Husky Energy

Husky Energy Employee Reviews

Great Company - Downside is Management
Field Operator 4 (Current Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 15, 2012
I have worked for Husky for a total of 11 years. I have worked in a facility and in 2 fields.

Facility - great workplace, people were awesome. Summer BBQs, positive environment and very safety oriented.

Field 1 - people were great, busy area and monthly lunches/ team building. Problem everyone newly hired was someone's cousin, son or somehow related and manager wasn't open to others ideas, his way or no way at all.
Field 2 - great place, great culture, breakfasts at morning meetings and busy area as well. No problems yet and almost a completely different mindset in management, open to suggestions and others' ideas.

Husky has amazing job security, works with very safe and modern equipment and after hours is more than willing to compensate workers fairly. Never been questioned on my overtime once in 11 years.
Pros
great team atmosphere, family oriented
Cons
certain district has management issues
Dealing with safety issues in the heavy oil industry.
Field Technician/ Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABApril 24, 2013
Review the work-day agenda: meetings, inspections, teaching assignments and OH&S regulations. Carry out the assignments as required.

I learned that Safe Operating Procedures, regulations and legislation are a very important part of the job.

Managers and co-workers were professionals (mostly engineers) who were knowledgeable and dedicated to their work.

The hardest part of the job was keeping abreast of the changes in regulations and legislation for the work being done.

The most enjoyable part was occasionally being sent out on a training program to some other place, for example, Texas.
Pros
excellent working conditions and rewards.
Cons
jobs may depend on external conditions such as the price of oil.
Incivility on a daily basis
Deskside Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKJanuary 14, 2016
The 'work' was excellent. The personal interactions with management and senior staff... not so much.

I learned a new word working at Husky. "Incivility"

There were two senior staff members in my area (one of them the manager) that were adept at rude, condescending, bullying type behaviors. I found it very toxic. After my 6 month contract was up I had mixed feelings about leaving.

Overall Husky is your typical corporate environment. They ask that you put the company first while they put the people last. Lots of bonuses at the top and lots of cuts at the bottom. Watch what you say and who you say it to. Smile a lot and kiss the right behinds.
Pros
excellent 'work' opportunity
Cons
incivility, workplace bullying, corporate mentalities and culture
Sad state of affairs
Operator (Former Employee) –  LloydminsterMarch 24, 2013
These comments were obviously left by the management types at Husky, the truth is every 3 years all the seniors are shuffled so that any promises made as far as wage increases or level advancement goes with them. In most cases people who become seniors, not for work ethic or knowledge, but ability to lie and con the dinosaurs they call "co-ordinators". Most of Husky's upper echelon is 20 years past optimum retirement age and their poor decisions and antique methods are laughable. Time for Husky to look at youth for direction because the dementia laden squids they have at the top will be their undoing. Great place to work as a last resort before the soup kitchen.
Pros
3 hours a day 10 hours pay
Cons
not enough space to list them all
Husky is a very good place to build professional and social career.
BA - Network Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  ABJanuary 28, 2015
Husky is a very good work place where employees are given opportunity for career /professional development by sponsoring relevant trainning needs both local and oversea.

It also allow flexible hours where employee at times could work remotely (home).

Husky prides herself with cream of seasoned professionals in all areas of operation and they are will to share the knowledge through collaborations on varoius cross functional projects.

Lastly Husky is a multinational company where every employee is treated equally without discremination.
Cons
highly dynamic environment where you are expected to delivery on time scope and budget.
Productive and interesting. Always learning something new everyday.
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, SKFebruary 25, 2015
I worked a 12 hours shift 7-7. It was good. It took some adjustment but at the end of it I got use to it. I learned how to maintain a log book, do schedule readings of generators, check readings for well pads, and also did a couple lock out tag out. The manager was approachable when you needed him and everybody was easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was waiting for something to do when you did all your work and the cold weather. I found it quite enjoyable to trouble shoot some alarms when they came on.
Pros
learning everyday and free lunch sometime
Cons
took adjustment from going days to nights. and going to work at night coming back at night.
Work with careful watching surroundings
Mechanical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2014
Very punctual , discuss work to be done, work output and difficulties to improve upon.
Learned a lot about working procedures , conditions and dealing with colleagues and superiors in new atmosphere in Canada.
Learned a lot about management by attending many types of management courses.
My co-workers were excellent , very cooperative , paying respect and mostly doing jobs on time.
Hardest part of the job was getting info about technical details from the consultants , contractors and sometimes from other departments.
On time completion of my jobs allocated by my superiors.
Pros
hard working required
Cons
get good appreciations from superiors
Husky is one of the top producers of oil in canada and a very solid company to work for.
Well Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKJuly 28, 2013
A typical day would start off with a safety meeting with all on site and review scope for the job.Review any safety alerts or concerns from any workers.All directions are explained and all workers know this is the prime contractors stand on how things are to be completed.I have to always make sure that workers are doing the job safely and that they don't put others / themselfs in harms way.When the days done and all went according to plan it's been a good day.I have completed what I set out to do and what was exspected of me.
Pros
solid company that stands for safety of the worker.
Undergoing significant changes in IT and PMO
Senior Application Architect & Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2014
It was so good to see open minded management currently engaged and working with industry HR professionals to over come some significant issues regarding communication and process changes between Business and IT. Improvement is noticeable over the short term I was back.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with such a large range of enterrpise stakeholders to gain move large initiatives forward that are not yet in sync with the new desired processes.
Pros
compensation
Cons
cramped office space and seating
fun workplace with new challanges every day
Land Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2012
Check emails for any road use request, and learned to process the requests back to the client with signed agreements.
Management always asked how things were going, and how I felt.

