Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free snacks
Cons: rude customers
One day during my shift this Senior Female customer whom I was helping fainted in front of me, and I made sure she didn't fall on the floor. right away I announced to my co-workers to send Code WHITE help which is a code HBC follows when anyone is sick and needs paramedic service. The whole process really impressed me because HBC is always there immediately at all times. I was glad the fact I was there to help the customer at a critical situation like that. My team responded as quickly as it should be and I am proud to save someone from getting a serious injury. therefore, I will try my best every time to always keep in people's safety.
HBC's turnaround
Merchandise Planning Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: solid business model that is viable in the long run
Cons: stores still lack brand consistency. big focus on flagship stores, little investment in smaller stores
It has been well documented that department stores are struggling to find its place in the quickly changing retail landscape. Hudson's Bay Company has done a fantastic job of rebranding itself and positioning itself upmarket where margins are better, and is no longer competing itself with lower priced brands.
Sales, Help customers, problem solutions.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: good environment.
Cons: fill hours of work.
* busy day, lots of shoes selling, stock organization
* labelling the shoes boxes, how to manager the cashier, how to sell charges
* solving problem with the customers (returns, defective, override price)
* making decisions with the team, sharing tasks
* standing up all day
* relationship with the customers
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), torontoJanuary 28, 2015
• Collected customer feedback and made process changes to exceed customer satisfaction goals.
• Provided accurate and appropriate information in response to customer inquiries.
• Addressed customer service inquiries in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Prevented store losses using awareness, attention to detail and integrity.
• Recommended, selected and helped locate merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
• Maintained a professional and productive work environment
just ok place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 22, 2015
Nothing much about The Bay, the summary is, it was not a good experience.
busy environment, fun and multiculture
Sales Associate, Customer Service (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 9, 2015
Engage and interact with customers including Sales Represent, Customer Service and Administrative Assistant.

being multitasking, patient with customer and building
successful relationships with clients are essential in successful sales.

on of the important factor in seales is team pleayer with our co-workers and i feel it how much it works to be successfull in a cycle os sales.

the hardest part of job is dealing with difficult client and customer when we need to keep them satisfied.

the most enjoyable part alwayes happen to me when I could help the people and make them happy and, I can't tel how much it make me feel good.
Exciting and positive
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Cons: seasonal work
Each day was busy and exciting. I enjoyed interacting with other employees of all ages and cultural backgrounds. Hudson's Bay attracts a wonderfully intelligent and out-going group of people who it seems are naturally supportive team players as well. When one person was learning a particular skill set there was always someone present who knew the skill and so would fill in the blanks. Our supervisors were supportive and approachable and likewise always encouraging. In general my experience at HBC was a very positive one.
Experience Being A Sales Associate
Sales & Credit Associate (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: choosing your break times, planning days off for future months
Cons: inconsistent work days, no over time, low incentives for credit performances
Working as a full-time sales person of a known department store is a good experience in retail, finding out how things work, how merchandise is received, stocked, and sold. It's a starting point for folks looking for employment to pay the monthly bills.

Coming to work doesn't involve much preparation, so long as you're dressed to represent. There are set weekly objectives for sales in each department and it's my goal to achieve, or personally, surpass these expectations in my assigned department.

Anyone new to working for this company as a sales associate should work with folks who are knowledgeable, approachable, and helpful when asking questions on how sales work in their respective department.

I was fortunate enough to learn from one of the best sales associates in the store I work at. My colleague was able to provide guidance and practical training on the sales floor. He was detailed and thoughtful on how the registered work, what procedures to follow, etc. It was up to me to take initiative in learning how the department works.

Merchandise comes in every so often. There's little training provided to learn about each merchandise's features or benefits. Most of the experience comes from viewing and feeling the merchandise. There are occasional product knowledge sessions provided by the brand companies & organized by the store, so that's a plus.

Management is given many tasks and is expected to fulfill them as quickly as possible. At times, they can come out as stressful or seen like workaholics. The store can also not be fully staffed, but at the same time, planning – more... staff on a monthly basis isn't a perfect science, considering the weather, sales, and other factors.

