- Assignment Name: SharePoint Services Enterprise
- Role/Experience Level: Application Architect - Level 3
- Anticipated Assignment Start Date: September 30, 2013
- Anticipated Assignment End Date: September 30, 2014 (Extendable)
- Work Location: Downtown Toronto
.NET Solutions Development Centre
The .NET Solutions Development Centre (SDC) is a new business model for developing I&IT business applications within the OPS I&IT organization. Operating as an “in-sourcer” for all .NET development within the OPS, in a similar manner to the best practices of a professional services firm, .NET solutions development will be done one way, from one organization, building on the foundational work already completed by the .NET Centre of Excellence.
The .NET Centre of Excellence had previously set standards for .NET solution development and provided reusable assets and tools to help designers and developers deliver solutions faster and with higher quality. Building on that work, the SDC will additionally focus on design, development, testing and hosting using a software factory paradigm compliant with Microsoft recommended standards and best practices enabling the OPS to maximize the benefits of using a common underpinning end-to-end infrastructure service. The SDC will also continue to champion products that contribute to better engagement and e-collaboration within the OPS, specifically the SharePoint Service Enterprise (SSE).
The goal is to create I&IT capacity that will deliver business value by embracing innovative ways to operate in a simpler and more “horizontal” manner and ensure that the OPS grows its capacity to successfully complete I&IT development projects in the future.
The Government of Ontario’s I&IT organization is exploring innovative ways to operate in a simpler and more “horizontal” manner while also preparing for the fiscal challenges anticipated over the next 12 to 24 months. The SDC will optimize the delivery of business solutions to the OPS through Predictability, Quality, Velocity and Reuse.
The doors to the SDC are now open, albeit in a limited fashion. The .NET Service Delivery Environment and the SharePoint Service Enterprise are available for use by all Clusters.
SharePoint Service Enterprise
Currently, SSE hosts over 7600 SharePoint sites and has over 20,000 subscribers, including approximately 4000 subscribers which are external to the OPS. SSE anticipates a 30% growth in subscribers for each of the next 2 years as the OPS continues to consolidate instances of SharePoint, migrating to the enterprise service and as other collaboration and document sharing services are retired.
There are four distinct web applications supporting SSE hosting services:
- Internet – external facing is a publishing only web application;
- Intranet – internal facing with Active Directory authentication;
- Extranet – internal and externally facing with Forms Authentication for external partners and Active Directory authentication for internal OPS users; and
- Secure - for information classified as high sensitivity and requires PKI authentication available to internal OPS users only.
SSE Services delivered by the .NET SDC include advice and consultation, development, application support and hosting. Clients of the SSE use the service to host team and project workspaces, share documents, track tasks, manage data, automate simple common business processes and develop complex line of business applications.
Purpose to Acquire:
The purpose of this RFS is to acquire one (1) Application Architect, Level 3 to complete comprehensive SharePoint Enterprise Architecture documentation for the .NET Solution Delivery Centre and the Labour & Transportation I&IT Cluster.
Scope of Services and Deliverables - The Services and Deliverables to be provided by the Vendor will include the following:
- Preparation and presentation of all Checkpoint 2 (Logical) and Checkpoint 3 (Physical) architectural artifacts and other related deliverables in accordance with the LTC Project Management and Enterprise Architecture Checkpoint and Gating requirements and standards
- Lead in Service Architecture
- Identify and/or design all of the proposed or specific COTS and/or custom developed components to create the optimal solution
- Responsible to ensure the alignment of application functionality/design with documented business/systems requirements
- Identify the optimal infrastructure platform on which to run the solution
- Ensure alignment and adherence to Ministry of Government Services’ processes and standards
- Provide architectural leadership, and technical guidance and assistance
- Participate in IT Sub-Committee and Working Group(s)
- The consultant resource will interface directly with the project team, program area staff and management and is accountable for addressing the status of concerns to the customer related to application design considerations
- The consultant may also be required during the implementation and closeout phases of the project
- Knowledge transfer to internal staff – that is, upon leaving the project, the consultant will transfer over all information/research to the client. The consultant will also provide a detailed list of all work/artefacts completed on the project
- Attend any meetings related to the resolution of any request as required
- LTC Project Management and Enterprise Architecture documentation, as required
- Presentations to Cluster or Corporate ACT and ARB (as required)
- Briefing Notes (as required)
- Status reports (as required)
- Other Documentation (as required)
- Undertake special assignments/sub-projects as assigned
The Architect will:
- Translate business systems requirements into physical system design and be responsible to formulate recommendations regarding alternatives and options.
- Lead in the creation of technical specifications for systems development, design and implementation and work with the SSE team in completing all relevant and required documentation in alignment with OPS standards.
- Lead in the development, implementation and managing cross-platform application architecture in a large and distributed environment.
- * Identification of re-usable components, the organization and layering of software, and the determination of interfaces.
- * Lead in the development and implementation of application architectures at the specified experience level
- * Lead with or complete the resolution of any and all breakdowns and system performance degradation problems of the production environment that negatively impact the on-going operation of all of the applications it will be hosting, to the satisfaction of the customer.
- * Lead and complete, solution-related bug fixes, modifications, and/or enhancements, as assigned.
o Provide in-depth, technical expertise as requested. This expertise will include;
o SharePoint 2010 & 2013 technical architecture;
o SharePoint 2010 & 2013 and Microsoft security architecture;
o SharePoint 2010 & 2013 Portal Administrator roles, including Central Administration
o Installation, configuration, maintenance and operations of Microsoft Operating Systems, SharePoint 2010 & 2013
o Migration of SharePoint Content
- * Lead in the estimate and production of draft project plans
- * Lead in the development and deployment plans.
- * Provide training sessions as required
The Vendor’s Personnel will also be required to:
- Complete work and achieve milestones within the assigned deadlines;
- Notify the Cluster/Ministry project Manager in writing of any issues or other material concerns related to the Assignment Deliverables, as soon as the he/she becomes aware of them;
- Submit Deliverables for the Cluster/Ministry approval as they are completed;
- Comply with the Ontario Government and the Cluster/Ministry security procedures and practices;
- Comply with the Ontario Government and the Cluster/Ministry architecture/technology standards and best practices;
- Comply with the Ontario Government and the Cluster/Ministry Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality Guidelines;
- Provide knowledge and skill transfer to a designated Cluster/Ministry staff; and
- Comply with the Ontario Government I&IT Directive, Operational Policy on the I&IT Project Gateway Process, and other applicable Guidelines, Standards and Procedures.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Managing an enterprise farm for 60000+ users
- Leadership experience in one or more of the following areas:
o multi-tiered application infrastructure design, document and configuration for medium or large corporate implementations
o selecting and establishing technical architectures
o managing the implementation activities associated with large IT projects
Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
Highly developed interpersonal and negotiation skills
A team player with a track record for meeting deadlines
- Experience and expertise in the following Environment/ Platform Specific technologies:
o SharePoint 2010 & 2013
o Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating Systems – all supported versions
o Microsoft Windows Server Operating systems - all supported versions
o Visual Studio – all supported versions
o .NET Framework – all supported versions
o MS Sync Framework
o Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
o Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
o Web Services
o ASP.Net, ASP.Net membership provider
o Team Foundation Server (source code management repository)
o MS Enterprise Library 4.1+
o MS SQL Server - all supported versions
o Network and Security Infrastructure (Reverse Proxy, Firewalls, etc.)