IBM
6,074 reviews

IBM Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
IBM has lost its touch, slow moving crippled bahemoth
IT Specialist (Web Application Developer) (Current Employee), Halifax, NSJune 18, 2015
Pros

I am currently working for IBM Canada at Halifax location as an IT Specialist. IBM is not what it used to be before. The only pros of IBM now is, its stamp on your resume. That would help you get another better opportunity easier. Some of the other pros I could think of are flexible hours and the 'work from home' policy. But even those policies have some faults. To work form home you will need – more... to get your manager's approval without it you will have to work from office.

Cons

A lot of minus points for IBM Canada here at Halifax. The compensation is very low even though Halifax is one of the most expensive city in whole Canada with 15% tax on everything. The office is over crowded. They don't even have enough cubicals for employees to sit and they are still hiring more resources. The work is repetitive, nothing new to learn. This would get boring for a young guy like me. The management is the worse. They don't even know about the company very well. Not very supportive and not at all interested in employees work or growth. Office location is in a remote area, no food stalls near by. Office doesn't have a canteen either.

Advice to Management

Be open about our situation. Know more about the company it self. Have a two way conversation with your employees. – less
enhanced knowledge regarding shortest distance
data entry operator (Former Employee), Brampton, onJune 16, 2015
i have worked for 12-14 weeks for this project and it was learning experience for me. i have learnt different things like data algorithm and how we can calculate shortest distance from one place to another place without wasting too much time.
excellent work environment, very pleasant team spirit
Senior Delivery Program Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Pros: excellent staff
Cons: different time zones
I worked with global IT clients on a daily basis, the teams I managed were located in Asia, S America, USA and Canada. Our goals was to provide the best IT service at the best cost as outlined in the service contracts
Good for a first job but bad for growth
Software Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 13, 2015
Pros: High starting salary
Cons: Incompetent management, limited salary growth, limited innovation
IBM has a high starting salary for developers ($70K) but it offers very little raise and bonuses (if any) even if you are promoted.

The benefits are okay. They are being reduced year by year though.

The company does not care about employees and its overall prospect the is negative,

Career managers and career executives have run the company to the ground by gaming the books instead of innovating. – more... The company tries to make up for its shortfall by regularly laying off people and cutting benefits/salaries/bonuses - instead of addressing why it is losing market share.

This causes many of the good people (including myself) to leave for greener pastures.

The management in IBM is over-bloated and inefficient. Politics between departments often pose severe obstacles to achieving business results. For instance, if we are to use an IBM product to serve a customer, then that product's department will try to rip us off by charging a premium (because that counts towards their quarterly results)

At other times, we can have departments rejected request of assistance to a customer by citing the request was improperly filed (in this case, it's my department doing it to others).

Job security is low if you are in a department that is not making a lot of money. On the other hand, if you are in a department that has good revenue, then you are also unlikely to be fired even if you are grossly incompetent.

In overall, IBM is a good place for people to start their career because it pays a fair amount for new graduates. It also gives people a taste of a typical corporate culture. However, the stay in the company should not exceed two years. – less
very good experience for an intern
Quality Assurance Test Automation, Co-op (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 8, 2015
Pros: good experience, challenging, work on new technology
Cons: some teams are overloaded with work
As an intern, it was very educational and definitely good company to have in your record tracking (looks good on resume).
The best part is that you get to work on tomorrow's technology and you'd be able to influence the technology industry.
Good environment to work.
Onsite Basel Support coordinator (Current Employee), Steels ,MarkhamJune 7, 2015
I feel IBM is a Good company to work in terms of environment etc. People will love to work with this company. IBM gives better opportunity to the employees.
IBM through Kelly Services - Equifax client
Technical Support/Help Desk (contract) (Former Employee), North York, ONJune 5, 2015
Pros: lunches and building and working through an agency for IBM
Cons: travel time and hours
help desk role answering calls as they come in and routing them to the proper department for solution issues while solving equifax inquiries.

i learned a bit about the equifax procedures regarding requesting information. client or business

management was okay, they never really said anything to the employers regarding performance or anything.

