Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

great place to work
Cosmetic Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 October 2016
I love the The Bay and I still enjoy shopping there and visiting with friends I have worked with. I never go there without running into some of my long time customers who I consider friends as well. it is a very professional company and very well run. I still work there when someone is ill or during gift with purchase for estee lauder and Clinique. the benefits have been great too. I had to open the store and close it too. there was a lot of product knowledge involved which I loved. the hardest part of my job was during gift with purchase because sometimes we were so busy short staffed, but you just can do your best and we always managed. the best part of the job was that I loved my customers and girls I worked with, plus I loved the products I sold.
Poor management
Loss prevention officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 August 2016
Work hours were ok until Christmas were your overworked, lack of pay and raises were only 10-20 cents once a year if your lucky. Working what your hired for is not what you do, you do all areas, I did security and had to do dock, stock, cleaning and more. When management was in trouble they lied and blamed me and my teammate was witness and told human resources what happened but since it was management that said I did it when it was him I got fired.
Pros
nothing
Cons
holiday hours, management
co-workers made the work experience so much better.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 May 2016
If you are not familiar with the retail environment, this place might be difficult for you to work with. They never gives you any kind of training and never tell you what rules do they have. All the skills and information are conveyed from your co-workers. Since there are no rules that clearly given, every associate might have different views of the system that works in the company.

The management in The Bay is definitely a weakness. They do not give out a clearly rules and guidelines. They never have a regular schedule, every week is different (that's mean you can't plan a social activity until you know your schedule).

In my department we have base salary + commission, which has pros and cons.

Pros: On a busy day you might earn $15-$20+/hr.
Cons: If you didn't meet your target, you will be in deficit. Thats mean you owe company's money, and you have to make it up later.

The best thing about this company is they have great associates, everyone is supper helpful and respect each other. It is a very fun workplace.
Pros
nice co-workers, commission
Cons
management, unstable schedule.
working with costumers
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
It was a good job and for the most part i enjoyed working for HBC.
working with costumers and helping them find the right outfit for them was fun, the one thing i didn't enjoy was pushing credit cards on people, it made me feel a bit like a shyster
Pros
good hours, got to be home every night
Cons
the salary wasn't enough to live off of
No room to grow,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2016
flexible hours, consistent, achievable budgets, no room for growth, rarely hires with in, not goo with giving raises.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no room for growth and development
Commision
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 September 2016
The type of job is mostly customer service and providing the necessary of the customer,the management was and they provide nice benefits to the employees.
Low Moral, Unrealistic Demands, fun at times led by fun leaders and or associates
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 October 2016
I was a Manager and had approximately 25 associates I was managing and 140 overseeing.

