Husky Energy Employee Reviews

Husky = a sugarcoated and sensationalized work environment
Downstream Accounting (Former Employee) –  Calgary6 June 2016
Working at Husky will have you:

1) Running faster and faster in circles trying to please upper management.

2) You'll lose the time and energy required to go after your goals and ambitions in life.

3) The day-to-day verbal abuse from management will take a toll on you mentally and you'll find yourself wanting to sink into a pool of water.

4) You'll find yourself waffling back and forth as to why you decided to work there.

5) Management lacks the willingness to take ownership for their mistakes and to put "respect" into action.

Overall, it's a high-stakes version of office politics with no opportunity for career advancement. Don't waste your time trying to build your career at Husky.
Pros
The work environement will help you realize what is important when finding a company
Cons
Poor management, lack of respect/diversity
Amazing workplace
Production Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2017
One of the best places to work in engineering. Amazing workplace with a great work culture with lots of benefits and good pay.
poor management
Downstream Group (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 March 2016
Husky has long been known as an industry lager. Unfortunately poor management throughout the company can be viewed as the reason for this. Husky has a long history of under performing in its stock price, and under performing with financial results. It has never been viewed as a great place to work and unfortunately even with a recent change in upper management the culture has not changed. Employees at Husky are not valued, advancement only occurs based on the number of years you work there and the HR department is one of the worst i have every seen in more than 25 years of working both in canada and the US.
Until the culture changes, and there are significant changes at the mid to upper management levels Husky will continue to be viewed as one of the worst large companies to work at in Calgary.
Good place to work with great people.
Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB29 March 2016
Advanced my career into a supervisory position that gave me skills to manage properties and people. I learned a lot about risk management and process safety while in this role. My co-workers were all good people with a diversity in culture and values. Most enjoyed part of the job was working with a variety of people and groups.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
High expectations that cut into work/life
Closed Work Place
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 December 2016
The environment was very toxic. There are brilliant people working there in the wrong positions.

Start early and chained to your desk
Too many meetings
Management doesn't have the proper structure in place (in my opinion)

I really enjoyed the people, they were great!
Fun workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, SK2 December 2016
Was fun but mainly it was a good thing cause we were helping mother nature by cleaning the North Sask. river. the company was good to work with and i enjoyed my time with them.
Pros
free lunchs
Wellsite Drilling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2017
A good company Safety first but did not look after contractors when prices fell. Would like to work with them again.Good management support.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Slow work due to oil prices
Good overall working environment
Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK20 October 2016
Good working environment. I was there on a short contract. The Husky team was very helpful with all inquiries and necessary information. Husky took very good care of employees working long hours on this emergency job.
A productive place to wrok
Library Technician and Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2016
Helped clients with library and records management inquiries. I enjoyed troubleshooting specific well record issues. I enjoyed working on and over seeing records management special project. My co-workers were always very helpful and I learned valuable knowledge from them.
great
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK11 September 2016
This Company is great to work for allowing for great work experiences along with home life. there plenty of ways to advance in the work life style and achieve your best
Loved the work and most coworkers were great but being a temp makes things hard sometimes in a typical office environment
Temp Worker (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK10 December 2016
Great place to work. Employees are treated great. Being a temp in an office situation has it's challenges. Some employee's feel threatened because you are doing the work they didn't want to do themselves. If I could have been a permanent employee I would still be there.
Pros
Fat Friday is one there was always something fun going on
Cons
Temp
Incivility on a daily basis
Deskside Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK14 January 2016
The 'work' was excellent. The personal interactions with management and senior staff... not so much.

I learned a new word working at Husky. "Incivility"

There were two senior staff members in my area (one of them the manager) that were adept at rude, condescending, bullying type behaviors. I found it very toxic. After my 6 month contract was up I had mixed feelings about leaving.

Overall Husky is your typical corporate environment. They ask that you put the company first while they put the people last. Lots of bonuses at the top and lots of cuts at the bottom. Watch what you say and who you say it to. Smile a lot and kiss the right behinds.
Pros
excellent 'work' opportunity
Cons
incivility, workplace bullying, corporate mentalities and culture
Pay for performance
Land Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2016
If you are a high performer and like to be challenged I think this is an excellent place to work. Colleagues are great and in the business the management team was very responsive.
Pros
Challenging Work
Very good company to work for
Contract Operator (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB24 January 2017
I had no real problems to complain about They were fair in all aspects that a work place should be. The reason I left and to work on my own was my decision because I was unsure if I had a job or not.
Pros
Supplied what I needed to get work done at the work place
Cons
Can't say anything really
Great team effort and company does care about their employees.
Commercial Sales Manager- Ontario, Quebec (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2016
Great company to work for, they are growing and will do well! The compensation and work load is balanced. The decision makers do try to get all employees involved in the decision making.
great work with Husky
QA Mechanical Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 January 2017
I worked with Husky Energy under the Husky Sunrise Quality Team and Husky people are all great and cooperative in term of any situation comes out. My Manager is very supportive and the Construction Team as well. I can say, its a good team work.
Pros
free Fly in and Fly out
Career Advancement
Senior Construction Controls Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
I enjoyed being at Husky Energy, they are a company that believes in personal advancement.
While there I was able to learn a variety of different aspects of the company and grow within.
Okay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC15 July 2016
Job is okay to work with during school, not enough pay and management is not good at all. To much work and no appreciation
Pros
Good people
Cons
Not enough pay
Great company to work for.
Senior Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2016
Great company to work for. Unfortunately the oil crisis is pushing companies to lay off people.
I loved to work for Husky these 5 years.

Management is excellent, respectful and encourage the team to get training and develop themselves.

Great team to work with.
Pros
Great benefits, flexicble hours, good environment
Cons
Productive fun place to work
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Shouldice11 January 2017
I enjoyed working for Husky, but they sold the properties and I was not part of the new ownership plans.I am currently looking for new opportunities.