and 2 dollars extra per hour for working night shifts. At least for the night shift staff, nobody there wa s truly qualified to do their job, which is why they probably accept that terrible min wage. Honestly, after working for this place, I don't even trust the test results for my pet
  more... anymore, thinking that these are the people and this is the place that does the exams.

Recommended for those that don't really wanna build a career and are okay with earning pitiful pocket money for life, CERTAINLY NOT for uni/college grads that actually think of building a career.
Pros
a job is a job, the pay is horrible, but its still money
Cons
everything
my day of working for IDEXX
Driver (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 6, 2014
going to animal clinics and picking up samples and enjoying the staff at each clinic. some of the management were great but there were some that weren't there long enough to really comment. My co-workers were a great bunch of people to work with even though we didn't see each other we had our work radio to keep in touch with them.The hardest part of the job was going into a clinic and knowing someone's pet had to be put down it affects everyone who is there at the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the faces of the clinics when they were told their pet was going to be OK
A Productive Practicum at Idexx laboratories
Internship (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 9, 2014
My typical day starts between 8 and 9 a.m. and ends between 3 and 4 p.m. I spend my time carrying out experiments, sample preparation, sensitivity testing, use of lab instrument like vitek and microscan panel, reading, interpreting and releasing test results, filing lab records & documentation as per the protocol and submits reports to the lab supervisor, keeping up to date with the current microbiology literature. I had very knowledgeable and helpful who guide whenever I need their help and advice. they make the workplace smooth and comfortable. one day I had lot of sub-culturing, media preparation and report work but I managed my time and work thoughtfully . I completed my task without taking stress and enjoyed that day learning and using my time management skills.
Pros
extension of internship to 3 monthsmple
Work here only if you have to
Tech (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2014
The people who work here are nice. Not a healthy work culture/job environment at all. Favoritism exists. Certain employees get away with being rude/acting haughty due to manager overlooking attitude/fairness. Cannot think of anything enjoyable. A job is a job.
Pros
some employees are very friendly, you basically do your own thing
Cons
very nitpicky. you get picked on for every little mistake. no chance of moving up or anywhere.
nice, friendly environment
Microbiology Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 16, 2014
strong work ethics, organized,encourages professional development and provides funding when applicable
Pros
extended health benefits
Cons
low salary
Get Experience and Leave.
Micro Technician (Former Employee) –  MarkhamMarch 27, 2013
Depending on what department you work at the pay sucks regardless of the work load or education required, they have a bad habit of hiring temps and getting rid of them as soon as their contract is up so they don't have to give them benefits.

Some Laboratory departments have it better than others and the difference in the pay is Night and Day. They get 2 stars because fellow employes are nice, but they like to keep it understaffed so be prepared for a lot of overtime. Work here to beef up your resume, but don't bother showing them any loyalty because you will receive none.
Pros
fellow employes are nice.
Cons
everything else.