IBM Employee Reviews

Decent position, but kinda boring
Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 March 2017
I've worked in an IBM office for almost 4 years, and the work environment has not changed. The tasks are the same, the hours are the same, and anything that actually needs doing can be completed in minimal time while still being thorough.

My only beef is that my contractor company isn't big on providing raises. It's been almost 3yrs since my last raise. In simple terms, I work for IBM, but I'm not employed by IBM.
Pros
Guaranteed daytime hours, amazing clients, easy commute
Cons
Not many raises, quiet atmosphere, not very busy
IBM best
Asset Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
The best of IBM is the work/Life Balance with the home office style and flexibility to manage you time.
Is also a very organized company, you have procedures to follow and that makes your work a lot better.
The Salary is usually less than the market value but it is worth it because of the flexibility.
Job Security depends on the customers: no customer = no job which is not good, they should find another place for employees being such a big company.
Management is overall excellent, with open doors policy to reach out second line managers if needed.
Job Culture is one of the best I've seen, there is a clear culture and you don't have a doubt about it.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
Salary
Fun, respectful, balanced place to work
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON7 March 2017
As a team lead, most of my work involves meetings, answering emails, studying problems, reading and writing documents. I choose when I want to have my breaks and lunch which works out well because I work when I most productive and stop when I am tired. The managements is pretty good and capable. The workplace culture is open, open to new ideas, and respectful. The hardest part of the job with a large company like IBM is the admin and the time it gets to get things approved. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people.
Pros
Respect
Cons
Admin
Fantastic support of staff. I loved working there.
Correspondence Secretary, Intellectual Property (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2017
I feel very fortunate to have started my career with such a stellar company. IBM was very good to me. I resigned when my second child was born, because my husband and I decided it was more important for mom to be at home until the children started school. I don't regret our decision one bit. One cannot get that time back, and I feel it really helped my children that I was at home with them. But in a perfect world I would have loved to return to IBM once the children were in school all day.
Pros
We were treated so, so well
productive and fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 January 2017
a typical day at work is a straight forward do what you have do and get it done. what I learned is to have fun pay attention and do your job right. workplace culture learn about each culture I think its good for everyone to learn about each culture. the hardest part of the job is looking after your job and your stuff so you don't lose it or you don't mess up and lose your job. the most enjoyable part of the job is being with your employees and working.
Pros
free drinks
Extremely slow and bearocratic
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON20 January 2017
Great for development, but significant lack of work life balance. Management tries to push every last ounce out of you and the roles are draining/boring. Typical hours are 10 hours a day with the odd weekend of work required. Month end/quarter ends require weekend work and typically ~12 hours a day. Many reviews for data consumers with not enough actions coming out of reviews.
Pros
Learning opportunities, smart people
Cons
Extremely long hours
Daily Operations
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  North York, ON11 January 2017
My typical day at work is check my emails about 15 min to see of any tickets or customer issues. Then I check my ticketing queue to see if there is any new tickets. I update my tickets frequently and keep the customer updated that relates to the tickets. I also close and update any changes/tickets that is in my queue.
Pros
Working with different technology is great.
Cons
Sometimes dealing with irate customer.
No loyalty to employee. Would not recommend people to work there.
Senior I/T Specialist and Programmer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 December 2016
Real simple, no loyalty but expect employ to have some.....Would not recommend to anybody to work there. Still have lots of friends working there but all looking for move on before the company breaks them. Co-workers are great to work with but upper management have no more control or minimum control on business direction. Everything moved globally which local business is suffering. And when they say work life balance, just take a look at what they say first... 'work'.
Pros
Cons
Loyalty
Large monolithic company
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 December 2016
Even though IBM appears to be a front runner with technology, the internal processes will get in the way. They are consistently trying to find ways to save the company money to improve the bottom line - including sending work to locations that are less expensive to operate. Employee satisfaction was low. The culture may have changed over the years, but as a large organization with thousands of employees, it is hard to change quickly.
Good management good location competitive pay continuing education
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
I have had a good experience working with IBM for Alberta Health Services. I have nothing negative to say about them until this day,

The management always treated the team with professionalism, respect, fairness, clarity, and with the right amount of fun and laughter.

