Humber River Regional Hospital Employee Reviews

Very friendly and caring environment.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
Volunteering at Humber River Hospital has opened my eyes to many different roles and duties within the hospital environment. Both patients and staff were very welcoming and appreciative towards the abundance of volunteers circulating throughout the summer as well as year round. The volunteer services management is very organized. Volunteers are expected to clock in and clock out before and after every shift just like a regular paying job would. I have learned to expertly file patient lists, attend to patients' needs and assist the nurses in non- medical tasks.
Pros
free drinks, exposure to the medical environment
Productive and hard working.
Registered Nurse (Cardiology) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
I have learned that each work day is a chance to embrace new learning experiences. Working in acute health care settings for 2 years, has allowed me to work under high pressure and develop strong communication and leadership skills.
Pros
Strong commuinication, time management, leadership skills, strong computer and verbal comprehension
I love badminton and swiming
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  TORONTO ONTARIOApril 30, 2016
I love whatever job I do. This is because I do them willingly and accept corrections whenever it is given. I learn to be patience with slow workers and complete any un- done work by my team mates not minding. My job placement area can testify to my hard work, tirelessness and efforts to do all assigned work properly.
Pros
N/A
Cons
9PM TO 6AM AND 9AM TO 9PM
Bad reputation
Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 10, 2016
This hospital has a reputation for uncaring staff , and it is true. It is not considered a professional hospital. Managers threaten nurses and insult nurses.
benefits
Cons
managers are narcissists
Exciting and a fast-paced environment
Clerical Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2015
Constant learning of medical conditions, managing and updating patient records and lab work. Time management and prioritizing tasks are crucial skills to horn in this environment, where time frames with patient care are stressed.
First clinical practicum
Registered Practical Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON (Church Site)February 27, 2015
I spent my second semester of practical nursing school in the Acute Medicine Unit of Humber River's Church site. This is where I learned my basic physical assessment skills and assisted clients with ADLs and self-care.

The hardest part of the job was that it was very physically demanding as many patients were bariatric patients.

The most enjoyable part was learning about what nursing would be like - it was a welcome challenge.
Pros
excitement of first nursing experiences
Cons
physically demanding unit
Learning and indusive environment.
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, CanadaOctober 26, 2014
Challenging work environment, yet very learning and stimulating environment. great co-workers and fantastic teamwork. lot to learn everyday. I love the memories and experiences I acquired there.
Pros
learning and stimulating environment.
Cons
no income.
Productive and Safe place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  North York, ONOctober 2, 2014
If you have an interest in the health care field perfect to apply.
Operating Room Technician
Operating Room Technician (Current Employee) –  EtobicokeOctober 2, 2014
A Typical day would be dealing hands on with specific O.R Instruments, equipment and procedures. Running daily maintenance on all Sterrad Systems and Biological Indicators. Setting up of all O.R surgeries and equipment. Restock of all Anesthetic products and Working along side Surgeons and Nurses with invasive procedures. Has allowed to think critically, work hands on with surgeons and nurses and apply all my skills in order to run a safe and sterile environment. Great management team. Hardest part of this job, is to be able to access a procedure and determine to proper instruments that are required to complete the task. Most enjoyable part is to be able to gain continual knowledge on all invasive procedures.
benefits
Cons
shift work
A place where you can gain much experience in customer service and conflict management.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North York, ONSeptember 7, 2014
Customers and staff at the hospital are fairly cooperative and easy to work with. Technical issues such as parking machines and server issues are manageable and easy to fix. Management is always made available to me for any concerns or questions. A lot of the time you are working independently and a lot of decisions are made by your own best judgement. The hardest part of the job is not being able to find an actual solution to a customer's problem and seeking advice from management when they aren't available. The most enjoyable part of the job are the benefits the company gives to full-time employees.
Productive workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 9, 2014
Everyone is friendly and the management is great! My co-workers were very supportive and made me look forward to be volunteering there.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
when it gets really quiet
Awesome staff!
Child and Adolescent Therapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2014
As a child and youth therapist my days would run from 9-5 pm. Each day would be very different depending on the patient's that I would be seeing. Before commencing any work with a child I would conduct an assessment (psycho-social as required by Humber) with the patient and family. From this assessment I would be able to make a treatment plan that the child's parents would know and it would be run by the child's psychiatrist and other team of care.

