Humber River Regional Hospital

Humber River Regional Hospital Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Safe place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee), North York, ONOctober 2, 2014
If you have an interest in the health care field perfect to apply.
Operating Room Technician
Operating Room Technician (Current Employee), EtobicokeOctober 2, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: shift work
A Typical day would be dealing hands on with specific O.R Instruments, equipment and procedures. Running daily maintenance on all Sterrad Systems and Biological Indicators. Setting up of all O.R surgeries and equipment. Restock of all Anesthetic products and Working along side Surgeons and Nurses with invasive procedures. Has allowed to think critically, – more... work hands on with surgeons and nurses and apply all my skills in order to run a safe and sterile environment. Great management team. Hardest part of this job, is to be able to access a procedure and determine to proper instruments that are required to complete the task. Most enjoyable part is to be able to gain continual knowledge on all invasive procedures. – less
A place where you can gain much experience in customer service and conflict management.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), North York, ONSeptember 7, 2014
Customers and staff at the hospital are fairly cooperative and easy to work with. Technical issues such as parking machines and server issues are manageable and easy to fix. Management is always made available to me for any concerns or questions. A lot of the time you are working independently and a lot of decisions are made by your own best judgement. – more... The hardest part of the job is not being able to find an actual solution to a customer's problem and seeking advice from management when they aren't available. The most enjoyable part of the job are the benefits the company gives to full-time employees. – less
Productive workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 9, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: when it gets really quiet
Everyone is friendly and the management is great! My co-workers were very supportive and made me look forward to be volunteering there.
Good place to work, lots of fun with staff and smaller hospital.
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2014
Providing excellent care in a long term setting it was great working here. We had a fantastic cadre of staff on our unit and we worked really well together.
Awesome staff!
Child and Adolescent Therapist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2014
As a child and youth therapist my days would run from 9-5 pm. Each day would be very different depending on the patient's that I would be seeing. Before commencing any work with a child I would conduct an assessment (psycho-social as required by Humber) with the patient and family. From this assessment I would be able to make a treatment plan that the – more... child's parents would know and it would be run by the child's psychiatrist and other team of care.

Each week I would meet with the patients' team of care to determine the efficiency of the treatment plan. – less
A fast paced environment and great experienced
Nursing Student (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 5, 2014
My typical day in a Health Care setting started with established procedures. I got my assessment, listened to the morning’s reports and worked efficiently during the day while caring for my patients, researching the clinical setting, and doing my documentation. It was an acute and fast paced environment where I had to be constantly alert and ready for – more... critical thinking and problem solving. I was ready to gain knowledge and skills as well as help others. I evaluated my knowledge, skills and personal qualities in relationship to the patients, families, health team and interdisciplinary professionals. For example, I used my time efficiently to perform patient morning care, V/S checking, physical and physiological assessment, feeding, medication, bed-bathing and documentation. By managing my time well, I was welcome to assist team members and strengthen and gain farther knowledge and skills. For example, I advanced my skills in wound care managing, suctioning, catheterisation, Blood sugar monitoring, Intramuscular injection, intravenous therapy and blood transfusion. Also, from the team I learned the specific care; management and interventions related to cardiac, pulmonary and complex care patients. I advanced my communication strategies with the patients and their families. Next, I practiced comprehensive assessments and right documentation related to patients’ admissions, transfer and discharge plans. Also, I observed, practiced and developed good team and interdisciplinary communication that created a colleagues support system while maintaining patients progress as well as the correct addressing of issues. I would say the care unit was a nice place of sharing and support that allowed me to enjoy and develop well. However, due to the acute setting and shortness of professional staff, it was occasionally a stressful environment with a heavy workload. – less
good place to work
Emergency Nurse (Current Employee), toronto/northyorkDecember 20, 2013
Pros: to give excellent care
Cons: not being able to get the job done on a timely manner
very busy,excellent work environment.supportive staff,excellent team effort.
learn how to give exemplary care to patients and families.
management makes effort to accommodate and make their staff happy.Co-workers great team players,makes all effort to be professional and to do their best at all times.
the hardest part of the job is to coop with the – more... overflow in the department.
Most enjoyable part of the job is to see clients satisfied and happy,also to be successful in being therapeutic. – less
Friendly team memebers
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee), toronto, onNovember 22, 2013
Pros: variety of situations and clients are presented to you.
Cons: none i can think of
it was very hectic for me working in the emergency team, just due to the fact that I was a recent grad. However, I learned a lot during that time frame.
Micro Management and Poor Quality Care for those who Need it Most
Corp (Former Employee), All locationsNovember 18, 2013
Pros: having a job
Cons: working in a hospital you would not want to be treated in.
This organization is the worst hospital I have ever worked at. This is what happens when senior leadership have been at a hospital way beyond their time. Day to day micro-management and total control are their focus.

