Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Good for part time - stay in school!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
Overall give 2/5 stars.
Absent/distracted management with high expectations. Depends on the department but busier departments deal with a lot of verbal abuse from customers, and little backup from management. Long hours (closing and opening), no benefits or overtime, only time and a half paid on holidays. Co-workers can be very selfish and not work as a team, only independently. Can meet very sweet customers but 6/10 very rude and entitled! Retail teaches you how important it is to go to school!! If you take on retail in general be prepared to be spread thin and pulled in a million different directions at times + to be thrown on the floor with no training and with co-workers who 90% of the time don't want to train you. General manager needs to mind who he/she trusts as managers more.
Very Enjoyable with Supportive Management Team
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario20 December 2016
Plain clothes loss prevention investigator. Apprehended shop lifters, completed security audits and conducted internal investigations. Top female investigator in the region for 2 consecutive years.

Management was very supportive in career advancement and lead by example. Co-workers were extremely supportive and co-operative. Developed many, long lasting friendships while working at Hudson's Bay. The most difficult aspect of the job was working late evenings and sometimes overnight due to camera installation for internal investigations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the heart of the city in the largest Canadian department store.
Pros
Positive Environment, Location and Co-workers
Cons
Commute, Salary
Very bad experience
In-Store Marketer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2017
Everyday is a struggle physically and emotionally. Constant re-setup due to lack of communications. Tons of hard labour work. No bonus. No appreciation. Micro management from the direct manager. No development once and for all. .
Pros
Saks employee discount
Cons
25 cents raise per year, can't call in sick without manager giving you a lecture about not taking advantage of sick leaves, seniors bully juniors when choosing day-offs and manager takes senior's side
great place to work
Cosmetic Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 October 2016
I love the The Bay and I still enjoy shopping there and visiting with friends I have worked with. I never go there without running into some of my long time customers who I consider friends as well. it is a very professional company and very well run. I still work there when someone is ill or during gift with purchase for estee lauder and Clinique. the benefits have been great too. I had to open the store and close it too. there was a lot of product knowledge involved which I loved. the hardest part of my job was during gift with purchase because sometimes we were so busy short staffed, but you just can do your best and we always managed. the best part of the job was that I loved my customers and girls I worked with, plus I loved the products I sold.
Buyer assistant - ladieswear
Buyer assistant - ladieswear (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 January 2017
Hudson's Bay, Buyer assistant role is not a 9-5 job, very little to no advancement.
Salary doesn't reflect the amount of daily overtime hours worked
Pros
unlimited vacation time
Cons
long hours, little internal promotions
Poor management
Loss prevention officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 August 2016
Work hours were ok until Christmas were your overworked, lack of pay and raises were only 10-20 cents once a year if your lucky. Working what your hired for is not what you do, you do all areas, I did security and had to do dock, stock, cleaning and more. When management was in trouble they lied and blamed me and my teammate was witness and told human resources what happened but since it was management that said I did it when it was him I got fired.
Pros
nothing
Cons
holiday hours, management
working with costumers
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
It was a good job and for the most part i enjoyed working for HBC.
working with costumers and helping them find the right outfit for them was fun, the one thing i didn't enjoy was pushing credit cards on people, it made me feel a bit like a shyster
Pros
good hours, got to be home every night
Cons
the salary wasn't enough to live off of
Overworked underpaid
Asset Protection Invistigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
As an Asset Protection Investigator I was poorly trained, underpaid and I wasn’t growing any longer in my career, not only was I not encouraged to do so, I wasn’t given the opportunity to. Going back to the training I was not trained properly to grow with HBC I got set up to fail.
The culture and morale were terrible. The management expect too much. If the API team isnt on duty the store has a complete melt down and associates cannot function without you and you get blamed. When in doubt call security.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am educated and have lots of security experience I believe I could have been more valuable if I had proper training IF I had a good management team. All in all I feel HBC let me down.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Awful Training, Poor management, too high of expectations, overworked, under paid
No room to grow,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2016
flexible hours, consistent, achievable budgets, no room for growth, rarely hires with in, not goo with giving raises.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no room for growth and development
Worst place to work
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
It's not a very good place in terms of benefits and balancing family life. Usually staff is not paid well and is under microscope all the time. I would not suggest working here
fun workplace
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2016
It is fun to work in the Bay especially if you are familiar with your co-workers already, but when it comes for associate that are mostly part times to become full timers and having benefits,its hard.
co-workers made the work experience so much better.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 May 2016
If you are not familiar with the retail environment, this place might be difficult for you to work with. They never gives you any kind of training and never tell you what rules do they have. All the skills and information are conveyed from your co-workers. Since there are no rules that clearly given, every associate might have different views of the system that works in the company.

