IBM Employee Reviews

IBM best
Asset Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
The best of IBM is the work/Life Balance with the home office style and flexibility to manage you time.
Is also a very organized company, you have procedures to follow and that makes your work a lot better.
The Salary is usually less than the market value but it is worth it because of the flexibility.
Job Security depends on the customers: no customer = no job which is not good, they should find another place for employees being such a big company.
Management is overall excellent, with open doors policy to reach out second line managers if needed.
Job Culture is one of the best I've seen, there is a clear culture and you don't have a doubt about it.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
Salary
Decent position, but kinda boring
Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 March 2017
I've worked in an IBM office for almost 4 years, and the work environment has not changed. The tasks are the same, the hours are the same, and anything that actually needs doing can be completed in minimal time while still being thorough.

My only beef is that my contractor company isn't big on providing raises. It's been almost 3yrs since my last raise. In simple terms, I work for IBM, but I'm not employed by IBM.
Pros
Guaranteed daytime hours, amazing clients, easy commute
Cons
Not many raises, quiet atmosphere, not very busy
Work/Life Balance and Job Security was good
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 November 2016
Working from home option for work/life balance was good.
Other than work/life balance and job security (which is no longer there nowadays), advancement is offered rarely and poorly, salary is very poor compared to market, management and job culture is pretty difficult to adapt ever since offshore/onshore model.
Feels like a battle field
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
There is no job security.

Benefits are poor

They constantly hire, then let people go. Its a total disaster on the revolving carousel.

Total loss of focus on the customer. The dollar is most important.

The biggest pro?

Your co-workers, when you are under constant fire, co-workers unit to become a close working group.
Pros
its a paying job
Cons
everything
They don't care
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON21 March 2017
This company was a fantastic place to work before the mid 90's. They started to only care about the bottom dollar and not the employees. They took away so many great benefits. They set targets well beyond anything that could be attained. They made billions every year but didn't reach the targets so packaged people out quarterly.
Huge IT Servicing Company
Senior Midrange and Mainframe Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 November 2016
Strong work culture that seeks to be the leader in IT services on a global scale. Hard to become a permanent employee, most jobs are contractual while at IBM.
Pros
compensation rate, benefits, advancement, work culture
Cons
contract jobs
Nice place to work for
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS8 November 2016
A lot of possibilities, good people, but it looks like the company is not doing financially so well overall.
But every IBM office is different.
There are good benefits, but there is nothing for the employees like no coffee, not milk, not even tea. Need to pay extra for those basic things that you drink.
Pros
They have a good name, for your next job.
Cons
Not a good working environment over all.
Great opportunity for Job/Life balance. Flexible schedule to sometime accomodate long work hours.Impressive set of available technical skills.
Statistical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bromont, QC29 June 2016
Working with a group of highly skilled technical people.

Liberty to manage your schedule, even if it does imply putting in long hours

Many occasions to develop useful and diverse skills (project management, technical knowledge/ support is easily available.)

Sometime project develop at a slow pace, but mostly due to ressources constraints.

Definitely the most enjoyable part of the job is to obtain technical results that yield concrete improvments
Pros
Open schedule
Cons
Long hours, rare salary adjustement
Its a nice place to work. Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON25 February 2017
It was a great place to work. Once of the first places I started to work from.
The salary was good, but it was not par with industry standards.
Overall great place to work. Will work for them again.
Not the company it once was
GTS Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2016
A large bureaucratic company that lost its way and is now late to the game to transfrom itself - in order to save itself.

Huge focus on shareholder value with little concern for expendable casualties, like employees. They are cutting employees worldwide wiuth little regard for skills, experience or loyalty. Many jobs being sent offshore. The work enviroment is toxic as everyone os looklinmg over their shoulders wondering if they are next.

For a company that used to pride itself on customer and staff focus, this has all been lost.
Pros
Work from home, decent initial salary
Cons
No salary increas, No time or budget for education, Very few true leaders, Cut throat work environment, Constant arbitrary resource actions
Strangled by Process and Controls
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
After years of layoffs and cutbacks we're down to staffing levels that cannot suffer more than one sick day. Stress levels are incredibly high. The expectation is always that your name is next on the layoff list, and has been so since well before the recent economic problems.
No cost of living raises. Adjusted for inflation I'm now paid several thousands of dollars a year less than when I was hired.
Basically this company should no longer be thought of as a leader, but rather as an entry level position.
Pros
Work from home! That's about it.
Cons
5 year old, 14" laptop. Culture of treating people as capital.
Fun place to work
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON14 December 2016
IBM is undoubtly great place to work. They provider their employees with amazing benefits and comfortable environment to work in. The food court is also great with different options to try.
Client Relationship Representative (Former Employee) –  N/A30 September 2016
Had a great experience at IBM, as I spent nearly 11 years there. There was a pretty good work-life balance, which really kept me motivated. The salary was pretty attractive too.
Flexible work env
IT Specialist (Team lead) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
Nice to work with. Flexible work culture. Very less salary. Job security very minimum. Very good learning exp. Lot of certification programs. Good exposure.
High maintenance
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 September 2016
Hard to advance. Very competitive internal environment. Good culture of learning so there are great opportunities to learn. However, compensation is relatively uncompetitive relative to the industry.
Job that payed the bills.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB23 August 2016
This employment was not the most enjoyable job. I had no chance for growth within the company. There was no challenges for me to advance my skills within the work place. It was a steady job that provided me with Monday-Friday 9-5 employment.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
No Benifits
No loyalty to employee. Would not recommend people to work there.
Senior I/T Specialist and Programmer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 December 2016
Real simple, no loyalty but expect employ to have some.....Would not recommend to anybody to work there. Still have lots of friends working there but all looking for move on before the company breaks them. Co-workers are great to work with but upper management have no more control or minimum control on business direction. Everything moved globally which local business is suffering. And when they say work life balance, just take a look at what they say first... 'work'.
Pros
Cons
Loyalty
Extremely slow and bearocratic
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON20 January 2017
Great for development, but significant lack of work life balance. Management tries to push every last ounce out of you and the roles are draining/boring. Typical hours are 10 hours a day with the odd weekend of work required. Month end/quarter ends require weekend work and typically ~12 hours a day. Many reviews for data consumers with not enough actions coming out of reviews.
Pros
Learning opportunities, smart people
Cons
Extremely long hours
productive and fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 January 2017
a typical day at work is a straight forward do what you have do and get it done. what I learned is to have fun pay attention and do your job right. workplace culture learn about each culture I think its good for everyone to learn about each culture. the hardest part of the job is looking after your job and your stuff so you don't lose it or you don't mess up and lose your job. the most enjoyable part of the job is being with your employees and working.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
Fun, respectful, balanced place to work
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON7 March 2017
As a team lead, most of my work involves meetings, answering emails, studying problems, reading and writing documents. I choose when I want to have my breaks and lunch which works out well because I work when I most productive and stop when I am tired. The managements is pretty good and capable. The workplace culture is open, open to new ideas, and respectful. The hardest part of the job with a large company like IBM is the admin and the time it gets to get things approved. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people.
Pros
Respect
Cons
Admin