Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

do your job and get people to apply for the credit card
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 21, 2016
Not much to say about Hudson Bay as it is just like any other sales. Co-workers are friendly to each other and like to teach each other new product knowledge. However, management is a little lacking and will constantly nag you to get more credit applications.
Commision
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 20, 2016
The type of job is mostly customer service and providing the necessary of the customer,the management was and they provide nice benefits to the employees.
Great place to start a career
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Love Hudson Bay, my first job in the fashion industry. Great environment to work in. Lots of room for growth in the stores. Moved up quickly to management team, lots of experience in both visual and management at The Bay.
Used to be an excellent employer
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  OttawaSeptember 5, 2016
There was a time when I spoke very highly of this company. For the last 5 years I have seen it slowly decline. I no longer recommend HBC as an employer.
Pros
Large company, always many openings.
Cons
Unorganized.
Cold times
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 2, 2016
In summer time a/c would be on high and I would wear sweaters. Management was good always helped resolve issues and hardest part was to get credit applications
Loved the Customers, My Staff and I enjoyed my time there.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 31, 2016
Although I loved what I was doing,however I knew the opportunity to grow is slim to none. My ambitions are bigger then one store.
A friendly Management oriented environment is important!
Cashier/Customer Service/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2016
My typical day was to have my Customers feel as if they were at a friends house as a Guest, I would make sure that they would feel welcomed, relaxed and comfortable while in my environment.
I wanted my Customers to have trust in what I did as a professional and as their Consultant. I would do complimentary mini hand treatments and talk about the day. I wanted them to have confidence in me to get their needs met.

I have learnt that everyone is unique in their own way.
I learnt that everyone has concerns, special needs
I learnt that a little bit of kindness can bring big results
I learnt that everyone deserves respect and love no matter who they are

Management is very important to me in a work environment. You have to have a leader and everyone has someone leading them (sort of like a ripple effect) . When you are in a busy workforce you have to lead you employees to succeed but this should be done respectively and in a professional manner. "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

My co-workers were not just my co-workers they were my friends, we were like family. Even in difficult times in the work environment we guided and supported each other. My co-workers would listen to my suggestion whenever they would ask for my advice. We became a team with a mission and our mission was to be the greatest Ambassadors for the Hudson's Bay Company that we could be.

If you are passionate about your job there is really no hard part. There might be times when your work load becomes a bit more demanding and/or challenging, here's what I do when it comes
  more... to that level, I pray to accomplish what needs to be done and then I can do it without the stress.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the People, People from all walks of life, whether they be Co-workers, Clients, Strangers and yes even Children. It is quite enjoyable to interact with each and everyone.
The other part is knowing that my Customers are happy,satisfied and pleased with my services and their purchase.
Pros
Targets achieved
upbeat and positive retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 25, 2016
working at the bay was a positive experience in learning the ropes of retail. As i had worked at a different retail store, i was experienced in the field. But, working at the bay encouraged me to learn more about retail work in a much bigger scale and store with heavier traffic and more clientele.
Great work environment
Inventory (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 24, 2016
The Bay has a great environment to work in and be apart of. All of the other associates were very nice and understanding since I was new to inventory. I learned how to help and communicate with customers even if I didn't know the answer they were looking for.
Mediocre
Visual (Former Employee) –  ChinookAugust 23, 2016
It wasnt that great of a place to work, you were micromamanged to the max and the early mornings where draining. If you enjoy a lame work atmosphere apply here.
Pros
Money
A great place to start
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2016
A good place to start if you don't have much experience overall. The Bay has high standards but will drill into you how to fulfill them and continue to meet those standards even in your next position.
Relaxed working atmosphere. Excellent inter-employee relationships.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONAugust 21, 2016
Excellent first job. Very flexible with hours and shift changes when required. Management were incredibly knowledgeable and guided my very well. Gained many valuable skills that I will be able to use in any customer service position.
Boring workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 17, 2016
There's a lot of great people but I often felt compared with others, there was no real training. The organisation was bad
Pros
great people
Poor management
Loss prevention officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 12, 2016
Work hours were ok until Christmas were your overworked, lack of pay and raises were only 10-20 cents once a year if your lucky. Working what your hired for is not what you do, you do all areas, I did security and had to do dock, stock, cleaning and more. When management was in trouble they lied and blamed me and my teammate was witness and told human resources what happened but since it was management that said I did it when it was him I got fired.
Pros
nothing
Cons
holiday hours, management
looking forward to a new challenge with employee respect and fairness.
Marketing Manager, sales manager, sales associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABAugust 9, 2016
worked at the same store 37 years. many changes over years. the first 27 were filled with many learning experiences, employee respect and teamwork. the last 10 have been not as enjoyable as respect and appreciation for hard working employees has been lost.
Overall very good company compared to most retailers
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ONAugust 3, 2016
New leadership and partners making it international have changed the company for the better. Could use more support for store operations such as payroll and updated tools to complete a task. Staff are great and the reason most things get done with such minimal payroll for the floor/ coverage.
Pros
Variety of tasks
Cons
Retail hours
Great Customer Service experience
Designated Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCAugust 3, 2016
At busy times of the year, The Bay was a fast-paced environment where you had to multi-task and deal with all different clientele. This kept it interesting.
Great Canadian Retail Company
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
I am grateful and delighted that I have been working for this historic company. Definitely has been a great learning experience in my career while I have been working at HBC but would like to step outside of retail industry hence looking elsewhere.
Good place to begin and get your feet off of the ground while meeting a variety of people.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2016
Great people who push you to strive and become a better person, the amount of help and guidance from managers is minimal but the people with you help male up for it. Overall great first experience and great place to meet different people.
Merchandising as an art form
In Store Marketer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 29, 2016
Daily meetings before work on what is going on in the company, new brands, monthly communication for lingerie and sleepwear plus other mark downs. I learned to set up in a timely matter, proper signage usage, consistency is key. Relationships matter between other In-Store Marketers, the Visual Presentation team, managers, vendors and customers. Overall department cleanliness with ease of shopping.. Branding for full impact statement. The hardest part was the early start at 630am. Most enjoyable was creating a wow factor in the strike zone that tells a story with point of view (colour, brands) selling the merchandise and seasonal elements.
Pros
Being creative daily
Cons
Early morning start

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location