IBM

IBM Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly atmosphere
Software Developer (Co-op) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 10, 2014
My routine was 9 am to 5 pm. I learnt several important things at IBM. Talking with employers, emailing, customer relationships, greetings - as soft skills while as my hard skills - I learned cognos, database, installation of cognos, report designing. My co-workers were very helpful. I have never been to such corporate atmosphere before. The hardest – more... part of the job was my deadlines. I was a coop and I was doing overtime sometimes and even working on weekends to meet the deadlines. While the most enjoyable part of the job was getting guidance and help everyday from my co-workers. – less
Good place to work and to learn new skills.
Senior Technical Professional / Storage Management (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: work flexibility.
Cons: comply with client demands that were unrealistic to meet.
Checked systems health status.
Read and answer emails.
Attended daily status meeting with peers and management.
Checked for status outstanding problem tickets.
Reviewed and updated change tickets prior to CAB meetings,
Senior management was helpful when I needed them.
Job can stressful at times.
I enjoyed the flexibility working from home.
Excellent – more... health benefits.
Hardest part of the job was the conflict of policies and standards from some of the clients I worked for, didn't match IBM standards and policies and I required management permission to complied with the clients request. – less
Can be productive and fun, if on the right team.
Software Developer (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: company picnics, free lunches from time to time, team lunches, release celebrations
Cons: long hours, introverted environment
- Typical day as an intern vs full-time software developer is quite different.

- Interns are not exposed to office politics, cannot see IBM to client interaction and have more time to enjoy company benefits such as gym, table tennis, pool, soccer, basketball, beach volleyball. Since interns are students, lots of help, advice and coaching are provided – more... to ensure work is completed.

- Full-time regulars are given much more work. The salary is roughly 50-70% more than intern. However, due to work, there is not much time to enjoy the company's on-site amenities. There is a certain assumption that a regular is fully competent and capable. Hence, no help is ever offered to a regular. Training are lacking and also operates on the assumption that regulars are adept.

- Managers have no clear direction and objective as to what the team values. Uses strange management techniques to boost work efficiency (ie: gives initial bad evaluation in hopes the employee will later improve)

- Co-workers are generally introverted, agitated, and not very helpful when approached.When approaching IBM software authors for help, the general response is that they have not touched that code for some time. Hence, any help given was useless. – less
It is a good company to stay whole life,slow and steady
Senior SQL DBA (Current Employee), Calgary,AlbertaDecember 21, 2013
Pros: more scope to work
Cons: salary constraints
Feels comfortable to work here.As I am working in a client place,so have more confidence to convince my client by having face to face meeting
Great Organization to be a part of
Desktop Support Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 19, 2013
Pros: great learning opportunity
Cons: minimal compensation
A typical day with the IBM account involved logging into email, checking the queue system and routing tickets to techs in addition to attending to my own assigned tickets. Support involved both hardware and software requests as well as IMACs that required imaging workstations, installation of software and hardware deployment to users.

I gained advanced – more... experience working with the Active Directory and SCCM as well as software development and packaging.

The management was very knowledgeable and available to advise and assist with ensuring that any concerns were addressed and attended to.

My coworkers were self motivated to complete tasks on time, helpful and experienced within the environment and easy to get along with.

I wouldn't say that there was a hardest part of the job but more one of the challenges that I experienced on the job which was user education. A lot of the associates weren't "tech savvy" so there was great emphasis on making sure that all bases had been covered during user interaction to limit repeat visits due to insufficient information exchange.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the exposure to a vast number of IT areas including mobile support, software development, server maintenance, break/fix and installs. – less
Fast Paced, Productive, Continuous Learning
Amazing Work place.
Senior support analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 17, 2013
Very friendly staff.
Amazing management.
The most enjoyable part of the job is everyday some new Challenges.
Every day i get to learn something different.
I have learned a very good customer services skills over the phone with all type of clients and how to satisfy them with there all needs.
E.T.C
Excellent working atmosphere and fun
Inventory Management Support (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 12, 2013
Pros: we used to get together for lunches once a month in a pub.
Cons: long hours
Not as busy as I would like to be as my job did not required me to be on the go all the time. It was fairly easy going and have time to chat with co-workers.

