IBM Employee Reviews in Canada

Lots of wishes, poor management
Managing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2015
When you join you get great training an corporate values and encouragement for initiatives. But on the job, people with too much expectations are quickly brought back to reality and discouraged from sticking their head above the crowd with new ideas. No wonder IBM didn't had any growth for years, their middle management is totally inadequate and ineffective. This is a place where experience and know-how becomes embarrassing as it makes the young managers look like they know nothing and first thing you know you are out the door. Pity.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Cut-throat management, no team work
Great company to grow a career..now in transition.
National Mgr Projects and Operations (Former Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 14, 2015
I appreciate working in a mobile environment. Training in both technical and management is likely one of the best in the industry. I've learned to take ownership of my career path. Working for a large corporation allows one to totally change career paths without having to leave the company.
IBM attracts the best people to work for them by treating them fairly including work/life balance, competitive salary and great benefits program.
Hardest part of the job would be the loss of autonomy when the company is in shrink mode.
Most enjoyable is the trust the company and management have in you to do your job and give you the decision making ability to go with that responsibility.
Pros
Size of the company
Cons
Size of the company
Excellent company to work for
Tech Support Bench Tech (Current Employee) –  MarkhamOctober 1, 2015
my favorite part about working at IBM is my co-workers and the management. My directors are very approachable and easy to talk to!
Great benefits, hands on training, very competitive pay rates and the people are just great! The corporate culture is relaxed while there is a major feeling of being a part of a team. The company mission statement is clear and it seems that all employees really are there to help people find jobs in their own way. Expectations and goals are high but the support is present to help all employees achieve set goals. Management wants to help their teams succeed.
Best company in the world!
Series of Sales/Marketing/Management Roles (Former Employee) –  OntarioDecember 1, 2015
Best company, best training, greatest opportunities for advancement, amazing intelligent people, not really bosses but peers to work with and grow!
Pros
opportunities and different job every 1-2 years..promotions, benefits, remuneration
Cons
cant' really think of any..
Huge multinational corporation with well defined HR policies and practices
Human Resources Partner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 8, 2015
Fast paced and locally growth through acquisition of companies which created lots of integration challenges.

Very large organization which had a lot of HR programs and policies.

Great workplace flexibility but high expectations - results oriented.
Pros
Compensation, workplace flexibility, diversity
Cons
Long hours and high performance expectations
good place
Bilingual Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 5, 2016
extreme fast paced enviroment, was there just for a short term contract, good people, not much benefits, network monitoring, and other tasks and helping people on phone
Productive , well managed
IT/Installation Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 17, 2015
Supportive management and fun to work at. Decent amount of politics and decent growth not as expected. Law job security and enough amount of benefits.
Excellent company
Advisory IT Architect (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 3, 2015
At IBM, I met a lot of co-workers and management with I the best knowledge and professional attitude ever. Job culture is great, as are benefits. Executive management is aware of the need to constantly reinvent the business strategy to stay relevant as one of the giants of the Enterprise IT Services world. The company offers lots of innovation and learning opportunities.
Pros
At all levels, everyone is contributing to the overall result. Positive job culture.
Cons
Sometimes so international and virtual you feel you're a number
Working with professionals is an asset
Project Manager , Complex GTS Service Delivery (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 28, 2015
IBM's PMO for GTS provides challenging opportunities for one to deliver solutions by using multiple PM approaches. Hitting customer service levels is key but working with amazingly talented, dedicated people makes all the difference
Pros
good salary
Cons
Very odd position as you were a contractor and needed to do everything that Employees did, however because you were not an employee you did not quali
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMarch 7, 2016
The day was never the same,with us taking over the back office duties from the closure of Argentina work was fast paced. Daily you needed to think on your feet let senor management know if outside the parameters, and they would add that situation to the parameters for daily work.
Pros
they had a on line univeristy so you could take any course for free.
Cons
As a contractor the security was as long as the contract was, and you did not qualify for many perks as you were not an IBM employee
Great group of people in a large bureaucratic company
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Company lost its "innovation" years ago. convoluted process in doing the simplest of things (expenses, travel, time reporting). Great part about IBM is still the people that work there, even though Canada is treated as the "oops child". No autonomy and everything is driven by the US. Even worse in the West, as decisions are also executed mostly in Toronto. Calgary office is 100% the best office in Canada, but lacks opportunities outside of oil & gas.
Pros
People. Pay.
Cons
1 type of clients. no support for upper upper management (Toronto or New York)
Great opportunity for Job/Life balance. Flexible schedule to sometime accomodate long work hours.Impressive set of available technical skills.
Statistical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bromont, QCJune 29, 2016
Working with a group of highly skilled technical people.

