Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Ideal job for the lazy
Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 November 2016
Credit acquisitions keep this sad facade of a company going.
Ability to sign up a couple of new account holders per shift is all that is required here. Many credit card 'superstars' are given lots of shifts and hours when they rarely do anything else leaving the other poor souls on shift with them having to do double the work.
Lots of talk about 'great customer service' but the staffing rarely makes that possible.
Pros
A few hard working co-workers
Cons
Credit card sign ups, lack of manager visibility
Enjoyable work place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers find the clothes that fit them so that they look amazing in each outfit. Working with the Point of sale system signing in and doing the daily deposit. Management is always there to help when help is needed and easy to work for. They try to make each day enjoyable. Coworkers are always great with working as a team. The hardest part of my job is trying to track down that piece of clothing that the customer wants to purchase and it is at a different location. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They always are wonderful to help and they always make my day fun and enjoyable
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
not enough hours
No one should ever work here
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 October 2016
My other employees are okay but most of the manager and supervisors are horrible. I don't see why anyone would want to work here. Maybe it was just my section (shoe department) that I didn't like or it was just overall everywhere like this. The head manager I think her name is Stephanie was so mean. I swear it was like she didn't even like me as soon as she saw me. It's like she already made a judgment of me before seeing my work or how well I work. And she kept bossing me around. So I just quit lol. I can find way better places to work than for this batch.
Pros
Cons
Basically what everyone else describes.
To enhance the productivity of outsourced people, HBC arranges time to time training in the field safety and productivity.
Warehouse staff (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 October 2016
HBC has outstanding culture of employment and also for the job satisfaction. This company has been expanding in EU market with their brands but Asian market has also been growing up in terms of consumption and per capita income. HBC should establish their stores in Singapore, Japan or in China to upscale the image of a Canadian brands.
Credit card promotion is the most important part of job.
Beauty advisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 October 2016
I worked in the cosmetic section of The Bay.
Dreadful experience. Micro managed with supervisor who had no idea what the job entailed. Fast turn over of staff, short staffed, experienced staff dismissed on a whim.
Sales don't matter you are only congratulated for getting people, new comers to the country signing up for a high interest credit.
Department needs a total revamp, as long term staff have become jaded and miserable.
Pros
New faces due to turn over of staff.
Cons
Long quiet days trying to keep busy whilst being micro managed
Poor Relationship skills
General laborer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 October 2016
The manager is really socially underdeveloped. He doesnt know how to create good partnerships and relationships with workers and employee. He as a manager is really lazy. The work was general labour and I didnt hate it but at the same time I didnt see the growth in it because of the communication that the manager wasnt creating with the employees of the company.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor communication and teamwork skills
Low Moral, Unrealistic Demands, fun at times led by fun leaders and or associates
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 October 2016
I was a Manager and had approximately 25 associates I was managing and 140 overseeing.

Workplace - Positive, more negative with unrealistic demands
learned a lot about the business
Management - good overall; yet, separated and competed with each other at times and lost focus with working together
Co- workers - I enjoyed; yet, stressed a lot of the time
Hardest part - lack of listening to one another, lack of payroll, lack of teamwork and promotions
Enjoyable - meeting new people, coaching and training
Pros
Learned a lot about business, A lot of fun associates and willing to work when asked
Cons
Not a lot of teamwork, No consistent of hours
Great workplace once you become comfortable with those around you!
Marketer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 October 2016
Typical service sector job where customers can sometimes be extremely overwhelming. Great work environment, awesome and friendly staff. Hardest part of the job would be working at times where HBC seems to under staff the workplace. The job is most enjoyable when working along side those you are close with.
Pros
Great Atmosphere, friendly staff/management.
Cons
unpredictable hours.
great place to work
Cosmetic Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 October 2016
I love the The Bay and I still enjoy shopping there and visiting with friends I have worked with. I never go there without running into some of my long time customers who I consider friends as well. it is a very professional company and very well run. I still work there when someone is ill or during gift with purchase for estee lauder and Clinique. the benefits have been great too. I had to open the store and close it too. there was a lot of product knowledge involved which I loved. the hardest part of my job was during gift with purchase because sometimes we were so busy short staffed, but you just can do your best and we always managed. the best part of the job was that I loved my customers and girls I worked with, plus I loved the products I sold.
Lovely job, lovely people
Retail Sales Person (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 October 2016
I did enjoy working at The Bay, though I had to quit because I needed more hours. My co-workers were exceptional and the customers were great. A great experience all in all. I learned a lot about merchandising since I had to help out in that regard quite a bit, and learned to take up leadership roles that before I would have been too shy to do. Hardest part of the job would definitely be the grey area when it came to rules and regulations, for example return policies and such. It was very much a "case by case" way of working and that was sometimes hard to deal with, nevertheless i dealt with every problem with finesse and certainty.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
contradictive policies
Flex hours
Team Lead - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
I enjoyed every minute of it because I am a people person and love t help customers who needed any help.

