POSITION TITLE: Director, Communications
ORGANIZATION NAME: Human Resources Institute of Alberta (HRIA)
LOCATION: Calgary, AB
The HRIA is a professional association committed to supporting HR practitioners by promoting the value of certification and best practices in human resources management. Providing services to over 5,800 members in the province of Alberta, the HRIA is a member organization on the Canadian Council of Human Resources Associations (CCHRA). To support our organization’s growth and new strategic direction we are seeking a Director, Communications to provide strategic leadership in our marketing and communications area.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director Communications is a key influencer and participant in the leadership team of the organization. Most communicators dream of being “at the table” and this is your opportunity to truly be there!
In addition to developing strategic communications plans, the Director has a strong personal role in championing the Certified Human Resources Professional brand and providing advice and counsel to the Executive Director and the Board. The Director will lead all internal and external marketing and communications initiatives, and sustain relationships with key stakeholders and strategic partners. The Director is also responsible for maintaining relationships with key media organizations and acting as a spokesperson for the HRIA as necessary.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Champion the association’s overall communication strategy, both internally and externally.
- Collaborate with the business units on maximizing marketing and communications to internal and external audiences.
- Lead the strategic planning of marketing and communications to deliver on all branding, public relations, and media communications activities.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Expertise – 8-10 years of experience culminating in a senior marketing and communications role; a degree in communications (or directly related degree) plus a professional accreditation are also highly desirable. Focused marketing communications expertise and/or experience communicating with a similar professional association, or member driven organization.
- Communication - Must possess excellent influencing, negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills, ensuring outcomes are the highest quality deliverables. Evidence of strategic communications planning with a clear eye on business goals.
- Leadership - Proven leadership experience to engage a team and manage day to day activities. Demonstrated influencing skills in providing advice and counsel to senior leaders.
- Competencies and Style - Collaborative, proactive, outgoing and practical. A proven creative problem solver with demonstrated analytical skills and the ability to adapt quickly to various situations while adhering to multiple daily deadlines. Well-developed political acumen, able to respond appropriately in a multi-stakeholder environment with a collaborative approach and an understanding of all of the communications tools (including new media) available to professionals.
WHAT YOU SHOULD EXPECT:
- The Organization - Growing rapidly through a period of significant change; innovative and adaptable to our changing role with multiple stakeholders.
- The Role - Lead two staff in the Marketing and Communication team; accountable for all marketing spending; steer and define the overall marketing strategy by seeing the “big picture”.
- The People - A small dedicated team of 15 focused on driving the association forward; reports to the Executive Director.
START DATE: Immediately
ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN APPLICATION: Resume / Cover Letter
HOW TO APPLY: Please respond to this post, listing the position title in the subject line, and attach your resume for review.
CONTACT NAME: Reena Sharma
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: December 1st, 2013
If you feel that you are uniquely qualified for this position please respond to this post, listing the position title in the subject line, and attach your resume for review.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those who most closely match HRIA’s requirements will be contacted.
All information submitted to Salopek & Associates remains in strict confidence.
Salopek & Associates Ltd. is a team of human resource and business consultants specializing in strategy, human resources and board governance. We are available on an on-call basis to help you attract, retain and develop the right people and to put effective processes in place that will grow your business.
For more information on Salopek & Associates please visit our company website: www.salopekconsulting.com
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.