Title: Business Systems Analyst – Regulatory/Chem
Our goal is to be the industry leader for content applicable to Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and other Environmental Safety and Health (EHS) regulatory needs. We must provide our customers with a solution that significantly reduces their effort to prepare and maintain compliant SDS and label documents. Our staff is expected to conduct business in a manner that emphasizes and directly supports this goal.
The individual will participate in and/or lead the analysis of regulations and work with interdisciplinary teams to develop implementation strategies for inclusion of pertinent content into IHS products. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, addressing regulations and standards such as country-specific GHS implementations, REACH, global transportation of dangerous goods, and also industry standards such as ANSI, CEPE, and ISO. Scientific data, such as, toxicological tests, environmental fate, and physical properties of chemicals, are also applied by the rules.
Specific Job Duties:
- Serve in the capacity of a business systems analyst to provide technical expertise in the analysis, design, enhancement and implementation of business applications to support IHS products.
- Make “gray areas” of regulations black or white.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation (in pre-defined templates) that clearly describes the analysis and interpretation of the rules and outputs to automate the creation of SDS and label type documents. Design the layout and phrases required.
- Individuals with the requisite skills may program and test the rules (algorithms) used in our products.
- Proactively monitor legislation by reviewing regulatory standards and interpretations, registers, gazettes, newsletters, etc. as related to regulatory rules and SDS/label content supported by IHS.
- Obtain and analyze official source documents for applicable new legislation.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with regulatory agency contacts and consultants specializing in specific regulations.
- Work in collaboration with other members of the regulatory content department as required; two-way interaction for refining the regulatory or business interpretation is common.
- Be an integral part of the overall team of Rules Development, R&D, QA, Product Management to identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives for content quality and work process efficiency enhancements.
- Respond to customer (internal and external) inquiries on regulatory topics and regulatory clarifications in a timely and professional manner.
- Make internal and external presentations sometimes including training on our rules or other content.
University degree in Chemistry, Toxicology, Ecology or related fields.
An advanced degree or professional certification is considered an asset
A minimum of 3 years of experience applying regulatory or scientific principles to business systems. Working within the areas of product stewardship or broader areas of EHS is certainly preferred.
An ideal candidate will have interest and aptitude for programming rules exhibited by some previous programming experience and/or formal education in programming. This will enable a career path as a rules developer in addition to a career path as a regulatory analyst.
1. Demonstrated working knowledge of global regulations associated with SDS/Label preparation and regulatory reporting requirements
2. Knowledge of REACH, GHS or IHS product stewardship solutions (Intelligent Authoring or Compliance Engine for SAP) is considered an asset; experience with similar systems from other suppliers besides IHS is also valuable.
3. Experience analyzing EHS-related regulations and preparing technical documentation
4. Strong organizational and planning skills
5. Demonstrated problem solving skills
6. Ability to work in a multi-disciplined team environment, while functioning as an individual contributor
7. Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
8. Excellent communication in English (and French for positions in Montreal office) and strong interpersonal skills
9. Multi-lingual skills are considered an asset
Physical Requirements: No special requirements. Work in an office environment or home office.
This position reports to: Senior Manager, Global Content
Please apply online at www.ihs.com