Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Overworked underpaid
Asset Protection Invistigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
As an Asset Protection Investigator I was poorly trained, underpaid and I wasn’t growing any longer in my career, not only was I not encouraged to do so, I wasn’t given the opportunity to. Going back to the training I was not trained properly to grow with HBC I got set up to fail.
The culture and morale were terrible. The management expect too much. If the API team isnt on duty the store has a complete melt down and associates cannot function without you and you get blamed. When in doubt call security.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am educated and have lots of security experience I believe I could have been more valuable if I had proper training IF I had a good management team. All in all I feel HBC let me down.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Awful Training, Poor management, too high of expectations, overworked, under paid
Very Enjoyable with Supportive Management Team
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario20 December 2016
Plain clothes loss prevention investigator. Apprehended shop lifters, completed security audits and conducted internal investigations. Top female investigator in the region for 2 consecutive years.

Management was very supportive in career advancement and lead by example. Co-workers were extremely supportive and co-operative. Developed many, long lasting friendships while working at Hudson's Bay. The most difficult aspect of the job was working late evenings and sometimes overnight due to camera installation for internal investigations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the heart of the city in the largest Canadian department store.
Pros
Positive Environment, Location and Co-workers
Cons
Commute, Salary
Good for part time - stay in school!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
Overall give 2/5 stars.
Absent/distracted management with high expectations. Depends on the department but busier departments deal with a lot of verbal abuse from customers, and little backup from management. Long hours (closing and opening), no benefits or overtime, only time and a half paid on holidays. Co-workers can be very selfish and not work as a team, only independently. Can meet very sweet customers but 6/10 very rude and entitled! Retail teaches you how important it is to go to school!! If you take on retail in general be prepared to be spread thin and pulled in a million different directions at times + to be thrown on the floor with no training and with co-workers who 90% of the time don't want to train you. General manager needs to mind who he/she trusts as managers more.
Very bad experience
In-Store Marketer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2017
Everyday is a struggle physically and emotionally. Constant re-setup due to lack of communications. Tons of hard labour work. No bonus. No appreciation. Micro management from the direct manager. No development once and for all. .
Pros
Saks employee discount
Cons
25 cents raise per year, can't call in sick without manager giving you a lecture about not taking advantage of sick leaves, seniors bully juniors when choosing day-offs and manager takes senior's side
Satisfactory Retail
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2017
Despite being a huge, reputable company, employee wages are minimum. You work quite hard compared to other retail jobs since it is a department store. The HR and managers were helpful at the location I worked at, but quite understaffed, yet lacked hours. Clean place to work and you get to wear nice, black clothing to your fashion taste. If too busy, may not get breaks until much later if understaffed.
Pros
management
Cons
culture, wage, lack of advancement
Great environment to work in, friendly people, long hours, and new experiences.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 February 2017
A typical day at Hudson's Bay will start off fairly busy on some days, slower on others. I'll be in my designated are getting ready to talk with customers and assisting them with any of their needs. I would do that until lunch time, then get right back to it. I would get another 30 minute break, after that's done I would work until my working hours are done. I've learned multiple things while working at Hudson's Bay like being on my feet for long periods of time, folding techniques for clothing, and also how to approach various customers. The management of the company was fantastic, everyone was on their toes doing what they are supposed to and always looking for customers to assist. The workplace culture was great, people of different races working together and everyone was treated equally. The hardest part of the job was standing for that long period of time, but overtime I've gotten used to it so it just feels natural to me now. And also working for 8 hours a day was pretty tough since it was my first job. The most enjoyable part was interacting with new customers. I would never know what type of customer I would be interacting with each day and I found that really exciting.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
Low Moral, Unrealistic Demands, fun at times led by fun leaders and or associates
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 October 2016
I was a Manager and had approximately 25 associates I was managing and 140 overseeing.

