Hudson's Bay

Hudson's Bay Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Worked for HBC seasonal - you decide
Personal (Former Employee), CanadaMay 23, 2015
Pros: excellent co -workers
Cons: Read review in detail.
Lots of hype given its a heritage name. Supremely understaffed due to head office and their 'view' ? Company makes money, so why change anything? Turn over is HUGE. *** NO TRAINING*** You are at the mercy of co-workers.That being said, the culture is fun because co-workers are usually great. Most managers are great too...the issue ? They have to make it all look seamless and put on a brave face when they know too well that their employees are working in a less than standard environment for very poor pay. They have a certain amount of hours each dept. / allotted pay scales, etc and no matter how great you are, no matter how competent or deep your selling skills ..don't expect to rise up or rise in pay, unless you want to hang in there long enough so that by default you become a manager. and you will , if you hang in there a few years, because sooner or later people just move along because most cannot afford to work there unless a student or retired. the other kicker ? If you leave ONE store at a certain pay rate and get Hired by a different store.. they won't match the pay you left at no matter how exemplary your record. Sign-age is a nightmare over all and constantly angers shoppers... You are left alone time and time again with only one or two people on an floor unless A holiday... And, where else but such an 'upscale' retail store can you purchase hundreds of dollars of items and they don't have boxes or tissue? Head office has not yet figured out that the reason they do so well is because they have such exceptional employees and its sad they'd rather let the best – more... of the best go ...and hire a newbie and start all over again, than pay out an extra .50 raise.
Their "online" sales are soaring , so surely they'll sustain and given their reputation from the past, they keep hanging in there with customers who are thrilled to have some semblance of service and employees who are competent. but far as working ...be prepared for hours / shifts that are silly and cut into your life. Also be prepared to have a thick skin regarding the NO training method. AND..most importantly, whether young or old, the FLOORS are brutal. you will need SERIOUSLY good footwear or you will not make it. Oh, and ..hopefully you like to wear BLACK alot too. One last thing. Just because you are hired at this company does not mean they have hours to offer you. Unfortunately its legal for them to do this. Make sure you ask in advance. – less
Not the best workplace
Sales Associate (Shoes & Lingerie) (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: good learning experience for sales and customer service, you get hbc points for selling instant credits
Cons: understaffed, managers aren't always helpful, some people will try to steal your sales, lousy shifts, management only cares about how much ics you sell
It's almost always busy so time goes by quickly, however, when I started out as a new employee, there was no guidance or much training, so you need to learn everything on your own. I gained a lot of experience from working in different departments and helping out different customers find what they're looking for, solve their issues, etc. I will say, like any sales job, you are expected to fulfill your target sales and selling instant credits. I usually didn't have an issue with this, but there were some slow days (and it didn't help when I was given measly 3 hour shifts) and some co-workers will try and steal your sales. Unfortunately, your sales will determine your shifts - if you don't fulfill or exceed, you might not receive much hours to work. For the most part, I got along with everyone and since I can multi-task and work quickly, helping multiple customers at once wasn't too much of an issue for me.
Management is Poor - Job is OK
sale associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 28, 2015
Pros: uniform provided by cosmetic company
Cons: bad management, work schedules, low pay
I worked in Cosmetics - I did learn about skin care & make up, met wonderful customers who cared. For what had to be done the rate of pay was very low with high expectations. The sales manager picked favorites, and was critical of small cosmetic lines. She took her smoke breaks with "selective" employees and was the source of gossip. She made sure that those she did not like were told about there performance failures on a regular base. The set targets for sales were often unrealistic.Respect & competition between cosmetic lines were intense. Co workers looked out for them selves, and took customers from your counter to their cosmetic lines, just to secure (steal) a sale.
Major Department Promotions were over done and the staff suffered from burnout. We were able to schedule our own hours for work but by the time the schedule got to the small counters they were left with the evening & weekend shifts. Store manager was non existent, just walking thru the store when the head office people were in town.
If you get on with a big cosmetic line the job is ok - but don't expect to get ahead financially.
hard working group of people from varying cultural backgrounds all pulling together for the same goals...satisfying positive dynamic .
senior fleet supervisor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 14, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: personally not finding the job challenging anymore
I start every day reviewing the highly valued tasks for the day , ensuring all staff understand the expectation.
next - review the previous days work, assess the teams execution.. investigate & propose adjustments & discuss with the team
-cvor monthly review
- review idle, speeding reports
-document findings ensure process is followed
I have learned nobody cares how or why service fails therefore service level is 1st & foremost. Every effort must be made to ensure the team executes as promised.
The team thrives on success & responds professionally to stress
its a pleasure being associated to this tight group
The hardest part of any job is dealing with the negatives such as service failures and major accidents, I must keep calm, cool keeping my emotions in check in order to provide sound guidance.

The most enjoyable par of the job is the seeing the group get the recognition they deserve . to be honest you are only as good as the team
Terrible Management and Structure
Sales Associate (Former Employee), ottawaMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: awful management, no training, under staffed, aggressive/bullying tactics used to enforce sales and ics
It doesn't really matter if you are great with customers, truly helpful and encourage customers to come back. You are only valued by the number of credit cards you can able to harass customers into opening.

