Hydor-Tech Limited (HTL) has a career opportunity available for a Research / Product Development Chemist at our chemical manufacturing facility in Edmonton, Alberta. Reporting to the Business Development Manager, this is a newly created position for a motivated, self-directed individual that wants the opportunity to develop new products to optimize our customers’ processes while expanding our product line. The position will have you formulating various industrial products with different coagulant/polymer backbones in addition to developing other additives. Mechanical aptitude and process knowledge is required to take the newly developed product from the lab into the plant for commercialization.
- New product development and testing.
- Develops formulas, processes and production techniques, and methods for product analysis and testing.
- Conducts research to develop new chemical formulations and processes and devise new technical applications of industrial chemicals and compounds.
- Researches new chemistries and spends substantial time in the laboratory at our plant and at the customers’ labs creating new products.
- Participates in interdisciplinary research and development projects working with other professionals in the field from universities, research organizations and/or others.
- Conducts routine testing and product evaluations such as jar testing, BOD, COD, turbidity at our customer sites.
- Records and maintains data.
- Develops testing methodology, documents procedures and writes lab reports.
- Provides technical support of the developed product range and resolves technical issues for the end user, problems related to raw materials, and the manufacturing processes.
- Selection / optimization of raw materials.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment.
- Maintains a high level of quality, organizational and cleanliness standards.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, comfortable working as part of a demanding team of professionals.
- Able to communicate ideas clearly, understand scientific concepts and complete tasks with minimum supervision.
- Self-starter/self-directed with high energy and passion.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation skills.
- Well organized and detailed with strong analytical skills.
- Willingness to learn.
- Excellent team player.
- Computer literate with excellent computer skills including extensive knowledge of MS Office.
- An in-depth knowledge of various chemicals and their application in water treatment – potable and wastewater in municipal, pulp and paper, mining, oil and gas applications.
- Knowledge of WHMIS and other safety-related principles.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry and/or equivalent industry experience may be considered. Master’s degree or Chemical Engineering is an asset.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a chemicals product development / research and development environment.
- Experience working in inorganic and organic coagulants, polymers, and other additives.
Location and Travel
- The position of Product Development Chemist will be located in Edmonton, Alberta and may include up to 50% overnight travel.
About Hydor-Tech Limited
Hydor-Tech Limited, part of the PIC Group of Companies, is a thriving company that manufactures aluminum based inorganic coagulants for water treatment in municipal and industrial applications out of our Edmonton Plant. We work with a number of National and Global Distributors who provide innovative solutions to Municipalities (potable and wastewater), Pulp and Paper, Oil and Gas and Mining. HTL also provides custom and toll manufacturing products for companies that require our expertise and infrastructure.
We offer a dynamic, team-oriented working environment with a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Please quote this job title – HTL Research / Product Development Chemist in the subject line and email your resume and cover letter by Monday, October 28, 2013 to:
Business Development Manager / Sales
Hydor-Tech Limited (HTL)
2023 Kingsway Avenue
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia
For more information, please visit the website at: www.hydor-tech.com.
We thank all those that expressed an interest in this position and submitted a resume however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.