Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 February 2017
I got a job at Hudson's bay company as a seasonal sales associate and it was great experience for me. I really enjoyed those days while I was working there. I learned a lot in those days and I really enjoyed cultural diversity. I did not see any discrimination on the basis of religion or colour of skin. Management was great and helpful. Job was easy and most enjoyable thing about the job was that I got to meet different type of people and I learned how to deal with different kind of people and behaviors.
Pros
Great environment
Asset Protection
Asset Protection Investigator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
Daily reviews on CCTV (closed circuit monitors)
Make apprehensions based on criminal activity being performed on property. Ex; Shoplifting, fraud etc.
Install CCTV cameras both covert and public.
Perform health and safety meetings, stock shortage meetings, floor ownership.
I performed store Audits based on shortage results.
Trained staff for Active Shooter and Bomb Threat procedures.
Interviewing for internal termination based on findings.
Work closely with Ottawa Police, OPP, Special Constables and many different Security Agencies.
Also perform active security roles - any aggressive behaviour, under influence etc.
Professional and friendly environment
Seasonal worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 February 2017
A typical day at work includes first of all customer assistance, sales and returns, also, organizing the area and cleaning it up. I have learned how to do transactions which included sales, returns, price checks, size checks and opening and closing in the beginning and end of work days. Every associate at this company puts the customer as their main priority. The most enjoyable part of a job is interactions between coworkers and customers. The hardest part of this job is time management, especially in busy days.
Pros
Associate discounts
Cons
Busy days
Be able to multi task
Multiple positions (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC16 February 2017
This is a very difficult company to work for. The stores are always under staffed. You need to be able to work physically hard and do every job within the building. Staff is under appreciated and there is no job security. Communication between head office and the stores is horrible so that you are always having to redo things multiple times. Staff is excellent and great to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough staff. No recognition. Poor communication
Very bad experience
In-Store Marketer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2017
Everyday is a struggle physically and emotionally. Constant re-setup due to lack of communications. Tons of hard labour work. No bonus. No appreciation. Micro management from the direct manager. No development once and for all. .
Pros
Saks employee discount
Cons
25 cents raise per year, can't call in sick without manager giving you a lecture about not taking advantage of sick leaves, seniors bully juniors when choosing day-offs and manager takes senior's side
Satisfactory Retail
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2017
Despite being a huge, reputable company, employee wages are minimum. You work quite hard compared to other retail jobs since it is a department store. The HR and managers were helpful at the location I worked at, but quite understaffed, yet lacked hours. Clean place to work and you get to wear nice, black clothing to your fashion taste. If too busy, may not get breaks until much later if understaffed.
Pros
management
Cons
culture, wage, lack of advancement
 Guide and give advice to customers on product selection
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2017
Job Title: Stocker

Guide and give advice to customers on product selection
Answer queries or complaints from shoppers
Stock shelves with goods and display items
Work within established guidelines with designer brands
Enjoyed working at The Hudson's Bay
Met different people everyday
Learned to understand different accents
Helping people was most enjoyable to me
Productive and fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 December 2016
My experience at the Hudson's Bay Company was amazing, interacting with customers on a daily basis was enjoyable and interesting. My co workers were very friendly and caring. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers because i didn't know how to react sometimes and the most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people everyday and building good communications with them.
Pros
Fun interacting with happy customers
productive workplace
Caissière et service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 December 2016
On a regular day, i'd go in, swipe my card and go on the floor. I didn't get much training, it was mostly trial and error. Loved the people I worked with, it made it easy. We would put clothes away, do cash and clean up if necessary. They often times understaffed. Managers were a little pushy when it came to credit card sales and uniform. It wasn't the best but it was still a job.
Pros
great co workers, work wasn't too demanding.
Cons
schedule was given really late. Managers were unorganized.
Enjoyable work place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers find the clothes that fit them so that they look amazing in each outfit. Working with the Point of sale system signing in and doing the daily deposit. Management is always there to help when help is needed and easy to work for. They try to make each day enjoyable. Coworkers are always great with working as a team. The hardest part of my job is trying to track down that piece of clothing that the customer wants to purchase and it is at a different location. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They always are wonderful to help and they always make my day fun and enjoyable
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
not enough hours
Very Enjoyable with Supportive Management Team
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario20 December 2016
Plain clothes loss prevention investigator. Apprehended shop lifters, completed security audits and conducted internal investigations. Top female investigator in the region for 2 consecutive years.

