Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

fun place to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 December 2016
Unloaded trucks, moved merchandise to different departments. Place product onto the floor or in the stock room. Busy store around sales and Christmas.
Pros
meetings and lunches provided
Cons
not enough hours
Enjoyable work place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers find the clothes that fit them so that they look amazing in each outfit. Working with the Point of sale system signing in and doing the daily deposit. Management is always there to help when help is needed and easy to work for. They try to make each day enjoyable. Coworkers are always great with working as a team. The hardest part of my job is trying to track down that piece of clothing that the customer wants to purchase and it is at a different location. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They always are wonderful to help and they always make my day fun and enjoyable
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
not enough hours
great part time job
Lead Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON29 November 2016
good company to work for if you need to balance life and work pay is not the greatest managers are ok made some good friends over the years
Ideal job for the lazy
Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 November 2016
Credit acquisitions keep this sad facade of a company going.
Ability to sign up a couple of new account holders per shift is all that is required here. Many credit card 'superstars' are given lots of shifts and hours when they rarely do anything else leaving the other poor souls on shift with them having to do double the work.
Lots of talk about 'great customer service' but the staffing rarely makes that possible.
Pros
A few hard working co-workers
Cons
Credit card sign ups, lack of manager visibility
Great company to work
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Very busy and a lot to learn, Good location and very nice co-worker
Hardest part of the job was that management changed every couple of months and was ongoing explaining my to in the company and adapting new role and responsibility
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Nice opportunity to get experience in customer services.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB25 November 2016
Good experience in customer service.Very nice and good quality management. Strong team work. Flexible scheduling. Easy to learn and make compromise at the work place. Strong and very successful environment. Proper dress code.
Holiday Helper
Holiday Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 November 2016
Fun seasonal job!
I helped with seasonal sales, meaning there was a focusing sale each day and we were each assigned to a specific place.
Customer Service - helped customers get around!
No room to grow,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2016
flexible hours, consistent, achievable budgets, no room for growth, rarely hires with in, not goo with giving raises.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no room for growth and development
Review from previous work experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Queen Street15 November 2016
Wonderful, Everyone is very cooperative and helping attitude, Cares their employees and always work with honesty and integrity.

They always maintain work culture and safety in the workplace.
bay
Sales Associate, Men's Coats (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON11 November 2016
Great Job learned a lot work lots of hours friendly upper management made all employees feel valued and continually gave us random rewards which gave us incentives to produce better
nice to work there,
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
worked there just seasonal but enjoyed to work there. Lots of time direct dealing with the customers.. Never had any issues with the management. Lots to learn there but changed the job because of the family.
Bad
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Warden, ON8 November 2016
Too tiring, 10 hours shifts, ten hours of walking, sore feet. Minimum wage not worth it. A lot of problems with their RF scanners, hard to even find one. Management push to do more units per hour not taking into consideration that you're on your feet for ten hours. Management not friendly. Very sad to do this hard labor for minimum wage.
Pros
Work 4 days 3 days off
Cons
Too tiring
Excellent place to work
Field Placement Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Hudson's bay is a great place to start a career. Great and kind staff. Highly recommend working here. I really enjoyed working at the bay as an intern.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
This job taught me that customer service is not an easy job and not all customers are the same. The rules they teach you does not work in real life as every situation is different. This job taught me the ways i need to learn to adapt and handle different situation at any given moment.
Not a fun place to work
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Long shifts long days sore feet unfriendly supervisors really not a good place to work it's depressing to work here. The pay is not good enough for the work you have to do which is also a big downside
Pros
Cons
Long hours on your feet
working with costumers
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
It was a good job and for the most part i enjoyed working for HBC.
working with costumers and helping them find the right outfit for them was fun, the one thing i didn't enjoy was pushing credit cards on people, it made me feel a bit like a shyster
Pros
good hours, got to be home every night
Cons
the salary wasn't enough to live off of
There are better places to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
Overall working in the cosmetic department was a good learning experience. I loved the brand I worked for but the Bay makes it very clear you work for them not for the counter you work at and they have zero respect for their employees.
-Department Managers are stressed which they enforce onto the employees.
-Daily targets you have to make otherwise you get drilled why you didn't make it.
-Phone calls everyday
-Commision based so people fight for sales and customers
-Credit Cards was the worst only managers get a bonus check for signing up new credit cards and the staff are the ones who have to sign people up. You have targets for how many credit cards you sign up and my manager put so much stress if you didn't make it you got a first warning letter if you didn't achieve your monthly credit card sign ups. You had one week to make it otherwise she would write you up .
-Also Department Managers always leave because there is so much stress
- I also saw lots of people fired without any notice you come into work one day and the next day your gone.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Zero respect, Zero job security, Stressful
not the best environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
hostile environment to work in from the store director right down to other employees in your department. Hard to advance within the company
Flex hours
Team Lead - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
I enjoyed every minute of it because I am a people person and love t help customers who needed any help.

I also worked in mostly all the departments and get the exposure of the system. My managers were good.

I also work better under stress. I enjoyed the RTV and an Inventory
every year.
Pros
Nice store - clean and bright
Cons
Not enough pay the work you suppose to do
No one should ever work here
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 October 2016
My other employees are okay but most of the manager and supervisors are horrible. I don't see why anyone would want to work here. Maybe it was just my section (shoe department) that I didn't like or it was just overall everywhere like this. The head manager I think her name is Stephanie was so mean. I swear it was like she didn't even like me as soon as she saw me. It's like she already made a judgment of me before seeing my work or how well I work. And she kept bossing me around. So I just quit lol. I can find way better places to work than for this batch.
Pros
Cons
Basically what everyone else describes.

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location