Husky Energy

Husky Energy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Company - Downside is Management
Field Operator 4 (Current Employee), AlbertaOctober 15, 2012
Pros: great team atmosphere, family oriented
Cons: certain district has management issues
I have worked for Husky for a total of 11 years. I have worked in a facility and in 2 fields.

Facility - great workplace, people were awesome. Summer BBQs, positive environment and very safety oriented.

Field 1 - people were great, busy area and monthly lunches/ team building. Problem everyone newly hired was someone's cousin, son or somehow related and manager wasn't open to others ideas, his way or no way at all.
Field 2 - great place, great culture, breakfasts at morning meetings and busy area as well. No problems yet and almost a completely different mindset in management, open to suggestions and others' ideas.

Husky has amazing job security, works with very safe and modern equipment and after hours is more than willing to compensate workers fairly. Never been questioned on my overtime once in 11 years.
Sad state of affairs
Operator (Former Employee), LloydminsterMarch 24, 2013
Pros: 3 hours a day 10 hours pay
Cons: not enough space to list them all
These comments were obviously left by the management types at Husky, the truth is every 3 years all the seniors are shuffled so that any promises made as far as wage increases or level advancement goes with them. In most cases people who become seniors, not for work ethic or knowledge, but ability to lie and con the dinosaurs they call "co-ordinators". Most of Husky's upper echelon is 20 years past optimum retirement age and their poor decisions and antique methods are laughable. Time for Husky to look at youth for direction because the dementia laden squids they have at the top will be their undoing. Great place to work as a last resort before the soup kitchen.
Incivility on a daily basis
Deskside Support Analyst (Former Employee), Lloydminster, SKJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: excellent 'work' opportunity
Cons: incivility, workplace bullying, corporate mentalities and culture
The 'work' was excellent. The personal interactions with management and senior staff... not so much.

I learned a new word working at Husky. "Incivility"

There were two senior staff members in my area (one of them the manager) that were adept at rude, condescending, bullying type behaviors. I found it very toxic. After my 6 month contract was up I had mixed feelings about leaving.

Overall Husky is your typical corporate environment. They ask that you put the company first while they put the people last. Lots of bonuses at the top and lots of cuts at the bottom. Watch what you say and who you say it to. Smile a lot and kiss the right behinds.
Productive and interesting. Always learning something new everyday.
Practicum Student (Former Employee), Maidstone, SKFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: learning everyday and free lunch sometime
Cons: took adjustment from going days to nights. and going to work at night coming back at night.
I worked a 12 hours shift 7-7. It was good. It took some adjustment but at the end of it I got use to it. I learned how to maintain a log book, do schedule readings of generators, check readings for well pads, and also did a couple lock out tag out. The manager was approachable when you needed him and everybody was easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was waiting for something to do when you did all your work and the cold weather. I found it quite enjoyable to trouble shoot some alarms when they came on.
Husky is one of the top producers of oil in canada and a very solid company to work for.
Well Site Supervisor (Current Employee), Lloydminster, SKJuly 28, 2013
Pros: solid company that stands for safety of the worker.
A typical day would start off with a safety meeting with all on site and review scope for the job.Review any safety alerts or concerns from any workers.All directions are explained and all workers know this is the prime contractors stand on how things are to be completed.I have to always make sure that workers are doing the job safely and that they don't put others / themselfs in harms way.When the days done and all went according to plan it's been a good day.I have completed what I set out to do and what was exspected of me.
Dealing with safety issues in the heavy oil industry.
Field Technician/ Safety Supervisor (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABApril 24, 2013
Pros: excellent working conditions and rewards.
Cons: jobs may depend on external conditions such as the price of oil.
Review the work-day agenda: meetings, inspections, teaching assignments and OH&S regulations. Carry out the assignments as required.

I learned that Safe Operating Procedures, regulations and legislation are a very important part of the job.

Managers and co-workers were professionals (mostly engineers) who were knowledgeable and dedicated to their work.

The hardest part of the job was keeping abreast of the changes in regulations and legislation for the work being done.

The most enjoyable part was occasionally being sent out on a training program to some other place, for example, Texas.
Husky is a very good place to build professional and social career.
BA - Network Infrastructure (Current Employee), ABJanuary 28, 2015
Cons: highly dynamic environment where you are expected to delivery on time scope and budget.
Husky is a very good work place where employees are given opportunity for career /professional development by sponsoring relevant trainning needs both local and oversea.

It also allow flexible hours where employee at times could work remotely (home).

Husky prides herself with cream of seasoned professionals in all areas of operation and they are will to share the knowledge through collaborations on varoius cross functional projects.

Lastly Husky is a multinational company where every employee is treated equally without discremination.
fun workplace with new challanges every day
Land Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2012
Pros: personal office
Cons: downtown traffic could be a handful at days
Check emails for any road use request, and learned to process the requests back to the client with signed agreements.
Management always asked how things were going, and how I felt.

My peers were awesome, always had a great day with whom I seen in passing

Hardest part of the job, was trying to get signatures back from the Landman to process for the clients.

Enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet so many people, and taking on all new challanges that came my way.
Work with careful watching surroundings
Mechanical Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: hard working required
Cons: get good appreciations from superiors
Very punctual , discuss work to be done, work output and difficulties to improve upon.
Learned a lot about working procedures , conditions and dealing with colleagues and superiors in new atmosphere in Canada.
Learned a lot about management by attending many types of management courses.
My co-workers were excellent , very cooperative , paying respect and mostly doing jobs on time.
Hardest part of the job was getting info about technical details from the consultants , contractors and sometimes from other departments.
On time completion of my jobs allocated by my superiors.
Decent work environment, gets boring after 3 years
Power Engineer/ Plant Operator (Former Employee), Rocky Mountain House, ABDecember 28, 2013
Pros: easy going plant
Cons: theres at least one questionable manager
The night shifts prove to be pretty boring, best used for studying for ABSA's or learning a new skill on you-tube. Try not to get suckered into doing Husky courses over getting your ABSA tickets.
Most of your coworkers will be great easy going people, you're certain to find things you have in common, and you should because you'll be spending a lot of time together.
Undergoing significant changes in IT and PMO
Senior Application Architect & Technical Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: cramped office space and seating
It was so good to see open minded management currently engaged and working with industry HR professionals to over come some significant issues regarding communication and process changes between Business and IT. Improvement is noticeable over the short term I was back.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with such a large range of enterrpise stakeholders to gain move large initiatives forward that are not yet in sync with the new desired processes.
productive and busy work place
Custodian (Current Employee), SKOctober 25, 2015
Pros: we have free lunch once a week
Cons: it is a contract job
it is fun and challenging job for me. good bosses and people. I've learned a lot... i just started driving when i got hired and i improved myself a lot driving around the site with different kind of machinery around. very busy which keeps me going and it feels so fast through out the day that i worked.. i have more time for my kid on my days off.. i have 2 weeks busy time at work and i really enjoyed my time off with family...
pour safety culture
electrician (Former Employee), SunRiseOctober 29, 2013
Pros: if you know someone your in!!!
Cons: have to quit or they will relocate you. bad management
as an electrician for husky i have witness in a short period of time more electrical near miss then anywhere i ever worked combine. their lack of commissioning procedure and practice will hurt them in the long run. The management do not impress when time come to implement their safety value " you see it you own it" should sound more like "you see it better be quiet"
waste lots time on political things
Engineer (Current Employee), CalgaryApril 17, 2013
Last 5 years I have worked for two managers who like political things, kind of extreme, can't say that Husky has good culture. Every year Husky has employee performance review but HR never does investigation on employee's feedback about their supervisor, sometimes higher management doesn't know what happened truly. If let it go this way to leak on foundation, not sure how far Husky can go.
remote field operations
Field Operator (Former Employee), Rainbow Lake, ABJune 11, 2015
Pros: learning new areas
Cons: remote location
Rainbow lake operations consisted of daily testing, and weekly and monthly pigging schedule. maintaining equipment and taking chemical rates. On a weekly basis we would change water filters.
Managing compressors, satellite facilities, pump jacks and gas lift wells. Working independently or with help from operators on other runs. We would trouble shoot downed equipment or lines and take necessary measures to get flow back up and running.
Work Summary
QA Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 12, 2013
At Husky Energy I was QA Analyst worked in Agile methodology where I created Test Strategy document, identified Test Scenarios and created Test Scripts ensuring to cover all the Business requirements. I used to report to Project Manager in daily Scrum meetings. I used to co-ordinate with the development team off-shore.
I have executed the Test Scripts in Quality Center, logged defects based on priorities and severity, generated reports in Dash board. Managed the Quality Center as Administrator.
Great job mates. Enjoy the time off.
Electrical Technician (Current Employee), offshore, NLJune 16, 2013
Pros: 3 weeks off
Cons: 3 weeks away, plus i miss alot of holidays, etc.
I work 12hrs a day, with a 3 week on, and a 3 week off rotation. Its been a great learning experience. Great people to work with. The hardest part of the job is been away from my family for 3 weeks at a time. The best thing about the job is that I get 3 weeks home with my family. I would add that the safety culture is second to none. To me, that is the most important part of any job.
Sexism is rampant
Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryJune 4, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: sexism
I would warn anyone who is female on joining this company. Some managers are not trained on how to manage people with result being, you work for ignorant men.

It was my experience that job promotion was based on gender and most females are stuck in the "pink collar ghetto".

Upper managment is unaware of the toxic work environment and HR is useless.
friendly family like setting enjoyable
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABSeptember 7, 2012
Pros: barbeques and lunches
Cons: long shifts
receiving equipment, filling orders, organizing stock, deligating jobs to be done.
I learned more about the process in constructing a battery.
My position involved managing employees within the warehouse.
My co-workers were great.
The hardest part of the job was getting used to long shifts. 10 12's 4 off.
Working in a family feeling setting
Productive place to work amid falling oil prices
accounting technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Pros: Great team leads, organized culture
Cons: Morale on the low side.
My time at Husky was amid a large drop in oil prices. Moral wasn't exceptionally high and communication among co-workers was kept to a minimum. Would be a great place to work in ideal economic conditions. Overall, enjoyed my time there but it could have been better if oil was higher.
Headquarters