IKO is a global leader in manufacturing roofing products with production facilities worldwide, we are currently seeking an experienced Human Resources / Health & Safety Coordinator to join our team of skilled professionals based at our Calgary, AB plant. This plant produces premium roofing shingles in a high speed, continuous, asphalt shingle manufacturing process environment
The successful candidate is an experienced, results oriented, hands-on progressive HR/H&S professional who will report to the Plant Manager and be directly responsible for employee relations, training and coaching, recruitment, safety programs in compliance with OSHA and internal audits and personnel administration at the plant level.
- Accountable for working independently on all recruiting and HR responsibilities, as well as maintaining the plant's safety programs, including training, inspections, and audits at the plant level.
- Advises employee and management personnel on the interpretation of personnel policies, programs and procedures.
- May make presentations explaining the purpose and goal of human resources policies and seeks compliance and understanding of human resources policies.
- Carries out administrative work involving the human resources functions and maintains related records.
- Accountable for all recruiting at the plant level.
- Assures that programs are carried out in accordance with company's policies and procedures.
- Provides advice to supervisors and managers on methods and approaches to resolve employee work problems.
- Coaches staff/supervisors in leadership behaviors to improve communication on the shop floor.
- Valued partner and confidante to the Plant Manager in the effective execution of the plant strategies to meet business goals, and providing feedback and support on all employee related issues at the site.
- May conduct research to determine the effectiveness of personnel programs and policies.
- May develop and propose improvement to policies, programs, and procedures to improve the effectiveness of human resources and operations.
- Administers the benefits program for employees in the plant.
- Conducts preliminary investigations into gross misconduct.
- Administers Union/Management contract.
- Key Participant in maintaining Union relations; participates in grievance and contract negotiations.
- Accountable for the implementation and monitoring of the Plant safety Program to eliminate risks causing workplace accidents and injuries.
- Accountable for identifying trends and areas for improvement.
- Accountable for coordinating with external providers for successful claims management and return to work practices.
- Managing the preparation, review and submission of periodic monitoring reports, including the OSHA log, notifications and fees.
- Managing the plants budgets for health & safety spending.
- Conducting required safety training and orientation.
- Participating in accident investigations.
- Assuring inspections and monitoring requirements are met.
- Coordinate workplace health & safety inspections, accident/incident investigations, concern investigations.
- Accountable for the implementation and management of a behavior based safety program.
- Supporting continuous improvement initiatives.
- The ability to chair management/union meetings.
- Above average communication skills to enable the transfer of clear and concise information at all levels of the organization.
- The ability to facilitate the process of learning amongst supervisors and the shop floor.
- The ability to develop incisive questions to effectively discover relevant information.
- The ability to relentlessly follow up to achieve stated deadlines.
- The ability to organize the workload and manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Passion for results, strong work ethic and acts with a sense of urgency and purpose balanced with strategic and day-to-day operational intent
- Superior analytical skills with the ability to identify problems, resolve issues, mitigate risks, and initiate continuous improvements initiatives
- Requires strong planning, negotiation, and execution skills
- Possess the ability to handle multiple priorities and a wide variety of tasks to meet deadlines, all with a sense of urgency.
- Strong understanding of business processes outside specific areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated leadership and management capabilities with the ability to make decisions under pressure in an environment of rapid change
- Superior communication skills to develop effective working relationships with peers, plant operations, customer service, sales and executives to maximize efficiencies across the organization.
- Must be computer literate.
- Use of Microsoft Office products at an advanced level is required.
- Behaviour based safety experience
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree is essential and a Human Resources specialization is a strong advantage.
- Professional designation in both HR and Health and Safety is a must
- Managing effectively in a progressive unionized environment.
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years in a generalist role within a high speed process-manufacturing environment.
- Understands full legal requirements and laws with regards to HR and Health and Safety
IKO recognizes that its success is due to the strength of its employees. A primary goal of IKO is to promote individual employee’s sense of accomplishment and contribution so that employees enjoy their association with IKO. The Company invests in its employees so that they are the most knowledgeable in the industry, and undertakes great efforts to nurture loyalty to, and teamwork at, IKO to drive results. We are pleased to offer competitive compensation, health care, a progressive and challenging workplace and a commitment to teamwork and integrity.
Further company information can be found at www.iko.com
Please apply in confidence by sending us your your qualifications and experience.
All applications are confidential. We appreciate your interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.