IBM Employee Reviews

IBM best
Asset Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
The best of IBM is the work/Life Balance with the home office style and flexibility to manage you time.
Is also a very organized company, you have procedures to follow and that makes your work a lot better.
The Salary is usually less than the market value but it is worth it because of the flexibility.
Job Security depends on the customers: no customer = no job which is not good, they should find another place for employees being such a big company.
Management is overall excellent, with open doors policy to reach out second line managers if needed.
Job Culture is one of the best I've seen, there is a clear culture and you don't have a doubt about it.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
Salary
Work/Life Balance and Job Security was good
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 November 2016
Working from home option for work/life balance was good.
Other than work/life balance and job security (which is no longer there nowadays), advancement is offered rarely and poorly, salary is very poor compared to market, management and job culture is pretty difficult to adapt ever since offshore/onshore model.
Fun, respectful, balanced place to work
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON7 March 2017
As a team lead, most of my work involves meetings, answering emails, studying problems, reading and writing documents. I choose when I want to have my breaks and lunch which works out well because I work when I most productive and stop when I am tired. The managements is pretty good and capable. The workplace culture is open, open to new ideas, and respectful. The hardest part of the job with a large company like IBM is the admin and the time it gets to get things approved. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people.
Pros
Respect
Cons
Admin
Decent position, but kinda boring
Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 March 2017
I've worked in an IBM office for almost 4 years, and the work environment has not changed. The tasks are the same, the hours are the same, and anything that actually needs doing can be completed in minimal time while still being thorough.

My only beef is that my contractor company isn't big on providing raises. It's been almost 3yrs since my last raise. In simple terms, I work for IBM, but I'm not employed by IBM.
Pros
Guaranteed daytime hours, amazing clients, easy commute
Cons
Not many raises, quiet atmosphere, not very busy
No loyalty to employee. Would not recommend people to work there.
Senior I/T Specialist and Programmer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 December 2016
Real simple, no loyalty but expect employ to have some.....Would not recommend to anybody to work there. Still have lots of friends working there but all looking for move on before the company breaks them. Co-workers are great to work with but upper management have no more control or minimum control on business direction. Everything moved globally which local business is suffering. And when they say work life balance, just take a look at what they say first... 'work'.
Pros
Cons
Loyalty
productive and fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 January 2017
a typical day at work is a straight forward do what you have do and get it done. what I learned is to have fun pay attention and do your job right. workplace culture learn about each culture I think its good for everyone to learn about each culture. the hardest part of the job is looking after your job and your stuff so you don't lose it or you don't mess up and lose your job. the most enjoyable part of the job is being with your employees and working.
Pros
free drinks
Extremely slow and bearocratic
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON20 January 2017
Great for development, but significant lack of work life balance. Management tries to push every last ounce out of you and the roles are draining/boring. Typical hours are 10 hours a day with the odd weekend of work required. Month end/quarter ends require weekend work and typically ~12 hours a day. Many reviews for data consumers with not enough actions coming out of reviews.
Pros
Learning opportunities, smart people
Cons
Extremely long hours
Huge IT Servicing Company
Senior Midrange and Mainframe Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 November 2016
Strong work culture that seeks to be the leader in IT services on a global scale. Hard to become a permanent employee, most jobs are contractual while at IBM.
Pros
compensation rate, benefits, advancement, work culture
Cons
contract jobs
Good management good location competitive pay continuing education
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
I have had a good experience working with IBM for Alberta Health Services. I have nothing negative to say about them until this day,

The management always treated the team with professionalism, respect, fairness, clarity, and with the right amount of fun and laughter.

I look forward in having the same experience with other companies. At the same time, I will always bring this culture with me and influence my new team.

Change is good.
Feels like a battle field
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
There is no job security.

Benefits are poor

They constantly hire, then let people go. Its a total disaster on the revolving carousel.

Total loss of focus on the customer. The dollar is most important.

The biggest pro?

Your co-workers, when you are under constant fire, co-workers unit to become a close working group.
Pros
its a paying job
Cons
everything
IBM is a great employer
Application Architect-PI (Former Employee) –  India, UK, Canada15 November 2016
IBM as an organization has lots to offer in terms of opportunities, good work culture and facilities.
It gave me a career to excel and ample opportunities to showcase my skills and talent. The working environment was good and the processes in the company were well thought off.
Pros
Recognition of good work
Cons
Opportunities to diversify
Great opportunity for Job/Life balance. Flexible schedule to sometime accomodate long work hours.Impressive set of available technical skills.
Statistical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bromont, QC29 June 2016
Working with a group of highly skilled technical people.

