IBM Employee Reviews in Canada

Not the company it once was
GTS Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 9, 2016
A large bureaucratic company that lost its way and is now late to the game to transfrom itself - in order to save itself.

Huge focus on shareholder value with little concern for expendable casualties, like employees. They are cutting employees worldwide wiuth little regard for skills, experience or loyalty. Many jobs being sent offshore. The work enviroment is toxic as everyone os looklinmg over their shoulders wondering if they are next.

For a company that used to pride itself on customer and staff focus, this has all been lost.
Pros
Work from home, decent initial salary
Cons
No salary increas, No time or budget for education, Very few true leaders, Cut throat work environment, Constant arbitrary resource actions
Great opportunity for Job/Life balance. Flexible schedule to sometime accomodate long work hours.Impressive set of available technical skills.
Statistical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bromont, QCJune 29, 2016
Working with a group of highly skilled technical people.

Liberty to manage your schedule, even if it does imply putting in long hours

Many occasions to develop useful and diverse skills (project management, technical knowledge/ support is easily available.)

Sometime project develop at a slow pace, but mostly due to ressources constraints.

Definitely the most enjoyable part of the job is to obtain technical results that yield concrete improvments
Pros
Open schedule
Cons
Long hours, rare salary adjustement
Strangled by Process and Controls
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2016
After years of layoffs and cutbacks we're down to staffing levels that cannot suffer more than one sick day. Stress levels are incredibly high. The expectation is always that your name is next on the layoff list, and has been so since well before the recent economic problems.
No cost of living raises. Adjusted for inflation I'm now paid several thousands of dollars a year less than when I was hired.
Basically this company should no longer be thought of as a leader, but rather as an entry level position.
Pros
Work from home! That's about it.
Cons
5 year old, 14" laptop. Culture of treating people as capital.
Productive and Fun, with gym facility
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2016
Empower people inside and outside your organization to connect, collaborate, and innovate. Create a smarter workforce. Deliver exceptional customer experiences. Transform your core business processes to become more competitive and drive real business results.
Pros
Productive and Fun, with gym facility
Cons
Contracts need to be renewed every now and then
Mixed bag experience
Content Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2016
There are so many products and divisions, you have a fair bit of opportunity to try out different things. There are a lot of wonderful and talented people, but they're overworked and, frankly, exploited.
The relatively mediocre pay was compensated for by their flexible work policy, which was recently cancelled.
They have some interesting ideas in how they're going to revitalize the company, but they are not great at execution and too burdened by the pressure to cut costs... constantly.
Pros
lots of talent and products
Cons
slaves to the stock price
Good Company to work with.
SAP Advisory Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 21, 2016
IBM is a good company, has many good clients and one can work at ease.
Learnt lot of new things,
But
It has weird policies, for small things approval from top management is required.
one can't move from one countries IBM to another countries IBM, even if jobs are available.
And there are many more such things.
Pros
Fun Culture, Opportunities to learn
Cons
Can't take decisions
Great place
Software Developer, DB2 Development Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Markham Ontario CanadaMay 17, 2016
Great place to work at.
Excellent atmosphere.
Excellent benefits.
Amazing Colleagues.
Enjoyable work.
We've long been told our ability to succeed depends on our IQ, talent, education level, gender, job title, or when and where we were born. IBM turns that conventional thinking on its head to reveal that innovation can come from anyone, anywhere.
Nice Workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  深圳市April 29, 2016
In IBM, I was responsible to lead a team to perform remote system integration projects. Every project requires us to carefully plan by communicating with our customers. I learned how to effectively manage project schedule and how to guide team members to finish their jobs. In addition, working with technical genius made me to widen my technical viewing and know how to lead a team to proceed project.
IBM is a flexible employer and have great management
FULL TIME ADVISORY TECHNICAL SERVICES PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  3600 Steeles E, MarkhamMay 9, 2016
Jobs in IBM are not secure for local Americans / Canadians in regard to business
In general IBM have migrated jobs to cheap workers in India so local IBM jobs can be a temporary jobs until India workers get the knowledge and after this, local employees can expect to be laid off any time
IBM Review
Senior Voice/Data Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  BramptonApril 13, 2016
Work on Rogers account implementing multiple Voice and data platforms. Troubleshoot outages and involve vendors if required. Work on projects for Rogers 77 sites across Canada. Handle problem management with customer defining root cause for outages.ONcall 24/7 for Rogers platforms.Always learning new technologies on different platforms for a fast growing environment
Pros
Fast paced
Great projects, adequate management
Senior Managing Consultant and Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Abu Dhabi and OttawaAugust 18, 2016
IBM Canada was generally a good company to work for. Project fit in well with my military background

IBM Middle East had serious management and leadership issues. Project was understaffed and under-skilled. Management lacked focus and a solid plan
Great place to be ** IBM **
Incident Analyst/ Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 2, 2016
IBM was a great place to work and learn. The exposure was immense. While I started off taking technical calls initiallyt, my job soon saw many more responsibilities.

I was handling escalations, access requests , updating Knowledge database, handling Change Management and Problem Management.

My peers and management team was very friendly, supportive and always encouraged me to take up new challenges.
Pros
Great team to be a part of
Job that payed the bills.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBAugust 23, 2016
This employment was not the most enjoyable job. I had no chance for growth within the company. There was no challenges for me to advance my skills within the work place. It was a steady job that provided me with Monday-Friday 9-5 employment.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
No Benifits
Great environment for engineers
Technical Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader, SKAugust 16, 2016
IBM is a great company to move forward.Environment,policy and team-playing is really great.

My job was team leader as level 2 technician and we were involved in a project with BMO to deploy their data and stacks.

Strongly recommend all engineers to seek a job there.
IBM is a good place to work
Corporate Citizenship & Organization Change (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2016
Business Processes take up time.
Good training in consulting skills.
Some managers very strong
Many very smart people at IBM -- especially in software area
Too much administration for a professional job
Working with External Clients
Enjoyed working at IBM, but it was a contract.
Senior MVS System/Batch Applications Processing (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 27, 2016
It was a fun place to work. Got lots of experience there and met some good people. Spent lots of time with co-workers due to it was a 7/24 job. Also, we played volley ball together in the summer. which brought us closer together as friends. As a result, it was reflected in our work.
Fast Paced
Remote Administrative Assistant Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 25, 2016
Great job to get your technology field life ball rolling. You could get certified they have all training material on site.
Pros
Great staff, Learn alot and deal with many diffrent issues. from clientel
Cons
Moving up in company is not easy pay rates are not the best however decent.
Great group of people in a large bureaucratic company
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Company lost its "innovation" years ago. convoluted process in doing the simplest of things (expenses, travel, time reporting). Great part about IBM is still the people that work there, even though Canada is treated as the "oops child". No autonomy and everything is driven by the US. Even worse in the West, as decisions are also executed mostly in Toronto. Calgary office is 100% the best office in Canada, but lacks opportunities outside of oil & gas.
Pros
People. Pay.
Cons
1 type of clients. no support for upper upper management (Toronto or New York)
Great Learning and Challenging environment
Lead Consolidation Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 9, 2016
My time at IBM was very beneficial and a great learning experience. However, not working in a head-office environment has many disadvantages such as lack of visibility and possibility of future advancements.
Declining climate
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2016
Unfortunately the more business IBM is involved in, the less it values its employees. There is no reasonable explanation as to why current valuable employees are being cut, while inexperienced and incompetent staff are given jobs.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
salary, climate