Hyatt

1.3K reviews

Hyatt Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great pay but soul sucking job
Banquet Server (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: great pay, free lunches
Cons: you are nothing to the company but a number
I have worked in many hotels asa banquet server and even tough this was the second highest paying one I could not stay there for very long.

The pros:
*Amazing free food in the cafeteria
*Great benefits
*Free stays and discounted prices at other Hyatt properties around the world

The Cons:
*They follow everything by the book- For example: You get a certain amount of sick days for the year. I ended up using all of mine at once because I was in the hospital. I had unexpected surgery. I called in to work with sufficient notice and brought a letter. I was remediated on paper for going over my sick days. I had not called in sick the rest of the year.
Another example: All food and beverage needs to be in the rooms 15 minutes before the scheduled time on the contract. I was in the elevator putting cookies in a room when the elevator broke. I radioed the manager and told them they had to get someone else to bring cookies to the room because i was stuck in the service elevator. I was written up for not having cookies in the room on time even though when i radioed the manager it was still 25 minutes before the scheduled time.
*Everyone on the management team treats you like you are a number and you do not matter. They are taught to intentionally have that distinctive separation between server and manager.
*I have seen other staff disappear and go to the mall for 5 hours during a shift and the management team does not notice because they are in the office the entire time.
*No room for advancement. It was made clear that they like to hire from the outside and not promote from within.

Overall, – more... I would not recommend this employer to anyone looking for a banquet job. I have literally worked for banquet positions that pay me half of what i was getting paid at the hyatt and i was happier. – less
Working at a place that makes different types of amazing sweets
Baker (Co-op Student) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: free food
Cons: when making something really time consuming
A typical day at work would be to come into work and be ready to be told what to do. A co-worker would give me something to do on the list, if its gathering ingredients or actually making the product, I will start on it.

I have learn a lot about baking and when I make mistakes, I learn why the product turn out to not be what I have expected. I have learn what it is like to work in a Kosher Kitchen. It is very important to wash any kinds of fruits and to check eggs for blood and that no dairy is involved. I also have learned how to make a ton of things.

Management is great at Park Hyatt. Everyone makes a list of what needs to be done for events or banquet orders, meets up for meeting to see if there are any changes to be made before the event and makes the product just in time for the event.

Most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to make small treats like cake pops, creme brulee, macaroons, mini lemon meringue pies, little beautiful pastries that I can create with my hands, especially cinnamon apple rose tarts which is very time consuming when producting alot but I enjoy making each and every one of the tarts with a perfect apple rose.
it is what you make it
security officer (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: comp rooms!! free lunch. really great people i worked with
Cons: worked weekends almost always, pay was low in certain depts, understaffed, some mngt clueless and disconnected from line staff
I worked for hrlb for about 6 years... It is a company you can grow with if you know the right people and suck up, there are definitely favorites. I was lucky to be in a dept where the boss had our best interest in mind. Always worked his best to accommodate our schedules. Weekends were busy so hard to get those off though. Best part was comp rooms across the globe, wonderful perk!! Pay was pretty poor if you were a line employee, minimum raises were standard.
Customer Service
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 15, 2013
Pros: comp hotel nights
Cons: i work on holidays, sometimes
A typical day at work is, I log onto my computer station, then get my cash float. I begin the morning check list. Checking the arrivals and departures for the day. I check the occupancy and begin taking the prepayments. I will block the airlines, and start the vip arrivals. Everyday is a new different day at the hotel. I love working with all my co-workers and my managers. Sometimes it can be a bit demanding when there's a sold out day, and we have early arrivals. But there is always support to help the staff and customers.
Beautiful property, great location
Assistant Executive Housekeeper (Current Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 24, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours, but that's usually the case in the hospitality industry
Hyatt Regency Montreal is a beautiful property conveniently located in downtown Montreal. I have had the opportunity to move up professionally and have had the opportunity to learn from the different departments I worked in. There is a great ambiance and spirit and it's due to the employees at the company.
Good work but hard hours
Room attendant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: snacks, cheap cafeteria, nice people
Cons: late hours, hard work
Though this job has an excellent starter pay, with benefits coming in after 3 months, its tough being a new employee here. I have so far gotten just graveyard shifts due to seniority. There are too many people working here for there to be enough hours during the day, or even after September. You will need a part time job on the side, even if they promise you "regular work".
Productive and fun environments
General Maintenance Engineering Departement (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 20, 2012
Pros: free lunches, dental benefit, and health benefit
Cons: lack of career development
Typical day at work are preventive maintenance such as rooms, and machine; and also solve all guest complains for guest room, publics rooms, etc. I learned that team work and hospitality industry are most important and fun to learn.I enjoyed when I always meet guest while there is guest complained.
good situation customer service representative absolutly in high ranking ability
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: good high salary obtain.
Cons: making some false move give you hindrance of duty.
Ability and performance works in duties has been proven. Increased knowledge of serving customers. Dealing with people work together as a team. Dealing co-workers as a team. Some are slow times working hours. Is to promote satisfaction of customers.
Average Day
Guest Services (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: salary
A typical day includes going out of your way on your own time to make connections with local restaurants and business. To generate interest in them with guest who come seeking advice on what to do and where to go.

