Hyatt Employee Reviews

Large hotel chain
HYATT REGENCY VIP CONCIERGE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 July 2015
I enjoyed my time working for our special guests with a good team of coworkers and a fun environment with good benefits. I enjoyed my time at the Hyatt.
Had a good atmosphere until Auto Canada bought it.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2015
A typical day was spent trying to sell cars. work the phones and learn the brand and competitors. unfortunately the economy right now has caused this workplace to become quite strict and unforgiving. The bosses were great but Auto Canada supports the typical Sales motivation of the first one to the customer makes the sale. The bosses were quite understanding and pushed for success.
Pros
Great crew that sticks together
Cons
Corporate feel diminishes success rate of sales staff.
Fun enviroment
Convention Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2015
A lot of room to advance except it takes a long time to acquire such. Needs a better scheduling system as everything is scheduled in seniority which is kind of horrible. You won't get any hours (hardly) if you're at the bottom of the hires.
best work place
Housekeeping Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  calgary ab25 April 2015
nice place to work easy to deal with the management and good benefits fair salary and free lunch and staff are friendly in all department.
Pros
free meal
Cons
8 hours
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2015
Nice cars good people good owners its too bad autocanada took it over. I would recommend this company as an employer but not autocanada
Pros
Fun place to work, good people
Cons
AutoCan
Excellent people, good working envionment
Assistant Director Of Finance (Former Employee) –  Toronto16 March 2015
Excellent team, learn a lot from my direct report (Controller). Prepared myself for Controller. Difficult commute daily with traffic
Pros
fast paced working environment
Cons
Long commute
Good place to work.
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2015
They pay well and it genuinely feels like they care about their employees. The staff all get along very well and work well as a team.
Pros
Free Lunch on Saturdays. Excellent pay, good people.
Cons
A lot of downtime due to lack of traffic
server
Banquet server and bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2015
banquet server and bartender for the Hyatt Regency Calgary. it is a great opportunity to learn and stuff. Love to work there
Fun
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2015
The people are the best part of my job. The benefits are great, and the customers are great too. Some of the cons include having to deal with theft a lot (as there are a lot of homeless people in the area who try to steal your merchandise and your tips), and the repetitiveness.
Pros
free food
Cons
repetitive
Steward -kitchen
Food and Beverage Steward (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2015
Great management with career advancement. Best co-workers with lifetime friendships.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
good situation customer service representative absolutly in high ranking ability
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2015
Ability and performance works in duties has been proven. Increased knowledge of serving customers. Dealing with people work together as a team. Dealing co-workers as a team. Some are slow times working hours. Is to promote satisfaction of customers.
Pros
Good high salary obtain.
Cons
Making some false move give you hindrance of duty.
Great pay but soul sucking job
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2015
I have worked in many hotels asa banquet server and even tough this was the second highest paying one I could not stay there for very long.

The pros:
*Amazing free food in the cafeteria
*Great benefits
*Free stays and discounted prices at other Hyatt properties around the world

The Cons:
*They follow everything by the book- For example: You get a certain amount of sick days for the year. I ended up using all of mine at once because I was in the hospital. I had unexpected surgery. I called in to work with sufficient notice and brought a letter. I was remediated on paper for going over my sick days. I had not called in sick the rest of the year.
Another example: All food and beverage needs to be in the rooms 15 minutes before the scheduled time on the contract. I was in the elevator putting cookies in a room when the elevator broke. I radioed the manager and told them they had to get someone else to bring cookies to the room because i was stuck in the service elevator. I was written up for not having cookies in the room on time even though when i radioed the manager it was still 25 minutes before the scheduled time.
*Everyone on the management team treats you like you are a number and you do not matter. They are taught to intentionally have that distinctive separation between server and manager.
*I have seen other staff disappear and go to the mall for 5 hours during a shift and the management team does not notice because they are in the office the entire time.
*No room for advancement. It was made clear that they like to hire from the outside and not promote
  more... from within.

Overall, I would not recommend this employer to anyone looking for a banquet job. I have literally worked for banquet positions that pay me half of what i was getting paid at the hyatt and i was happier.
Pros
Great pay, Free lunches
Cons
You are nothing to the company but a number
it is what you make it
security officer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CA14 October 2014
I worked for hrlb for about 6 years... It is a company you can grow with if you know the right people and suck up, there are definitely favorites. I was lucky to be in a dept where the boss had our best interest in mind. Always worked his best to accommodate our schedules. Weekends were busy so hard to get those off though. Best part was comp rooms across the globe, wonderful perk!! Pay was pretty poor if you were a line employee, minimum raises were standard.
Pros
comp rooms!! free lunch. really great people i worked with
Cons
worked weekends almost always, pay was low in certain depts, understaffed, some mngt clueless and disconnected from line staff
Good work but hard hours
Room attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2014
Though this job has an excellent starter pay, with benefits coming in after 3 months, its tough being a new employee here. I have so far gotten just graveyard shifts due to seniority. There are too many people working here for there to be enough hours during the day, or even after September. You will need a part time job on the side, even if they promise you "regular work".
Pros
snacks, cheap cafeteria, nice people
Cons
late hours, hard work
Average Day
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2014
A typical day includes going out of your way on your own time to make connections with local restaurants and business. To generate interest in them with guest who come seeking advice on what to do and where to go.

I have learned that if you want to make something happen you need to work hard and make sacrifices in life to get to where you want to be.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Salary
Overall
Hotel Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2014
The Hyatt opens doors for their employees and provides a fun, educational and bright work place.
great business model and career growth
General Maintenance II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 July 2014
great place to learn and with it being a 5 diamond property the training was very helpful in learning for the hospitality business.
Great
Banquet Chef (Former Employee) –  Calgary23 May 2014
Great company to work with.
Great exposure.
Great Benefits.
Great advancement opportunity.
A great learning curb.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 April 2014
Great environment and great team. Learned a lot and growing into management skill was a bonus. The hardest part of the job is not getting to grow in the company because of unfortunate reasons due of lack professionalism on the new management. I enjoyed all my team and everyone i dealt with.
Pros
It was a steady work.
Cons
Flexible workplace with learning opportunities
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2014
-Taking charge of all the maintenance and operations of the shift

- Ensure safety and smooth operation of all electro-mechanical systems

- Managers are very co-operative and responsible

4.2