Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace with talent recognition
Sales Associate - Retail (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 6, 2016
The Hudson's Bay is a great place to work especially as a student with requirements of rotational shifts as the managers are very friendly and reliable in providing the sufficient amount of hours to suit your needs. Working at The Bay you can expect to be a part of a very fast paced environment especially during the holiday season which has it's own benefits. If helping customers in various departments of the store is something that may interest an individual, I definitely suggest taking the steps to becoming an employee of the team.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Low pay compared to other departmental stores
Fun place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
- Greeting and helping customers in finding what they want
- Refer autolocates and credit cards to customers
- Folding and arranging clothes
- Coworkers are great people
- Considerable management
Pros
Sales associate discount, flexible hours, great benefits if you're full time
Cons
Asking customers to open a credit account with the company, autolocates and target sales, short-staffed
Not a Very Motivational Place
Beauty Advisor and Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  London, ONDecember 11, 2015
Typical day at work is long and often boring. Management is always on your back. Discounts are not very good considering the wage and benefits are also not very beneficial unless you have worked there for years. Co workers were great! Management doesn't seem to ever really know what is going on. Communication is lacking. Negativity and scare tactics rather than praise and reward.
non productive workplace
customer service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJanuary 17, 2016
didn't treat their employees with dignity and respect.
also gave me a raise and then took the raise back telling me it was a mistake
Pros
Cons
unreliable hours
A job, I enjoy where I get to express my own fashion ideas
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Very nice place to work, laid back and respectable. Management treats employees nicely which is reflected on the way employees treat customers - it is important since it is a customer service oriented job. You get to learn a lot about shoes in regards to the season and which ones go with a certain outfit. You are taught how to engage a customer in a friendly manner as well as certain techniques to sell them the product.

The most challenging part of my job is making my sales target which can be letdown on some nights for my own commission. However, I feel that my skills and the way I interact with my customers have usually put me on the good end of a majority of nights, and I have been rewarded with commission and extra praise from my managers.

I really enjoy working at the bay because I feel I get to help customers complete their outfit for important events, such as weddings...etc. I get to interact with different people with different styles and I even get to learn a thing or to from them.
Pros
Commission and Treatment of Employees
Cons
Short Shifts
Beautiful area
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2015
really nice atmosphere, the good relationship in intersection management. happy faces, work hard, professional manager, good benefits
Professional Environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 24, 2016
Great workplace, friendly managment. Commision work but good training. Involves medical and dental benefits. Also has flexible hours. Great team work.
Fast pace and Energetic place to work at!
Group Sales Manager Footwear Division (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 15, 2016
Had a GREAT time working at different challenging evolving position in management held for the career path at this outfit!
Constantly evolving and challenging Retail chain environment!
Was the first and longest operating chain store for the Canadain market place. Over 375 years of existence! it was a pleasure and priviledge to have worked for such a Giant on the Canadian fashion scene.
Pros
Family type approach with personnel
Cons
None except for my position abolished in 2004!!
Energetic work environment with great people giving awesome service!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 25, 2016
A fun environment to work in, especially when you love shoes and get to sell them at work! Management is supportive and positive. The best part of my job is seeing a customer who is frustrated or clearly having a bad day, and being able to turn it around and send them out the door with a smile on their face.
Pros
flexible work-life balance
Cons
Short, sporadic shifts
laid back enjoyable place to work
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 15, 2016
good work place you can work hard without a lot of supervision co-workers are very friendly so is management there isn't anything difficult about the job
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Merchandising as an art form
In Store Marketer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 29, 2016
Daily meetings before work on what is going on in the company, new brands, monthly communication for lingerie and sleepwear plus other mark downs. I learned to set up in a timely matter, proper signage usage, consistency is key. Relationships matter between other In-Store Marketers, the Visual Presentation team, managers, vendors and customers. Overall department cleanliness with ease of shopping.. Branding for full impact statement. The hardest part was the early start at 630am. Most enjoyable was creating a wow factor in the strike zone that tells a story with point of view (colour, brands) selling the merchandise and seasonal elements.
Pros
Being creative daily
Cons
Early morning start
Good job
Ladies' Footwear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Hudson's Bay is incredibly flexible with their hours which is perfect for students. Nonetheless, there is absolutely no job security, no guaranteed shifts/hours, etc. Management could be better and more clear with their wishes. The hardest part of the job is getting people to open up credit cards. If you fail to open up 1+ IC (Instant Credit) per week you risk losing your job. The most enjoyable part of the job is the environment and people. The biggest CON about working at Hudson's Bay is that you do not receive an employee discount if you do not have their credit card. :( If you do, it is 25% off clothes, fashion, etc. 20% off cosmetics.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No Security
Sincerely enjoy working wit people, the positive atmosphere.
Cosmetic Counter Manager-Hudson Bay. (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
The Hudson' Bay company made me a proud, and happy
employee every time.
I learned Reliability, dependability, determination, confidence.
The management is awesome and professional in every way.
I had great relationship with all the Co- workers.
The hardest part of the job?? I can not remember any hard part.
The most enjoyable part of the job is... just to be there.

Certainly have been made me feel special.
Pros
free lunch is a great thing.
Cons
I can manage long hours wery well.
Great staff, lot of hours for highschool students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSDecember 14, 2015
great staff to work with but hard to manage work and school with a lot of hours, little benefits with the company unless using a credit card
Connection
Ecommerce Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
Strong connection within the workers and management. Issues were immediately attended to.
Benefits are not very good, discounts were very low
Fun and Flexible retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2016
Like every other retail job you would find at a mall. The work environment is very professional although management is overly strict as I believe my co-workers and I did our jobs better than was expected. The hardest part of the job was something as simple as not being able to sit, since you had to stand for your whole entire shift, as expected. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility we were provided with our shifts, being able to switch them around as long as management was notified. One major lesson I took from this job was the importance of customer service and representing the brand you work for, as it was my first retail experience.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Long standing and waiting hours
A safe work place that offers many opportunities.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 24, 2016
Working at Hudson's Bay required you to stay alert as a rush could happen at any time. I learned how to use and operate the cash register and process purchases made by customers with efficiency. The management was very understanding and patient. The co-workers were very helpful. For example, when I was still new, they would be ready to show me the steps needed to be done on the cash register in order to complete a transaction. The hardest part of the job was that the hours were not flexible and it was hard to manage both school and work. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Best place to work if you are a people person
Fulfillment Specialist/Office Admin (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2016
Co-workers tend to have a fun outlook of life. They work hard and play harder! The culture is unlike any place I have worked. You meet so many different people. Sometimes you have to be really patient, people are not always kind.
Pros
Great people to work with
fun workplace
-holiday decor installation
-signage installation
-lighting display
-prop making

I learned a lot things of retail store.
I did a filed placement art Hudson's Bay.( co-workers)
The hardest part of the job is signage installation, i have to stand on the ladder and measurement it by myself, i was up and down the ladder couple time,it was busy and hardest.

the most enjoyable part was learning new things, it was like how to styling mannequins and how to corporate the colour and match the dress and made it look great and attract customers.
Professional Work place and result oriented
SR Financial Analyst contract (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 8, 2016
Work 37.5 hrs a day with some new processed.
Learn system and different reporting structure.
Management are understanding and caring of the employees interest to progress.
Co-workers are helpful to meet strict deadline if needed.
The passion of the team to meet strict deadline.
Gathering information from other departments to meet the deadline. Being proactive helps in this situation.
Enjoy the friendly,caring and professional atmosphere.
Pros
Ability to learn new responsibilities and system
Cons
New Information not also communicated

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location