Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Bay place to work
Management (Former Employee), South WestMarch 26, 2015
Pros: No pros
Cons: just to many things to write about.
It's a sweatshop where nobody cares about quality. You're expected to do KPI's but they change everyday-- you are encouraged to force people to get IC credit cards and auto locate if you don't you loose your job--with little or no information they expect you to say yes to everything. You have no job security at all. Upper management ie GM's come and go like product in the store. I actually feel sorry for them leaving good job to come her but have no security at all. I would not recommend this place to any one. I worked for 6 months realized management lies and they don't care about us only them self. They make us do surveys but GOD know you can not say anything wrong if you do you are fired or no shifts. I hated it.
Hudsons Bay
sales associate and customer service (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 25, 2015
I enjoyed the experience and loved the work atmosphere. The pay was low and there was no job security available. Wish i could have stayed
Its not really a job if you are a sneaker head
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2015
Basically you sell shoes on the floor and help people get their size from the back. You have to get used to the stock rooms. Just like any other retail job.
its ok
Sales Representative-Jewelry (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 18, 2015
working with customers was the benefit to this job. I would prefer to get more involved with my community and get respect from the people I work for.
Turn around company -
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Dartmouth, N.S.March 10, 2015
Pros: competitive new card program
Cons: product knowledge spread
Due to smaller volumes in Big Ticket Sales - sales associates are less specialized selling all departments rather than focussed on just 1 area like mattresses or appliances.
Poor company to work for
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Poor communication
I was employed 4+ years, 3+ as a manager. This location went through a few General Managers but the worse was the latest one who micro managed everything. Was not liked very well. He found a way to relieve me of my duties. This is not a review about a disgruntled employee. Just feel this was unjust on his behalf. He was removed from this store and placed in a training store which was not a promotion. Too bad this hadn't happened prior to my being let go by him. I believe I would still have my job.
very productive and fun helping customers
Marketing (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: never
Cons: never
8 am to 4 pm being Productive with whatever task you are provided with .
Work with team you will not go wrong or Independent but follow the company requirements
Keep Informed the Management
Respect others as you like to be treated,be a team player
Coworkers Political games
Bringing the food on the table and seeing family healthy,happy growing
Productive workplace and solid team
Visual Merchandiser/Presentation (Former Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 23, 2015
- It is a pleasure to work with a great team and conducive work environment at The Bay.
- Solid management
- Supportive co-workers
- requires good stamina & quick thinking for solving problems
- wonderful pay offs to see your work displayed and attract customers to come in and inquire about the products
Excellent environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free snacks
Cons: rude customers
One day during my shift this Senior Female customer whom I was helping fainted in front of me, and I made sure she didn't fall on the floor. right away I announced to my co-workers to send Code WHITE help which is a code HBC follows when anyone is sick and needs paramedic service. The whole process really impressed me because HBC is always there immediately at all times. I was glad the fact I was there to help the customer at a critical situation like that. My team responded as quickly as it should be and I am proud to save someone from getting a serious injury. therefore, I will try my best every time to always keep in people's safety.
HBC's turnaround
Merchandise Planning Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: solid business model that is viable in the long run
Cons: stores still lack brand consistency. big focus on flagship stores, little investment in smaller stores
It has been well documented that department stores are struggling to find its place in the quickly changing retail landscape. Hudson's Bay Company has done a fantastic job of rebranding itself and positioning itself upmarket where margins are better, and is no longer competing itself with lower priced brands.
Sales, Help customers, problem solutions.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: good environment.
Cons: fill hours of work.
* busy day, lots of shoes selling, stock organization
* labelling the shoes boxes, how to manager the cashier, how to sell charges
* solving problem with the customers (returns, defective, override price)
* making decisions with the team, sharing tasks
* standing up all day
* relationship with the customers
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), torontoJanuary 28, 2015
• Collected customer feedback and made process changes to exceed customer satisfaction goals.
• Provided accurate and appropriate information in response to customer inquiries.
• Addressed customer service inquiries in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Prevented store losses using awareness, attention to detail and integrity.
• Recommended, selected and helped locate merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
• Maintained a professional and productive work environment
just ok place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 22, 2015
Nothing much about The Bay, the summary is, it was not a good experience.
busy environment, fun and multiculture
Sales Associate, Customer Service (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 9, 2015
Engage and interact with customers including Sales Represent, Customer Service and Administrative Assistant.

being multitasking, patient with customer and building
successful relationships with clients are essential in successful sales.

on of the important factor in seales is team pleayer with our co-workers and i feel it how much it works to be successfull in a cycle os sales.

the hardest part of job is dealing with difficult client and customer when we need to keep them satisfied.

the most enjoyable part alwayes happen to me when I could help the people and make them happy and, I can't tel how much it make me feel good.
Exciting and positive
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Cons: seasonal work
Each day was busy and exciting. I enjoyed interacting with other employees of all ages and cultural backgrounds. Hudson's Bay attracts a wonderfully intelligent and out-going group of people who it seems are naturally supportive team players as well. When one person was learning a particular skill set there was always someone present who knew the skill and so would fill in the blanks. Our supervisors were supportive and approachable and likewise always encouraging. In general my experience at HBC was a very positive one.
Experience Being A Sales Associate
Sales & Credit Associate (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: choosing your break times, planning days off for future months
Cons: inconsistent work days, no over time, low incentives for credit performances
Working as a full-time sales person of a known department store is a good experience in retail, finding out how things work, how merchandise is received, stocked, and sold. It's a starting point for folks looking for employment to pay the monthly bills.

Coming to work doesn't involve much preparation, so long as you're dressed to represent. There are set weekly objectives for sales in each department and it's my goal to achieve, or personally, surpass these expectations in my assigned department.

Anyone new to working for this company as a sales associate should work with folks who are knowledgeable, approachable, and helpful when asking questions on how sales work in their respective department.

I was fortunate enough to learn from one of the best sales associates in the store I work at. My colleague was able to provide guidance and practical training on the sales floor. He was detailed and thoughtful on how the registered work, what procedures to follow, etc. It was up to me to take initiative in learning how the department works.

Merchandise comes in every so often. There's little training provided to learn about each merchandise's features or benefits. Most of the experience comes from viewing and feeling the merchandise. There are occasional product knowledge sessions provided by the brand companies & organized by the store, so that's a plus.

Management is given many tasks and is expected to fulfill them as quickly as possible. At times, they can come out as stressful or seen like workaholics. The store can also not be fully staffed, but at the same time, planning – more... staff on a monthly basis isn't a perfect science, considering the weather, sales, and other factors.

The work is very procedural, and as long as you follow the rules and policies, management won't complain. Support, in terms of following up with client complaints, is provided by management, and they will come to discuss issues with the client, at least at the store I work at.

Overall, I would say that if you meet and work with the right folks, work at the company will be enjoyable. – less
Merchandise Planning Manager - Specialty (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2014
Productive and exciting non-routine role with every day challenges!
Great for the part time worker.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2014
I sold furniture and appliances and while in school the commission earned from this provided me with more than enough in wages. Everybody working there is very kind and fun to work with. Management is always on top of everything.
n/a
Counter Manager-Cosmetics (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 21, 2014
Great atmosphere, friendly people. I loved working at the bay, gain good knowledge of skincare products.
Very good work experience
Store Volunteer (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 21, 2014
Lovely place to volunteer and work at. Nice work experience and fun loving employees

1 2 3 4 5

About Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), founded in 1670, is North America's longest continually operated company. Today, HBC offers customers – Read more