I look forward in having the same experience with other companies. At the same time, I will always bring this culture with me and influence my new team.

Change is good.
They don't care
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON21 March 2017
This company was a fantastic place to work before the mid 90's. They started to only care about the bottom dollar and not the employees. They took away so many great benefits. They set targets well beyond anything that could be attained. They made billions every year but didn't reach the targets so packaged people out quarterly.
Feels like a battle field
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
There is no job security.

Benefits are poor

They constantly hire, then let people go. Its a total disaster on the revolving carousel.

Total loss of focus on the customer. The dollar is most important.

The biggest pro?

Your co-workers, when you are under constant fire, co-workers unit to become a close working group.
Pros
its a paying job
Cons
everything
Great company
CTS IT support (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 January 2017
It was a great company, well managed, with a lots of opportunities
Monitored kiosks and remoted support for agents at gates and checkin.
It was well managed, and I learned a lot about office enviroment.
The most enjoyable part was to help agents solve their problems via
remote support.
Pros
Large company
Cons
Shift work
Excellent place to work - Poor pay and lack of advancement opportunities.
IT Solution Lead (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 November 2016
Great work life balance. Excellent learning opportunities and support for first line management. However pay is generally below industry average and increases are hard to come by. Basically what you get hired on is likely what you will be earning for the foreseeable future.
Pros
Work Life
Cons
Pay
Nice place to work for
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS8 November 2016
A lot of possibilities, good people, but it looks like the company is not doing financially so well overall.
But every IBM office is different.
There are good benefits, but there is nothing for the employees like no coffee, not milk, not even tea. Need to pay extra for those basic things that you drink.
Pros
They have a good name, for your next job.
Cons
Not a good working environment over all.
IBM is a great employer
Application Architect-PI (Former Employee) –  India, UK, Canada15 November 2016
IBM as an organization has lots to offer in terms of opportunities, good work culture and facilities.
It gave me a career to excel and ample opportunities to showcase my skills and talent. The working environment was good and the processes in the company were well thought off.
Pros
Recognition of good work
Cons
Opportunities to diversify
Opportunity to gain experience around the world!!!
Learning & Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
• Provided advice to project managers and team leads regarding the content and design of the proposed training course to ensure learning goals were met
• Collaborated with extended teams (vendors, subcontractors, business and alliance partners, customers and IBM employees from other functional areas) to support custom content management
• Provided direction and project management to extended team in order to ensure the quality of the deliverables and that deadlines for the training event were met
• Deliver professional presentations to clients in class and/or remotely via Webex webinars
• Participated in projects for Ontario Government (IFIS), Bell ExpressVu, Marsh, IBM Canada (internal), Sprint, Sun Life Financials, MDS, & Staples
• Assigned various roles i.e. business process analyst, facilitator, technical writer, project control officer (PCO), and course developer
Work/Life Balance and Job Security was good
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 November 2016
Working from home option for work/life balance was good.
Other than work/life balance and job security (which is no longer there nowadays), advancement is offered rarely and poorly, salary is very poor compared to market, management and job culture is pretty difficult to adapt ever since offshore/onshore model.
Large company with benefit of having resources. However, company has not taken employee satisfaction survey results to task.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 November 2016
IBM is a large company that presents both challenges and opportunities. Challenges are getting recognized properly for ones accomplishments whereas the opportunities are related to the large amount of resources at the company's disposal.
They do not care about their employees
System Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 January 2017
IBM used to be the greatest place to work but has slowly become the worst place to work. They do not pay well compared to jobs in the industry they also have consistently lost money since 2008 and squeeze that money out of their employees through cuts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.