Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews in Canada

Mediocre
Visual (Former Employee) –  ChinookAugust 23, 2016
It wasnt that great of a place to work, you were micromamanged to the max and the early mornings where draining. If you enjoy a lame work atmosphere apply here.
Pros
Money
A great place to start
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2016
A good place to start if you don't have much experience overall. The Bay has high standards but will drill into you how to fulfill them and continue to meet those standards even in your next position.
Relaxed working atmosphere. Excellent inter-employee relationships.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONAugust 21, 2016
Excellent first job. Very flexible with hours and shift changes when required. Management were incredibly knowledgeable and guided my very well. Gained many valuable skills that I will be able to use in any customer service position.
Boring workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 17, 2016
There's a lot of great people but I often felt compared with others, there was no real training. The organisation was bad
Pros
great people
Poor management
Loss prevention officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 12, 2016
Work hours were ok until Christmas were your overworked, lack of pay and raises were only 10-20 cents once a year if your lucky. Working what your hired for is not what you do, you do all areas, I did security and had to do dock, stock, cleaning and more. When management was in trouble they lied and blamed me and my teammate was witness and told human resources what happened but since it was management that said I did it when it was him I got fired.
Pros
nothing
Cons
holiday hours, management
looking forward to a new challenge with employee respect and fairness.
Marketing Manager, sales manager, sales associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABAugust 9, 2016
worked at the same store 37 years. many changes over years. the first 27 were filled with many learning experiences, employee respect and teamwork. the last 10 have been not as enjoyable as respect and appreciation for hard working employees has been lost.
Overall very good company compared to most retailers
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ONAugust 3, 2016
New leadership and partners making it international have changed the company for the better. Could use more support for store operations such as payroll and updated tools to complete a task. Staff are great and the reason most things get done with such minimal payroll for the floor/ coverage.
Pros
Variety of tasks
Cons
Retail hours
Great Customer Service experience
Designated Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCAugust 3, 2016
At busy times of the year, The Bay was a fast-paced environment where you had to multi-task and deal with all different clientele. This kept it interesting.
Great Canadian Retail Company
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
I am grateful and delighted that I have been working for this historic company. Definitely has been a great learning experience in my career while I have been working at HBC but would like to step outside of retail industry hence looking elsewhere.
Good place to begin and get your feet off of the ground while meeting a variety of people.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2016
Great people who push you to strive and become a better person, the amount of help and guidance from managers is minimal but the people with you help male up for it. Overall great first experience and great place to meet different people.
Merchandising as an art form
In Store Marketer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 29, 2016
Daily meetings before work on what is going on in the company, new brands, monthly communication for lingerie and sleepwear plus other mark downs. I learned to set up in a timely matter, proper signage usage, consistency is key. Relationships matter between other In-Store Marketers, the Visual Presentation team, managers, vendors and customers. Overall department cleanliness with ease of shopping.. Branding for full impact statement. The hardest part was the early start at 630am. Most enjoyable was creating a wow factor in the strike zone that tells a story with point of view (colour, brands) selling the merchandise and seasonal elements.
Pros
Being creative daily
Cons
Early morning start
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 25, 2016
• Sales associate, department Ladies Shoes, customer services.
Great manager, team worker, brave people, good location, bigger Company to work.
Communication
Senior General Manager - Flagship & Multi-Unit (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 25, 2016
Communication from C-Level always from last minute.

Undecided, no directions for a long period of time and brought store engagement at is lowest.
Hudson Bay
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 19, 2016
The Hudson's Bay company is a really fun place to work. The co-workers were really easy to get along with. There was always something to do at work and there wasn't much down time, which is a good thing.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Not many hours
great place to work, very fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 18, 2016
I would open and close the store, sell merchandise help people find the perfect outfit for whichever occasion they needed. Cleaned up , and closed the store.
Loved working here was very fun and exciting.
Friendly Co-workers and excellent Management
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 18, 2016
Hudson's Bay Company is a place that thought me to do team work and mange all hard situation, with great management and support that I have ever seen in my life.
Pros
team work and good management
Cons
closing alone
Constant environment in workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 14, 2016
Every day is the same thing, you do the exact same things every shift. Nothing exciting occurs throughout a shift.
Age difference is a big factor. Im the youngest person there currently while everyone else is 21+.
Hardest part of job is that there is not enough to do.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Boring
Diverse environment with wonderful people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2016
I learned a great deal while working at HBC. They taught me how to interact with customers, work a cash register, and communicate with my co-workers. I am very grateful for the time that I spent there but I chose to leave because of scheduling conflicts.
A Great Place to work
Visual Presentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2016
Excellent company, flexible schedule, friendly environment, very good and knowledgeable team. My Boss was always very approachable, hard-working and dedicated.
very poor management culture
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 12, 2016
very poor work culture for employees. the management was not helpful with most issues .there was no human resources dept.
Pros
none.
Cons
overall atmosphere

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location