IBM Employee Reviews in Canada

Strangled by Process and Controls
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2016
After years of layoffs and cutbacks we're down to staffing levels that cannot suffer more than one sick day. Stress levels are incredibly high. The expectation is always that your name is next on the layoff list, and has been so since well before the recent economic problems.
No cost of living raises. Adjusted for inflation I'm now paid several thousands of dollars a year less than when I was hired.
Basically this company should no longer be thought of as a leader, but rather as an entry level position.
Pros
Work from home! That's about it.
Cons
5 year old, 14" laptop. Culture of treating people as capital.
Mixed bag experience
Content Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2016
There are so many products and divisions, you have a fair bit of opportunity to try out different things. There are a lot of wonderful and talented people, but they're overworked and, frankly, exploited.
The relatively mediocre pay was compensated for by their flexible work policy, which was recently cancelled.
They have some interesting ideas in how they're going to revitalize the company, but they are not great at execution and too burdened by the pressure to cut costs... constantly.
Pros
lots of talent and products
Cons
slaves to the stock price
Nice Workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  深圳市April 29, 2016
In IBM, I was responsible to lead a team to perform remote system integration projects. Every project requires us to carefully plan by communicating with our customers. I learned how to effectively manage project schedule and how to guide team members to finish their jobs. In addition, working with technical genius made me to widen my technical viewing and know how to lead a team to proceed project.
IBM Review
Senior Voice/Data Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  BramptonApril 13, 2016
Work on Rogers account implementing multiple Voice and data platforms. Troubleshoot outages and involve vendors if required. Work on projects for Rogers 77 sites across Canada. Handle problem management with customer defining root cause for outages.ONcall 24/7 for Rogers platforms.Always learning new technologies on different platforms for a fast growing environment
Pros
Fast paced
Great place to be ** IBM **
Incident Analyst/ Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 2, 2016
IBM was a great place to work and learn. The exposure was immense. While I started off taking technical calls initiallyt, my job soon saw many more responsibilities.

I was handling escalations, access requests , updating Knowledge database, handling Change Management and Problem Management.

My peers and management team was very friendly, supportive and always encouraged me to take up new challenges.
Pros
Great team to be a part of
Good Company to work with.
SAP Advisory Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 21, 2016
IBM is a good company, has many good clients and one can work at ease.
Learnt lot of new things,
But
It has weird policies, for small things approval from top management is required.
one can't move from one countries IBM to another countries IBM, even if jobs are available.
And there are many more such things.
Pros
Fun Culture, Opportunities to learn
Cons
Can't take decisions
Great place
Software Developer, DB2 Development Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Markham Ontario CanadaMay 17, 2016
Great place to work at.
Excellent atmosphere.
Excellent benefits.
Amazing Colleagues.
Enjoyable work.
We've long been told our ability to succeed depends on our IQ, talent, education level, gender, job title, or when and where we were born. IBM turns that conventional thinking on its head to reveal that innovation can come from anyone, anywhere.
IBM is a flexible employer and have great management
FULL TIME ADVISORY TECHNICAL SERVICES PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  3600 Steeles E, MarkhamMay 9, 2016
Jobs in IBM are not secure for local Americans / Canadians in regard to business
In general IBM have migrated jobs to cheap workers in India so local IBM jobs can be a temporary jobs until India workers get the knowledge and after this, local employees can expect to be laid off any time
Great group of people in a large bureaucratic company
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Company lost its "innovation" years ago. convoluted process in doing the simplest of things (expenses, travel, time reporting). Great part about IBM is still the people that work there, even though Canada is treated as the "oops child". No autonomy and everything is driven by the US. Even worse in the West, as decisions are also executed mostly in Toronto. Calgary office is 100% the best office in Canada, but lacks opportunities outside of oil & gas.
Pros
People. Pay.
Cons
1 type of clients. no support for upper upper management (Toronto or New York)
Very odd position as you were a contractor and needed to do everything that Employees did, however because you were not an employee you did not quali
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMarch 7, 2016
The day was never the same,with us taking over the back office duties from the closure of Argentina work was fast paced. Daily you needed to think on your feet let senor management know if outside the parameters, and they would add that situation to the parameters for daily work.
Pros
they had a on line univeristy so you could take any course for free.
Cons
As a contractor the security was as long as the contract was, and you did not qualify for many perks as you were not an IBM employee
Enjoyed working at IBM, but it was a contract.
Senior MVS System/Batch Applications Processing (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 27, 2016
It was a fun place to work. Got lots of experience there and met some good people. Spent lots of time with co-workers due to it was a 7/24 job. Also, we played volley ball together in the summer. which brought us closer together as friends. As a result, it was reflected in our work.
The huge and excellent company
IT Storage Specialist / Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2016
They have an excellent infrastructure and It is a trust company
IBM is a globally integrated enterprise operating in over 170 countries. IBMers around the world bring innovative solutions to a diverse client base to help solve some of their toughest business challenges. In addition to being the world's largest IT and consulting services company, IBM is a global business and technology leader, innovating in research and development to shape the future of society at large
productive and good services
Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 19, 2016
1, Follow up Project progress, dealing with mail inbox and attending regular meeting and planning changes and trouble shootings
2, Learned following process for doing things right
3, Self motivated and proactive planning jobs
4, All my co-workers are very good and collaborate online
5, The most enjoyable part of the job is able to help client keep their network stable and growing as their need.
team building and have some fun with the team
HR Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  philippinesApril 8, 2016
I'm Thankful to IBM, i learn a lot from them.
working places are very comfortable and the management was very suit. i will really miss my work mates.
Pros
free lunch and have some funny with the team going out
Cons
the work was really relax and with high quality of customers services assistances
Enjoyably small work compared to compensation and time allotted to do it.
Deployment Technician (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONMarch 13, 2016
Would prefer to work here again and also trying to join back in after contract ended.

The work is usually small and starts later so its easier to get to, usually left alone to do what you need to and head on home.
Pros
Small work and good hours
Cons
Command Center is very hard to get a hold of
Fast Paced
Remote Administrative Assistant Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 25, 2016
Great job to get your technology field life ball rolling. You could get certified they have all training material on site.
Pros
Great staff, Learn alot and deal with many diffrent issues. from clientel
Cons
Moving up in company is not easy pay rates are not the best however decent.
Declining climate
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2016
Unfortunately the more business IBM is involved in, the less it values its employees. There is no reasonable explanation as to why current valuable employees are being cut, while inexperienced and incompetent staff are given jobs.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
salary, climate
Learning Path
Senior QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 7, 2016
I have been place into project where i grow and gain valuable experience .A typical work environment , Grate team i work with , and have a good relationship with team, Manager whom i work under i learn a lot
Pros
Place you in project where you grow
Cons
Long Hours, No work life balance
Has been a great company
Manager - Application Development and Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 18, 2016
IBM has some very talented professionals working very hard to deliver on their commitments. Unfortunately IBM is losing these same talented people due to changing market share.
Pros
Great learning ground, supportive team
Cons
Not enough growth options
Lab support work as SA
Advisory IT Specialist, IBM Endpoint Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 18, 2016
• Administered Active Directory and Exchange Server including new user accounts and groups
• Deployed updates and patches to Windows Servers via Windows Server Update Services
• Setup and configured MS SQL server
• Managed LAN switches, cabling and end user connectivity
• Keeping inventory of equipment and supplies and ordering when necessary