I did not learned much as I was there to wind down an operation that they were trying to give up as part of the on going operation,

I did not see much of the management as I was not too much – more... involved with the company decision making so to speak.

The co-workers in general were nice and friendly to work with.

The hardest part of the job was that they were not too much to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that they were not difficult and the job could be done without much of an effort. – less
Good employer
Senior consultant/Team lead, JDEdwards (Former Employee), Boucherville, QCDecember 11, 2013
Team work
Diversified training
Professionalism
Great company with many opportunities to sharpen your skills.
Inside Sales, Customer Support (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioDecember 5, 2013
IBM is a great corporate company to learn new skills and sharpen your existing skills thru their Big Blue University and all of ithe available courses to all employees. They help you help yourself. This approach leads to additional possibilities for constant improvement and advancement. This insures that IBM has a constant pool of talented individual – more... working together for the betterment of all involved.
I highly reccomend IBM as an equal and fair employer. – less
Good environment to work in
TECHNICAL SUPPORT ANALYST (Current Employee), 3600 Steeles ave ENovember 28, 2013
Pros: alot of hours
Cons: travelling time
Good people to work with. alot of learning experience. typical day would be taking calls, resolving problems at first point of contact. if unable escalating issues to second level support
Great Contract
SAP Materials Management Functional team member (Current Employee), Ottawa ON Canadian DNDNovember 27, 2013
Pros: the people
Cons: too much work for too few people
Solid and experienced people to work with. No slackers.

Work was always challenging and fast paced
ok
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 27, 2013
Pros: good place to work
Cons: nothing as such
Monday,
learned a lot
good management
late hours
lunchtime
Amazing Co-workers
Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 20, 2013
Worked with amazing people who strive to give each client the best possible customer service while working in a very complex environment and balance priorities.
Contract Position
Administrative Support for Network Services (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 17, 2013
Pros: great employee appreciation day functions.
This was a contract position through Kelly's Services.
A small team traced and recorded Bell's and Telus' voice and circuit lines.
I won't go back to IBM call center anymore!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Saint John, NBNovember 14, 2013
Pros: friendly colleagues (excluding managers), flexible schedule
Cons: low wage, too much pressure, no benefits, no perks, not enough time for training
IBM is a cheap (s h i t) company to work for, they will ask for everything but almost nothing in return except below average salary. I won't recommend to work at any IBM call center unless you have no other choice!
Chew you up then spit you out
INFORMATION ARCHITECT/SENIOR WRITER (Former Employee), Markham, ONNovember 12, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: you're only as valuable as your last success
I was, variously, a project manager, people manager, technical writer, and information architect during my time at IBM. I worked on large-scale, enterprise software, such as DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows. I liked the work, and I did well, for the most part; I was at the band 9 (out of 10) job level when I left.

IBM is increasingly moving jobs that – more... used to be in North America to developing economies, like India and China. Each year, they seem to have a cull ("resource action") where jobs are cut. Much of the work seems to get picked up by IBMers in Asia who make a fraction of what Canadians or Americans make; in other cases, the work has to get picked up the few people that remain in North America. In a lot of cases, departments would lose a bunch of experienced people, only to have them replaced by new university grads ... a cynic might look at this as a way of saving money on salaries/pensions.

There are lots of senior managers who have built little empires that they protect fiercely. Particularly in the area I worked in, there were directors who created organizations filled with sycophants who would develop over-the-top processes, standards and procedures that would add little value to the products being developed.

The pay is good, and the benefits, while they get whittled away little by little every year, weren't bad. – less
Very good company to work for
Test Lead / Lead Quality Analyst (Current Employee), London, ONNovember 11, 2013
I did learn a lot
I did grow professionally to be a seasoned professional under IBM
Nice Company
Project Manager (Former Employee), Markham, ONNovember 4, 2013
One of the big five consulting firms. Very nice environment to work in.
Work life balance, learnig and excellent work culture
Advisory IT Specialist (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 3, 2013
IBM provides excellent work opportunities , work life balance and helps us to learn new technologies.

About IBM

International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), is an information technology (IT) company. s major operations include Global – Read more