Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews in Canada

High End Retail Low Chance of Advancement
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 28, 2016
Since the Hudson Bay Company is high end you have little chance of becoming a manager unless you have an MBA or some kind of secondary education mixed with experience. Work life balance at the Limeridge Mall store was pretty good when I was working there only had to work one week end and it is closed for the holidays. Worked there for almost six years, but only had a high school education no chance of advancement with that kind of education unless you work there for 10+ years.
Merchandising as an art form
In Store Marketer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 29, 2016
Daily meetings before work on what is going on in the company, new brands, monthly communication for lingerie and sleepwear plus other mark downs. I learned to set up in a timely matter, proper signage usage, consistency is key. Relationships matter between other In-Store Marketers, the Visual Presentation team, managers, vendors and customers. Overall department cleanliness with ease of shopping.. Branding for full impact statement. The hardest part was the early start at 630am. Most enjoyable was creating a wow factor in the strike zone that tells a story with point of view (colour, brands) selling the merchandise and seasonal elements.
Pros
Being creative daily
Cons
Early morning start
active and productive work
Auxiliary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2016
Typical day at work was always professional with a smile.
On a daily basis i learned how to keep customers happy.
Management could have been better due to the fact that one was always struggling because another would be away or on vacation.
Co-workers were great but there's always someone you don't get along with, but i made it work.
Hardest part of working there was fighting for more hours.
Making my customers feel happy with their purchases was my favorite part of my job.
A safe work place that offers many opportunities.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 24, 2016
Working at Hudson's Bay required you to stay alert as a rush could happen at any time. I learned how to use and operate the cash register and process purchases made by customers with efficiency. The management was very understanding and patient. The co-workers were very helpful. For example, when I was still new, they would be ready to show me the steps needed to be done on the cash register in order to complete a transaction. The hardest part of the job was that the hours were not flexible and it was hard to manage both school and work. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Productive and Fast Paced Workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  1800 Sheppard Ave EastJune 4, 2016
The Hudson's Bay Company was a fast-paced enjoyable work environment, the associates worked together as a team to accomplish sales targets, put backs, and fitting room services. I learned a lot from my experience at The Bay, such as Point of Sale -systems, increasing customer service skills and bondability with money. My most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of helping customers with their needs, and working alongside others in a friendly and welcoming environment.
Fun and Flexible retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2016
Like every other retail job you would find at a mall. The work environment is very professional although management is overly strict as I believe my co-workers and I did our jobs better than was expected. The hardest part of the job was something as simple as not being able to sit, since you had to stand for your whole entire shift, as expected. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility we were provided with our shifts, being able to switch them around as long as management was notified. One major lesson I took from this job was the importance of customer service and representing the brand you work for, as it was my first retail experience.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Long standing and waiting hours
Fun workplace
Cash, Sales Associate, Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hudson Bay, SKJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at the Hudson Bay is slow. While customers do walk through the store a lot of them already know what they want. The management staff as well as all co-workers always have a smile on their faces. The hardest part of the job is having to constantly re design an entire section multiple times, without helping any customers. For myself the most enjoyable part was helping customers.
fun workplace
-holiday decor installation
-signage installation
-lighting display
-prop making

I learned a lot things of retail store.
I did a filed placement art Hudson's Bay.( co-workers)
The hardest part of the job is signage installation, i have to stand on the ladder and measurement it by myself, i was up and down the ladder couple time,it was busy and hardest.