There is no work life balance, requested days off are hardly ever giving by management even if other staff members are willing to cover them.

Availability is also hardly respected.

Expect to learn cash, products, policies and procedures on your own. There is NO training provided by management and there is not extra staffing when a new associate is hired to help them learn. Thrown into the shark tank on your own.

Need to call a manager for help with a difficult customer or complicated transaction? Good look getting a hold of one, and if you do, they probably can't help and will only suggest you ask another associate.

If you are a commissioned sales associate, you will be constantly scrutinized over your sales and because of this staff members fight over sales, making for a hostile work environment.

Only thing good about this place is that it forces you to rely on your other associates for help and you form amazing bonds.
Menswear sales associate
Sales associate (Current Employee), YorkdaleApril 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Repetitive work
A typical day at my part time job would be working with 2-6 other sales associates in my immediate department. I assist customers with sizes and fashion advice, for example find them outfits that they may need for a special occasion or just everyday apparel. I have sales targets that I am required to achieve, as well as encouraging customers to apply for the store credit card. At the end of my shift I am held accountable for counting the cash in the register, closing it, and depositing the money to the main office. I must also recover my area by making sure the clothes are folded and organized. The hardest part of my job is getting customers to apply for the store credit card because a lot of people are skeptical about signing up. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to talk to new people every shift I have and building relationships with them so when they return they know they can depend on me for fashion advice and great service. For the most part I enjoy working with the menswear team, even when it may be difficult to get along with management I still respect them and make the most out of every situation.
Best Retail Job
Ladies Wear Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Pros: Great Discount and Fair Wages
Cons: Aggressive customers
A great entry-level job for retail associates. Co-workers are friendly and reliable, management is coordinated, organized and "hands-on". A typical day at work includes:
- attending a morning meeting where we discuss sales objectives, achievements, and in-store promotions and events.
- smiling and greeting customers and engaging in conversations with them, whilst fulfilling their needs.
- organizing and maintaining the sales floor, by ensuring items are ticketed properly and not on the floor.
- tidying and assisting customers using the fitting room, putting items on hold.
- using "Autolocate" system, to connect online orders for customers in our store.
- signing up customers for store credit cards and rewards points cards.
The most difficult thing is dealing with emotional dissonance; when you are dealing with a very aggressive, angry customer and trying to disconnect yourself from your personal emotions to assist them in the most positive and effective way.
The most enjoyable part is working with a great team, both my management and peers, with a flexible work schedule.
Great Place to Work!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 19, 2014
Pros: awesome management, work/life balance, co-workers
Cons: wages, raises, advancement, benefits
Expectations are high but easy to maintain as you mostly just have to follow a script. They are very reasonable with giving time off when needed. The pay is minimum wage unless you are coming in with experience from else where. When it comes to getting a raise you will be lucky to 25 cents/year. Benefits are horrible/non-existent for part-time employees and only really benefit employees that have been grandfathered into their roles. There is no such thing as full-time just full-time flex, which means you can work from around 28 hours and up. Co-workers are great and you really get to know everyone you work with and make good friends. The management is great and keep improving as of recently. Overall one of the best places I've worked by comparison.
average day on the floor
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Surrey, BCOctober 1, 2015
Pros: customer satisfaction
Cons: work load
General day begins with staff check in, a store walk for visual and a greeting to each staff member. I normally structure the morning with follow up activities given out day before, then list by priority the duties needed for store support. Most enjoyable part of my day is saying hello to each person and having the interaction with them. The biggest part of my day is balancing emails conference calls and daily review of sales. Hardest part of my day is when I need to have frank conversations regarding behaviours on the floor with staff. I have learned that showing my staff that I will do anything myself, that I ask them, creates a team attitude and builds respect. As a leader I think this is the most important part my leadership techniques. I have a whole store mentality regardless of where I supervise, in a store I believe being visible to my staff is very important. The end of day is usually a thoughtful planning to the next day.
HBC: Winter Wonderland
Sales Associate (seasonal) - HBC (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Great People to Work With
Cons: Quite a bit of construction to work around at the time
HBC, Is one of Canada's historically reputable companies that dates back to the 17th century. Along with most of my associates, I took great pride in coming to work at this company that I had known since my early childhood. The environment was very fast-paced and conducive towards surpass sales expectations. Going to work at the Queen and Bay store meant seeing young and old alike marvel at some of the Christmas displays. HBC has traditions and they are evident both throughout the store and instilled in its workforce. My sales associates would temper selling with humour.