My peers were awesome, always had a great day with whom I seen in passing

Hardest part of the job, was trying to get signatures back from the Landman to process for the clients.

Enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet so many people, and taking on all new challanges that came my way.
Pros
personal office
Cons
downtown traffic could be a handful at days
Work Summary
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 12, 2013
At Husky Energy I was QA Analyst worked in Agile methodology where I created Test Strategy document, identified Test Scenarios and created Test Scripts ensuring to cover all the Business requirements. I used to report to Project Manager in daily Scrum meetings. I used to co-ordinate with the development team off-shore.
I have executed the Test Scripts in Quality Center, logged defects based on priorities and severity, generated reports in Dash board. Managed the Quality Center as Administrator.
remote field operations
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Rainbow Lake, ABJune 11, 2015
Rainbow lake operations consisted of daily testing, and weekly and monthly pigging schedule. maintaining equipment and taking chemical rates. On a weekly basis we would change water filters.
Managing compressors, satellite facilities, pump jacks and gas lift wells. Working independently or with help from operators on other runs. We would trouble shoot downed equipment or lines and take necessary measures to get flow back up and running.
Pros
learning new areas
Cons
remote location
Great Place to work
Supply Chain Technician / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 9, 2014
It's a great place to work with flexible start timings.
Employees have the option to attend online or class room trainings along with online modules in the subject matter relevant to the duties.
Management reviews performance and provides feedback from time to time. Encourages to participate in departmental meetings and to bring up own topics for discussions. Co-workers are always willing to assist. One enjoy's working here.
Pros
lot of activities.
Lousy Management at Sunrise
Site Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, Fort McMurrayDecember 18, 2014
I think the leadership is extremely poor at Sunrise. They should be removed from site immediately. There is NO communication between the various leaders. Very disorganzed, confused place to work,. And getting access to systems is impossible. It takes months to get the access required.
They almost need to remove everyone from site (on the Husky side) and hire competent people.
Pros
camp is good
Cons
leadership, communication is absolutely terrible.
Decent work environment, gets boring after 3 years
Power Engineer/ Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABDecember 28, 2013
The night shifts prove to be pretty boring, best used for studying for ABSA's or learning a new skill on you-tube. Try not to get suckered into doing Husky courses over getting your ABSA tickets.
Most of your coworkers will be great easy going people, you're certain to find things you have in common, and you should because you'll be spending a lot of time together.
Pros
easy going plant
Cons
theres at least one questionable manager
productive and busy work place
Custodian (Current Employee) –  SKOctober 25, 2015
it is fun and challenging job for me. good bosses and people. I've learned a lot... i just started driving when i got hired and i improved myself a lot driving around the site with different kind of machinery around. very busy which keeps me going and it feels so fast through out the day that i worked.. i have more time for my kid on my days off.. i have 2 weeks busy time at work and i really enjoyed my time off with family...
Pros
we have free lunch once a week
Cons
it is a contract job
Work Experience
Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLSeptember 12, 2012
•Part Time Employee
•Worked closely with the following teams:
oProduction and Operations
•Familiar with ISO Standards
•Coordinated offshore personnel
•Maintenance planning and scheduling
•Arranged vendor visits
•Ensured appropriate personnel for specific jobs
pour safety culture
electrician (Former Employee) –  SunRiseOctober 29, 2013
as an electrician for husky i have witness in a short period of time more electrical near miss then anywhere i ever worked combine. their lack of commissioning procedure and practice will hurt them in the long run. The management do not impress when time come to implement their safety value " you see it you own it" should sound more like "you see it better be quiet"
Pros
if you know someone your in!!!
Cons
have to quit or they will relocate you. bad management
Great job mates. Enjoy the time off.
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  offshore, NLJune 16, 2013
I work 12hrs a day, with a 3 week on, and a 3 week off rotation. Its been a great learning experience. Great people to work with. The hardest part of the job is been away from my family for 3 weeks at a time. The best thing about the job is that I get 3 weeks home with my family. I would add that the safety culture is second to none. To me, that is the most important part of any job.
Pros
3 weeks off
Cons
3 weeks away, plus i miss alot of holidays, etc.
Great place to start a career in supply chain
Procurement Analyst Co-op (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 12, 2014
- Good hours, 8-5 job with very little stress
- Learned supply chain processes from procurement persepective
- Exposed to bid process including RFI, RFP, negotiations, and award stages
- Exposure to different projects from local to global operations
Pros
comfortable work environment, lots of room for growth
Cons
slow work environment, not challenging enough, little communication across departments