I also worked in mostly all the departments and get the exposure of the system. My managers were good.

I also work better under stress. I enjoyed the RTV and an Inventory
every year.
Pros
Nice store - clean and bright
Cons
Not enough pay the work you suppose to do
Fun and dynamic place
Clinique Accredited Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2016
Every day I am inspired to give the best possible customer service and to make clients to come and see me, leave relaxed and happy.
I've learned a lot about skin physiology as well as the ways and tips about make up.
I've been working with some great managers and co-workers that teach me every day how important is to stay positive and focused.
Bad
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Warden, ON8 November 2016
Too tiring, 10 hours shifts, ten hours of walking, sore feet. Minimum wage not worth it. A lot of problems with their RF scanners, hard to even find one. Management push to do more units per hour not taking into consideration that you're on your feet for ten hours. Management not friendly. Very sad to do this hard labor for minimum wage.
Pros
Work 4 days 3 days off
Cons
Too tiring
Growing company, constantly innovating.
Production Planner-Flow E-Commerce Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 September 2016
A typical day at work is having 200 people in the warehouse. It is fast paced and goals oriented environment. Constant change and continuous training due to new systems installation.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
no internal advancement, hard working employees/supervisors leave for better opportunities
Poor management
Loss prevention officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 August 2016
Work hours were ok until Christmas were your overworked, lack of pay and raises were only 10-20 cents once a year if your lucky. Working what your hired for is not what you do, you do all areas, I did security and had to do dock, stock, cleaning and more. When management was in trouble they lied and blamed me and my teammate was witness and told human resources what happened but since it was management that said I did it when it was him I got fired.
Pros
nothing
Cons
holiday hours, management
No comment
Sales in jewellery and watches (Fairview) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 October 2016
No comment. It depends on the branch and the store director. Many are not qualified to deal with employees. The inside training level is very poor. When this occurs, the correlation between quality of employee contribution and reward suffers greatly. Reward is based more on popularity, not work ethic.
Cons
Not enough hours
working with costumers
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
It was a good job and for the most part i enjoyed working for HBC.
working with costumers and helping them find the right outfit for them was fun, the one thing i didn't enjoy was pushing credit cards on people, it made me feel a bit like a shyster
Pros
good hours, got to be home every night
Cons
the salary wasn't enough to live off of
Merchandising as an art form
In Store Marketer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 July 2016
Daily meetings before work on what is going on in the company, new brands, monthly communication for lingerie and sleepwear plus other mark downs. I learned to set up in a timely matter, proper signage usage, consistency is key. Relationships matter between other In-Store Marketers, the Visual Presentation team, managers, vendors and customers. Overall department cleanliness with ease of shopping.. Branding for full impact statement. The hardest part was the early start at 630am. Most enjoyable was creating a wow factor in the strike zone that tells a story with point of view (colour, brands) selling the merchandise and seasonal elements.
Pros
Being creative daily
Cons
Early morning start
Company is successful , well-managed, products are of good quality
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 October 2016
workplace environment is peaceful and good.The staff is well managed and all workers work unitedly.Good quality products are assured.The workplace is safe and the whole work is organised well so that speed of work is increased.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
short breaks
My time working there was very enjoyable
Men's Wear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 December 2016
I was a fun job but very task heavy, I can honestly say I would love to work there again. Days were long and tiring but the co-workers help you get through the shift with their up beat attitudes. I will be re-applying.
Pros
Co-Workers are lovely people
Cons
Many Visits from higher ups

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location