I have learned that if you want to make something happen you need to work hard and make sacrifices in life to get to where you want to be.
A great learning curb.
Line Cook (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 16, 2014
Pros: it was a steady work.
Cons: long hours
Great environment and great team. Learned a lot and growing into management skill was a bonus. The hardest part of the job is not getting to grow in the company because of unfortunate reasons due of lack professionalism on the new management. I enjoyed all my team and everyone i dealt with.
Feast or famine
Employee (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Free hot lunches
Cons: Lack of work, lack of work life balance
And lately famine. Although your coworkers and managers are usually excellent. A very team oriented dynamic. Salary is reasonable, work is not always available. The benefits are good. Sick days, medical and RRSP contributions by employer and many more perks.
Exciting, highest expectations
Valet, Cashier & Bellman (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2012
Highest service standards are expected. Management was encouraging of career growth and your well being. Challenge - expectation of delivering 100% of the time. Clientele is composed of movie stars, professional athletes and other celebrities.
Fun
Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: repetitive
The people are the best part of my job. The benefits are great, and the customers are great too. Some of the cons include having to deal with theft a lot (as there are a lot of homeless people in the area who try to steal your merchandise and your tips), and the repetitiveness.
Fun enviroment
Convention Services (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 11, 2015
A lot of room to advance except it takes a long time to acquire such. Needs a better scheduling system as everything is scheduled in seniority which is kind of horrible. You won't get any hours (hardly) if you're at the bottom of the hires.
Excellent place with many employee benifits
Stewarding Supervisor (Former Employee), Cambridge, MDAugust 21, 2012
Pros: amazing people, amazing management.
Cons: its has good bussiness only in summers.
Good Place fabulous location right beside a river choptank,amazing climate, many facilities for guest as well.
Excellent people, good working envionment
Assistant Director Of Finance (Former Employee), TorontoMarch 16, 2015
Pros: fast paced working environment
Cons: long commute
Excellent team, learn a lot from my direct report (Controller). Prepared myself for Controller. Difficult commute daily with traffic
Flexible workplace with learning opportunities
Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 12, 2014
-Taking charge of all the maintenance and operations of the shift

- Ensure safety and smooth operation of all electro-mechanical systems

- Managers are very co-operative and responsible
best work place
Housekeeping Room Attendant (Former Employee), calgary abApril 25, 2015
Pros: free meal
Cons: 8 hours
nice place to work easy to deal with the management and good benefits fair salary and free lunch and staff are friendly in all department.
Large hotel chain
HYATT REGENCY VIP CONCIERGE (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 27, 2015
I enjoyed my time working for our special guests with a good team of coworkers and a fun environment with good benefits. I enjoyed my time at the Hyatt.
great business model and career growth
General Maintenance II (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 30, 2014
great place to learn and with it being a 5 diamond property the training was very helpful in learning for the hospitality business.
Headquarters