Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Great place to work, very professional and businesslike.
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Ontario, Canada16 March 2017
This was truly a great place to work. The management team were top notch and made sure that everything was operated professionally and in a businesslike manner. Plans were clear and well thought out, execution was properly monitored and tracked. Staff were properly trained and well rewarded for superior performance. A great place to learn the right way to operate a productive Information Technology organization. Learned a lot there.
Pros
Supreior planning, execution and follow-up
Enjoyable well managed environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 March 2017
Majority of my days were spent at the cash register or helping tidy the areas. While working at the Bay i further practiced my customer relations skills, my cashier skills and helped improve me 'management skills' as there were times i have to run a section. The culture at the job was great everyone was great and proud to be doing what they did. The hardest part was the 'sales' whenever christmas time would arrive those were always busy. The most enjoyable part of the job were my coworkers and how great everyone got along.
Professional and friendly environment
Seasonal worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 February 2017
A typical day at work includes first of all customer assistance, sales and returns, also, organizing the area and cleaning it up. I have learned how to do transactions which included sales, returns, price checks, size checks and opening and closing in the beginning and end of work days. Every associate at this company puts the customer as their main priority. The most enjoyable part of a job is interactions between coworkers and customers. The hardest part of this job is time management, especially in busy days.
Pros
Associate discounts
Cons
Busy days
Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 February 2017
I got a job at Hudson's bay company as a seasonal sales associate and it was great experience for me. I really enjoyed those days while I was working there. I learned a lot in those days and I really enjoyed cultural diversity. I did not see any discrimination on the basis of religion or colour of skin. Management was great and helpful. Job was easy and most enjoyable thing about the job was that I got to meet different type of people and I learned how to deal with different kind of people and behaviors.
Pros
Great environment
Be able to multi task
Multiple positions (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC16 February 2017
This is a very difficult company to work for. The stores are always under staffed. You need to be able to work physically hard and do every job within the building. Staff is under appreciated and there is no job security. Communication between head office and the stores is horrible so that you are always having to redo things multiple times. Staff is excellent and great to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough staff. No recognition. Poor communication
Asset Protection
Asset Protection Investigator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
Daily reviews on CCTV (closed circuit monitors)
Make apprehensions based on criminal activity being performed on property. Ex; Shoplifting, fraud etc.
Install CCTV cameras both covert and public.
Perform health and safety meetings, stock shortage meetings, floor ownership.
I performed store Audits based on shortage results.
Trained staff for Active Shooter and Bomb Threat procedures.
Interviewing for internal termination based on findings.
Work closely with Ottawa Police, OPP, Special Constables and many different Security Agencies.
Also perform active security roles - any aggressive behaviour, under influence etc.
Benefits, not stressful, easy job.
Responsable du service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC26 February 2017
As long as you open credit card accounts, you're safe and they'll love you. Some breaks are paid, you get insurance. The workload isn't much, there are departments for everything you need. Working in such a big company is hard to get noticed though, so difficult to advance.
Pros
Free lunches, insurance, light workload
Cons
Bad comissions system, you're a number, management is way off
 Guide and give advice to customers on product selection
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2017
Job Title: Stocker

Guide and give advice to customers on product selection
Answer queries or complaints from shoppers
Stock shelves with goods and display items
Work within established guidelines with designer brands
Enjoyed working at The Hudson's Bay
Met different people everyday
Learned to understand different accents
Helping people was most enjoyable to me
Very bad experience
In-Store Marketer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2017
Everyday is a struggle physically and emotionally. Constant re-setup due to lack of communications. Tons of hard labour work. No bonus. No appreciation. Micro management from the direct manager. No development once and for all. .
Pros
Saks employee discount
Cons
25 cents raise per year, can't call in sick without manager giving you a lecture about not taking advantage of sick leaves, seniors bully juniors when choosing day-offs and manager takes senior's side
Satisfactory Retail
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2017
Despite being a huge, reputable company, employee wages are minimum. You work quite hard compared to other retail jobs since it is a department store. The HR and managers were helpful at the location I worked at, but quite understaffed, yet lacked hours. Clean place to work and you get to wear nice, black clothing to your fashion taste. If too busy, may not get breaks until much later if understaffed.
Pros
management
Cons
culture, wage, lack of advancement
Productive and fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 December 2016
My experience at the Hudson's Bay Company was amazing, interacting with customers on a daily basis was enjoyable and interesting. My co workers were very friendly and caring. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers because i didn't know how to react sometimes and the most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people everyday and building good communications with them.
