Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyable workplace, great co-workers, good environment.
In-Store Marketing Team (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 5, 2016
Being that I just come on Sunday's now, I usually work with the price changing team and go around the store doing mark ups/mark downs with the printer and scanner given to us. My co-workers are easy to work with and we all get along, which makes the job more fun. Previously before I gave up hours during the week (Monday-Friday) due to school, I worked with the in-store marketing team. We spent our days ensuring everything was presented the way we were guided by the marketing manager, re-stocked items constantly and re-arranged things daily.
Pros
Paid brea
Very demanding physically
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2016
Not being an athletic person, hinders your ability to work in this job. The job descrption states you'd have to lift up to 50lbs, that was a lie, a normal day you'd only have to lift products that were 50lbs and typically proceed to lift 50lbs plus items. 70 pounds was a common occurrence. You're expected to lift this items and pack them in trailers like a game of tetris and not expected to fall and break your knees in the process.
Pros
Long lunches, later start time
Cons
Extremely heavy lifting
Decent work environment with friendly coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 16, 2016
Some weekdays at work were quiet while weekends were usually busier and work was based on 100% commission. This kind of work environment helped improve socialization skills and also multitasking skills during busy work hours. The hardest part of the job was sometimes maintaining quota during slow days. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with coworkers and customers. Co-workers were easily approachable and very sociable, maintaining very positive attitudes. Management at work was also decent and fair.
fun workplace
-holiday decor installation
-signage installation
-lighting display
-prop making

I learned a lot things of retail store.
I did a filed placement art Hudson's Bay.( co-workers)
The hardest part of the job is signage installation, i have to stand on the ladder and measurement it by myself, i was up and down the ladder couple time,it was busy and hardest.

the most enjoyable part was learning new things, it was like how to styling mannequins and how to corporate the colour and match the dress and made it look great and attract customers.
I wouldn't recommend for any one who is thinking about their future career to work in HBC
Logistics Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2016
Management has no clue what they are doing and people are picked on based on who likes you and who doesn't. I am waiting to exit the Vancouver Logistic Center due to very difficulty circumstance at the workplace.

I have missed previous management team i have for but i know for a fact i will never miss these people here.

