OBJECTIVES: Serves patients by preparing medications; giving pharmacological information to multidisciplinary health care team; monitoring patient drug therapies.
- Prepares medications by reviewing and interpreting physician orders; detecting therapeutic incompatibilities.
- Dispenses medications by compounding, packaging, and labeling pharmaceuticals.
- Controls medications by monitoring drug therapies; advising interventions.
- Completes pharmacy operational requirements by organizing and directing technicians' work flow; verifying their preparation and labeling of pharmaceuticals; verifying order entries, charges, and inspections.
- Provides pharmacological information by answering questions and requests of health care professionals; counseling patients on drug therapies.
- Develops clinic staff's pharmacological knowledge by participating in clinical programs; training pharmacy staff, students, interns, externs, residents, and health care professionals.
- Complies with provincial and federal drug laws as regulated by the provincial college of pharmacy, the drug enforcement administration, maintaining records for controlled substances; removing outdated and damaged drugs from the pharmacy inventory; supervising the work results of support personnel; maintaining current registration; studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; advising management on needed actions.
- Protects patients and technicians by adhering to infection-control protocols.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintain records, such as pharmacy files, patient profiles, charge system files, inventories, control records for radioactive nuclei, and registries of poisons, narcotics, and controlled drugs.
- Provide specialized services to help patients manage conditions such as diabetes, asthma, smoking cessation, or high blood pressure.
- Advise customers on the selection of medication brands, medical equipment and health-care supplies.
- Collaborate with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review, and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of drugs and drug regimens, providing advice on drug applications and characteristics.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Provide Consultation and Advice to Others -- Providing guidance and expert advice to customers, management or other groups on technical, systems-, or process-related topics.
Assisting and Caring for Others -- Providing personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support, or other personal care to others such as coworkers, customers, or patients.
Interpreting the Meaning of Information for Others -- Translating or explaining what information means and how it can be used.
Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others -- Handling complaints, settling disputes, and resolving grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
Coordinating the Work and Activities of Others -- Getting members of a group to work together to accomplish tasks.
Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards -- Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.