Management was very supportive in career advancement and lead by example. Co-workers were extremely supportive and co-operative. Developed many, long lasting friendships while working at Hudson's Bay. The most difficult aspect of the job was working late evenings and sometimes overnight due to camera installation for internal investigations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the heart of the city in the largest Canadian department store.
Pros
Positive Environment, Location and Co-workers
Cons
Commute, Salary
Ideal job for the lazy
Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 November 2016
Credit acquisitions keep this sad facade of a company going.
Ability to sign up a couple of new account holders per shift is all that is required here. Many credit card 'superstars' are given lots of shifts and hours when they rarely do anything else leaving the other poor souls on shift with them having to do double the work.
Lots of talk about 'great customer service' but the staffing rarely makes that possible.
Pros
A few hard working co-workers
Cons
Credit card sign ups, lack of manager visibility
Dynamic retail experience
Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
Great culture for diversity and growth.
Key buying and management focused role. Opportunity to develop people management skills.
Foster great relationships for innovation and design.
First to market retailer showcasing fashion components within each category.
Great support teams available to each function
Really good location for a head office
A mature and professional workplace with great staff members.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 December 2016
Simply put everyone gets along tremendously and customers are mostly friendly as well. It's retail so it's not a 9-5 workday but the inconsistency with hours can be nice. I work in men's fragrances and nearly 100% of my shift is selling to customers, which is great! Although on slow days the shifts really drag on.
Pros
Staff, hours, and the job itself
Cons
Slow days
Good for part time - stay in school!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
Overall give 2/5 stars.
Absent/distracted management with high expectations. Depends on the department but busier departments deal with a lot of verbal abuse from customers, and little backup from management. Long hours (closing and opening), no benefits or overtime, only time and a half paid on holidays. Co-workers can be very selfish and not work as a team, only independently. Can meet very sweet customers but 6/10 very rude and entitled! Retail teaches you how important it is to go to school!! If you take on retail in general be prepared to be spread thin and pulled in a million different directions at times + to be thrown on the floor with no training and with co-workers who 90% of the time don't want to train you. General manager needs to mind who he/she trusts as managers more.
Overworked underpaid
Asset Protection Invistigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
As an Asset Protection Investigator I was poorly trained, underpaid and I wasn’t growing any longer in my career, not only was I not encouraged to do so, I wasn’t given the opportunity to. Going back to the training I was not trained properly to grow with HBC I got set up to fail.
The culture and morale were terrible. The management expect too much. If the API team isnt on duty the store has a complete melt down and associates cannot function without you and you get blamed. When in doubt call security.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am educated and have lots of security experience I believe I could have been more valuable if I had proper training IF I had a good management team. All in all I feel HBC let me down.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Awful Training, Poor management, too high of expectations, overworked, under paid
No one should ever work here
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 October 2016
My other employees are okay but most of the manager and supervisors are horrible. I don't see why anyone would want to work here. Maybe it was just my section (shoe department) that I didn't like or it was just overall everywhere like this. The head manager I think her name is Stephanie was so mean. I swear it was like she didn't even like me as soon as she saw me. It's like she already made a judgment of me before seeing my work or how well I work. And she kept bossing me around. So I just quit lol. I can find way better places to work than for this batch.
Pros
Cons
Basically what everyone else describes.
To enhance the productivity of outsourced people, HBC arranges time to time training in the field safety and productivity.
Warehouse staff (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 October 2016
HBC has outstanding culture of employment and also for the job satisfaction. This company has been expanding in EU market with their brands but Asian market has also been growing up in terms of consumption and per capita income. HBC should establish their stores in Singapore, Japan or in China to upscale the image of a Canadian brands.
Poor Relationship skills
General laborer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 October 2016
The manager is really socially underdeveloped. He doesnt know how to create good partnerships and relationships with workers and employee. He as a manager is really lazy. The work was general labour and I didnt hate it but at the same time I didnt see the growth in it because of the communication that the manager wasnt creating with the employees of the company.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor communication and teamwork skills
Great workplace once you become comfortable with those around you!
Marketer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 October 2016
Typical service sector job where customers can sometimes be extremely overwhelming. Great work environment, awesome and friendly staff. Hardest part of the job would be working at times where HBC seems to under staff the workplace. The job is most enjoyable when working along side those you are close with.
Pros
Great Atmosphere, friendly staff/management.
Cons
unpredictable hours.

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location