Hudson's Bay

Hudson's Bay Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyable
Sales associate (Former Employee), Vancouver BCJuly 12, 2015
Pros: short hours
Cons: seasonal job offering
A typical day consisted of folding/ stocking and organizing clothes, as well as helping costumers with any concerns they had. I have learned to be more confident as many customers will need help and so therefore more practice is presented.
Enjoyed travelling
Menswear Sales Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2015
Pros: free gifts
Cons: long hours
Team Lead of Fragrance
Organize materials working with
Organize team
Be professional
Have Fun
Chanel gave great training on how to sell, the ingredients, the company ethics.
long hours, on contract, not permanent
Fun workplace, great co-workers, loving environment
sales associate in fragrance (Former Employee), BramptonJune 9, 2015
Pros: Great Co-workers
Cons: long hours
Working at the Hudson Bay was truly an honour, everyday was a fun experience, the co-workers are extremely friendly, and make the environment enjoyable.
Mixed Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, ONMay 27, 2015
-Sometimes can be extremely busy or extremely slow
-Lots of things to do while working
-Interaction and assisting customers is enjoyable
Worked for HBC seasonal - you decide
Personal (Former Employee), CanadaMay 23, 2015
Pros: excellent co -workers
Cons: Read review in detail.
Lots of hype given its a heritage name. Supremely understaffed due to head office and their 'view' ? Company makes money, so why change anything? Turn over is HUGE. *** NO TRAINING*** You are at the mercy of co-workers.That being said, the culture is fun because co-workers are usually great. Most managers are great too...the issue ? They have to make it all look seamless and put on a brave face when they know too well that their employees are working in a less than standard environment for very poor pay. They have a certain amount of hours each dept. / allotted pay scales, etc and no matter how great you are, no matter how competent or deep your selling skills ..don't expect to rise up or rise in pay, unless you want to hang in there long enough so that by default you become a manager. and you will , if you hang in there a few years, because sooner or later people just move along because most cannot afford to work there unless a student or retired. the other kicker ? If you leave ONE store at a certain pay rate and get Hired by a different store.. they won't match the pay you left at no matter how exemplary your record. Sign-age is a nightmare over all and constantly angers shoppers... You are left alone time and time again with only one or two people on an floor unless A holiday... And, where else but such an 'upscale' retail store can you purchase hundreds of dollars of items and they don't have boxes or tissue? Head office has not yet figured out that the reason they do so well is because they have such exceptional employees and its sad they'd rather let the best – more... of the best go ...and hire a newbie and start all over again, than pay out an extra .50 raise.
Their "online" sales are soaring , so surely they'll sustain and given their reputation from the past, they keep hanging in there with customers who are thrilled to have some semblance of service and employees who are competent. but far as working ...be prepared for hours / shifts that are silly and cut into your life. Also be prepared to have a thick skin regarding the NO training method. AND..most importantly, whether young or old, the FLOORS are brutal. you will need SERIOUSLY good footwear or you will not make it. Oh, and ..hopefully you like to wear BLACK alot too. One last thing. Just because you are hired at this company does not mean they have hours to offer you. Unfortunately its legal for them to do this. Make sure you ask in advance. – less
sale watches
Sales Associate (Former Employee), downtown, torontoMay 20, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: competitive
show watches from cabinet and tell customers about the product you are showing. tasks include: making sales, returns, credit card applications, credit card payments, count cash in registers
Great brands to work with and continuously growing
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), TorontoMay 6, 2015
Exciting time to work with HBC. A lot has changed and Still changing. they are re inventing the brand an it's very amazing to see. the environment is sales driven and competitive. they are flexible with hours.
Good working environment,and work culture was awsome
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 29, 2015
I am working here as a Sales Associate from 2014.Here my work involves dealing with customers helping them for their purchase and answering their queries through phone.
Menswear sales associate
Sales associate (Current Employee), YorkdaleApril 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Repetitive work
A typical day at my part time job would be working with 2-6 other sales associates in my immediate department. I assist customers with sizes and fashion advice, for example find them outfits that they may need for a special occasion or just everyday apparel. I have sales targets that I am required to achieve, as well as encouraging customers to apply for the store credit card. At the end of my shift I am held accountable for counting the cash in the register, closing it, and depositing the money to the main office. I must also recover my area by making sure the clothes are folded and organized. The hardest part of my job is getting customers to apply for the store credit card because a lot of people are skeptical about signing up. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to talk to new people every shift I have and building relationships with them so when they return they know they can depend on me for fashion advice and great service. For the most part I enjoy working with the menswear team, even when it may be difficult to get along with management I still respect them and make the most out of every situation.
For Students Great Place To Work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
Pros: Proffessional retail environment
Cons: Strict Procedures
- Would come in every afternoon 5 days a week after school
- I learned how to handle the cashier in an efficient way to proceed with customer transactons (ie, returns, processing payment)
- Management was very supportive and informative
- My co-workers were some of the most positive individuals on the floor I worked on, any time I did not know how to do something they would give me the best advice
- The hardest part of the job was the cash count because there are procedures which one has to follow strictly every night at closing
- The most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with the people
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 12, 2015
I loved my job at Hudson's bay because i loved how excited people were when they came to pay the things they wanted to buy from long time ago.. and how people used to tell me how they love the things they buy from there
Great environment.
Fragrance Specialist (Current Employee), MisssissaugaMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Working with the public.
Cons: I feel I need new challenges.
I love working with the public and providing customer service.
The managers are very supportive and I have an excellent relationship with my co-workers. I feel that I am ready for a change and look forward to growing and being faced with new challenges and opportunities.
Very awful place to work at
former employee (Former Employee), metrotownMarch 24, 2015
Pros: very nice employees
Cons: horrible managers except one or 2 . GM doesn't know what to do
Awful place to have a job in it especially Metrotown location . Most of the managers abusing and bullying you after that they just deny that . They use the employees as something to protect themselves from the head office . Not experienced at all . So u have to be the victim there .
Great co-workers and customers but terrible management...
customer service clerk (Former Employee), sherway, the west mallMarch 21, 2015
Pros: the other employees that are on the same level and the customers
Cons: management is terrible, giving hours to employees that are junior to you, the pay is terrible, no raises, no chance for advancements, no support from management
working at the bay was a good place to help customers with fashion and house and home items...the employees that worked on the same level are hard workers where management do not appreciate..
the hardest part of the job is watching management give hours to someone who is your junior to you, that is not fair...management is not very supportive...the customers and the co-workers that are not in management was the best part of working at the bay...promises from management are never followed threw...
Terrible Management and Structure
Sales Associate (Former Employee), ottawaMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: awful management, no training, under staffed, aggressive/bullying tactics used to enforce sales and ics
It doesn't really matter if you are great with customers, truly helpful and encourage customers to come back. You are only valued by the number of credit cards you can able to harass customers into opening.

