Humber College Employee Reviews

Esthetician Co-op Placement
ESTHETICIAN (CO-OP PLACEMENT) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 22, 2014
The co-op placement was a mandatory course within my program. Experiencing being an esthetician has helped me gain confidence in working with a diversity of people. Ranging from offering and performing services to working at the reception area gave me an idea of how it would be like to work in those field of areas. I really enjoyed getting to interact and driving retail sales as I got to share my experience of using my favorites products from Dermalogica with my clients. Working at the Humber Spa allowed me to build my clientele and meet all sorts of people that I will experience facing with if I were to work at an actual spa. A typical day at work would be performing services for clients, interacting with them, and selling products. The course also offered an experience of being a manager for the day. That experience gave me a quick learning and idea of what it would be like to be in charge and taking leadership. I also got to experience working at the front line where I got to practice using the Point of Sale system, picking up phone calls, booking appointments, etc. The hardest part of job at first was dealing with clients who would constantly come in late, but still having to complete the services on time. This taught me to compromise more by doing multiple things at once. For example, if I were to perform a facial, I would put the masque on my client and perform a massage at the same time rather than performing two things at a separate time, or using my time wisely by putting more time on targeting the client's concern and leaving less time with the less concerns. The most  more... enjoyable part of the job was getting to see my clients leave with a happy smile/satisfaction. That showed me that I did a job well done and that would give me extra energy or a boost of confidence for my next service. I also really enjoyed the overall experience of the work environment, the people that I got to work with, and especially my clients.  less
Pros
performing services, managerial experiences, retail sales
Cons
no break times
The staff you work with are great but much is expected of your own time. Rates do not include the bulk of the work done to mark students.
Industrial Design Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Unfortunately my opinion of schooling in North America isn't very good. Having taught at Humber, OCAD and George Brown I can say that too much emphasis has been placed on making money from students. In Sweden where I did my masters they have a much healthier model whereby the industry and government fund schools that only take as many students as the industry can accept and consequently can be much more stringent with the entrance requirements. This is much better for the economy and reputation of the schools, not to mention the benefits students experience. Students can spend time learning and not working several jobs to pay for the ever climbing student fees. Efforts to augment the experience with outside sponsored projects are only worsening the situations as the students might get a couple of thousand in prize money which devalues the student and uses the teacher as a cheap consultant.

As for the Staff at Humber College. They are a mix bag, with some very talented and dedicated people who do the best with the system they exist within.
Pros
the staff dining room is quite good and private, with the staff being all very friendly.
Cons
the upper echelon have policies that limit ones ability to raise the standard, it is very hard to fail a student.
Humber College helps me growing
Workshop Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
My experience at Humber College is not only the one of a student, but also the one of a worker.
As a full-time student I need to attend to class, complete tests and assignments, and learn how to become a respectable Electronics Engineering Technologist.
As a worker instead, I need to coop with different situations that include the management of a small class of students and helping in the processing of international applications.

A typical day at work involves different tasks from meetings with co-workers to data entry in the college's database.
I like being able to accomplish a variety of tasks, so that I never get tired of what I am doing. In addition, this experience is helping me enhancing my time management skills.

It is not easy meeting deadlines and coordinating the different activities that I involved in. For example, a typical Wednesday includes working in the International Centre Office, going to classes and facilitating a workshop session.
Despite the difficulties, I am enjoying my life. Classmate and co-workers are friendly and kind. Disagreements are resolved within small discussions thank to tolerance and understanding of different perspectives. Furthermore, I am happy to be able to help other students with getting to know the college environment.
Pros
everyting
Cons
nothing
Institution with a strong commitment to their personal and professional development
Purchasing and Shipping Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2013
At Humber College's International Centre I am using my analytical and advanced data management skills to identify cost-savings opportunities and improve our overall performance.

I enjoy making the office more productive and I like the fact that my supervisor is always open to new ideas or suggestions.

In my position I have enhanced my presentation skills. I frequently requested to prepare reports and these have to accompanied with a clear and concise explanation that proves how the data is reliable and updated.

The hardest part of my job would be shipping tons of printed materials and promo items to student fairs overseas in a short period of time. However, once I am done I really enjoy watching how all the boxes arrive on-time to be used by the managers in charge of each market.
Pros
opportunity to continue my educaion at humber college
Cons
part-time position, not entirely my field of study
Great Learning Experience!
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2012
The Humber College International Centre was a great learning experience, we had a lot of fun and I had the opportunity to meet many amazing culturally diverse people.
All of my coworkers were international students, whom had many great stories and brought a lot to our team.
I learned how to fill out international application forms, enter personal information onto our computer system and access personal information and grades.
Management was not the best, this was the downfall of this office, they did not spend full days in the office and we received very little training.
The hardest part of my job wasn't really hard at all, more time consuming and repetitive; this way inputting all of the student information from their forms for their health coverage into the computer system as it had to be done one at a time and we had over 7,000 students.
Pros
interaction with the students
Cons
repetitive
Fun and cooperative enviornment to work.
International Student Ambassador/ Junior Officer (Current Employee) –  International OfficeJuly 25, 2012
My experience working in Humber college has been a very helpful tool in building my skills to excellent and has made me full grown confident personality.I have learnt all the keypoints for customer service,administrative and all clerical work.I have been confident in event planning,logistics,presentations,organising tours and events.I have been considered as Hard worker,punctual,organised candidate.My work has been always appreciated by my colleagues and coworkers.I have very good reputation with my coworkers.I love interacting with people so my job has big part of interacting with students and visitors with their anytype of query.I love my job as Humber has not only made me educationally confident n=but made me confident in every aspect of my personality.
Pros
friendly enviornment
Fast Paced and Friendly Environment
Computer Lab Assistant Technician (Former Employee) –  Humber CollegeMay 16, 2015
As a Lab Technician I had several responsabilities involving the hardware and software equipment of the area, which included instructing proper use of them when required, fixing any problems that occurred, reporting those problems via making tickets on the Track-It platform and maintaining the equipment.

