Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Great Work Environment
Stylist and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 February 2017
I loved working at Hudson Bay.
Its a company where you can easily find a balance with your personal life, with work life and school life.
Salary, hourly rate was fair and consistent
Fun and fast pace environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
nice place to work at. As an employee I was motivated and encouraged to shop there. The culture was nice as well as the management. You had a clear understanding of what you had to do and what was required of you to best assist the customers
Face Pace Environment
-Enter cash payment
-Pick up phone calls
-Customer Service
Busy Life
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB; Fort St. John, BC22 February 2017
As a Human Resources Manager I was responsible for hiring and orientating staff. This was a challenging position due to the high turn over of staff at the posts I held.. Not the companies fault but a result of the location of said stores.
Pros
rewarded with a high salary
Cons
not the best location
IT was a great workplace until the owner made a business decision to move IT to States
Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
Great co-workers, a lot of fun while it was Canadian company (the oldest Canadian company), great opportunities for a personal development
Pros
Various IT areas for a personal development, great people
Cons
There was no cons while it was Canadian company
Professional and friendly environment
Seasonal worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 February 2017
A typical day at work includes first of all customer assistance, sales and returns, also, organizing the area and cleaning it up. I have learned how to do transactions which included sales, returns, price checks, size checks and opening and closing in the beginning and end of work days. Every associate at this company puts the customer as their main priority. The most enjoyable part of a job is interactions between coworkers and customers. The hardest part of this job is time management, especially in busy days.
Pros
Associate discounts
Cons
Busy days
Enjoyed dealing with the public!
Sales Associate/Cashier - Jewellry (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 February 2017
First time working in retail and thoroughly enjoyed it as you are helping clients and in most cases it was rewarding. This was only a seasonal part time position.
Be able to multi task
Multiple positions (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC16 February 2017
This is a very difficult company to work for. The stores are always under staffed. You need to be able to work physically hard and do every job within the building. Staff is under appreciated and there is no job security. Communication between head office and the stores is horrible so that you are always having to redo things multiple times. Staff is excellent and great to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough staff. No recognition. Poor communication
Very productive workplace
Associée aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC15 February 2017
Many clients relied on this company and clients were usually loyal to HBC with their points cards and HBC Mastercard. Most clients were very happy with their purchases and customer service
Pros
Very busy place especially during holiday season
Cons
Sometimes too much pressure in dressing rooms
Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 February 2017
I got a job at Hudson's bay company as a seasonal sales associate and it was great experience for me. I really enjoyed those days while I was working there. I learned a lot in those days and I really enjoyed cultural diversity. I did not see any discrimination on the basis of religion or colour of skin. Management was great and helpful. Job was easy and most enjoyable thing about the job was that I got to meet different type of people and I learned how to deal with different kind of people and behaviors.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Good location as a step stone
Sale Associate & Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2017
Good location as a step stone, Stress and pressure from higher ups trickles down. Work on creating an environment that people want to stay in - listen to employees.
Great environment to work in, friendly people, long hours, and new experiences.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 February 2017
A typical day at Hudson's Bay will start off fairly busy on some days, slower on others. I'll be in my designated are getting ready to talk with customers and assisting them with any of their needs. I would do that until lunch time, then get right back to it. I would get another 30 minute break, after that's done I would work until my working hours are done. I've learned multiple things while working at Hudson's Bay like being on my feet for long periods of time, folding techniques for clothing, and also how to approach various customers. The management of the company was fantastic, everyone was on their toes doing what they are supposed to and always looking for customers to assist. The workplace culture was great, people of different races working together and everyone was treated equally. The hardest part of the job was standing for that long period of time, but overtime I've gotten used to it so it just feels natural to me now. And also working for 8 hours a day was pretty tough since it was my first job. The most enjoyable part was interacting with new customers. I would never know what type of customer I would be interacting with each day and I found that really exciting.
Pros
Fun working environment
boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2017
boring job, annoying customers, managers and other workers take their jobs way too seriously. Workplace is almost like a no fun zone. Thankfully i was only seasonal and left after 3 months.
Pros
location
Cons
people
All good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 February 2017
Good working environment. Good office building, and safe place. Good and convenient, great amenities. Good parking, very close to all highways, & more
Overworked underpaid
Asset Protection Invistigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
As an Asset Protection Investigator I was poorly trained, underpaid and I wasn’t growing any longer in my career, not only was I not encouraged to do so, I wasn’t given the opportunity to. Going back to the training I was not trained properly to grow with HBC I got set up to fail.
The culture and morale were terrible. The management expect too much. If the API team isnt on duty the store has a complete melt down and associates cannot function without you and you get blamed. When in doubt call security.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am educated and have lots of security experience I believe I could have been more valuable if I had proper training IF I had a good management team. All in all I feel HBC let me down.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Awful Training, Poor management, too high of expectations, overworked, under paid
very fast pace envoirment
Sales Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bramalea, ON3 February 2017
a day to day work life at the Hudson's Bay is very busy there is not always enough associates to get the job done one person is doing 5 different tasks at once. The team members are very friendly.
Cons
not enough pay for the work for the work we do
Productive place to work
Vendeuse et Service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 February 2017
This company is a good to work, i like the team work, i have learned a lot of things about the customer service and that can help me too to practise my french an english.
Constant shift changes
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 February 2017
Shifts were changed constantly, and many times staff were not informed until called at the new shift time. Inconsistent training. Management wouldn't let me quit, kept asking me to stay on the books, and only called me when they need someone to fill in.
Great people not so great job.
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2017
Love the people, but the job is not so great. Working with commission isn't the best in this economy. Not to mention the constant pressure to force customers to sign up for a HBC credit card.
Asset Protection
Asset Protection Investigator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
Daily reviews on CCTV (closed circuit monitors)
Make apprehensions based on criminal activity being performed on property. Ex; Shoplifting, fraud etc.
Install CCTV cameras both covert and public.
Perform health and safety meetings, stock shortage meetings, floor ownership.
I performed store Audits based on shortage results.
Trained staff for Active Shooter and Bomb Threat procedures.
Interviewing for internal termination based on findings.
Work closely with Ottawa Police, OPP, Special Constables and many different Security Agencies.
Also perform active security roles - any aggressive behaviour, under influence etc.

Hudson's Bay Company Reviews by Location