Workplace - Positive, more negative with unrealistic demands
learned a lot about the business
Management - good overall; yet, separated and competed with each other at times and lost focus with working together
Co- workers - I enjoyed; yet, stressed a lot of the time
Hardest part - lack of listening to one another, lack of payroll, lack of teamwork and promotions
Enjoyable - meeting new people, coaching and training
Pros
Learned a lot about business, A lot of fun associates and willing to work when asked
Cons
Not a lot of teamwork, No consistent of hours
Buyer assistant - ladieswear
Buyer assistant - ladieswear (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 January 2017
Hudson's Bay, Buyer assistant role is not a 9-5 job, very little to no advancement.
Salary doesn't reflect the amount of daily overtime hours worked
Pros
unlimited vacation time
Cons
long hours, little internal promotions
There are better places to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
Overall working in the cosmetic department was a good learning experience. I loved the brand I worked for but the Bay makes it very clear you work for them not for the counter you work at and they have zero respect for their employees.
-Department Managers are stressed which they enforce onto the employees.
-Daily targets you have to make otherwise you get drilled why you didn't make it.
-Phone calls everyday
-Commision based so people fight for sales and customers
-Credit Cards was the worst only managers get a bonus check for signing up new credit cards and the staff are the ones who have to sign people up. You have targets for how many credit cards you sign up and my manager put so much stress if you didn't make it you got a first warning letter if you didn't achieve your monthly credit card sign ups. You had one week to make it otherwise she would write you up .
-Also Department Managers always leave because there is so much stress
- I also saw lots of people fired without any notice you come into work one day and the next day your gone.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Zero respect, Zero job security, Stressful
Poor management
Loss prevention officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 August 2016
Work hours were ok until Christmas were your overworked, lack of pay and raises were only 10-20 cents once a year if your lucky. Working what your hired for is not what you do, you do all areas, I did security and had to do dock, stock, cleaning and more. When management was in trouble they lied and blamed me and my teammate was witness and told human resources what happened but since it was management that said I did it when it was him I got fired.
Pros
nothing
Cons
holiday hours, management
Dynamic retail experience
Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
Great culture for diversity and growth.
Key buying and management focused role. Opportunity to develop people management skills.
Foster great relationships for innovation and design.
First to market retailer showcasing fashion components within each category.
Great support teams available to each function
Really good location for a head office
Enjoyable work place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers find the clothes that fit them so that they look amazing in each outfit. Working with the Point of sale system signing in and doing the daily deposit. Management is always there to help when help is needed and easy to work for. They try to make each day enjoyable. Coworkers are always great with working as a team. The hardest part of my job is trying to track down that piece of clothing that the customer wants to purchase and it is at a different location. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They always are wonderful to help and they always make my day fun and enjoyable
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
not enough hours
Great company to work
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Very busy and a lot to learn, Good location and very nice co-worker
Hardest part of the job was that management changed every couple of months and was ongoing explaining my to in the company and adapting new role and responsibility
Pros
Great employee discount
great place to work
Cosmetic Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 October 2016
I love the The Bay and I still enjoy shopping there and visiting with friends I have worked with. I never go there without running into some of my long time customers who I consider friends as well. it is a very professional company and very well run. I still work there when someone is ill or during gift with purchase for estee lauder and Clinique. the benefits have been great too. I had to open the store and close it too. there was a lot of product knowledge involved which I loved. the hardest part of my job was during gift with purchase because sometimes we were so busy short staffed, but you just can do your best and we always managed. the best part of the job was that I loved my customers and girls I worked with, plus I loved the products I sold.
Excellent work place , great people and fun loving manegment
Counter Business Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
I have completed and coached SRA ( Selative Rtail Accademy) which is the most Prestigious Course offered by L'oreal Lancome Luxe. I have also successfully completed and coached the BAR (Beauty Advisor Revolution Program) with in the L'oreal Lancome Luxe. I play a critical role in development of Business by coaching, monitoring, evaluating and reporting the sales associates team of ten to fifteen (beauty advisors). I am also responsible for all the communication between the L'oreal Lancome Luxe and Hudson's Bay senior management team. I have build excellent report with all the level of Management team and co- workers. we believe at L'oreal Lancome Luxe and hudson's bay the work life balance and cherishing each moment to deliver excellence in servicing the guest.
I have embeded the culture of L'oreal Lancome Luxe and Hudson's Bay with in my sales team and myself " that every guest who shopped with us lives happier than they came in." I truly love and honor the heritage for both organization.
Pros
Free Gratis and many perks
Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 February 2017
I got a job at Hudson's bay company as a seasonal sales associate and it was great experience for me. I really enjoyed those days while I was working there. I learned a lot in those days and I really enjoyed cultural diversity. I did not see any discrimination on the basis of religion or colour of skin. Management was great and helpful. Job was easy and most enjoyable thing about the job was that I got to meet different type of people and I learned how to deal with different kind of people and behaviors.
Pros
Great environment
Fun place to work at
Credit Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Montreal, quebec19 October 2016
Great downtown offices Employers is a very employee-friendly company that provides a great work life balance and flexible work hours. Culture is very conservative and status quo can be strong.
No room to grow,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2016
flexible hours, consistent, achievable budgets, no room for growth, rarely hires with in, not goo with giving raises.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no room for growth and development
Be able to multi task
Multiple positions (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC16 February 2017
This is a very difficult company to work for. The stores are always under staffed. You need to be able to work physically hard and do every job within the building. Staff is under appreciated and there is no job security. Communication between head office and the stores is horrible so that you are always having to redo things multiple times. Staff is excellent and great to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough staff. No recognition. Poor communication
Productive and fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 December 2016
My experience at the Hudson's Bay Company was amazing, interacting with customers on a daily basis was enjoyable and interesting. My co workers were very friendly and caring. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers because i didn't know how to react sometimes and the most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people everyday and building good communications with them.
Pros
Fun interacting with happy customers

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location