Workplace - Positive, more negative with unrealistic demands
learned a lot about the business
Management - good overall; yet, separated and competed with each other at times and lost focus with working together
Co- workers - I enjoyed; yet, stressed a lot of the time
Hardest part - lack of listening to one another, lack of payroll, lack of teamwork and promotions
Enjoyable - meeting new people, coaching and training
Pros
Learned a lot about business, A lot of fun associates and willing to work when asked
Cons
Not a lot of teamwork, No consistent of hours
There are better places to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
Overall working in the cosmetic department was a good learning experience. I loved the brand I worked for but the Bay makes it very clear you work for them not for the counter you work at and they have zero respect for their employees.
-Department Managers are stressed which they enforce onto the employees.
-Daily targets you have to make otherwise you get drilled why you didn't make it.
-Phone calls everyday
-Commision based so people fight for sales and customers
-Credit Cards was the worst only managers get a bonus check for signing up new credit cards and the staff are the ones who have to sign people up. You have targets for how many credit cards you sign up and my manager put so much stress if you didn't make it you got a first warning letter if you didn't achieve your monthly credit card sign ups. You had one week to make it otherwise she would write you up .
-Also Department Managers always leave because there is so much stress
- I also saw lots of people fired without any notice you come into work one day and the next day your gone.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Zero respect, Zero job security, Stressful
Productive Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 June 2016
Possibility to make commission based salary depending on work performance. Easy to do if you have customer service skills.
High End Retail Low Chance of Advancement
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 June 2016
Since the Hudson Bay Company is high end you have little chance of becoming a manager unless you have an MBA or some kind of secondary education mixed with experience. Work life balance at the Limeridge Mall store was pretty good when I was working there only had to work one week end and it is closed for the holidays. Worked there for almost six years, but only had a high school education no chance of advancement with that kind of education unless you work there for 10+ years.
Enjoyable work place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers find the clothes that fit them so that they look amazing in each outfit. Working with the Point of sale system signing in and doing the daily deposit. Management is always there to help when help is needed and easy to work for. They try to make each day enjoyable. Coworkers are always great with working as a team. The hardest part of my job is trying to track down that piece of clothing that the customer wants to purchase and it is at a different location. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They always are wonderful to help and they always make my day fun and enjoyable
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
not enough hours
Very productive and engaging workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2016
I was able to leverage my communication skills and gained experience with customer service. My co-workers were helpful and very approachable, which made my overall work experience comfortable.
Pros
Commission plus base salary
Cons
Short hour shift
Excellent work place , great people and fun loving manegment
Counter Business Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
I have completed and coached SRA ( Selative Rtail Accademy) which is the most Prestigious Course offered by L'oreal Lancome Luxe. I have also successfully completed and coached the BAR (Beauty Advisor Revolution Program) with in the L'oreal Lancome Luxe. I play a critical role in development of Business by coaching, monitoring, evaluating and reporting the sales associates team of ten to fifteen (beauty advisors). I am also responsible for all the communication between the L'oreal Lancome Luxe and Hudson's Bay senior management team. I have build excellent report with all the level of Management team and co- workers. we believe at L'oreal Lancome Luxe and hudson's bay the work life balance and cherishing each moment to deliver excellence in servicing the guest.
I have embeded the culture of L'oreal Lancome Luxe and Hudson's Bay with in my sales team and myself " that every guest who shopped with us lives happier than they came in." I truly love and honor the heritage for both organization.
Pros
Free Gratis and many perks
Not a fun place to work
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Long shifts long days sore feet unfriendly supervisors really not a good place to work it's depressing to work here. The pay is not good enough for the work you have to do which is also a big downside
Pros
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Fun workplace with talent recognition
Sales Associate - Retail (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 January 2016
The Hudson's Bay is a great place to work especially as a student with requirements of rotational shifts as the managers are very friendly and reliable in providing the sufficient amount of hours to suit your needs. Working at The Bay you can expect to be a part of a very fast paced environment especially during the holiday season which has it's own benefits. If helping customers in various departments of the store is something that may interest an individual, I definitely suggest taking the steps to becoming an employee of the team.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Low pay compared to other departmental stores
Great company to work
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Very busy and a lot to learn, Good location and very nice co-worker
Hardest part of the job was that management changed every couple of months and was ongoing explaining my to in the company and adapting new role and responsibility
Pros
Great employee discount
Fun place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2016
- Greeting and helping customers in finding what they want
- Refer autolocates and credit cards to customers
- Folding and arranging clothes
- Coworkers are great people
- Considerable management
Pros
Sales associate discount, flexible hours, great benefits if you're full time
Cons
Asking customers to open a credit account with the company, autolocates and target sales, short-staffed
Not Applicable
Infrastructure & Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2016
Not Applicable at this time. Would not rate at this time due to privacy concerns.
Some brief notes in general:

Work is hectic.Bonus is not at par or none when compared with other companies, Extended health coverage is sub par compared to other companies. Could do better. Management is US based.
Cons
No one should ever work here
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 October 2016
My other employees are okay but most of the manager and supervisors are horrible. I don't see why anyone would want to work here. Maybe it was just my section (shoe department) that I didn't like or it was just overall everywhere like this. The head manager I think her name is Stephanie was so mean. I swear it was like she didn't even like me as soon as she saw me. It's like she already made a judgment of me before seeing my work or how well I work. And she kept bossing me around. So I just quit lol. I can find way better places to work than for this batch.
Pros
Cons
Basically what everyone else describes.
Fun place to work at
Credit Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Montreal, quebec19 October 2016
Great downtown offices Employers is a very employee-friendly company that provides a great work life balance and flexible work hours. Culture is very conservative and status quo can be strong.