IBM Employee Reviews

Fun, respectful, balanced place to work
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON7 March 2017
As a team lead, most of my work involves meetings, answering emails, studying problems, reading and writing documents. I choose when I want to have my breaks and lunch which works out well because I work when I most productive and stop when I am tired. The managements is pretty good and capable. The workplace culture is open, open to new ideas, and respectful. The hardest part of the job with a large company like IBM is the admin and the time it gets to get things approved. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people.
Pros
Respect
Cons
Admin
Opportunity to gain experience around the world!!!
Learning & Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
• Provided advice to project managers and team leads regarding the content and design of the proposed training course to ensure learning goals were met
• Collaborated with extended teams (vendors, subcontractors, business and alliance partners, customers and IBM employees from other functional areas) to support custom content management
• Provided direction and project management to extended team in order to ensure the quality of the deliverables and that deadlines for the training event were met
• Deliver professional presentations to clients in class and/or remotely via Webex webinars
• Participated in projects for Ontario Government (IFIS), Bell ExpressVu, Marsh, IBM Canada (internal), Sprint, Sun Life Financials, MDS, & Staples
• Assigned various roles i.e. business process analyst, facilitator, technical writer, project control officer (PCO), and course developer
Awesome Environmet & Great People To Work With
L1 Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON22 January 2017
Awesome Environmet & Great People To Work With. A typical day at work primarily consists of troubleshooting hardware and software issues for clients remotely, and handling escalations if need be. Other responsibilities include making daily reports regarding customer satisfaction and following up if necessary. Everyone is extremely helpful to one another, and everyone has something unique they can contribute to the corporate environment. The management is extremely accommodating when it comes to scheduling and/or leaves for the employees. The hardest part of the job is when you're a new employee and you're about to take your very first call, but that is also what makes it the most enjoyable since there is always something new to learn every single day with potentially every client you come across with.
Pros
flexible hours, ability to work remotely, excellent training and management
Cons
low pay
Excellent place to work - Poor pay and lack of advancement opportunities.
IT Solution Lead (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 November 2016
Great work life balance. Excellent learning opportunities and support for first line management. However pay is generally below industry average and increases are hard to come by. Basically what you get hired on is likely what you will be earning for the foreseeable future.
Pros
Work Life
Cons
Pay
Fantastic support of staff. I loved working there.
Correspondence Secretary, Intellectual Property (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2017
I feel very fortunate to have started my career with such a stellar company. IBM was very good to me. I resigned when my second child was born, because my husband and I decided it was more important for mom to be at home until the children started school. I don't regret our decision one bit. One cannot get that time back, and I feel it really helped my children that I was at home with them. But in a perfect world I would have loved to return to IBM once the children were in school all day.
Pros
We were treated so, so well
good place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 August 2016
good place to work. I loved working at the client site and it was a very good experience. good benefits. some nice perks if you investigate.
Good management good location competitive pay continuing education
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
I have had a good experience working with IBM for Alberta Health Services. I have nothing negative to say about them until this day,

The management always treated the team with professionalism, respect, fairness, clarity, and with the right amount of fun and laughter.

I look forward in having the same experience with other companies. At the same time, I will always bring this culture with me and influence my new team.

Change is good.
IBM was a great place to work for until about a couple of years ago
SENIOR TECHNICAL SOLUTIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON22 August 2016
IBM was a great organization to work for as I have learned a great deal over the 19 years I've worked there. It provided me with both job challenges and rewards until changes within upper management and their strategic goals and direction. Their strategic goals/direction resulted in organizational restructuring; hence layoffs spanning over a few years.

The job of a Technical Solutions Manager (TSM) can be challenging as it involves working on both RFS' for existing clients and "new logo" deals. New logo deals are considered potential new clients that are not currently part of IBM portfolio. We're competing with other vendors and bidding on the opportunities; hence working on aggressive timelines and cost is a major factor in winning the deal.

