IBM Employee Reviews

No loyalty to employee. Would not recommend people to work there.
Senior I/T Specialist and Programmer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 December 2016
Real simple, no loyalty but expect employ to have some.....Would not recommend to anybody to work there. Still have lots of friends working there but all looking for move on before the company breaks them. Co-workers are great to work with but upper management have no more control or minimum control on business direction. Everything moved globally which local business is suffering. And when they say work life balance, just take a look at what they say first... 'work'.
Pros
Cons
Loyalty
Large monolithic company
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 December 2016
Even though IBM appears to be a front runner with technology, the internal processes will get in the way. They are consistently trying to find ways to save the company money to improve the bottom line - including sending work to locations that are less expensive to operate. Employee satisfaction was low. The culture may have changed over the years, but as a large organization with thousands of employees, it is hard to change quickly.
Good management good location competitive pay continuing education
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
I have had a good experience working with IBM for Alberta Health Services. I have nothing negative to say about them until this day,

The management always treated the team with professionalism, respect, fairness, clarity, and with the right amount of fun and laughter.

I look forward in having the same experience with other companies. At the same time, I will always bring this culture with me and influence my new team.

Change is good.
Daily Operations
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  North York, ON11 January 2017
My typical day at work is check my emails about 15 min to see of any tickets or customer issues. Then I check my ticketing queue to see if there is any new tickets. I update my tickets frequently and keep the customer updated that relates to the tickets. I also close and update any changes/tickets that is in my queue.
Pros
Working with different technology is great.
Cons
Sometimes dealing with irate customer.
Nice place to work for
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS8 November 2016
A lot of possibilities, good people, but it looks like the company is not doing financially so well overall.
But every IBM office is different.
There are good benefits, but there is nothing for the employees like no coffee, not milk, not even tea. Need to pay extra for those basic things that you drink.
Pros
They have a good name, for your next job.
Cons
Not a good working environment over all.
Excellent place to work - Poor pay and lack of advancement opportunities.
IT Solution Lead (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 November 2016
Great work life balance. Excellent learning opportunities and support for first line management. However pay is generally below industry average and increases are hard to come by. Basically what you get hired on is likely what you will be earning for the foreseeable future.
Pros
Work Life
Cons
Pay
Large company with benefit of having resources. However, company has not taken employee satisfaction survey results to task.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 November 2016
IBM is a large company that presents both challenges and opportunities. Challenges are getting recognized properly for ones accomplishments whereas the opportunities are related to the large amount of resources at the company's disposal.
Feels like a battle field
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
There is no job security.

Benefits are poor

They constantly hire, then let people go. Its a total disaster on the revolving carousel.

Total loss of focus on the customer. The dollar is most important.

The biggest pro?

Your co-workers, when you are under constant fire, co-workers unit to become a close working group.
Pros
its a paying job
Cons
everything
IBM is a great employer
Application Architect-PI (Former Employee) –  India, UK, Canada15 November 2016
IBM as an organization has lots to offer in terms of opportunities, good work culture and facilities.
It gave me a career to excel and ample opportunities to showcase my skills and talent. The working environment was good and the processes in the company were well thought off.
Pros
Recognition of good work
Cons
Opportunities to diversify
Challenging but enjoyable. Great group to work with.
IT Specialist, Email Administrator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 October 2016
Great position and technically challenging to keep you interested. New opportunities occur but it is hard to have the management approval to move from one position to another. Lots of work, and you must be available 24/7 on a rotational basis. The best part of the job is the challenges and the people you work with.
Work/Life Balance and Job Security was good
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 November 2016
Working from home option for work/life balance was good.
Other than work/life balance and job security (which is no longer there nowadays), advancement is offered rarely and poorly, salary is very poor compared to market, management and job culture is pretty difficult to adapt ever since offshore/onshore model.
Good place, some mismanagement
Project Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
A great place to work, the managers are wonderful and understanding and caring. unfortunately they are letting go of a lot of great people and seem to be keeping some of the stragglers.

hopefully this isn't the end of a great place, and hopefully soon they start hiring full-time non-contract staff.
Pros
work/life balence and management
Cons
job security
Constant management churn and process changes cause unstable environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 September 2016
Spent 7 years in one department under the same manager, then the next 7 years on another team I lost count of the managers, executives, and senior management team - it was like a merry go round. Constant churn meant no ownership, lack of knowledge and expertise, and an unhappy, positive environment to work in. Management is too top heavy and lacked integrity. Cost cutting starts at the bottom, where the work is done. Should be cut from top down where the large paycheques are handed out. Non-management jobs constantly being sent offshore where work ethics are different. Impact of offshoring to business is noticeable, yet IBM sells it to the client as seamless. They don't walk the talk. It became too impersonal and uncaring to work there any longer.
Great place to work at
Infrastructure Program Manager / Sr. PM (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2016
I worked at IBM for over 18 years and I enjoyed my life with IBM. I particularly enjoy the available education and the well established processes in project management. There have been a lot of transformation and changes making it not as enjoyable as it used to be, There are great opportunities to learn (education and certifications) and work with global team s.t. you get to know people from other countries and became friend (not just a colleague)

For internal, there are way too many internal systems and hard to find out how to fix issues when problem occurs in the process due to transformation of resources.
Pros
A lot of processes
Cons
Good education and very flexible
Get lost in the numbers
Systems Technician, Team Lead, Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2016
Great company with a huge brand recognition but not as polished from the inside. Management was usually good but some were horrible. Complete lack of interest from management. Good training
Pros
Get to work with new and interesting technologies
Cons
Just another number at the end of the day.
Good Learning Position
Security and Networks Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON12 December 2016
It was my first job, and I was with a relatively small team. It was good, everyone was nice, but unfortunately a small team doesn't last long in the big machine that is IBM. Always be ready to jump to a new team/position when your old one eventually gets removed.
They do not care about their employees
System Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 January 2017
IBM used to be the greatest place to work but has slowly become the worst place to work. They do not pay well compared to jobs in the industry they also have consistently lost money since 2008 and squeeze that money out of their employees through cuts.
Very well structured organization
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 November 2016
Working for IBM (as for any big corporation) requires particular attitude (ex. making sure that You always apply proper procedure for given task, that You're aware of every new policy and that You confirm to it, ...)
Pros
Working for well known organization
Cons
Not much liberty of decision making
Bilingual Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  IBM Philippines23 December 2016
A place where hardworking people grow really fast especially with the structure put in place. My growth in 4 years has been an amazing journey and the most exciting part of my career.
More shifts every year, no wage increase
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2016
I think ibm is moving away from service. They are moving away from hardware and into more of a admin type of company. Every year less employees and more shifts and overtime.
Pros
Pay was good but didn't keep up with inflation
Cons
company no longer interested in serviceing hardware.