Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Enjoyed dealing with the public!
Sales Associate/Cashier - Jewellry (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 February 2017
First time working in retail and thoroughly enjoyed it as you are helping clients and in most cases it was rewarding. This was only a seasonal part time position.
Be able to multi task
Multiple positions (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC16 February 2017
This is a very difficult company to work for. The stores are always under staffed. You need to be able to work physically hard and do every job within the building. Staff is under appreciated and there is no job security. Communication between head office and the stores is horrible so that you are always having to redo things multiple times. Staff is excellent and great to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough staff. No recognition. Poor communication
Very productive workplace
Associée aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC15 February 2017
Many clients relied on this company and clients were usually loyal to HBC with their points cards and HBC Mastercard. Most clients were very happy with their purchases and customer service
Pros
Very busy place especially during holiday season
Cons
Sometimes too much pressure in dressing rooms
Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 February 2017
I got a job at Hudson's bay company as a seasonal sales associate and it was great experience for me. I really enjoyed those days while I was working there. I learned a lot in those days and I really enjoyed cultural diversity. I did not see any discrimination on the basis of religion or colour of skin. Management was great and helpful. Job was easy and most enjoyable thing about the job was that I got to meet different type of people and I learned how to deal with different kind of people and behaviors.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Good location as a step stone
Sale Associate & Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2017
Good location as a step stone, Stress and pressure from higher ups trickles down. Work on creating an environment that people want to stay in - listen to employees.
Great environment to work in, friendly people, long hours, and new experiences.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 February 2017
A typical day at Hudson's Bay will start off fairly busy on some days, slower on others. I'll be in my designated are getting ready to talk with customers and assisting them with any of their needs. I would do that until lunch time, then get right back to it. I would get another 30 minute break, after that's done I would work until my working hours are done. I've learned multiple things while working at Hudson's Bay like being on my feet for long periods of time, folding techniques for clothing, and also how to approach various customers. The management of the company was fantastic, everyone was on their toes doing what they are supposed to and always looking for customers to assist. The workplace culture was great, people of different races working together and everyone was treated equally. The hardest part of the job was standing for that long period of time, but overtime I've gotten used to it so it just feels natural to me now. And also working for 8 hours a day was pretty tough since it was my first job. The most enjoyable part was interacting with new customers. I would never know what type of customer I would be interacting with each day and I found that really exciting.
Pros
Fun working environment
boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2017
boring job, annoying customers, managers and other workers take their jobs way too seriously. Workplace is almost like a no fun zone. Thankfully i was only seasonal and left after 3 months.
Pros
location
Cons
people
All good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 February 2017
Good working environment. Good office building, and safe place. Good and convenient, great amenities. Good parking, very close to all highways, & more
Overworked underpaid
Asset Protection Invistigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
As an Asset Protection Investigator I was poorly trained, underpaid and I wasn’t growing any longer in my career, not only was I not encouraged to do so, I wasn’t given the opportunity to. Going back to the training I was not trained properly to grow with HBC I got set up to fail.
The culture and morale were terrible. The management expect too much. If the API team isnt on duty the store has a complete melt down and associates cannot function without you and you get blamed. When in doubt call security.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am educated and have lots of security experience I believe I could have been more valuable if I had proper training IF I had a good management team. All in all I feel HBC let me down.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Awful Training, Poor management, too high of expectations, overworked, under paid
very fast pace envoirment
Sales Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bramalea, ON3 February 2017
a day to day work life at the Hudson's Bay is very busy there is not always enough associates to get the job done one person is doing 5 different tasks at once. The team members are very friendly.
Cons
not enough pay for the work for the work we do
Productive place to work
Vendeuse et Service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 February 2017
This company is a good to work, i like the team work, i have learned a lot of things about the customer service and that can help me too to practise my french an english.
Constant shift changes
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 February 2017
Shifts were changed constantly, and many times staff were not informed until called at the new shift time. Inconsistent training. Management wouldn't let me quit, kept asking me to stay on the books, and only called me when they need someone to fill in.
Great people not so great job.
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2017
Love the people, but the job is not so great. Working with commission isn't the best in this economy. Not to mention the constant pressure to force customers to sign up for a HBC credit card.
Asset Protection
Asset Protection Investigator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
Daily reviews on CCTV (closed circuit monitors)
Make apprehensions based on criminal activity being performed on property. Ex; Shoplifting, fraud etc.
Install CCTV cameras both covert and public.
Perform health and safety meetings, stock shortage meetings, floor ownership.
I performed store Audits based on shortage results.
Trained staff for Active Shooter and Bomb Threat procedures.
Interviewing for internal termination based on findings.
Work closely with Ottawa Police, OPP, Special Constables and many different Security Agencies.
Also perform active security roles - any aggressive behaviour, under influence etc.
 Guide and give advice to customers on product selection
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2017
Job Title: Stocker

Guide and give advice to customers on product selection
Answer queries or complaints from shoppers
Stock shelves with goods and display items
Work within established guidelines with designer brands
Enjoyed working at The Hudson's Bay
Met different people everyday
Learned to understand different accents
Helping people was most enjoyable to me
Accessible for anyone, not hard, but tiring
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 January 2017
As an order picker, the day start with getting your scanner and get your item list to pick. Walk all day and pick items on all locations.

I learned other jobs like organizing, cycle counting. I learn how to work with so many people. I learned how to be detailed oriented as I try to make the job easier so I get it right.

Their management how they give the task can be messy. If you get to a location the items could not be found and you have to really search around. Skipping items due to not finding it in the locations causes other problems that would be given to other workers. The place is sometimes disorganize so it slows down everyone. Also they have overlapping shift during Wednesday and it's a whole mess. People not getting scanners and the whole place is crowded and lunch rooms can be packed.

The people I worked with seemed pretty nice or nicer than I expected. Everyone was somehow friendly since we are a team. The bosses aren't as mean as I expected for such a busy place.

The hardest part is trying to find an item that doesn't exist or not in the right locations. It's frustrating for everyone.

The most enjoyable part is finding all the items you need. It's satisfying not having any "skips." I also like how it can be peaceful just being on your own walking around doing your job. It's an easy job, you just need focus and discipline to do it for the whole day.

I like it overall, probably the best part time I could find out there.
Pros
fun, easy, able to learn new things as you go
Cons
long hours, small lunch rooms, small coat rooms, crowded sometimes
Productive and Fun Working Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ON23 January 2017
working at the bay is fun, there are wonderful clients, and employees. you expand on your communication, vocal, teamwork skills. i love the atmosphere, there are going to be good days and bad days, but in the end i love working at the bay.
Productive workplace that taught me a lot about working with people.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halton Hills, ON20 January 2017
At Hudson's Bay, I got the privilege of working in many different fields and with many different clients. This was such a privilege because I learned numerous different skills including communication skills and problem solving skills.
Pros
Not limited to one zone
Cons
short hours
Warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Warden and 40120 January 2017
The workplace is well and very enjoying. Everyone helps out one another. The culture is very ethnic and wonderful. The most enjoyable part is working and having the opportunity to demonstrate what I have learned.
Big family
Shoe stock-person (Current Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC19 January 2017
The Hudson's Bay is a large company with many associates in one store. It feels like a big family where everyone gets along (or doesn't) and makes the day go by faster. Management is competent and great to work for.
Pros
1 hour and a half break
Cons
poor employee discount

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location