Pros
Fun interacting with happy customers
productive workplace
Caissière et service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 December 2016
On a regular day, i'd go in, swipe my card and go on the floor. I didn't get much training, it was mostly trial and error. Loved the people I worked with, it made it easy. We would put clothes away, do cash and clean up if necessary. They often times understaffed. Managers were a little pushy when it came to credit card sales and uniform. It wasn't the best but it was still a job.
Pros
great co workers, work wasn't too demanding.
Cons
schedule was given really late. Managers were unorganized.
Overworked underpaid
Asset Protection Invistigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
As an Asset Protection Investigator I was poorly trained, underpaid and I wasn’t growing any longer in my career, not only was I not encouraged to do so, I wasn’t given the opportunity to. Going back to the training I was not trained properly to grow with HBC I got set up to fail.
The culture and morale were terrible. The management expect too much. If the API team isnt on duty the store has a complete melt down and associates cannot function without you and you get blamed. When in doubt call security.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am educated and have lots of security experience I believe I could have been more valuable if I had proper training IF I had a good management team. All in all I feel HBC let me down.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Awful Training, Poor management, too high of expectations, overworked, under paid
Bad managing, unfair pay, too much work, very warm and valuable staff
Sales Associate-Ladies Footwear Department (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2017
The location I worked was very friendly, great staff. The workload though is way too high in comparison with the pay I received. I learned quite a lot
Pros
I was able to go on trips and always had my job back.
Cons
Awful schedule and unfair pay in accordance with the amount of work I did.
Very Enjoyable with Supportive Management Team
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario20 December 2016
Plain clothes loss prevention investigator. Apprehended shop lifters, completed security audits and conducted internal investigations. Top female investigator in the region for 2 consecutive years.

Management was very supportive in career advancement and lead by example. Co-workers were extremely supportive and co-operative. Developed many, long lasting friendships while working at Hudson's Bay. The most difficult aspect of the job was working late evenings and sometimes overnight due to camera installation for internal investigations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the heart of the city in the largest Canadian department store.
Pros
Positive Environment, Location and Co-workers
Cons
Commute, Salary
Dynamic retail experience
Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
Great culture for diversity and growth.
Key buying and management focused role. Opportunity to develop people management skills.
Foster great relationships for innovation and design.
First to market retailer showcasing fashion components within each category.
Great support teams available to each function
Really good location for a head office
Enjoyable work place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers find the clothes that fit them so that they look amazing in each outfit. Working with the Point of sale system signing in and doing the daily deposit. Management is always there to help when help is needed and easy to work for. They try to make each day enjoyable. Coworkers are always great with working as a team. The hardest part of my job is trying to track down that piece of clothing that the customer wants to purchase and it is at a different location. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They always are wonderful to help and they always make my day fun and enjoyable
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
not enough hours
Ideal job for the lazy
Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 November 2016
Credit acquisitions keep this sad facade of a company going.
Ability to sign up a couple of new account holders per shift is all that is required here. Many credit card 'superstars' are given lots of shifts and hours when they rarely do anything else leaving the other poor souls on shift with them having to do double the work.
Lots of talk about 'great customer service' but the staffing rarely makes that possible.
Pros
A few hard working co-workers
Cons
Credit card sign ups, lack of manager visibility
A mature and professional workplace with great staff members.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 December 2016
Simply put everyone gets along tremendously and customers are mostly friendly as well. It's retail so it's not a 9-5 workday but the inconsistency with hours can be nice. I work in men's fragrances and nearly 100% of my shift is selling to customers, which is great! Although on slow days the shifts really drag on.
Pros
Staff, hours, and the job itself
Cons
Slow days
Good for part time - stay in school!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
Overall give 2/5 stars.
Absent/distracted management with high expectations. Depends on the department but busier departments deal with a lot of verbal abuse from customers, and little backup from management. Long hours (closing and opening), no benefits or overtime, only time and a half paid on holidays. Co-workers can be very selfish and not work as a team, only independently. Can meet very sweet customers but 6/10 very rude and entitled! Retail teaches you how important it is to go to school!! If you take on retail in general be prepared to be spread thin and pulled in a million different directions at times + to be thrown on the floor with no training and with co-workers who 90% of the time don't want to train you. General manager needs to mind who he/she trusts as managers more.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hudson's Bay Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location