If HBC wants to stay relevant they must change their leadership at the level of DC managers all the way up to their SVP.
Pros
Absolutely nothing .
Cons
under paid over worked and to make matter worst they hire people with no skills to manage others.
Informative
Seasonal Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
My job included organizing the displays of ladies' accessories, working the cash systems in an efficient manner and assisting customers with picking what products to purchase. I enjoyed interacting with customers and learnt customer service skills as I worked during the Christmas period. My co-workers were very informative, helpful and patient in terms of training and as a result I gained a wealth of information.
Pros
Gain Experience
old school management and corporate mentality
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 30, 2016
They need to move forward with the times today in business approach and company standards and management techniques. The company does have promise but thy do not promote in a healthy way and there is a lot of drama within the company between staff and management but also with management itself.
Pros
pays well, good beenefits
Cons
old school thinking, micro management, poor communication
Overall a professional and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 26, 2016
Working in Hudson's Bay as a Sales Associate allows you to constantly engage with customers. Overall a clean and organized work environment. You learn how to process all Point of Sale transactions and learn to efficiently use time management.
I believe that a typical day at work is overall fun due to the constant interactions with customers. The hardest part of the job is promoting the company's Hudson's Bay loyalty programs.
Pros
Good life balance
Cons
Boring when no customers
Fast pace and Energetic place to work at!
Group Sales Manager Footwear Division (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 15, 2016
Had a GREAT time working at different challenging evolving position in management held for the career path at this outfit!
Constantly evolving and challenging Retail chain environment!
Was the first and longest operating chain store for the Canadain market place. Over 375 years of existence! it was a pleasure and priviledge to have worked for such a Giant on the Canadian fashion scene.
Pros
Family type approach with personnel
Cons
None except for my position abolished in 2004!!
Energetic work environment with great people giving awesome service!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 25, 2016
A fun environment to work in, especially when you love shoes and get to sell them at work! Management is supportive and positive. The best part of my job is seeing a customer who is frustrated or clearly having a bad day, and being able to turn it around and send them out the door with a smile on their face.
Pros
flexible work-life balance
Cons
Short, sporadic shifts
Professional Work place and result oriented
SR Financial Analyst contract (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 8, 2016
Work 37.5 hrs a day with some new processed.
Learn system and different reporting structure.
Management are understanding and caring of the employees interest to progress.
Co-workers are helpful to meet strict deadline if needed.
The passion of the team to meet strict deadline.
Gathering information from other departments to meet the deadline. Being proactive helps in this situation.
Enjoy the friendly,caring and professional atmosphere.
Pros
Ability to learn new responsibilities and system
Cons
New Information not also communicated
Great place to work fast paced and challenging
Cash Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 14, 2016
Great place to work, everything is a learning experience. Management is always willing to listen and help if needed, co-workers are fantastic fun to work with and be around. I think the hardest part of the job is not enough hours in the day. The most enjoyable part is the interaction with co-workers.
Pros
everything
Cons
not enough hours
Great Company and a chance to learn each day through customer engagemenr is really great.
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2016
learned the various business fundamentals in maintain the solid service and product delivery through great employment training.
I worked over at the central cash where we basically do almost all transactions and find my manager really helpful and never gets tired in helping us become better in our jobs. over the last two months I learned a lot of great things which will help me grestly improve my skills in this field and in becoming a responsible entrepreneur one day.
Pros
great team. and great place to improve while enjoying your job
Cons
not a lot of hours right now.
Sincerely enjoy working wit people, the positive atmosphere.
Cosmetic Counter Manager-Hudson Bay. (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
The Hudson' Bay company made me a proud, and happy
employee every time.
I learned Reliability, dependability, determination, confidence.
The management is awesome and professional in every way.
I had great relationship with all the Co- workers.
The hardest part of the job?? I can not remember any hard part.
The most enjoyable part of the job is... just to be there.

Certainly have been made me feel special.
Pros
free lunch is a great thing.
Cons
I can manage long hours wery well.
Over all I was happy to work that with that company, althouw salary was not satisfactory but their customer service is excellient.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 11, 2016
working with this company I have learned how to present your the best product to the customer. How to approach to a customer and convinces the to buy the products.co worker was very cooperative, especially in busy season.
Fun place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
- Greeting and helping customers in finding what they want
- Refer autolocates and credit cards to customers
- Folding and arranging clothes
- Coworkers are great people
- Considerable management
Pros
Sales associate discount, flexible hours, great benefits if you're full time
Cons
Asking customers to open a credit account with the company, autolocates and target sales, short-staffed
Not Applicable
Infrastructure & Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 20, 2016
Not Applicable at this time. Would not rate at this time due to privacy concerns.
Some brief notes in general:

Work is hectic.Bonus is not at par or none when compared with other companies, Extended health coverage is sub par compared to other companies. Could do better. Management is US based.
Dedicated at job, hardworker
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 12, 2016
It was a pleasure to work at Hudson's Bay. I was working in Customer Service. I like to talk people and give them best service. Co Worker are very friendly and co-operative. Management team is very friendly and excellent. I learned what customer needs and talk with polite manners even with angry customer handle with polite.
enjoyed working with managers, Associate and helping customers and
Team Leader / Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2016
I am people person and enjoyed every moment of it. They expect from you a lot and not paying enough. Every managers and associates were happy with my support and help which I provided whenever they needed including working on my day off.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Not enough pay.
Friendly Environment. Poor salary.
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2016
I have worked for the company for almost 4 years with a full time position, work is steady, friendly enviroment, as negative aspects, there are not opportunities to grow in the Company and depending the`position the schedule is not too flexible.
Pros
Easy to get hired.
Cons
Poor training, poor management.