Hyatt Employee Reviews

server
Banquet server and bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2015
banquet server and bartender for the Hyatt Regency Calgary. it is a great opportunity to learn and stuff. Love to work there
Fun
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2015
The people are the best part of my job. The benefits are great, and the customers are great too. Some of the cons include having to deal with theft a lot (as there are a lot of homeless people in the area who try to steal your merchandise and your tips), and the repetitiveness.
Pros
free food
Cons
repetitive
Steward -kitchen
Food and Beverage Steward (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2015
Great management with career advancement. Best co-workers with lifetime friendships.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
good situation customer service representative absolutly in high ranking ability
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2015
Ability and performance works in duties has been proven. Increased knowledge of serving customers. Dealing with people work together as a team. Dealing co-workers as a team. Some are slow times working hours. Is to promote satisfaction of customers.
Pros
Good high salary obtain.
Cons
Making some false move give you hindrance of duty.
Great pay but soul sucking job
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2015
I have worked in many hotels asa banquet server and even tough this was the second highest paying one I could not stay there for very long.

The pros:
*Amazing free food in the cafeteria
*Great benefits
*Free stays and discounted prices at other Hyatt properties around the world

The Cons:
*They follow everything by the book- For example: You get a certain amount of sick days for the year. I ended up using all of mine at once because I was in the hospital. I had unexpected surgery. I called in to work with sufficient notice and brought a letter. I was remediated on paper for going over my sick days. I had not called in sick the rest of the year.
Another example: All food and beverage needs to be in the rooms 15 minutes before the scheduled time on the contract. I was in the elevator putting cookies in a room when the elevator broke. I radioed the manager and told them they had to get someone else to bring cookies to the room because i was stuck in the service elevator. I was written up for not having cookies in the room on time even though when i radioed the manager it was still 25 minutes before the scheduled time.
*Everyone on the management team treats you like you are a number and you do not matter. They are taught to intentionally have that distinctive separation between server and manager.
*I have seen other staff disappear and go to the mall for 5 hours during a shift and the management team does not notice because they are in the office the entire time.
*No room for advancement. It was made clear that they like to hire from the outside and not promote
  more... from within.

Overall, I would not recommend this employer to anyone looking for a banquet job. I have literally worked for banquet positions that pay me half of what i was getting paid at the hyatt and i was happier.
Pros
Great pay, Free lunches
Cons
You are nothing to the company but a number
it is what you make it
security officer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CA14 October 2014
I worked for hrlb for about 6 years... It is a company you can grow with if you know the right people and suck up, there are definitely favorites. I was lucky to be in a dept where the boss had our best interest in mind. Always worked his best to accommodate our schedules. Weekends were busy so hard to get those off though. Best part was comp rooms across the globe, wonderful perk!! Pay was pretty poor if you were a line employee, minimum raises were standard.
Pros
comp rooms!! free lunch. really great people i worked with
Cons
worked weekends almost always, pay was low in certain depts, understaffed, some mngt clueless and disconnected from line staff
Good work but hard hours
Room attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2014
Though this job has an excellent starter pay, with benefits coming in after 3 months, its tough being a new employee here. I have so far gotten just graveyard shifts due to seniority. There are too many people working here for there to be enough hours during the day, or even after September. You will need a part time job on the side, even if they promise you "regular work".
Pros
snacks, cheap cafeteria, nice people
Cons
late hours, hard work
Average Day
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2014
A typical day includes going out of your way on your own time to make connections with local restaurants and business. To generate interest in them with guest who come seeking advice on what to do and where to go.

I have learned that if you want to make something happen you need to work hard and make sacrifices in life to get to where you want to be.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Salary
Overall
Hotel Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2014
The Hyatt opens doors for their employees and provides a fun, educational and bright work place.
great business model and career growth
General Maintenance II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 July 2014
great place to learn and with it being a 5 diamond property the training was very helpful in learning for the hospitality business.
Great
Banquet Chef (Former Employee) –  Calgary23 May 2014
Great company to work with.
Great exposure.
Great Benefits.
Great advancement opportunity.
A great learning curb.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 April 2014
Great environment and great team. Learned a lot and growing into management skill was a bonus. The hardest part of the job is not getting to grow in the company because of unfortunate reasons due of lack professionalism on the new management. I enjoyed all my team and everyone i dealt with.
Pros
It was a steady work.
Cons
Flexible workplace with learning opportunities
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2014
-Taking charge of all the maintenance and operations of the shift

- Ensure safety and smooth operation of all electro-mechanical systems

- Managers are very co-operative and responsible
Grand Hyatt is a fun because of multi-cultural co workers, and the training they provide
Chef De Partie (Former Employee) –  United Arab Emirates16 January 2014
Grand Hyatt is a busy Hotel with more than 500 rooms and more than 100 villas, 14 restaurant and a room service.It's all day work most of the time especially on peak season. Management are well focus and schedules training for development more often.Co-workers cooperates well and work as a team. The hardest part of the job is when you have to adopt and respect Muslim culture, where-in you need to have a separate cookwares for Muslim and non Muslim and even Hindus. The most enjoyable part of job is when busy time,is also a fun time as you need to interact with the guest especially if there is big event like October fest,GM's conference and the likes.
Pros
daily free meal breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons
maximul 12 hours work when it's busy
nice
Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 December 2013
nice people, very good attitude. I do not know about salary as i have been there onb my unpaid internship
delicious food
waitress (Former Employee) –  Dunnville, ON20 November 2013
working 8 hours a week isn't enough to pay bills, loved the people I worked with and work was always fun but I would have this as a side job
Pros
good food
Cons
not enough hours
Customer Service
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 October 2013
A typical day at work is, I log onto my computer station, then get my cash float. I begin the morning check list. Checking the arrivals and departures for the day. I check the occupancy and begin taking the prepayments. I will block the airlines, and start the vip arrivals. Everyday is a new different day at the hotel. I love working with all my co-workers and my managers. Sometimes it can be a bit demanding when there's a sold out day, and we have early arrivals. But there is always support to help the staff and customers.
Pros
Comp hotel nights
Cons
I work on holidays, sometimes
Working at a place that makes different types of amazing sweets
Baker (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 September 2013
A typical day at work would be to come into work and be ready to be told what to do. A co-worker would give me something to do on the list, if its gathering ingredients or actually making the product, I will start on it.

I have learn a lot about baking and when I make mistakes, I learn why the product turn out to not be what I have expected. I have learn what it is like to work in a Kosher Kitchen. It is very important to wash any kinds of fruits and to check eggs for blood and that no dairy is involved. I also have learned how to make a ton of things.

Management is great at Park Hyatt. Everyone makes a list of what needs to be done for events or banquet orders, meets up for meeting to see if there are any changes to be made before the event and makes the product just in time for the event.

Most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to make small treats like cake pops, creme brulee, macaroons, mini lemon meringue pies, little beautiful pastries that I can create with my hands, especially cinnamon apple rose tarts which is very time consuming when producting alot but I enjoy making each and every one of the tarts with a perfect apple rose.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
When making something really time consuming
Had a good experience and learned alot
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2013
Underpaid and over worked. Management was not keeping up with Salaries in other field and lost a lot of employees as a result.
Pros
Discount on cars and service
Amazing Hotel
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2013
Good Hotel

Typical day is alot of guest at the hotel and a lot of beds to clean. Such a beautiful hotel.
Pros
Good Staff
Cons
Lon