IBM Employee Reviews

Client Relationship Representative (Former Employee) –  N/A30 September 2016
Had a great experience at IBM, as I spent nearly 11 years there. There was a pretty good work-life balance, which really kept me motivated. The salary was pretty attractive too.
Constant management churn and process changes cause unstable environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 September 2016
Spent 7 years in one department under the same manager, then the next 7 years on another team I lost count of the managers, executives, and senior management team - it was like a merry go round. Constant churn meant no ownership, lack of knowledge and expertise, and an unhappy, positive environment to work in. Management is too top heavy and lacked integrity. Cost cutting starts at the bottom, where the work is done. Should be cut from top down where the large paycheques are handed out. Non-management jobs constantly being sent offshore where work ethics are different. Impact of offshoring to business is noticeable, yet IBM sells it to the client as seamless. They don't walk the talk. It became too impersonal and uncaring to work there any longer.
Sr Technical Consultant - Perm (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2016
the incumbent of this position is a technical specialist who contributes to the conception, development and implementation and support of several management tools in the delivery of Bell’s Managed Services (MS) for environments such
Enjoyable place to work
National Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 September 2016
Great place to work from the perspective of working with great people and having a direct impact to the bottom line. Competitive, challenging, and self rewarding.
Pros
Work With Greeat People
Cons
Fun to find technical solutions
Technical Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
It is a job with very much fun. We have to find the issues that users facing and resolve those problems through remote point. It is very interesting and gives more idea about RDP and VPN.
great place to do research
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 September 2016
training program is extensive and resourceful, mentors are all helpful and able to reach any people from any level to deliver the fun project
Kelly Services was great.
Technical Support Analyst Level 1 (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 September 2016
Wide range of resources from IBM database. Great place to learn technical skills. Kelly Services was great. They took care of me.
Good benefits but no job security
Senior Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2016
Very top heavy organization, more managers than working employees. New ideas and requirements seem to be forced on to employees with little regard as to whether they offer any benefit or are even remotely relevant to ones situation.
Pretty good experience
Compiler Optimization Developer (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON3 September 2016
Very competitive team and comparatively work balance. If you are a guy who is very into bottom-level things or willing to learn a lot such stuff. I would strongly suggest participating in this particular team. I did learn a lot and grow fast in this team.
High maintenance
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 September 2016
Hard to advance. Very competitive internal environment. Good culture of learning so there are great opportunities to learn. However, compensation is relatively uncompetitive relative to the industry.
Great place to work at
Infrastructure Program Manager / Sr. PM (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2016
I worked at IBM for over 18 years and I enjoyed my life with IBM. I particularly enjoy the available education and the well established processes in project management. There have been a lot of transformation and changes making it not as enjoyable as it used to be, There are great opportunities to learn (education and certifications) and work with global team s.t. you get to know people from other countries and became friend (not just a colleague)

For internal, there are way too many internal systems and hard to find out how to fix issues when problem occurs in the process due to transformation of resources.
Pros
A lot of processes
Cons
Good education and very flexible
A once great company trying to be great again
DevOps (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 September 2016
An excellent environment to learn and build your expertise. Company is transforming itself from being a legacy process/product-oriented one to one using /enabling latest technologies.
Job that payed the bills.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB23 August 2016
This employment was not the most enjoyable job. I had no chance for growth within the company. There was no challenges for me to advance my skills within the work place. It was a steady job that provided me with Monday-Friday 9-5 employment.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
No Benifits
Business Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2016
Ample opportunity to learn new technologies.
learning big data, watson are really good.
work environment is pretty friendly.
Management is supportive.
IBM was a great place to work for until about a couple of years ago
SENIOR TECHNICAL SOLUTIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON22 August 2016
IBM was a great organization to work for as I have learned a great deal over the 19 years I've worked there. It provided me with both job challenges and rewards until changes within upper management and their strategic goals and direction. Their strategic goals/direction resulted in organizational restructuring; hence layoffs spanning over a few years.

The job of a Technical Solutions Manager (TSM) can be challenging as it involves working on both RFS' for existing clients and "new logo" deals. New logo deals are considered potential new clients that are not currently part of IBM portfolio. We're competing with other vendors and bidding on the opportunities; hence working on aggressive timelines and cost is a major factor in winning the deal.

I've spent working on a solution at 3am with the IBM project executive scrubbing the cost case to a price point to win the deal.
Pros
Mobility - ability to work at home and any IBM mobility facility
Cons
Long hours when working on deals including weekends
good work life balance
Project Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 August 2016
Coworkers were always professional, I was able to juggle work and home life by being able to work from home, great team to work with.
Good company to start career
Test Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2016
Learning company, Not paymaster.
Services orientated company
High-pressure jobs
Work-life balances minimum

Pros
Large company
Support all technologies

Cons
Not good management
good place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 August 2016
good place to work. I loved working at the client site and it was a very good experience. good benefits. some nice perks if you investigate.
Great projects, adequate management
Senior Managing Consultant and Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Abu Dhabi and Ottawa18 August 2016
IBM Canada was generally a good company to work for. Project fit in well with my military background

IBM Middle East had serious management and leadership issues. Project was understaffed and under-skilled. Management lacked focus and a solid plan
Had nice work culture and team support
IT SUPPORT/NETWORK (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON17 August 2016
Team was really good , always ready to help each other , every moment. Nice overtime , always help
Their employees by offering different coupes and discounts for different purchases.
Pros
NO RESTRICTION
Cons
WAS OK