co workers were okay to get along with and easy to learn from

hardest part of the job was finding support with escalations

the lunch room and facility was amazing
A great place to work with lots of access to mentoring and coaching
Cross Brand Solutions Advocate (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible working environment
I worked in a global position which allowed me to work with people from all over the world. I worked with some of the most passionate people in business.
Overall - GOOD
Advisory Project Manager (Current Employee), Markham, ON CanadaJune 3, 2015
Pros: Excellent training sites/programs at IBM
Cons: Too much sections/groups within one unit
Good company to work with. Applied management skills, which I learned from previous employers.
Working environment is FUNtastic...
Came across many excellent resources, who provided me good support in completing my projects in time.
What I learned
Infrastructure Specialist (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJune 1, 2015
Pros: Using skill set from School.
Cons: Working at night requires adjustment
I learned a lot working for IBM in the project division. I enjoyed that I was using the skill set I learned in school and was able to apply my networking and hands on skills in this job.
Would not recommend
Representative (Current Employee), Markham, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Pretty much everything
Mismanaged, no-one really cares, no incentive to do well.

There is no enjoyable part to working here.

I have been on contract for almost 4 years, without any benefits, or raises. I have no job security.

Repeatedly denied attempts to move around in the organization.

No-one does their jobs correctly and everything is pushed to my team to fix.

We literally do everyone else's work on top of our actual responsibilities.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 30, 2015
Work was very challenging and fun.
Co workers were supportive and ready to lend a helping hand when needed.
Promoted education.
the work is demending but very interesting.
IT Advisory Specialist (Former Employee), MontrealMay 27, 2015
Pros: co-workers are easy to work with.
Cons: Long hours (50 to 60 hours per week)
In IT there is no typical day at work. You work on what is the critical problems.
I learned the entire operation of our team.
All co-workers were very hard workers, always doing their best.
The hardest part of the job was working between 50 and 60 hours per week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my Manager and my team members.
Good Work Environment
Senior Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 25, 2015
Pros: High Stress
Cons: Long Hours
Providing technical support can be fun rewarding experience at the time can be very stressful. Continuous learning of the products and new technology is a definite asset. The management can be little more proactive in helping employees with their career goals. The team if people I worked with a diverse, talented and fun to be with. The hardest part of the job is the high stress level having to deal with client when their system is down and resolve the issue ASAP. The most enjoyable part of the job is flexibility with work life balance.
Challenging and interesting environment to work in.
Advanced Support Specialist for Air Canada, (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 25, 2015
Great team to work with. Exposure to wide range of technologies and applications, some very unique to airline industry. Job allowed for daily contact with many customers.
Very good experience
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 18, 2015
Very Good experience working in this project. I have got to learn many things while working for this company and project.
High-pressure, educational, interesting and varied work environment.
Tester (QA), Programmer and Team Lead (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 16, 2015
Pros: Good salary and benefits
Cons: Very long hours, including nights and weekends
Work experiences are very dependent on management. Many managers have poor people-skills, and favoritism is rampant. Evaluations are very result-driven, with individuals often taking credit for work they did not contribute to. Ample opportunity for creativity.
Nice balance between work and personal life
SAP FICO Consultant (Current Employee), DelhiMay 3, 2015
IBM provides a very good work culture along with space for personal life which help in balancing both in a better way.

I have learned a lot at work. I have learn time management, working in a team.
Good to get experience
IT Specialist/ Mobile Application Developer (Current Employee), Bedford, NSMay 1, 2015
But no reward and recognition culture
Hard to understand who to communicate to
poor management staff
.....................................
IBM Canada
DIRECTEUR PRINCIPAL, PROGRAMME (Former Employee), .April 30, 2015
Pros: .
Cons: .
IBM Canada is a great place to work. I had a great team and clients. I would recommend this company to all. Work life balance is available to all employees via working at home

1 2 3 4 5

About IBM

International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), is an information technology (IT) company. s major operations include Global – Read more