IBM Employee Reviews

Excellent Environment; wonderful colleagues; productive
DBA/Software Developer (consultant) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2017
-Multiple locations on any single day.
-Free all day breakfast while on TSX (then TSE) premises
-Good management and positive attitude of employees led to productive environment.
-Hardest part of job : Detail visual inspection of all software for potential Y2K issues.
-Best part of the job was the satisfaction of knowing that all will be good come year 2000. The elaborate all day breakfast. Being surrounded by wonderful hardworking employees.
Great Local Staff
Solution Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2017
I am typically the first in the office in the morning, and often the last to leave. I gained a deep knowledge of virtualized environments and data center management, coupled with a heavy workload. The workplace was pleasant and relaxed. I found the lack of technical background of the project managers a difficulty. Opportunities to work clients through a successful project always gives me the most satisfaction.
Pros
Excellent core project team
Cons
Job Security
New experience
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Bangalore Urban, Karnataka9 October 2017
> People were always helpful and made me feel like a big family.
> Work ownership was always proper.
> Efficient Multi tasking is the only go in today's competitive world
Pros
work culture
Cons
Too much to grasp sometimes
Loved it
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2017
Very nice place to work. There were two drawbacks however. The first is you could only work in any one section to a maximum of two years. The second is that depending on the section you worked in you were limited in how much help you could offer customers.
Reguar work environment
Canadian Leadership Data Centre Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 October 2017
Regular environment, customer space for critical mission needs. Vendors and customers management, access controls, daily operations. Infrastructure maintenance
L2 Application and Infrastructure Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montreal3 October 2017
Only 67000Miles on a Cummins diesel, just spent 7000 on a new rear and whole emergency brake. Also has a liftgate, 20 foot box, was used for lite work at a library. Runs and drives excellent shifts perfect. Clean title
great place to start your career
Technical Support Analyst (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 October 2017
very helpful team, and very co-operative. great place to learn something everyday. best part of the job is to have fun activities along with the so you feel much stress about the work
Highly educated coworkers, great learning experience.
Lead Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2017
Diverse, global team
Work from home option and flexible hours
Supportive management
Plenty of career growth opportunities. Comprehensive training on all different aspects of becoming an advisor to the client in sales
Great sales procedure and methods and frameworks
Access to a lot of training material and expertise
Willingness from other IBMers to help us learn and grow in the company
Pros
"Employee can work from home when it is necessary"
Cons
Low bonus but it may rise
Corner Stone
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON, Canada26 September 2017
Joining IBM at my early age was a corner stone in building my professional character, learning the benefits of well constructed process, standardization and team work.
Great experience
Senior Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2017
I have a good experience with IBM; worked in the most interesting and relevant programs in the market. Work / Life balance is not always ideal although there is tremendous learning too.
workplace culture
Strategic Sourcing Buyer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2017
IBM Canada offered the opportunity to obtain Canadian experience after migrating as I was already familiar with the work culture having previously worked in IBM.
Good Employer
Senior Operations Professional (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB23 September 2017
Enjoyed working with IBM India a lot, the company is very well organised and working with IBM is very fruitful in every sense for an employee. I would not have left my job there if I wouldnt have to pursue my MBA from the Universityof New Brunswick.
productive and knowledgeable
1st Level Technical Support and Resolution (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2017
Excellent work environment which provides an equal opportunity towards job advancement. However, the job/work starts with off with a contract and rarely offers full-time/permanent job/position.
Pros
paid lunches and breaks
Cons
evening shift
Was a great place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2017
I think the ibm building tought me how to be a independent person as i worked by. My self. I learned how to be strong .i loved working there i enjoyed the people in the building
Pros
Working by my self
Cons
Not having the suport i needed
Good company to work with.
Senior IT Engineer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON20 September 2017
There is a lot of things that you can learn from this company. It is an evolving company in a very competitive market.
There is always someone somewhere in the company that is really good in the area that have a good heart and willing to help you if you are stuck.
Pros
Lot of things to learn, got some of the best talent out there.
Cons
Too many process bog down progress.
Fast paced performing one to two week engagements.
Managing Consultant (Former Employee) –  IBM customer on-site locations18 September 2017
As a Consultant for IBM Global Services I received engagements lasting one week or longer for performing EAM post implementation review. My deployments were either by email or verbal.

Rarely did an IBM representative accompany me to the job site and this autonomy was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Not enough down time between assignments. Typical week was fly out on Sunday, work four ten or longer hour days, fly back on Friday, complete expense reports and other management reporting on Saturday.
Diminishing global presence
I/T Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg18 September 2017
While competitors were building new technologies and solutions for IBM's clients, the company was cutting cost and artificially increasing "Goodwill" in a quest to $20 EPS. The company is attempting to erase 10 years of lost opportunity, which is a very difficult feat in a rapidly changing environment. I hope they succeed and for the sake of the great employees working there, I wish them Good luck.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Top down management structure - do as upper management say or else
Productive and fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2017
• Worked with research teams to conduct research and development of new software applications.
• Conducted research and development of adaptive systems used to plan and allocate resources for various technology processes, including completing batch and interactive jobs in a cloud computing environment.
• Planned and developed a prototype of an adaptive system designed to complete automatic resource provisioning; solution was developed using IBM software (WebSphere, DB2, TIO, Trade6) within a Xen virtualized environment.
Built Web Hosting farm
Advisor IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2017
one of the team who built and implemented a web hosting farm for IBM in Toronto and Montreal, Great experience and great people to work with. But I had a plan to move to complete my PHD, at York University, therefore I had to leave
Pros
good experince
Cons
no challenge
Not the same as 2 decades ago
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canada11 September 2017
Perks and benefits have come down a lot since the 90's, but fairly good job security once you have your foot in the door and you prove yourself to management.