IBEW Employee Reviews in Canada

A union for the betterment of work
Block 2 construction electrician (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 9, 2016
A great place to work, as i will continue to be an active union member, however there is no work for a local guy so I must be looking else where
Pros
High pay
Cons
Less work
An excellent way of life.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2016
A respectful environment with competent workers.
All tasks are addressed with safety and efficiency in mind.
Workmanship is closely monitored and any deficiencies are resolved in a timely manner.
Got to build all over Canada, seen many different things
Journeyman 309A electrician (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 2, 2016
I have worked all over the country in various jobsites and climates. Ranging from outdoors in extreme cold to indoors in extreme heat.
I have worked in environmental air suits to free work , from underground to walking I beams 13 stories in the air.
The job is a variety of unknown until you are set at the task at hand at which point you have to observe, design and build according to the needs of the job and the electrical code.
Pros
Always changing work environment
Cons
on the road alot.
Excellent work place
Electrician / foreman / lead hand (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 27, 2016
The management is aloof and uncaring in most cases This being the management of the Union itself Not the individual companies.
The work environment is overall a great field to experience and develop as an electrician.
Pros
Excellent Benefits Plenty of time with Family
Cons
Buracratic Nonsense
An excellent opportunity to be involved in large scale industrial projects
IBEW member (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 28, 2016
Working in various roles my duties included managing work crews, organizing the required materials and information were made available for execution. Having all safety measures in place. Coordinating with customer representatives and other contractors on the project
Pros
constant employment available
Cons
long periods of time away from family
Good over all especially for skill building
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  CanadaMarch 22, 2016
All and all a good place to work. multitude of skill levels required. excellent place to learn and perfect ones trade and skills.
However employers that are signatory to the contract are unwilling to be personable and lack commitment values with employees.
One cannot help but come away from this type of employment as anything but a pay-roll number.
Pros
good pay and membership value
Cons
jobs are out of town or province more than not
Organized, Trained, Good team work
Electrician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 18, 2016
Good organization, paying attention to working safe, quality, efficiency and team work. They have done so many excellent job in Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc.
Pros
Organized, Trained, Good team work
can be your own man
QA/QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 15, 2016
It is a great organization with great people. Good pay and good hours .love the travel and everyone i've meet have been great.
Pros
pay
Cons
time away
Kept me Busy
General Foreman for Western Pacific Enterprises (Former Employee) –  AlbertaFebruary 22, 2016
Lots of work, lots of politics, Great experiances from commercial to oil and gas in fort mcmurray. workers seem to range from young to quit old but you find a way to work together and get the job done good for training the younger guys.
Pros
Lots of work ranging in different areas
Cons
No Job Security
Worked on many construction sites across Canada
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Being an electrician for the ibew gave me the opportunity to meet and work with other tradesman all across Canada that I now call my friends. Skills and techniques were learned hands on, while making sure the job was done safely.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Being away form home at times
IBEW - Electrical Union is great orgination to work for.
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
I like to work with IBEW 424 - Electrical Union. They have a lot of job opportunity and it is open for all the member fairly. Their benefit is excellent.
A good day at work
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 5, 2015
My passion for the job comes from my desire and ability to be creative and to set up a plan and follow it to completion. Working in a team environment allows for the exchange of ideas that make the job an ongoing learning experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is completing it as expected in a timely manner that is satisfactory to management.
co-workers,Experience,Education,full time,retirement
Electrician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 1, 2015
My co-workers are the best, everybody gets along great and helps each other when needed. The experience and education that has been given to me by my work place is unforgettable and valuable. My reason for seeking employment elsewhere is that I would like to work full time to support my family and establish a secure retirement.
Pros
saticefaction when job is complete
Cons
not full time
not enough work to do
Electrician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 17, 2015
I was hoping to be kept on the job for extended periods of time,
That did not happen so I am disappointed. at times I feel that I wasted my time here.

I put a lot of time and effort to get the certification I have. luckily my family put up with time lost as my kids were young at the time.
Safe and fun environment.
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 26, 2015
Good place to work for. Co workers always nice, work is always done safely. Just not enough work to go around. Learn lots and work in many different places and areas.
Pros
High safety and wages
Cons
Too many layoff periods.
goodAS LONG AS THERE IS WORK TO GET DONE.
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2015
WHEN ECONOMY IS SLOW SO IS THE UNION. Pays the bills though. safe environment, proper workforce and apprentice to journeyman numbers
wide variety of tasks and challenges, always changing
member of I.B.E.W. Local 303 (Current Employee) –  all over canadaOctober 15, 2015
An excellent place to learn the trade because of the wide variety of sites and jobs. There is hardly a thing in the whole electrical trade that I haven't done, or a material I haven't handled and installed.
Great placwe to work
Industrial Electrician, Kearl Oil Sands (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2015
Great place to work complete with a great team atmosphere. wide range of work experience and great help from management when needed
best place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 2, 2015
great brotherhood, install pipe install plugs lights switches batteries, pull wire, termination of wire. plan work and have a great time
Productive and fun workplace.
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 29, 2015
This was a very laid back job. I did have to work and break a sweat, but you could have fun while doing and it was almost encouraged to be that way. teamwork was key in this job and i really enjoyed that about it as well.
Pros
electrical union work. high pay + benefits
Cons
Long hours, annoying safety department.

4.2