I've spent working on a solution at 3am with the IBM project executive scrubbing the cost case to a price point to win the deal.
Pros
Mobility - ability to work at home and any IBM mobility facility
Cons
Long hours when working on deals including weekends
IBM is a great employer
Application Architect-PI (Former Employee) –  India, UK, Canada15 November 2016
IBM as an organization has lots to offer in terms of opportunities, good work culture and facilities.
It gave me a career to excel and ample opportunities to showcase my skills and talent. The working environment was good and the processes in the company were well thought off.
Pros
Recognition of good work
Cons
Opportunities to diversify
Great place
Software Developer, DB2 Development Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Markham Ontario Canada17 May 2016
Great place to work at.
Excellent atmosphere.
Excellent benefits.
Amazing Colleagues.
Enjoyable work.
We've long been told our ability to succeed depends on our IQ, talent, education level, gender, job title, or when and where we were born. IBM turns that conventional thinking on its head to reveal that innovation can come from anyone, anywhere.
Declining climate
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 June 2016
Unfortunately the more business IBM is involved in, the less it values its employees. There is no reasonable explanation as to why current valuable employees are being cut, while inexperienced and incompetent staff are given jobs.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
salary, climate
Good place to grow your skills
Senior Managing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 March 2017
If you are looking for a breadth of education and experiences, IBM offers a lot of both. However, you do need to be a self-starter and self-promoter in order to take best advantage of IBM's opportunities.
Pros
Education; growth opportunities within the company
Cons
overtime; varying culture in diff departments
Constant management churn and process changes cause unstable environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 September 2016
Spent 7 years in one department under the same manager, then the next 7 years on another team I lost count of the managers, executives, and senior management team - it was like a merry go round. Constant churn meant no ownership, lack of knowledge and expertise, and an unhappy, positive environment to work in. Management is too top heavy and lacked integrity. Cost cutting starts at the bottom, where the work is done. Should be cut from top down where the large paycheques are handed out. Non-management jobs constantly being sent offshore where work ethics are different. Impact of offshoring to business is noticeable, yet IBM sells it to the client as seamless. They don't walk the talk. It became too impersonal and uncaring to work there any longer.
stressful
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 January 2017
Due to the nature of the job it was very stressful specially at month ends and year end . Long Hours but was able to work from home
Pros
work from home
Good place, some mismanagement
Project Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
A great place to work, the managers are wonderful and understanding and caring. unfortunately they are letting go of a lot of great people and seem to be keeping some of the stragglers.

hopefully this isn't the end of a great place, and hopefully soon they start hiring full-time non-contract staff.
Pros
work/life balence and management
Cons
job security
good place to gain experience
Compiler Optimization Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON21 November 2016
good place to gain experience. But the culture and the working habits may varies from team to team. work/life balance is great tho. you can come in late as long as you finish your jobs
Very Demanding Job
I/TAP Systems Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 May 2016
Very Demanding Job, no gratification on work well done, no raises in 7 years, unstable placement, alot of acquisitions always taking place
Great to obtain skills and knowledge
Service Delivery Manager - IBM/JLL (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 March 2017
A good place for one to learn business knowledge and skills to advance your career in an IT environment. The ability to advance within IBM has been limited with the last few years as they have out sourced a lot of there positions.
Great place to work at
Infrastructure Program Manager / Sr. PM (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2016
I worked at IBM for over 18 years and I enjoyed my life with IBM. I particularly enjoy the available education and the well established processes in project management. There have been a lot of transformation and changes making it not as enjoyable as it used to be, There are great opportunities to learn (education and certifications) and work with global team s.t. you get to know people from other countries and became friend (not just a colleague)

For internal, there are way too many internal systems and hard to find out how to fix issues when problem occurs in the process due to transformation of resources.
Pros
A lot of processes
Cons
Good education and very flexible
Great learning opportunities
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 January 2017
hands on experience in managing your own line of business, executing financial decisions, reporting your numbers to IBM's financial controllers.

Experience running SQL, and Cognos programs.
Pros
work autonomously
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

75%