Husky Energy Employee Reviews

poor management
Downstream Group (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 17, 2016
Husky has long been known as an industry lager. Unfortunately poor management throughout the company can be viewed as the reason for this. Husky has a long history of under performing in its stock price, and under performing with financial results. It has never been viewed as a great place to work and unfortunately even with a recent change in upper management the culture has not changed. Employees at Husky are not valued, advancement only occurs based on the number of years you work there and the HR department is one of the worst i have every seen in more than 25 years of working both in canada and the US.
Until the culture changes, and there are significant changes at the mid to upper management levels Husky will continue to be viewed as one of the worst large companies to work at in Calgary.
Good place to work with great people.
Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, ABMarch 29, 2016
Advanced my career into a supervisory position that gave me skills to manage properties and people. I learned a lot about risk management and process safety while in this role. My co-workers were all good people with a diversity in culture and values. Most enjoyed part of the job was working with a variety of people and groups.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
High expectations that cut into work/life
Incivility on a daily basis
Deskside Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKJanuary 14, 2016
The 'work' was excellent. The personal interactions with management and senior staff... not so much.

I learned a new word working at Husky. "Incivility"

There were two senior staff members in my area (one of them the manager) that were adept at rude, condescending, bullying type behaviors. I found it very toxic. After my 6 month contract was up I had mixed feelings about leaving.

Overall Husky is your typical corporate environment. They ask that you put the company first while they put the people last. Lots of bonuses at the top and lots of cuts at the bottom. Watch what you say and who you say it to. Smile a lot and kiss the right behinds.
Pros
excellent 'work' opportunity
Cons
incivility, workplace bullying, corporate mentalities and culture
Great company to work for.
Senior Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2016
Great company to work for. Unfortunately the oil crisis is pushing companies to lay off people.
I loved to work for Husky these 5 years.

Management is excellent, respectful and encourage the team to get training and develop themselves.

Great team to work with.
Pros
Great benefits, flexicble hours, good environment
Cons
Husky = a sugarcoated and sensationalized work environment
Downstream Accounting (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJune 6, 2016
Working at Husky will have you:

1) Running faster and faster in circles trying to please upper management.

2) You'll lose the time and energy required to go after your goals and ambitions in life.

3) The day-to-day verbal abuse from management will take a toll on you mentally and you'll find yourself wanting to sink into a pool of water.

4) You'll find yourself waffling back and forth as to why you decided to work there.

5) Management lacks the willingness to take ownership for their mistakes and to put "respect" into action.

Overall, it's a high-stakes version of office politics with no opportunity for career advancement. Don't waste your time trying to build your career at Husky.
Pros
The work environement will help you realize what is important when finding a company
Cons
Poor management, lack of respect/diversity
Wide Range of Opportunities
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 24, 2016
Join Husky Energy

As one of Canada's largest integrated energy companies, Husky is proud of its people, diversity and commitment to social responsibility.

People

People are one of the main reasons for Husky's success. The Company invests in its employees and provides the challenges and opportunities necessary to grow and succeed. Husky offers a competitive compensation package, career options and advancement on numerous projects.

Diversity and Inclusion

Husky embraces diversity and inclusion, and encourages a respectful workplace. Husky works to ensure that all staff feel respected, included and valued. The Company attracts the best talent by encouraging applications from all qualified individuals, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.

Social Responsibility

Husky is committed to responsible corporate citizenship.

This includes the integration of social, environmental and economic considerations into its core businesses while engaging key stakeholders and conducting business in an ethical manner.
Excellent workplace
Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2016
Husky Energy is an excellent place to work. The people are friendly and management always tries to keep employees in the loop about the direction of the company. Senior engineers are always open to help you with whatever needed.
A productive place to wrok
Library Technician and Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2016
Helped clients with library and records management inquiries. I enjoyed troubleshooting specific well record issues. I enjoyed working on and over seeing records management special project. My co-workers were always very helpful and I learned valuable knowledge from them.
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMarch 9, 2016
Learned and grew personally and professionally. Management could do better in leveraging employee expertise. Enjoyed working with the people.
Great management team
Superintendent Calgary Corporate Office (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 13, 2016
The management team at husky was very accommodating and supportive. They made great efforts to help you feel like you were making a difference in the company.
Pros
productive office atmosphere, cheaper rates on parking
Cons
Multiple meetings, redundant paper work
Working Culture
Facility Engineer (Project Lead) (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABOctober 22, 2015
I enjoyed working at Husky Energy. Working culture is quite comfortable for people from different backgrounds. I recommend new immigrants to find available opportunity at Husky Energy. :)
Pros
Friendly working Environment
Cons
Less job security
Great team effort and company does care about their employees.
Commercial Sales Manager- Ontario, Quebec (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2016
Great company to work for, they are growing and will do well! The compensation and work load is balanced. The decision makers do try to get all employees involved in the decision making.
Hard working and easy going, work very well with others.
Contract Operator (Former Employee) –  Cochrane AB.June 20, 2016
Enjoy working with others and put my best foot forward every day, I am a very loyal and conscientious worker. I am quick to learn new tasks and show up each day punctually and with a smile on my face.
Pros
Very hard dedicated worker.
Cons
Temporary work.
It's alright
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 16, 2016
pay is minimum. and work is headache. specially counting the smokes daily. you have to deal with cleaning, restocking, serving costumers, and shipments all alone
Pros
meet new people
Cons
sit in the same spot for the whole day
Pay for performance
Land Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 18, 2016
If you are a high performer and like to be challenged I think this is an excellent place to work. Colleagues are great and in the business the management team was very responsive.
Pros
Challenging Work
not a family oriented company
Document Controller (Secondee) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Company Management is not great compared to other companies. I have learned a lot only too much pressure on a day to day work load. Co-workers sometimes are good. the job is easy and the most enjoyable part of the job I would say is constant learning.
Career Advancement
Senior Construction Controls Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 27, 2016
I enjoyed being at Husky Energy, they are a company that believes in personal advancement.
While there I was able to learn a variety of different aspects of the company and grow within.
Typical days were very hectic and intense. A great team of very focused team members.
Project Procurement Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
The company is very focused on profitability and cost management. The Supply Chain Management department had very cumbersome rules and procedures; which often hampered productivity. This became challenging on occasion when trying to maintain project schedules.
great
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKSeptember 11, 2016
This Company is great to work for allowing for great work experiences along with home life. there plenty of ways to advance in the work life style and achieve your best
Good Management
Material Engineer/MDM Analyst -Contract (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 4, 2015
It's a great company with excellent management, facilities, compensation. Great place to learn and apply those knowledge to your job.
Pros
Good compensation, facilities, management