There is no work life balance, requested days off are hardly ever giving by management even if other staff members are willing to cover them.

Availability is also hardly respected.

Expect to learn cash, products, policies and procedures on your own. There is NO training provided by management and there is not extra staffing when a new associate is hired to help them learn. Thrown into the shark tank on your own.

Need to call a manager for help with a difficult customer or complicated transaction? Good look getting a hold of one, and if you do, they probably can't help and will only suggest you ask another associate.

If you are a commissioned sales associate, you will be constantly scrutinized over your sales and because of this staff members fight over sales, making for a hostile work environment.

Only thing good about this place is that it forces you to rely on your other associates for help and you form amazing bonds.
High stress environment
Counter Manager - Biotherm Skin Care (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 2, 2015
Pros: lots of learning, great coworkers
Cons: inaccessible upper management, cliques, no job security
I learned a lot about sales and a companies goals and procedures. However the basic culture was a highly stressed environment where anyone could get fired at any time. I did not feel appreciated and was not given any training .
Loss Prevention in a busy downtown location in Calgary
LOSS PREVENTION OFFICER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: low pay and occasional violence
Location had an excellent security apparatus in place. Was a high paced and exciting place to work.

Were very willing to aid employees in career development.
good
E-commerce Processor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Great company, very good team and a great experience in terms of learning. i would love to work with them again in the future
Enjoyable place to work
System Coordinator (Former Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Self efficient
Good schedule
Great co-workers
Amazing management team
Fun and relax work environment
Always something new to do
Not the best workplace
Sales Associate (Shoes & Lingerie) (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: good learning experience for sales and customer service, you get hbc points for selling instant credits
Cons: understaffed, managers aren't always helpful, some people will try to steal your sales, lousy shifts, management only cares about how much ics you sell
It's almost always busy so time goes by quickly, however, when I started out as a new employee, there was no guidance or much training, so you need to learn everything on your own. I gained a lot of experience from working in different departments and helping out different customers find what they're looking for, solve their issues, etc. I will say, like any sales job, you are expected to fulfill your target sales and selling instant credits. I usually didn't have an issue with this, but there were some slow days (and it didn't help when I was given measly 3 hour shifts) and some co-workers will try and steal your sales. Unfortunately, your sales will determine your shifts - if you don't fulfill or exceed, you might not receive much hours to work. For the most part, I got along with everyone and since I can multi-task and work quickly, helping multiple customers at once wasn't too much of an issue for me.

1 2 3

About Hudson's Bay

The most exciting time to be at Hudson's Bay is NOW. Featuring The Room, the White Space and TOPSHOP TOPMAN Canada, Hudson's Bay – Read more