The work is very procedural, and as long as you follow the rules and policies, management won't complain. Support, in terms of following up with client complaints, is provided by management, and they will come to discuss issues with the client, at least at the store I work at.

Overall, I would say that if you meet and work with the right folks, work at the company will be enjoyable. – less
Merchandise Planning Manager - Specialty (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2014
Productive and exciting non-routine role with every day challenges!
Great for the part time worker.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2014
I sold furniture and appliances and while in school the commission earned from this provided me with more than enough in wages. Everybody working there is very kind and fun to work with. Management is always on top of everything.
n/a
Counter Manager-Cosmetics (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 21, 2014
Great atmosphere, friendly people. I loved working at the bay, gain good knowledge of skincare products.
Very good work experience
Store Volunteer (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 21, 2014
Lovely place to volunteer and work at. Nice work experience and fun loving employees
Worked there 22 years. Loved it.
Lead Hand (Former Employee), Etobicoke, OntarioNovember 15, 2014
Pros: benefits, decent pay and great working hours.
Cons: pay is a little conservative until you reach a management position
Great people, great company, decent pay and opportunity for advancement. Sadly, the company was purchased and Zellers was closed. This created a mass layoff in which I was a part of.

I would definitely have stayed and was proud to work there.
Exhausting but fulfilling job that I had
Team Lead - Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 3, 2014
Pros: very good salary and benefits
Cons: culture differences and language barrier
A fulfilled job experience with a good pay, nice co-workers, and benefits at the end of my service. But definitely, will not exchange freedom for money.
Hard place to work, some staff were enjoyable
Team Sales Lead (Former Employee), saskatoon, skOctober 30, 2014
Pros: knowing the great sales ahead of time
Cons: inconsistent hours, and had to have store credit card to get discounts
At the Bay, we were required to sign up a new store credit card every eight hour shift, and were reprimanded if it did not happen, and it was not for the lack of trying. Some of the management were great, but some did not like confrontation. As a team lead, I was required to help and guide my fellow employees in my department, but if we needed to go one step higher to the managers, it felt that they did not want to help, or delayed in coming to help an upset customer, after our own efforts to try to help, as they'd get more aggravated that a manager was not coming. It felt that the managers did not back up their employees. I did work with a great group of girls, and were able to enjoys our shifts with each other.
Excellent Experience
Product Handler (Former Employee), Rexdale, OntarioOctober 22, 2014
Pros: employee appreciation, good environment, great management
Cons: lay-offs
Wonderful working experience over the past years working for HBC. Well treated and payed fairly. Enjoyed being an employee.
Shift leader at children department (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 10, 2014
Pros: positive work enviornment
Cons: inconsistent schedule
Shift Leader (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

Great co-workers
Lovely customers
Asset Protection Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 6, 2014
Over my years with the company, I got to work with some amazing people. The job was always different. I learned "GREAT" customer service.

Overall a great place to work.
Great group of people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Metrotown, BurnabyOctober 6, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: not enough staff
A typical day is arriving to work, greet customers and keeping the store presentable. Management team is good but could be better and co-workers are all very nice people. The hardest part of the job is to help all the customers when you are the only one on the floor. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting great people and making someone smile when they are having a bad time.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 4, 2014
Pros: working alongside co-workers
Cons: constant folding for long hours
* A typical day was pretty straight forward. Folding clothes, helping customers with certain clothing questions, helping them find the escalator or bathroom. Things of that nature.

* I learned how retail was like, the rush of the holidays, and about people, really.

* Solid management, very clear and straight forward.

* Great co-workers. All around the same age as myself, and supportive.

* Hardest part of the job was going up and down floors to exchange clothing that didn't belong there, and finding the rack or shelf in which it did.

* Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers, helping them with their issue, and having them leave with satisfaction.

1 2 3 4 5

About Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), founded in 1670, is North America's longest continually operated company. Today, HBC offers customers – Read more