Hyatt Employee Review

Great company to climb the ladder with
Banquet Sous Chef, Chef de Cuisine (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CA21 August 2013
My typical day at work consist of running the four outlets at the hotel. I inspect the line for all meal periods to ensure quality. I order all produce and proteins needed and am responsible for the inventory and standing par levels. I expedite during meal periods to ensure consistency. I also cook on the line whenever needed.
Everyday I run payroll reports, and keep track of all scheduling needs to eliminate any unnecessary payroll cost. I also coach staff and hold counseling as needed. I also assist in banquets, garde manager, and bake shop whenever needed.
In my time with Hyatt, I have learned how to lead a kitchen by listening to my staff and setting the example. I have learned that you need to push yourself to stay of top of priorities and hold your staff accountable. Also, you cannot stay still with cooking. You need to push to learn new things and keep engaged in the kitchen.
I am currently a department head in the culinary department. I work closely with my staff and managers from other departments. We work well together to achieve the same goal which is genuine hospitality. There are times when information does not get delivered clearly, but we work together and learn from previous experiences
My co-workers are fellow manager and the cooks I supervise. The cooks I supervise are part of the Local 2 union. The majority of my staff is older than me by 15-30 years. We have mutual respect for each other, and I always approach them open minded since their opinion matters. The staff cares about the quality of work they do. There are times when
  more... employee's work will lack consistency, these are the times I hold them accountable through on spot coaching and documentation as needed.
The hardest part of my job is juggling the responsibilities of being on the floor, administrative and helping through out the hotel.
The most enjoyable part of my job is making food I am proud of. When you now that your are making something original with a great flavor profile that people will enjoy.
Pros
Free hotel rooms, health insurance, 401K, ability to transfer
Cons
Short handed in certain areas, layout of the hotel and limitations with space

Other Hyatt Employee Reviews

Great place to work for a few years
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hyatt Regency Calgary11 November 2017
The job an be fulfilling but the pressure to meet sales targets and the consequences of not doing so feels like a stressful pressure cooker-like atmosphere. Most people work 2-3 years in Sales & Events without a promotion. They over-emphasize the quality and treatment of their guests but fail to extend the same to their staff behind the scenes.
Great Culture
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2017
I love working at Hyatt Regency Toronto! My co-workers are all very fun and eclectic. Each day is unique and full of titillating excitement. This has been a great environment for me to grow my career!