Hydro One Employee Reviews

Good work culture with availability of on-site perks and benefits
Executive Assistant to the Vice President (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 October 2016
A well-rounded and diverse workplace, very professional atmosphere. Training and career support available. On-site perks and benefits include staffed cafeteria, on-site gym, good work environment.
Pros
Diversity in staffing, cross-departmental opportunities, cafeteria and gym on-site
Cons
Works under the Hydro One Networks Inc. umbrella - many job opportunities not on-site.
Exciting place to work.
Electrical Systems Operator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 November 2016
Great learning environment, with many opportunities to gain and share knowledge. Excellent co-workers.Currently work shift work and enjoy it.
Productive workplace, stress free
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 April 2016
Not very stressful, good benefits and salary, very relaxing environment which made everyone productive. Co-workers were very kind and helpful
Great work environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2016
Hydro One is a great place to work, great core values, focus on the employees and safety. I thoroughly enjoy working here.
Hydro One the Learning Experience
Protection and Control Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Utopia, ON22 April 2016
I was with Hydro One in their Protection and Control Department for my final 2 co-operative work terms. They truly embraced the idea of learning while working and ensured that I was involved in as many projects as possible to give me as wide a view of their typical work days as possible. It was an incredible learning experience.
Supportive Management
AMI Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2015
The management at the Smart Meter and Network Operations Department where very supportive of innovation, which helped to enhance my performance.

While going about my assigned duties, I often noticed areas of improvement in work processes. I proceeded to develop software to meet these needs and demonstrated them to my superiors. They were supportive in that they accepted it and offered suggestions on added functionality that will make the tool more useful for the team.

This was the nature of my work experience at hydro which made it more interesting. I was given the liberty to identify problems and proceed to fix them and report to my superiors.
Pros
Supportive management, good pay
Cons
Aside from the tools I developed, my assigned duties could be repititive
Great place to work, get to travel lots
Electrical Forestry Laborer (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON8 June 2016
cutting brush, chipping brush, spraying chemicals, flying in helicopters to commute. Get to see the whole province of Ontario and lots of wild life.
Horrible Culture
University Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2013
Working there was equivalent to someone sucking my soul. Yes the money is BEYOND amazing but there is no ownership, no drive, no morels in that place. Within the first month of working there I experienced more HR issues than I have ever experienced in my entire life. If you aren't a white male, good luck. Which is rather amusing since their ex CEO was a strong driven female.
Pros
Great money, job security (no one ever gets fired), great location
Cons
Culture, Union enviroment, boys club
Great workplace, would love to work there again
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON5 April 2016
organized and friendly work environment, my favorite job that I have had by far. In-depth training and an eye for safety on the job site at all times
Pros
Great people, great pay
Cons
travelling may be required
Able to share ideas. Good workplace environment
Stations Sustainment Department Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2012
A typical day of work requires creating ideas that will further enhance the efficiency of the Hydro One stations. I have learned about power systems concepts and transmission network knowledge. Co-workers are very helpful and accommodating. Hardest part of the job is getting to extract all the information from different departments. The most enjoyable part is knowing the ideas are getting implemented and considered to better the Hydro One management of stations.
Pros
good benefits and salary. able to address ideas
Cons
can be hard to get information as there is a huge database
Hydro One
Hydro One Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 April 2012
This was a good experience overall, Although lurking in the back of my mind was always that the maximum time that I am allowed to be employed here was 2 years. I was orginally hired for a 6 mnth contract, however was renewed several times. During my 2 years, I was promoted from my base customer service position, to handling only contractor requests. This promotion was offered only to myself out of all of the contract employees, so I must have been doing something right :)
Pros
the compensation/pay was amazing.
Cons
it was a possibility to lose my job at anytime
Good Pay, Good Benifits, Good pensions, not a good place to advance
Asset Management Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2014
-Good Place to do a Coop placement
-And to do contract work near the end of your career
Pros
Pay, Benifits, Unionized
Cons
Unionized, corporate culture
Great work environment
ADET Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON4 October 2015
Co-workers eager to tech and pass on the knowledge. Job had lots of variety. The freedom to work in the office as well as on site of the project. Management is supportive and understanding.
Productive work environment with a great group of guys
Planning (Former Employee) –  ON24 April 2015
A typical day at work would include
- Arriving early in morning
- Talking to coworkers about there night/weekend
- Completing daily monotonous jobs
- management was really nice, easy to get along with, but some management did not know exactly what their job was
- Almost all coworkers were easy to get along with and willing to help you out
- Hardest part of the job was sitting at a desk with no work to do
- Most enjoyable part was when you were given a real job with a deadline
Pros
great hours, great people, great pay
Cons
boring, very monotonous
Project Management Intern
Project Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2015
As a Project Manager Intern, I had the opportunity to help manage several large-budget transmission and switching stations projects, providing me with the challenge to execute crucial roles by tight scheduled deadlines and ensuring that communication among all teams was clear and up to date. My tasks included attending and leading meetings by either driving or flying to sites or holding them in conference rooms over phone, performing thorough material status checks and creating an organized schedule to keep myself on track, all of which required thorough pre-planning. I also worked simultaneously in the process management sector to keep myself busy and learn about how the information gathered was processed.

The co-workers were very helpful when I required assistance or needed to offload a task. The environment was a bit slow paced but taking on more work allowed me to keep busy whilst also learning more. The freedom to talk to anyone and learn about what projects they work on was the most enjoyable part of the job. Additionally, being allowed to work on different projects and with different teams kept the work interesting.
Pros
Freedom to choose additional work, short hours, great pay, vacation time, pension contribution
Cons
Slow paced, frequent management changes, aging mindset
Fantastic coworkers with high priority on safety
ADET Co-op (Former Employee) –  Perth, ON26 August 2015
Being a Co-op, I got to tag along on a large variety of jobs. My typical day would include helping to prepare layouts for a variety of connections/upgrades/maintenance issues. There is a lot of information gathering so that you can do any and all needed calculations. The was a lot of computer use as well, using Microsoft Word/Excel and ArcMaps. Almost every job had some interaction with either a customer or contractor. The job variety was fantastic and prevented monotony. The people I worked with were great; always taking the work seriously, but having a fun and relaxing atmosphere to work in. Every step of the way, Safety was encouraged. We are taught that there is no job so important that it can't be done safely.
Pros
Cons
Bad (media driven) public image
very good company to work with
Senior Project Manger (Former Employee) –  toronto, on28 November 2012
i worked for three years and learned a lot. The work life balance is very good. The work culture is very nice and people are very friendly.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 November 2015
Really enjoyed my time there but there definitely was some days when the pressure was very high. They have a great team environment and they love pot luck lunches.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Contract work
Great company
Sr. System Analyst / Programmer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON21 September 2013
- Great work environment suitable for anyone.
- Diverse culture and kind colleague.

I would recommend this company to a friend. I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company.
Good workplace and well paid
Junior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2012
Having said that, it really depends on which department and where you will be working. As far as I can see, some positons are extremely busy while some are just normal works. I would say it is a secure job that once you are in, you are not likely out. And in contrast, I do not see much advancement oppotunities.

4.6