Liberty to manage your schedule, even if it does imply putting in long hours

Many occasions to develop useful and diverse skills (project management, technical knowledge/ support is easily available.)

Sometime project develop at a slow pace, but mostly due to ressources constraints.

Definitely the most enjoyable part of the job is to obtain technical results that yield concrete improvments
Pros
Open schedule
Cons
Long hours, rare salary adjustement
Excellent place to work - Poor pay and lack of advancement opportunities.
IT Solution Lead (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 November 2016
Great work life balance. Excellent learning opportunities and support for first line management. However pay is generally below industry average and increases are hard to come by. Basically what you get hired on is likely what you will be earning for the foreseeable future.
Pros
Work Life
Cons
Pay
Opportunity to gain experience around the world!!!
Learning & Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
• Provided advice to project managers and team leads regarding the content and design of the proposed training course to ensure learning goals were met
• Collaborated with extended teams (vendors, subcontractors, business and alliance partners, customers and IBM employees from other functional areas) to support custom content management
• Provided direction and project management to extended team in order to ensure the quality of the deliverables and that deadlines for the training event were met
• Deliver professional presentations to clients in class and/or remotely via Webex webinars
• Participated in projects for Ontario Government (IFIS), Bell ExpressVu, Marsh, IBM Canada (internal), Sprint, Sun Life Financials, MDS, & Staples
• Assigned various roles i.e. business process analyst, facilitator, technical writer, project control officer (PCO), and course developer
Awesome Environmet & Great People To Work With
L1 Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON22 January 2017
Awesome Environmet & Great People To Work With. A typical day at work primarily consists of troubleshooting hardware and software issues for clients remotely, and handling escalations if need be. Other responsibilities include making daily reports regarding customer satisfaction and following up if necessary. Everyone is extremely helpful to one another, and everyone has something unique they can contribute to the corporate environment. The management is extremely accommodating when it comes to scheduling and/or leaves for the employees. The hardest part of the job is when you're a new employee and you're about to take your very first call, but that is also what makes it the most enjoyable since there is always something new to learn every single day with potentially every client you come across with.
Pros
flexible hours, ability to work remotely, excellent training and management
Cons
low pay
Strangled by Process and Controls
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
After years of layoffs and cutbacks we're down to staffing levels that cannot suffer more than one sick day. Stress levels are incredibly high. The expectation is always that your name is next on the layoff list, and has been so since well before the recent economic problems.
No cost of living raises. Adjusted for inflation I'm now paid several thousands of dollars a year less than when I was hired.
Basically this company should no longer be thought of as a leader, but rather as an entry level position.
Pros
Work from home! That's about it.
Cons
5 year old, 14" laptop. Culture of treating people as capital.
IBM was a great place to work for until about a couple of years ago
SENIOR TECHNICAL SOLUTIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON22 August 2016
IBM was a great organization to work for as I have learned a great deal over the 19 years I've worked there. It provided me with both job challenges and rewards until changes within upper management and their strategic goals and direction. Their strategic goals/direction resulted in organizational restructuring; hence layoffs spanning over a few years.

The job of a Technical Solutions Manager (TSM) can be challenging as it involves working on both RFS' for existing clients and "new logo" deals. New logo deals are considered potential new clients that are not currently part of IBM portfolio. We're competing with other vendors and bidding on the opportunities; hence working on aggressive timelines and cost is a major factor in winning the deal.

I've spent working on a solution at 3am with the IBM project executive scrubbing the cost case to a price point to win the deal.
Pros
Mobility - ability to work at home and any IBM mobility facility
Cons
Long hours when working on deals including weekends
Flexible work env
IT Specialist (Team lead) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
Nice to work with. Flexible work culture. Very less salary. Job security very minimum. Very good learning exp. Lot of certification programs. Good exposure.
Good place, some mismanagement
Project Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
A great place to work, the managers are wonderful and understanding and caring. unfortunately they are letting go of a lot of great people and seem to be keeping some of the stragglers.

hopefully this isn't the end of a great place, and hopefully soon they start hiring full-time non-contract staff.
Pros
work/life balence and management
Cons
job security
Fantastic support of staff. I loved working there.
Correspondence Secretary, Intellectual Property (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2017
I feel very fortunate to have started my career with such a stellar company. IBM was very good to me. I resigned when my second child was born, because my husband and I decided it was more important for mom to be at home until the children started school. I don't regret our decision one bit. One cannot get that time back, and I feel it really helped my children that I was at home with them. But in a perfect world I would have loved to return to IBM once the children were in school all day.
Pros
We were treated so, so well