IBM
6,282 reviews

IBM Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
SUDO PROJECT
Unix System Administrator (SUDO PROJECT) (Current Employee), Markham, ONJuly 29, 2015
Pros: employee day, big cafeteria
As part of the System Compliance team i got to learn many things.Learned about the compliance terms of IBM.I had the opportunity of working with IBM clients from all around the world.Its good to have colleagues all around the world.Hardest part of the job is multitasking.Need to support most of the clients of IBM remotely.So sometimes situation is like that attending a meeting over phone and supporting multiple clients remotely from the laptop using the sametime chat.Most enjoyable part of the job you have lots of areas of improvements and learning.Lots of research can be done.And I never get bored
Technical Support Associate (Former Employee), 1127 2nd aveJuly 21, 2015
Pros: all technical work
Cons: some people wanted too much support
it was all technical support nice and clean job. most client were nice to technicians. always micro management, for every thing a dozen people to check the job.
Working for IBM was the most prestigious job
IT ANLYST 'PRODUCTION SUPPORT DEPT.' (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Compensation was fantastic.
Cons: Was always stressful.
Compensation was fantastic, and working hours were short.
Plenty of privileges made the job very lucrative.

Management always rewarded their employees.
Security conscious forward-looking company
Expense Analyst (Current Employee), Markham, ONJuly 14, 2015
IBM pays very well, so that an outside contractor can afford to pay for their own dental, life and medical insurance.

People work hard and are happy to be working with a reputable company.
Challenging Environment
Senior Oracle DBA (Former Employee), torontoJuly 14, 2015
Team members and Management were very friendly and cooperative, always ready to lend hand when required.
overall a great challenging work environment
Fun place to work
representative of the IT Infrastructure Team (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 14, 2015
Great place to work I felt I learned something every day
Managements are always want to know how we can improve
Co-workers are very friendly, but not knowledgeable
The hardest part of the job was travelling
The most enjoyable part of the job was 4 days on 3 days off
The management is very good!
Senior iOS Application Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 14, 2015
I like the team, and my manager as well.
We have multiple roles in a project time and agile is really good to control requirements.
work in a controlled clean room
production (Former Employee), Bromont, QcJuly 12, 2015
Pros: can listen to music during our night shift
Cons: night shift only
I was in the night shift production for parts. I learn quickly and been able to give training to new workers. We did what was decided during the day because the bigger boss had meeting during the day when we execute during the night
Home Office
Business Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 6, 2015
At IBM, employees are able to work from home which could be very helpful during bad weather days, specially in winter (snowstorms)
Excellent company
Advisory IT Architect (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 3, 2015
Pros: At all levels, everyone is contributing to the overall result. Positive job culture.
Cons: Sometimes so international and virtual you feel you're a number
At IBM, I met a lot of co-workers and management with I the best knowledge and professional attitude ever. Job culture is great, as are benefits. Executive management is aware of the need to constantly reinvent the business strategy to stay relevant as one of the giants of the Enterprise IT Services world. The company offers lots of innovation and learning opportunities.
Its a great company
Application Developer- Cognos (Current Employee), torontoJuly 2, 2015
IBM a wonderful company to be with. An individual can start his/her career and can move forward as much as he can.various options to choose for.
IBM has lost its touch, slow moving crippled bahemoth
IT Specialist (Web Application Developer) (Current Employee), Halifax, NSJune 18, 2015
Pros

I am currently working for IBM Canada at Halifax location as an IT Specialist. IBM is not what it used to be before. The only pros of IBM now is, its stamp on your resume. That would help you get another better opportunity easier. Some of the other pros I could think of are flexible hours and the 'work from home' policy. But even those policies have some faults. To work form home you will need to get your manager's approval without it you will have to work from office.

Cons

A lot of minus points for IBM Canada here at Halifax. The compensation is very low even though Halifax is one of the most expensive city in whole Canada with 15% tax on everything. The office is over crowded. They don't even have enough cubicals for employees to sit and they are still hiring more resources. The work is repetitive, nothing new to learn. This would get boring for a young guy like me. The management is the worse. They don't even know about the company very well. Not very supportive and not at all interested in employees work or growth. Office location is in a remote area, no food stalls near by. Office doesn't have a canteen either.