The environment was great, full of friendly co-workers, responsive management that would adapt to our needs as students, and great installations. I learned how to explain problems to non-technical people as well as how to solve technical problems such as network troubleshooting, hardware issues, and specific software problems.

Overall it was a great experience to work there.
Pros
Flexible schedule, location
Cons
No free lunches
Has peak times of being busy, but more often than not it's slow
Film and Media Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2013
I have been a contract employee with Humber College since 2008. I did 15 months in the Recruitment and Liaising Office, and after that I started working for The School Of Media Studies. I have gone from 40 hours a week, to 37.5, and for the last 3 years I have been capped at 24 hours/week. As a contract employee I have no benefits.

I have stuck around for as long as I have because although I am at part time hours I have been able to sustain a manageable living, and the people I work with, for the most part are great.

It has been made clear to my however, that there is no room for advancement in my job.
Productive and fun environment. Student interactions were very rewarding
Lab Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2013
In this position I typically cleaned the computer labs, provided technical support, and helped students with software and computer troubleshooting. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and built a great rapport with them. The hardest part of the job was serving students at the beginning of the semester and making sure that I had an adequate amount of item to serve everyone's individual needs, as well as provide classroom support. The most enjoyable part of the job was building lasting relationships with my co-workers, managers, and other students.
Positive working experiece
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2013
As a peer tutor, the obstacle was mostly in time management: between my own courses and the need to incorporated the student learners needs.

As a peer tutor, I learned different techniques in working with others and I gained a better knowledge of my limits and capabilities in mentoring, organizing and preparing for each session.

The most enjoyable portion of the job was in the indirect satisfaction obtained by the news from the student that, with my assistance, they were able to achieve their goal and a better understanding of the software used (AutoCAD and Revit)
Challenging work with an emphasis on independence
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 21, 2015
This job requires its employees to be able to work independently, as it is the tutors job to get in touch with students, plan meetings, and decide how best to produce academic success in student learners. A difficult part of this job is to maintain an attitude of patience and encouragement throughout every tutoring session, as this is very important in encouraging student success. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that you are making a significant difference in someones life.
Pros
Flexible hours
Great Place with freedom to learn
Client Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioAugust 5, 2015
My experience working at humber college as a client service agent/I.T support technician was great place. I got to see several new technology and work with them on a daily basis and trouble shoot many of them. I always had to chance to try new things. Reccommend things on a personal level where i didn't have to restrict myself into teach new things to clients
Pros
Freedom to learn and teach
Cons
Budget cuts
Fun work place and meeting new people
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2014
* Every morning we come in and set up the gifts for the people who visits Humber
*I learned Leadership which was my role to take Highschool and Middle school kids to take around college and talk about courses
* My co-workers were also student just like me
*Hard part was to wait for the guest
*Easy part was it was in Campus i didnot had to go any where
Pros
free lunch
Cons
tempoerary
Laid Back Atmosphere
Librarian's Assistant (Current Employee) –  EtobicokeJanuary 9, 2014
Working at the library is enjoyable because of every aspect of the place. The co-workers are friendly and always available to help with shift coverage when needed. The bosses are understanding and helpful to deal with any situation and anything that needs assistance with.
Pros
easy shift coverage, availability to change shifts.
Cons
short hours, lack of shifts at times.
Fun and Productive Workplace
Mailroom Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 3, 2013
I learned a lot about different cultures, and different age ranges of people.

The management was exceptional..except for one manager who was generally disliked because of his arrogant attitude. He was the only exception.

Hardest part was manual labour and the most enjoyable part was socializing with all departments.
Pros
the people
Cons
early mornings
Professional establsihment with a great staff to work with
Technical Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 3, 2013
Although the security could be more stringent on the network, I know the reason they went in that direction. Nonetheless, a very reasonable place to work for and the IT staff were very professional in every manner.

Would love to work there on a full time basis.
Pros
close to where i live. fun environment.
Cons
contract
I really enjoyed working at Humber College. Its been a really good experience overall.
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2014
I really like working as a peer tutor because it helps me too in understanding a lot of concepts. Management is really good. Co-workers are really helpful. the hardest thing is to meet one's requirements like their particular teaching style. I learn something new everyday.
Pros
free lunch someimes
Great place to work!
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2015
Humber College provided a health work environment to allow for creative expression, and growth. The staff are very friendly and always ready to help. Humber provides great training and social support for its employees. Several opportunities for growth and development.
Pros
great people, friendly enviroment
Cons
not enough hours, lack of career advancement
Very respectable and good place to work
Maintenance Worker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 5, 2014
Starting off buy going to different work orders depending on what is suggested and fixing things.i learned many things such as fixing toilets,fixing electrical work,building automation,fixing exhaust fans and spraying dampers,etc.
Pros
fixing mechanical systems
Cons
not doing anything when it's raining
A lot of course descriptions in college calendar to read and learn.
Continuing Education, Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2013
Opening the Continuing Education office and computer applications I learned how to make time management more flexible for myself. My co-workers were friendly. It was all enjoyable work related conversations.
Pros
i can learn while working.
Cons
i had to over multi-tusk.

4.5