IBEW Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun workplace.
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 29, 2015
This was a very laid back job. I did have to work and break a sweat, but you could have fun while doing and it was almost encouraged to be that way. teamwork was key in this job and i really enjoyed that about it as well.
Pros
electrical union work. high pay + benefits
Cons
Long hours, annoying safety department.
Got to build all over Canada, seen many different things
Journeyman 309A electrician (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 2, 2016
I have worked all over the country in various jobsites and climates. Ranging from outdoors in extreme cold to indoors in extreme heat.
I have worked in environmental air suits to free work , from underground to walking I beams 13 stories in the air.
The job is a variety of unknown until you are set at the task at hand at which point you have to observe, design and build according to the needs of the job and the electrical code.
Pros
Always changing work environment
Cons
on the road alot.
IBEW 353 Brotherhood
Electrician, Journeyman, Foreman (Current Employee) –  various Location in OntarioApril 20, 2015
Well maintained working environment
Compensation for extra effort and overtime
various work environments inside and out yet companies provide proper safety equipment and work with employee in adverse weather conditions to get goals and work accomplished.
Various Foreman and General Foreman gives worker better perspective on how to relate with management and develop communication skills.
Co-workers very diverse from poor to excellent this allows for growth in your own ability to work with others to achieve common goals. develops ones own abilities in communication and acceptance.
Job can be difficult in many different ways from actual work to deadlines but due to the diversity in the union atmosphere always find ways to compensate and overcome.
Turning the switch or power on and seeing the result of ones work is the most enjoyable part of the job a sense of accomplishment and camaraderie.
Kept me Busy
General Foreman for Western Pacific Enterprises (Former Employee) –  AlbertaFebruary 22, 2016
Lots of work, lots of politics, Great experiances from commercial to oil and gas in fort mcmurray. workers seem to range from young to quit old but you find a way to work together and get the job done good for training the younger guys.
Pros
Lots of work ranging in different areas
Cons
No Job Security
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
Electrician (Current Employee) –  London ONJune 23, 2015
Typical day at work starts at 7am
Working with the IBEW you are subjected to many different working environments. You are subjected to many different electrical applications. Your job scope can be from wiring a light to wiring fully automated systems with programmable logic control, paint booths, conveyor systems. Work is not always available in London or even in Ontario..be able to travel across Canada
Pros
Exellent RRSP and Pension plan Benefits
Cons
Work is not always available close to home. Got to be able to travel
Good over all especially for skill building
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  CanadaMarch 22, 2016
All and all a good place to work. multitude of skill levels required. excellent place to learn and perfect ones trade and skills.
However employers that are signatory to the contract are unwilling to be personable and lack commitment values with employees.
One cannot help but come away from this type of employment as anything but a pay-roll number.
Pros
good pay and membership value
Cons
jobs are out of town or province more than not
Great Support
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 25, 2016
Currently unemployed and have no work available for our members. This is disheartening as we are all scrambling to find work to accommodate the lifestyle we are used to. When we are working the work is good. Hoping they get back out there and get us employed again
Great
Foreman/Electrician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 1, 2015
Great teamwork, everyday was fun and challenging. Benefits and safety are top of the line. Anyone not working Union is under paid and is not truly respected.
Pros
Great money and benefits
Cons
Away from home alot
An excellent opportunity to be involved in large scale industrial projects
IBEW member (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 28, 2016
Working in various roles my duties included managing work crews, organizing the required materials and information were made available for execution. Having all safety measures in place. Coordinating with customer representatives and other contractors on the project
Pros
constant employment available
Cons
long periods of time away from family
Excellent work place
Electrician / foreman / lead hand (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 27, 2016
The management is aloof and uncaring in most cases This being the management of the Union itself Not the individual companies.
The work environment is overall a great field to experience and develop as an electrician.
Pros
Excellent Benefits Plenty of time with Family
Cons
Buracratic Nonsense
An excellent way of life.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2016
A respectful environment with competent workers.
All tasks are addressed with safety and efficiency in mind.
Workmanship is closely monitored and any deficiencies are resolved in a timely manner.
A union for the betterment of work
Block 2 construction electrician (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 9, 2016
A great place to work, as i will continue to be an active union member, however there is no work for a local guy so I must be looking else where
Pros
High pay
Cons
Less work
good place to work
Ground Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Bend, ONJuly 18, 2016
learning all the time,learned about wind turbines management was well trained lifting the cables working with a good crew
Pros
good pay
Cons
long drive
can be your own man
QA/QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 15, 2016
It is a great organization with great people. Good pay and good hours .love the travel and everyone i've meet have been great.
Pros
pay
Cons
time away
Organized, Trained, Good team work
Electrician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 18, 2016
Good organization, paying attention to working safe, quality, efficiency and team work. They have done so many excellent job in Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc.
Pros
Organized, Trained, Good team work
Worked on many construction sites across Canada
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Being an electrician for the ibew gave me the opportunity to meet and work with other tradesman all across Canada that I now call my friends. Skills and techniques were learned hands on, while making sure the job was done safely.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Being away form home at times
A good day at work
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 5, 2015
My passion for the job comes from my desire and ability to be creative and to set up a plan and follow it to completion. Working in a team environment allows for the exchange of ideas that make the job an ongoing learning experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is completing it as expected in a timely manner that is satisfactory to management.
co-workers,Experience,Education,full time,retirement
Electrician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 1, 2015
My co-workers are the best, everybody gets along great and helps each other when needed. The experience and education that has been given to me by my work place is unforgettable and valuable. My reason for seeking employment elsewhere is that I would like to work full time to support my family and establish a secure retirement.
Pros
saticefaction when job is complete
Cons
not full time
IBEW - Electrical Union is great orgination to work for.
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
I like to work with IBEW 424 - Electrical Union. They have a lot of job opportunity and it is open for all the member fairly. Their benefit is excellent.
I love my job
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa Ontario CanadaAugust 6, 2013
A typical day at work is you start at 7 am with your tools ready, you break at 9:30 and back to work at 9:45 until 12 for lunch, if you skip the afternoon break you can leave and extra 15 minutes early and beat afternoon rush hour. You work 36 hrs a week, some jobs are 4 - 9hr days or 4-8 hr days and a half day on Friday so you are done at 11 am.
Pros
good benefits, decent hours, good pay, paid weekly
Cons
can't think of any.

4.2