Each week I would meet with the patients' team of care to determine the efficiency of the treatment plan.
A fast paced environment and great experienced
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 5, 2014
My typical day in a Health Care setting started with established procedures. I got my assessment, listened to the morning’s reports and worked efficiently during the day while caring for my patients, researching the clinical setting, and doing my documentation. It was an acute and fast paced environment where I had to be constantly alert and ready for critical thinking and problem solving. I was ready to gain knowledge and skills as well as help others. I evaluated my knowledge, skills and personal qualities in relationship to the patients, families, health team and interdisciplinary professionals. For example, I used my time efficiently to perform patient morning care, V/S checking, physical and physiological assessment, feeding, medication, bed-bathing and documentation. By managing my time well, I was welcome to assist team members and strengthen and gain farther knowledge and skills. For example, I advanced my skills in wound care managing, suctioning, catheterisation, Blood sugar monitoring, Intramuscular injection, intravenous therapy and blood transfusion. Also, from the team I learned the specific care; management and interventions related to cardiac, pulmonary and complex care patients. I advanced my communication strategies with the patients and their families. Next, I practiced comprehensive assessments and right documentation related to patients’ admissions, transfer and discharge plans. Also, I observed, practiced and developed good team and interdisciplinary communication that created a colleagues support system while maintaining patients progress as well as the  more... correct addressing of issues. I would say the care unit was a nice place of sharing and support that allowed me to enjoy and develop well. However, due to the acute setting and shortness of professional staff, it was occasionally a stressful environment with a heavy workload.  less
good place to work
Emergency Nurse (Current Employee) –  toronto/northyorkDecember 20, 2013
very busy,excellent work environment.supportive staff,excellent team effort.
learn how to give exemplary care to patients and families.
management makes effort to accommodate and make their staff happy.Co-workers great team players,makes all effort to be professional and to do their best at all times.
the hardest part of the job is to coop with the overflow in the department.
Most enjoyable part of the job is to see clients satisfied and happy,also to be successful in being therapeutic.
Pros
to give excellent care
Cons
not being able to get the job done on a timely manner
Friendly team memebers
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  toronto, onNovember 22, 2013
it was very hectic for me working in the emergency team, just due to the fact that I was a recent grad. However, I learned a lot during that time frame.
Pros
variety of situations and clients are presented to you.
Cons
none i can think of
Micro Management and Poor Quality Care for those who Need it Most
Corp (Former Employee) –  All locationsNovember 18, 2013
This organization is the worst hospital I have ever worked at. This is what happens when senior leadership have been at a hospital way beyond their time. Day to day micro-management and total control are their focus.

With each dismissive "STOP" [ie. stop talking - I am not interested in anything you have to say]...or giving you the hand in your face and the "STOP"...they create a dysfunctional climate of fear among for those below.

Their focus fixated on the little picture while money is wasted by those most entrusted to preserve it....

Each day code blue's ring out at an alarming rate while emergency response teams saunter to the location...I can only guess they figure the person is going to die anyways...why run when you can walk.

I hated working there. I feel bad for the people who have to go there to get treated.

These poor people who have to access services from this hospital deserve better. Taxpayers deserve better.

We all deserve better than Humber River Hospital.

No new building will fix this dysfunction.
Pros
having a job
Cons
working in a hospital you would not want to be treated in.
Good team to work
Medical Laboratory Technician- Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Working at Humber River Regional Hospital has given me the opportunity working with great people and experience to work in a diverse environment with a full spectrum of different patients.

Typical day working at this hospital is hectic. People come in and go. But the staffs here are great and they make you feel like you belong and can tackle whatever comes through the door. The managements are always helpful and they're very attention to details (it's a must have when working in a hospital and dealing with a lot of patients).

The hardest part of the job are the loads of work that need to get done on such a small time frame. It may be hectic but the staffs make it enjoyable to work.
Pros
great staffs
Cons
difficult patients
Wonderful staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  TorontoAugust 17, 2013
Fast paced, hard working co-workers make it a fun place to pass 12 hours. Most difficult part of the job is watching a patient die knowing we had done our best.
Pros
motivating to work with the staff.
busy emergency room
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Willowdale, OntarioJuly 12, 2013
worked 12 hour shifts in the emergency room
worked with IT to assist in building and teaching a new EMR system
Fun workplace, gain a lot of experience.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 1, 2013
I really enjoyed working here. There was a lot of interaction with patients and you could work with nurses as well. It was a great way to realize what you're getting into entering the medical field.

4.2