the most enjoyable part was learning new things, it was like how to styling mannequins and how to corporate the colour and match the dress and made it look great and attract customers.
Solid Performing company with international growth
confidential (Current Employee) –  OntarioJune 15, 2016
The in store leadership teams really care about their employees. They strive to find balance between commitment to the needs of the business.
The hardest part of the job is performance managment, when an employee isn't following the rules or isn't hitting targets its a hard conversation to have.
Pros
Great Corporate Culture
Cons
Retail shift work that includes, nights, weekends.
old school management and corporate mentality
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 30, 2016
They need to move forward with the times today in business approach and company standards and management techniques. The company does have promise but thy do not promote in a healthy way and there is a lot of drama within the company between staff and management but also with management itself.
Pros
pays well, good beenefits
Cons
old school thinking, micro management, poor communication
Decent work environment with friendly coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 16, 2016
Some weekdays at work were quiet while weekends were usually busier and work was based on 100% commission. This kind of work environment helped improve socialization skills and also multitasking skills during busy work hours. The hardest part of the job was sometimes maintaining quota during slow days. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with coworkers and customers. Co-workers were easily approachable and very sociable, maintaining very positive attitudes. Management at work was also decent and fair.
Very demanding physically
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2016
Not being an athletic person, hinders your ability to work in this job. The job descrption states you'd have to lift up to 50lbs, that was a lie, a normal day you'd only have to lift products that were 50lbs and typically proceed to lift 50lbs plus items. 70 pounds was a common occurrence. You're expected to lift this items and pack them in trailers like a game of tetris and not expected to fall and break your knees in the process.
Pros
Long lunches, later start time
Cons
Extremely heavy lifting
Enjoyable workplace, great co-workers, good environment.
In-Store Marketing Team (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 5, 2016
Being that I just come on Sunday's now, I usually work with the price changing team and go around the store doing mark ups/mark downs with the printer and scanner given to us. My co-workers are easy to work with and we all get along, which makes the job more fun. Previously before I gave up hours during the week (Monday-Friday) due to school, I worked with the in-store marketing team. We spent our days ensuring everything was presented the way we were guided by the marketing manager, re-stocked items constantly and re-arranged things daily.
Pros
Paid brea
I wouldn't recommend for any one who is thinking about their future career to work in HBC
Logistics Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2016
Management has no clue what they are doing and people are picked on based on who likes you and who doesn't. I am waiting to exit the Vancouver Logistic Center due to very difficulty circumstance at the workplace.

I have missed previous management team i have for but i know for a fact i will never miss these people here.

If HBC wants to stay relevant they must change their leadership at the level of DC managers all the way up to their SVP.
Pros
Absolutely nothing .
Cons
under paid over worked and to make matter worst they hire people with no skills to manage others.
Informative
Seasonal Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
My job included organizing the displays of ladies' accessories, working the cash systems in an efficient manner and assisting customers with picking what products to purchase. I enjoyed interacting with customers and learnt customer service skills as I worked during the Christmas period. My co-workers were very informative, helpful and patient in terms of training and as a result I gained a wealth of information.
Pros
Gain Experience
Vibrant workplace
Women shoes (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 7, 2016
Working in the women shoes section is like walking into your own personal closet, where you get to put shoes on that complement your figure and help women feel more confident about themselves. Management is good, being that the women shoes is a commissioned department, all the co-workers have their own language and we communicate very well.
Overall a professional and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 26, 2016
Working in Hudson's Bay as a Sales Associate allows you to constantly engage with customers. Overall a clean and organized work environment. You learn how to process all Point of Sale transactions and learn to efficiently use time management.
I believe that a typical day at work is overall fun due to the constant interactions with customers. The hardest part of the job is promoting the company's Hudson's Bay loyalty programs.
Pros
Good life balance
Cons
Boring when no customers
Energetic work environment with great people giving awesome service!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 25, 2016
A fun environment to work in, especially when you love shoes and get to sell them at work! Management is supportive and positive. The best part of my job is seeing a customer who is frustrated or clearly having a bad day, and being able to turn it around and send them out the door with a smile on their face.
Pros
flexible work-life balance
Cons
Short, sporadic shifts
Fast pace and Energetic place to work at!
Group Sales Manager Footwear Division (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 15, 2016
Had a GREAT time working at different challenging evolving position in management held for the career path at this outfit!
Constantly evolving and challenging Retail chain environment!
Was the first and longest operating chain store for the Canadain market place. Over 375 years of existence! it was a pleasure and priviledge to have worked for such a Giant on the Canadian fashion scene.
Pros
Family type approach with personnel
Cons
None except for my position abolished in 2004!!
Constant environment in workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 14, 2016
Every day is the same thing, you do the exact same things every shift. Nothing exciting occurs throughout a shift.
Age difference is a big factor. Im the youngest person there currently while everyone else is 21+.
Hardest part of job is that there is not enough to do.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Boring

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location