I enjoyed this retail environment more than any other because, in my department, we had the right mix of people that were equally motivated to sell a prestigious brand (Ralph Lauren) as they were positive.
For Students Great Place To Work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
Pros: Proffessional retail environment
Cons: Strict Procedures
- Would come in every afternoon 5 days a week after school
- I learned how to handle the cashier in an efficient way to proceed with customer transactons (ie, returns, processing payment)
- Management was very supportive and informative
- My co-workers were some of the most positive individuals on the floor I worked on, any time I did not know how to do something they would give me the best advice
- The hardest part of the job was the cash count because there are procedures which one has to follow strictly every night at closing
- The most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with the people
Productive, fun and fast paced work environment
sales associate (Current Employee), Richmond, BCOctober 29, 2015
A typical day consists of swiping in, and heading towards your department making sure that everything is neat and presentable. I have learned how to scan and keep everything organized with labels on the shelfs in the stock room. My coworkers are really helpful and sales driven. Everyone is responsible for maintaining the store and makes sure the floor is neat and every customer is being helped. Hardest part of the job would be multi-tasking and making sure that if you're alone everything is being dealt with; such as cash as well as checking stock at the back. Most enjoyable part would be seeing all the new shoes in the inventory, and possibly buying some.
Fun envoriment with people you get along with.
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2013
Pros: 30min breaks were paid. incentives were given if we reached our goal
Cons: scheduling was changed too often. breaks were assigned.
Learned about new products and how they work with different skin types.
Management was very firm with meeting weekly goals, they helped come up with new up sell techniques.
My co-workers all worked as a team with unity.
The thing I found hard was to come up with different ways to meet the target, even after up selling. I found the goals were set too high for the counter.
I enjoy learning, and meeting new people, I am a people person, very outgoing. I met lots of new people working with Clinique, build relationships with costomers.
Great Company and a chance to learn each day through customer engagemenr is really great.
sales associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: great team. and great place to improve while enjoying your job
Cons: not a lot of hours right now.
learned the various business fundamentals in maintain the solid service and product delivery through great employment training.
I worked over at the central cash where we basically do almost all transactions and find my manager really helpful and never gets tired in helping us become better in our jobs. over the last two months I learned a lot of great things which will help me grestly improve my skills in this field and in becoming a responsible entrepreneur one day.
Wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy
Footwear Fashionista (Current Employee), Victoria BCApril 8, 2013
While the Bay might be an iconic canadian company, don't go to work for it. It has a very poor corporate culture, and ethics. Be prepared for substantial verbal abuse from customers on a regular basis, with no support for the associate from management. Expect poor hours of work, pay, and heavy cuts backs in scheduling which leave you unable to perform your job in an efficient manner. Raises are non-existent, but if your full time the benefits are good.

If you do decide to work for the Bay,and are lucky enough to be in a store with a union, do yourself a favour and join it.
Fun work environement
security (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: Great team building opprtunities
Cons: Lack of opportunity for advancement
Hudson's Bay is home to all walks of life, and many of them, like all of us, have a few bumps and missteps. However it is these same people that are somehow put together with such divine intent, as if it were written in stone and set to happen. The people you meet working for the Hudson's Bay are what keep you motivated to be happy, healthy and strong. It helps us to drive the brand name harder and better with joy in our souls, and no better way to do that then with colleagues and similar needs and wants.
Great experience, Wonderful staff, girly job
Cosmetic Manager-Shiseido/Biotherm (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONDecember 10, 2014
Pros: pros include, the staff, everyone is so wonderful to be around on a day to day basis. if you are a cosmetician or esthetician, working in cosmetics would be a very fun job for you, its competitive and challenging but in a fun way!
Cons: cons are scheduling and some of the interesting customers we have to deal with.
I have been with the company for almost 3 years now. Like all large company's they have there pros and cons. Pros include, the staff, everyone is so wonderful to be around on a day to day basis. If you are a cosmetician or esthetician, working in cosmetics would be a very fun job for you, its competitive and challenging but in a fun way! Cons are scheduling and some of the interesting customers we have to deal with. Overall its an experience, some stay forever and for others its just a stepping stone to bigger and better things, but that's for you to decide!
Decent place to work, a bit unorganized in terms of management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 3, 2016
A typical day at work involved keeping the men's clothing looking organized, and clean.
I learned how to find new tasks to keep myself busy, how to operate a different Point of Sales system.
Management is alright, they are good at what they do but sometimes lack in certain areas.
Hardest part of the job would be to be on your feet at all times, and dealing with customer problems.
It was enjoyable to work with other co-workers on the sales floor. They definitely make up for the issues experiences.
Productive and fun work environment with good people
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 25, 2013
a typical day would include unloading merchandise from trailers, prepping the merchandise for the sales floor. receiving deliveries throughout the day from couriers, assisting customers, wrapping furniture, prepping customer deliveries and outbound items for the warehouse. I learned the ins and outs of the retail industry and adapted a very strong work ethic which got noticed by management and co-workers. the hardest part of the job was trying to get the most work done in the time given, I'd challenge myself on this everytime and succeed. the most enjoyable part of the job was the work itself and the people around me.
positive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 17, 2015
Cons: not flexable with hours
A typical day at work goes by on a medium pace. As far as coming in, only being greeted by your department associates and basically ordered by your managers to complete tasks they have or cannot complete. Co-workers are friendly, outgoing and helpful. There is no hard part about my job. I enjoy what i do because of the friendly environment i like to make around myself. The most enjoyable part is engaging with customers and making sales leaving my customer happy and proud of their purchase.
Industry