Liberty to manage your schedule, even if it does imply putting in long hours

Many occasions to develop useful and diverse skills (project management, technical knowledge/ support is easily available.)

Sometime project develop at a slow pace, but mostly due to ressources constraints.

Definitely the most enjoyable part of the job is to obtain technical results that yield concrete improvments
Pros
Open schedule
Cons
Long hours, rare salary adjustement
Excellent company to work for
Windows Migration - Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Worked as an Independent contractor with IBM and it was great!

Hours and compensation is good. No complaints.

Interview was easy.
Great place to be ** IBM **
Incident Analyst/ Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 2, 2016
IBM was a great place to work and learn. The exposure was immense. While I started off taking technical calls initiallyt, my job soon saw many more responsibilities.

I was handling escalations, access requests , updating Knowledge database, handling Change Management and Problem Management.

My peers and management team was very friendly, supportive and always encouraged me to take up new challenges.
Pros
Great team to be a part of
Strangled by Process and Controls
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2016
After years of layoffs and cutbacks we're down to staffing levels that cannot suffer more than one sick day. Stress levels are incredibly high. The expectation is always that your name is next on the layoff list, and has been so since well before the recent economic problems.
No cost of living raises. Adjusted for inflation I'm now paid several thousands of dollars a year less than when I was hired.
Basically this company should no longer be thought of as a leader, but rather as an entry level position.
Pros
Work from home! That's about it.
Cons
5 year old, 14" laptop. Culture of treating people as capital.
Work Life balance
Project Manager& Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  torontoAugust 7, 2015
Work life balance and work culture is good at IBM. Benefits are also good. Overall IBM is a good company. You can can opportunities to work with different MNCs
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Salary
Great place to work but same issues as every place
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  markham, ontarioJuly 10, 2015
This is a great place to work, I've been working here since I graduated 15 years ago. I work with an incredible team and was very well compensated for my efforts, however due to down turn in quarterly profits, I don't get to work with the same team and compensation is pretty well at a stand still. I've spoken to others and it's the same issue in other places. I know the grass isn't greener, but it would be nice to see a new lawn.
Mixed bag experience
Content Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2016
There are so many products and divisions, you have a fair bit of opportunity to try out different things. There are a lot of wonderful and talented people, but they're overworked and, frankly, exploited.
The relatively mediocre pay was compensated for by their flexible work policy, which was recently cancelled.
They have some interesting ideas in how they're going to revitalize the company, but they are not great at execution and too burdened by the pressure to cut costs... constantly.
Pros
lots of talent and products
Cons
slaves to the stock price
Daily work life
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2016
My typical work day involves meetings, projects, reporting, communicating with clients, and meeting deadlines. I worked with a great bunch guys with who shared the same interests.
Pros
Competitive environment
Would not recommend
Representative (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 1, 2015
Mismanaged, no-one really cares, no incentive to do well.

There is no enjoyable part to working here.

I have been on contract for almost 4 years, without any benefits, or raises. I have no job security.

Repeatedly denied attempts to move around in the organization.

No-one does their jobs correctly and everything is pushed to my team to fix.

We literally do everyone else's work on top of our actual responsibilities.
Pros
Cons
Pretty much everything