Are you a student of the world?
Are you ready to build your career, not just your résumé?
Do you think the world can work smarter?
IBM is looking for people to work alongside the best and brightest minds in the world to build a smarter planet.
The following STUDENT position is a part of IBM Canada's Extreme Blue Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 3 years of their undergraduate degree or diploma program or who are pursuing a graduate program.
This Student Position resides in Ottawa and is a 16 week work term.
The Extreme Blue™ program is IBM's premier internship program for top-notch students pursuing software development and MBA degrees.
Once selected into the program, you will become part of a team working in one of the 15 Extreme Blue labs worldwide. Your team's challenge is to develop the technology and business plan for a new product or service that addresses an existing market challenge.
Through the program, interns have submitted more than 400 patent disclosures and have made more than sixty open source contributions to the open source community. They helped create solutions for key clients and bring-to-market the next generation of IBM products. Not bad for just 16 weeks of work.
Unlike other intern programs that may relegate you to work on outdated technology, the Extreme Blue teams work on leading technology that helps grow your skills and evolve you into a more attractive candidate in the technology field. Interns in this high-performance environment get to roll up their sleeves and work with "hot" technologies such as Cloud Computing, Web 2.0, and petabyte-scale data analysis.
Main Responsibilities include:
Working alongside 2 other technical interns and an MBA student, you’ll be designing and implementing an end-to-end solution in the Social Media Analytics space. The project involves an aggressive timeline built around agile development practices where the team is expected to demo and present a functional slice of the final product in 2-week sprints.
The role will see the successful candidate:
- Gather requirements from product management and develop use cases.
- Design the solution. This involves: User interface, API, data processing and analytics.
- Research and explore statistical/regression models.
- Develop an evolutionary prototype that can be shipped within the upcoming product release timeframe.
- Collaborate with mentors and the MBA student to plan work tasks (agile software development processes and techniques).
- Collaborate across various IBM teams worldwide.
- Contribute to the development of a project presentation/demo and pitch your work to IBM executives.
- Discover patentable work and file for patents.
The Extreme Blue team will work closely with the IBM Social Media Analytics team. Social media analytics allow for uncovering customer sentiment dispersed across countless online sources. As businesses feel the pressure to gain new insights from social media, they require the analytics expertise to transform this flood of information into actionable strategies. IBM solutions for social media analytics help organizations take control of this data so they can improve customer satisfaction, identify patterns and trends, and make smarter decisions regarding marketing campaigns.
- Java development
- User interface design, specialization in UX is an asset (work experience or enrolled in a graduate program in this field)
- Knowledge of text analysis or natural language processing is an asset (work experience or enrolled in a graduate program in this field)
- Knowledge of statistical regression models is an asset
- Strong knowledge of REST protocol
- Object-oriented design and programming
- Knowledge of Eclipse is an asset
- Experience with both Windows and Linux platforms is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Time management skills and dedication to project success
- Works well with others and is a team player
WHAT IBM OFFERS YOU:
1. Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
2. Work is challenging and rewarding
3. Access to obtain IBM Product Certification during work term
4. Competitive pay
5. Potential for a career at IBM after graduation
6. Future Blue - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
High School Diploma/GED