Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Most disorganized place to work, terrible management and awful atmosphere
licensee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
I worked for a licensee within HBC beauty underground. As a licensee the store was a little bit separated from HBC but their workers would waltz in our store and think they could use our supplies that was purchased by our company. When we said no to letting them use our things they would walk by with their noses in the air and pretend they don't see us anymore. Its not like we didnt want to share but if we lent out all our stuff it never came back and then we would be left without supplies. Their floaters were to make their rounds and look out for customers to help with sales but they would come in our shop and annoy us with small talk every single time they made a round. So not needed. I only ended up staying there for 6 months. From the top to the bottom all their employees were rude and unpleasant. Very disorganized company that stressed me out. No one was willing to be helpful they just had an overall negative impact. Unfortunately I do not have anything positive to say about HBC. Terrible experience overall.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
amazing atmosphere
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Montreal-est, QCJanuary 22, 2016
I loved everyone I worked with. We were all friendly and willing to help each other out. I have nothing bad to say about the company. If you work hard, you will be noticed.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Good job for me
order picker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 22, 2016
Its good company and typical to my day to day work place because its near to my address. environment is very good they have a good sense of humor when it comes to work and very friendly employee and supervisors. I ve learned to much experience when it comes paced environment. Hopefully soon i will be back to work with them.
Pros
good space for lunch room
Cons
10hrs work is too long but is good 4 days a week only.
Good experience in a fast paced environment
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Learning different things everyday like using a pump truck, packaging, order picking and shipping orders.The most enjoyable part of this job is you can see a lot of people from other countries and communicate and learn from them.
Fun workplace with talent recognition
Sales Associate - Retail (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 6, 2016
The Hudson's Bay is a great place to work especially as a student with requirements of rotational shifts as the managers are very friendly and reliable in providing the sufficient amount of hours to suit your needs. Working at The Bay you can expect to be a part of a very fast paced environment especially during the holiday season which has it's own benefits. If helping customers in various departments of the store is something that may interest an individual, I definitely suggest taking the steps to becoming an employee of the team.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Low pay compared to other departmental stores
Fun but inconsistant
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
They listed the job position as full time but there would be many time during the day where we would get sent home early making it hard to pay bills when they had you scheduled as a full time employee then send you home after 3-4 hours most days. Very nerve racking arriving at a shift, not knowing whether you were going to be there for the full time or not.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Long hours, sore feet, walk 8-10 hours a shift
good place to work at
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 14, 2015
good co-workers, Fun place to work for a seasonal job. Good pay, and good discounts.
con: discount only worked when you used your bay credit card.
Great staff, lot of hours for highschool students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSDecember 14, 2015
great staff to work with but hard to manage work and school with a lot of hours, little benefits with the company unless using a credit card
Was an enjoyable place to work.
Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
Nice office environment. People were friendly and helpful. Learned a lot of positive informatin to further my career. Led several large, intense and knowledgable teams.
Pros
Good environment
Connection
Ecommerce Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
Strong connection within the workers and management. Issues were immediately attended to.
Benefits are not very good, discounts were very low
fun workplace
Seasonal Support Associate (Former Employee) –  downtown torontoNovember 25, 2015
Hbc is a fun, educational place to work, that has great coworkers and leadership that is understanding of each persons different personality and management needs. I learned so much from working there. And made friends
Productive and well-run
Sales Associate - Ladies Fashion (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BCNovember 19, 2015
Fun work place, employees are nice and very easy to work with. Not all about sales and numbers, managers take the time to help train and encourage employees.
Excellent training program, and an overall enjoyable work experience
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Low pay
A Once Great Company
Rewards Administrator/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 16, 2015
After mismanagement following the huge recession of the 1980s HBC has changed ownership too many times and lost it's company culture. Management is abusive, will yell at staff right out on the sales floor, in front of customers, over things that are out of the sales associate's control. Wages are poor, merchandise does not warrant the high prices. God forbid if one of the local locations shuts down, upper management will do everything they can to squeeze you out so they can hire their friends from the closing store, including reducing your hours and lying about your job performance so they can fire you. I spent too many years watching excellent people being treated like dirt, being brought to tears on the sales floor, and lied about by management that I'd have anxiety attacks before I left for work each morning, before I realized I had Stockholm Syndrome, shook myself alert, and quit that hive of scum and villainy. HBC is only worth your time and dignity if you're looking for temporary seasonal work for Christmas.
Pros
Friendly and supportive co-workers
Cons
Abusive, underhanded, deceitful management
People friendly
Assistant lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2015
Days were always good as co-workers were all friendly. Hardest part of the job was when they moved me to night shift. Working with friendly people made the job much easier.
A day at work
Buyer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 25, 2015
I took to HBC my previous years of knowledge, passed on this knowledge to other colleagues. The companys moral is very low unfortunately.
Great Employees with supportive Management
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 21, 2015
Great Work Environment. Great management team. My colleagues are very helpful in so many ways. Always ready to help out.
Great workplace.
A mix of busy and dead hours that will leave you exhausted, both mentally and physically
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary,ABOctober 20, 2015
Because I had not been trained, I was not trained to be the cashier and hence most of my job would consist of organizing clothing and opening the change rooms for customers.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
long hours that should feel shorter then they are
The most enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCOctober 20, 2015
I enjoyed having a good laugh with co-workers or customers. Providing them with services to better help them in their searches for things in the store as well as returning things that just may not of worked out for the customer at the time.
fun and safe work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCOctober 17, 2015
A typical day here would entail meeting new people, helping and guiding them. organizing store display. Also required to sell the Hudson's bay credit cards and the Rewards Cards.
Pros
fun and respectful environment
Cons
not many hours for the week
assisting people
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto onOctober 10, 2015
I loved working with all my employees, everyone was nice and understanding.
I did not like the fact it was very hard to switch shifts when in need of an emergency.
It was uncomfortable knowing the sales associates were not entitled to sick shifts
Pros
50% of Merchandise
Cons
Not enough hours