Advice to Management

Be open about our situation. Know more about the company it self. Have a two way conversation with your employees.
enhanced knowledge regarding shortest distance
data entry operator (Former Employee), Brampton, onJune 16, 2015
i have worked for 12-14 weeks for this project and it was learning experience for me. i have learnt different things like data algorithm and how we can calculate shortest distance from one place to another place without wasting too much time.
excellent work environment, very pleasant team spirit
Senior Delivery Program Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Pros: excellent staff
Cons: different time zones
I worked with global IT clients on a daily basis, the teams I managed were located in Asia, S America, USA and Canada. Our goals was to provide the best IT service at the best cost as outlined in the service contracts
Good for a first job but bad for growth
Software Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 13, 2015
Pros: High starting salary
Cons: Incompetent management, limited salary growth, limited innovation
IBM has a high starting salary for developers ($70K) but it offers very little raise and bonuses (if any) even if you are promoted.

The benefits are okay. They are being reduced year by year though.

The company does not care about employees and its overall prospect the is negative,

Career managers and career executives have run the company to the ground by gaming the books instead of innovating. The company tries to make up for its shortfall by regularly laying off people and cutting benefits/salaries/bonuses - instead of addressing why it is losing market share.

This causes many of the good people (including myself) to leave for greener pastures.

The management in IBM is over-bloated and inefficient. Politics between departments often pose severe obstacles to achieving business results. For instance, if we are to use an IBM product to serve a customer, then that product's department will try to rip us off by charging a premium (because that counts towards their quarterly results)

At other times, we can have departments rejected request of assistance to a customer by citing the request was improperly filed (in this case, it's my department doing it to others).

Job security is low if you are in a department that is not making a lot of money. On the other hand, if you are in a department that has good revenue, then you are also unlikely to be fired even if you are grossly incompetent.

In overall, IBM is a good place for people to start their career because it pays a fair amount for new graduates. It also gives people a taste of a typical corporate culture. However, the stay in the company should not exceed two years.
very good experience for an intern
Quality Assurance Test Automation, Co-op (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 8, 2015
Pros: good experience, challenging, work on new technology
Cons: some teams are overloaded with work
As an intern, it was very educational and definitely good company to have in your record tracking (looks good on resume).
The best part is that you get to work on tomorrow's technology and you'd be able to influence the technology industry.
Good environment to work.
Onsite Basel Support coordinator (Current Employee), Steels ,MarkhamJune 7, 2015
I feel IBM is a Good company to work in terms of environment etc. People will love to work with this company. IBM gives better opportunity to the employees.
IBM through Kelly Services - Equifax client
Technical Support/Help Desk (contract) (Former Employee), North York, ONJune 5, 2015
Pros: lunches and building and working through an agency for IBM
Cons: travel time and hours
help desk role answering calls as they come in and routing them to the proper department for solution issues while solving equifax inquiries.

i learned a bit about the equifax procedures regarding requesting information. client or business

management was okay, they never really said anything to the employers regarding performance or anything.

co workers were okay to get along with and easy to learn from

hardest part of the job was finding support with escalations

the lunch room and facility was amazing
A great place to work with lots of access to mentoring and coaching
Cross Brand Solutions Advocate (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible working environment
I worked in a global position which allowed me to work with people from all over the world. I worked with some of the most passionate people in business.
Overall - GOOD
Advisory Project Manager (Current Employee), Markham, ON CanadaJune 3, 2015
Pros: Excellent training sites/programs at IBM
Cons: Too much sections/groups within one unit
Good company to work with. Applied management skills, which I learned from previous employers.
Working environment is FUNtastic...
Came across many excellent resources, who provided me good support in completing my projects in time.

1 2 3 4 5

About IBM

International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), is an information technology (IT) company. s major operations include Global – Read more