With each dismissive "STOP" [ie. stop talking - I am not interested in anything you have to say]...or giving you the hand in your face – more... and the "STOP"...they create a dysfunctional climate of fear among for those below.

Their focus fixated on the little picture while money is wasted by those most entrusted to preserve it....

Each day code blue's ring out at an alarming rate while emergency response teams saunter to the location...I can only guess they figure the person is going to die anyways...why run when you can walk.

I hated working there. I feel bad for the people who have to go there to get treated.

These poor people who have to access services from this hospital deserve better. Taxpayers deserve better.

We all deserve better than Humber River Hospital.

No new building will fix this dysfunction. – less
Good team to work
Medical Laboratory Technician- Placement (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: great staffs
Cons: difficult patients
Working at Humber River Regional Hospital has given me the opportunity working with great people and experience to work in a diverse environment with a full spectrum of different patients.

Typical day working at this hospital is hectic. People come in and go. But the staffs here are great and they make you feel like you belong and can tackle whatever – more... comes through the door. The managements are always helpful and they're very attention to details (it's a must have when working in a hospital and dealing with a lot of patients).

The hardest part of the job are the loads of work that need to get done on such a small time frame. It may be hectic but the staffs make it enjoyable to work. – less
busy emergency room
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Willowdale, OntarioJuly 12, 2013
worked 12 hour shifts in the emergency room
worked with IT to assist in building and teaching a new EMR system
Fun workplace, gain a lot of experience.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 1, 2013
I really enjoyed working here. There was a lot of interaction with patients and you could work with nurses as well. It was a great way to realize what you're getting into entering the medical field.
For theshort time that i've worked here I was able to learn a lot of skills that are relevant to my field.
Caregiver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2013
Working at Humber River is something that you look forward to. I learned a lot of skills when I worked here. The staffs are very accommodating and ver helpful.
productive and a good place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Finch SiteMarch 14, 2013
Pros: free snacks from tim horton's
My experience as a volunteer in Humber River Hospital was very exciting. Since it was my first hospital care setting i was able to familiarize the work of a medical administration assistant. I was able to work with three areas in 4th floor and be of help with the secretaries/admin asst. It was a learning experience because they were very helpful to – more... me and they give me some tips and insights as well on how to work in the hospital. – less
Good atmosphere work well with co-workers
assist visitors and patients (Current Employee), 200 Church SiteFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: love helping people
Cons: would love to work for the hospital as a paid employee
I work at the Information Desk as a Volunteer 2x a week.
I retrieve the Patient List for Locating, log on to Meditech 6 in the computer.
Answer all incoming call.
Direct and assist patients to clinics such as Fracture, Endoscopy etc.
Productive workplace
Environmental Aide (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2013
Its a very fast-paced environment, challenging, my co-workers and I work very hard as a team.
ok place to work more stability needed.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), toronto,ontarioJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: great team
Cons: not enough hours
great team of nurses to work with.
most enjoyable part of the job is providing care for newborns and the families
A productive and fun place to work with a table tennis board an exercise bike and a fooseball table
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2012
Pros: is the scheduling breaks that reduces the monotony of the job
Cons: the long hours but the cohesiveness of the team and team work reduces the monotony of the job
It is indeed a pleasure working at the establishment. I really enjoyed my shift at this hospital. The shift are long, but the team is very professional and the respect I received base on my knowledge makes me feel part of the team even though I am only a casual worker. I am kept up to date with everything that happens on the unit and the hospital.This – more... speaks volumns to the managerial skills of this particular manager that is responsible for the operational needs of the Child and Adolescent Unit. The hardest part of my job is counselling patients and trying to change their negative thinking to a positive, because I am not there on a regular basis. What I do admire while on my shift is the confidence of the team and the structure of the program along with the cohesiveness of the team. The planning that goes into each shift where each staff has an imput and the respect that is given to each individual opinions. The most enjojable part of my job is the scheduling and program structure that allowed me the necessary time to complete my progress note in a timely manner on the patient that are transferred into my care. – less
fun and exciting place to build a carrier
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), North York, ON Finch/Church siteOctober 23, 2012
Pros: emergency wait time is a little to long
Cons: staff are very good at what there do.
humber river regional hospital is a great place to have a carrier staff are very professional and accomerdating, I will love to be employed with the organization again.

Yours Sincerely.