Hydro One Employee Reviews

Good work culture with availability of on-site perks and benefits
Executive Assistant to the Vice President (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 October 2016
A well-rounded and diverse workplace, very professional atmosphere. Training and career support available. On-site perks and benefits include staffed cafeteria, on-site gym, good work environment.
Pros
Diversity in staffing, cross-departmental opportunities, cafeteria and gym on-site
Cons
Works under the Hydro One Networks Inc. umbrella - many job opportunities not on-site.
good company
Electrician Foreman (Former Employee) –  Ontario11 January 2017
Good company for steady work,Culture is challenging at times when trying to complete work in a timely fashion,great for safety .
training is top notch.
work in all weather conditions.
Advancement is difficult ,friends ,family and favorites culture
Safety First
General Labourer & Health and Safety Rep (Former Employee) –  Ontario South West13 February 2017
To be safe and aware of hazards in the working area. Daily tailboards, outlining daily tasks and procedures that are to be implemented. Constant training making concious and better workers.
Hydro One
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 March 2017
Overall good workplace with many actively engaged employees. Great opportunity for Engineering graduates looking to start off their careers, lots of training provided.
Awesome place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON3 January 2017
I sprayed chemicals under the Hydro One lines under the forestry division. Great people to work with. Sometimes taking a helicopter to remote locations was a necessity
Exciting place to work.
Electrical Systems Operator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 November 2016
Great learning environment, with many opportunities to gain and share knowledge. Excellent co-workers.Currently work shift work and enjoy it.
Hydro One the Learning Experience
Protection and Control Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Utopia, ON22 April 2016
I was with Hydro One in their Protection and Control Department for my final 2 co-operative work terms. They truly embraced the idea of learning while working and ensured that I was involved in as many projects as possible to give me as wide a view of their typical work days as possible. It was an incredible learning experience.
Great place to work, get to travel lots
Electrical Forestry Laborer (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON8 June 2016
cutting brush, chipping brush, spraying chemicals, flying in helicopters to commute. Get to see the whole province of Ontario and lots of wild life.
Great work environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2016
Hydro One is a great place to work, great core values, focus on the employees and safety. I thoroughly enjoy working here.
Great workplace, would love to work there again
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON5 April 2016
organized and friendly work environment, my favorite job that I have had by far. In-depth training and an eye for safety on the job site at all times
Pros
Great people, great pay
Cons
travelling may be required
Productive workplace, stress free
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 April 2016
Not very stressful, good benefits and salary, very relaxing environment which made everyone productive. Co-workers were very kind and helpful
Supportive Management
AMI Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2015
The management at the Smart Meter and Network Operations Department where very supportive of innovation, which helped to enhance my performance.

While going about my assigned duties, I often noticed areas of improvement in work processes. I proceeded to develop software to meet these needs and demonstrated them to my superiors. They were supportive in that they accepted it and offered suggestions on added functionality that will make the tool more useful for the team.

This was the nature of my work experience at hydro which made it more interesting. I was given the liberty to identify problems and proceed to fix them and report to my superiors.
Pros
Supportive management, good pay
Cons
Aside from the tools I developed, my assigned duties could be repititive
Fantastic coworkers with high priority on safety
ADET Co-op (Former Employee) –  Perth, ON26 August 2015
Being a Co-op, I got to tag along on a large variety of jobs. My typical day would include helping to prepare layouts for a variety of connections/upgrades/maintenance issues. There is a lot of information gathering so that you can do any and all needed calculations. The was a lot of computer use as well, using Microsoft Word/Excel and ArcMaps. Almost every job had some interaction with either a customer or contractor. The job variety was fantastic and prevented monotony. The people I worked with were great; always taking the work seriously, but having a fun and relaxing atmosphere to work in. Every step of the way, Safety was encouraged. We are taught that there is no job so important that it can't be done safely.
Pros
Cons
Bad (media driven) public image
Productive work environment with a great group of guys
Planning (Former Employee) –  ON24 April 2015
A typical day at work would include
- Arriving early in morning
- Talking to coworkers about there night/weekend
- Completing daily monotonous jobs
- management was really nice, easy to get along with, but some management did not know exactly what their job was
- Almost all coworkers were easy to get along with and willing to help you out
- Hardest part of the job was sitting at a desk with no work to do
- Most enjoyable part was when you were given a real job with a deadline
Pros
great hours, great people, great pay
Cons
boring, very monotonous
Very fast paced but supportive Environment
Customer Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham26 July 2015
The company is great and lot of things to learn and grow.
A typical day is do the regular work in the morning basically reporting like new trends and stuff like that. Team work is very important. Learned about different line of Business.

Importance of Empathy in CS
Pros
Flexible Timings
Cons
Monotonous
Interesting place to work
Energy Auditor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 January 2015
As the job I was suppose to do as an Energy Auditor, I had to got to various companies for auditing that included travel, that made the job more interesting. The co-workers and the people from other departments, all were very helpful and co-operative. There were many events held by the company relating to the Energy Saving for both business and commercial purposes which gave us the benefit of talking to people, listening to there problems and providing a solution.
Hydro One
Hydro One Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 April 2012
This was a good experience overall, Although lurking in the back of my mind was always that the maximum time that I am allowed to be employed here was 2 years. I was orginally hired for a 6 mnth contract, however was renewed several times. During my 2 years, I was promoted from my base customer service position, to handling only contractor requests. This promotion was offered only to myself out of all of the contract employees, so I must have been doing something right :)
Pros
the compensation/pay was amazing.
Cons
it was a possibility to lose my job at anytime
Able to share ideas. Good workplace environment
Stations Sustainment Department Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2012
A typical day of work requires creating ideas that will further enhance the efficiency of the Hydro One stations. I have learned about power systems concepts and transmission network knowledge. Co-workers are very helpful and accommodating. Hardest part of the job is getting to extract all the information from different departments. The most enjoyable part is knowing the ideas are getting implemented and considered to better the Hydro One management of stations.
Pros
good benefits and salary. able to address ideas
Cons
can be hard to get information as there is a huge database
Horrible Culture
University Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2013
Working there was equivalent to someone sucking my soul. Yes the money is BEYOND amazing but there is no ownership, no drive, no morels in that place. Within the first month of working there I experienced more HR issues than I have ever experienced in my entire life. If you aren't a white male, good luck. Which is rather amusing since their ex CEO was a strong driven female.
Pros
Great money, job security (no one ever gets fired), great location
Cons
Culture, Union enviroment, boys club
Protection and Control
Protection & Control Technologist (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 September 2013
Collect/Process NOEA data
Participate in the design, installation, and maintenance of protection systems
Interact & coordinate with various work groups and contractors
Thoroughly updated and maintained all applicable prints
Preparing job plans to ensure a safe work environment for myself & co-workers
Exposure to SCADA and RTU units
Access protection relays using various software applications (SAP, GE & SEL)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hydro One. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6