The management in The Bay is definitely a weakness. They do not give out a clearly rules and guidelines. They never have a regular schedule, every week is different (that's mean you can't plan a social activity until you know your schedule).

In my department we have base salary + commission, which has pros and cons.

Pros: On a busy day you might earn $15-$20+/hr.
Cons: If you didn't meet your target, you will be in deficit. Thats mean you owe company's money, and you have to make it up later.

The best thing about this company is they have great associates, everyone is supper helpful and respect each other. It is a very fun workplace.
Pros
nice co-workers, commission
Cons
management, unstable schedule.
Commision
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 September 2016
The type of job is mostly customer service and providing the necessary of the customer,the management was and they provide nice benefits to the employees.
Satisfactory Retail
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2017
Despite being a huge, reputable company, employee wages are minimum. You work quite hard compared to other retail jobs since it is a department store. The HR and managers were helpful at the location I worked at, but quite understaffed, yet lacked hours. Clean place to work and you get to wear nice, black clothing to your fashion taste. If too busy, may not get breaks until much later if understaffed.
Pros
management
Cons
culture, wage, lack of advancement
Great environment to work in, friendly people, long hours, and new experiences.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 February 2017
A typical day at Hudson's Bay will start off fairly busy on some days, slower on others. I'll be in my designated are getting ready to talk with customers and assisting them with any of their needs. I would do that until lunch time, then get right back to it. I would get another 30 minute break, after that's done I would work until my working hours are done. I've learned multiple things while working at Hudson's Bay like being on my feet for long periods of time, folding techniques for clothing, and also how to approach various customers. The management of the company was fantastic, everyone was on their toes doing what they are supposed to and always looking for customers to assist. The workplace culture was great, people of different races working together and everyone was treated equally. The hardest part of the job was standing for that long period of time, but overtime I've gotten used to it so it just feels natural to me now. And also working for 8 hours a day was pretty tough since it was my first job. The most enjoyable part was interacting with new customers. I would never know what type of customer I would be interacting with each day and I found that really exciting.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
Low Moral, Unrealistic Demands, fun at times led by fun leaders and or associates
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 October 2016
I was a Manager and had approximately 25 associates I was managing and 140 overseeing.

Workplace - Positive, more negative with unrealistic demands
learned a lot about the business
Management - good overall; yet, separated and competed with each other at times and lost focus with working together
Co- workers - I enjoyed; yet, stressed a lot of the time
Hardest part - lack of listening to one another, lack of payroll, lack of teamwork and promotions
Enjoyable - meeting new people, coaching and training
Pros
Learned a lot about business, A lot of fun associates and willing to work when asked
Cons
Not a lot of teamwork, No consistent of hours
There are better places to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
Overall working in the cosmetic department was a good learning experience. I loved the brand I worked for but the Bay makes it very clear you work for them not for the counter you work at and they have zero respect for their employees.
-Department Managers are stressed which they enforce onto the employees.
-Daily targets you have to make otherwise you get drilled why you didn't make it.
-Phone calls everyday
-Commision based so people fight for sales and customers
-Credit Cards was the worst only managers get a bonus check for signing up new credit cards and the staff are the ones who have to sign people up. You have targets for how many credit cards you sign up and my manager put so much stress if you didn't make it you got a first warning letter if you didn't achieve your monthly credit card sign ups. You had one week to make it otherwise she would write you up .
-Also Department Managers always leave because there is so much stress
- I also saw lots of people fired without any notice you come into work one day and the next day your gone.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Zero respect, Zero job security, Stressful
Enjoyable work place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers find the clothes that fit them so that they look amazing in each outfit. Working with the Point of sale system signing in and doing the daily deposit. Management is always there to help when help is needed and easy to work for. They try to make each day enjoyable. Coworkers are always great with working as a team. The hardest part of my job is trying to track down that piece of clothing that the customer wants to purchase and it is at a different location. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They always are wonderful to help and they always make my day fun and enjoyable
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
not enough hours
Productive and fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 December 2016
My experience at the Hudson's Bay Company was amazing, interacting with customers on a daily basis was enjoyable and interesting. My co workers were very friendly and caring. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers because i didn't know how to react sometimes and the most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people everyday and building good communications with them.
Pros
Fun interacting with happy customers
Not a fun place to work
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Long shifts long days sore feet unfriendly supervisors really not a good place to work it's depressing to work here. The pay is not good enough for the work you have to do which is also a big downside
Pros
Cons
Long hours on your feet

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location