IBM Employee Reviews

Productive (ok) place to work
In-Circuit Tester (Clean Room Operations) (Former Employee) –  Don Mills, ON12 January 2018
Even if you were outstanding you were treated pretty bland, such as
you were a number waiting to come to an end. There was no talk
of promotion. Everyone in my boat was going to be gone in a year or when their contract was ended.
IBM is gone from there as far as I know.
Pros
Felt a little important
Cons
no benefits and the business was ready to die
Great history, slow to change, poor employee morale
Senior Managing Solution Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2018
Was a great company to work for in the past. Amazing colleagues. However it is in decline and employee morale is brutally low. They have finally figured out where the industry is going, but have been slow to adapt.
Pros
lots of diverse experiences. Ability to move ahead if you are willing to make the sacrifices
Cons
Poor employee morale. Long work hours.
Cubical style workplace
Software Automation Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 January 2018
IBM culture was relaxed. I was able to work comfortably while also enjoying their pool table at lunch time. I would recommend this company to a friend looking for an internship.
excellent place to work.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Sears Canada Head Quarters4 January 2018
Only worked for 9 months and felt I was with IBM for a long time.
The management made me comfortable and treated me like
I've been in the company for awhile. Would love to go back to IBM if opportunity is given to me. thx.
high competition
IT Service Activation's Leader and SAP (Former Employee) –  PE3 January 2018
Training in a company like IBM has a number of benefits, personally I must thank the competitive environment that allowed me to learn, adapt and improve every day to achieve standing out among so many good professionals. On the other hand, culture is strong and so vital that even today I remember and value it.
Pros
constant challenges
Cons
Good place to work and learn
IT Infrastructure Architect (Current Employee) –  Asia2 January 2018
Its great to start the career with the IT Giant IBM. You can learn lot of things across different domains and lot of good opportunities to grow oneself in path of technical career.
28.5 years, 3 major culture changes and in the end far too micro-managed
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Numerous30 December 2017
Over my 28.5 years I was fortunate enough to work in a variety of locations around the world and in varying / different roles. Having lived through and experienced the major culturally shifts from the days when IBM was a "family" to being seen as a singular "headcount" to the days of everyone having to be "financially" accountable ... there was much good as well as much pain during these shifts. In the end, what IBM taught me as a senior manager bode very well in the 10+ years after I left the company in late 2005. Unfortunately it takes years, probably decades, for a 100 billion company to shift yet again and continue to grow financially!
Pros
Culture in the 70s and 80s
Cons
Micro focus on daily financial performance
Kelly Services
Bench Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON23 December 2017
When I joined IBM It was through Kelly Services Agency, The team I was under where very fun yet reclusive. They took the time to train me and teach me about the inner workings of IBM.
IT Team Lead / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON21 December 2017
Great place to work . 20 years with IBM wish I was still there. Working from home was a plus , Moved around to different roles and enjoyed to work at IBM and people .
Pros
work at home
Cons
longer hours working from home
Best place to work
Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ramapuram, Chennai, Tamil Nadu21 December 2017
IBM is very good for employees. It provides lots of benefits for employees,especially for diversity employees. The work life balance is very good in IBM.
Global Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2017
A typical day at work - professional, busy and productive.
Trained at IBM on Lotus Notes 8.5.4 Advanced
The Management was great, professional and experienced in the line of work.
Pros
Great people and work environment
Cons
Job insecurities
OK for junior employee
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 December 2017
It is a great company to start your career with. But after you reach intermediate level seniority, please leave the company. They will not give you salary increment or promotion.
Dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Content Writer (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON12 December 2017
The smartest people working as hard as possible. The employees at IBM are simply the best you will find in any corporate company. Creating a work/life balance is possible if the employee takes ownership of creating the balance and maintaining it. World-class training in all aspects of the technology business, sales, technical/lab opportunities, and worldwide roles available.
IBM is indeed one of the best places to work and grow. The company ha soffered me the best of the oppurtunities and the management is very motivating
Sr. Test lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2017
IBM is indeed one of the best places to work and grow. The company has offered me the best of the opportunities and the management is very motivating. I have always been encouraged to take up challenges, which has helped in my professional growth.
Tough work but great management
LOGISTICS/DATA ANALYST, SDS TRAFFIC (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 December 2017
Its been a great experience working here. Its a constant work environment and highly supportive. As one of my first jobs out of school, it was like being thrown into the deep end but the management was very helpful and supportive.
IBM has changed since the 70's
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 November 2017
As usual with big companies, the focus is on profits and shareholder returns.

All the perks that existed when I joined in the 70's are gone. Job security no longer exists, part of the reason I joined IBM. My job no longer exists, and neither do the people who worked for me.

Many functional level decision were made without involving those with the knowledge of the business.

Canada was the poor cousin of the US. Whatever the US wanted, Canada had to comply, even if it meant significant job losses and loss of revenue.

The world changes and companies need to keep up. But do to that IBM has sacrificed jobs and loyalty.
Pros
Big company with a long history
Cons
Long hours with little work / life balance
Good stability, not a lot of room for advancement
Big Data and Analytics sales Account Exec (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2017
IBM was a great company to learn from. Lots of great people to work with and learn from. A lot of changes happen weekly, monthly, quarterly and you have to have the ability to adapt. As they say one person alone cannot steer an entire ship.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interaction with the customer and trying to get your particular product/solution set to be a priority. Not only were you competing against your competitor but also your co-workers in each division of IBM.
Pros
CoWorkers
Cons
Too many meetings/anti-productive
Recognition as an employee of a largest technology company in the world
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2017
Contract and agency employees are not respected and treated equally as preference and recognition given to full time employees by the management. Full-time employees does not interact with contract employees.
Pros
Friendly work environment, flexible working hours
Cons
No job security, employees are hired only on contract basis, no health benefits
Excellent work life balance.
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2017
I have been in this organization since 2010. The management is really good, the work culture is amazing. The best part of this organization is that it gives you flexibility within organization to change role/profile.
fun wok place
Technicien en informatique (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 November 2017
Excellent employer

Good management, nice working facilities,
possibility to work from home
good salary increase program