Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
no management gradification to employees
Fashion Director (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 20, 2015
Pros: great staff
Cons: not enough staff
was just helping out they were short staff/ I knew someone in Management.They knew I could perform my duties hanging merchandise and serving customers without supervision,i worked in ladies wear.
A job that allows you to interact with customers and make their inner beauty show on the outside
Estee Lauder Beauty Advisor, PT (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSJuly 20, 2015
Pros: meeting new clients, great atmosphere, products you love
Cons: working nights and weekends
Meeting new clients and teaching them how to take care of their skin, analyzing their skin to provide them with the products that are best for their skin type and teaching them how to apply make up to feel as beautiful on the outside as they are on the inside.
Very interesting working with so many different people
Full-time sales associate (Current Employee), MississaugaJuly 17, 2015
Pros: You can gain customer-related skills
Cons: Small wages
The best part working in a department stores is that you can gain great customer-related skills because of huge volume of customers.

Hudson's Bay hire hundreds of people on seasonal contracts for the Christmas season, and if you want job at that time it is easy to get it. They have 2 to 3 job fairs starting in September, throughout whole October.
Learning opportunity, fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Southgate mallJuly 16, 2015
Pros: I learned about housewares
Cons: No opportunity for advancement, Locked in at starting salary
The job was a new experience. I learned about housewares which was something I had known nothing about. I loved the staff I worked with. I was however locked in at my starting wage even if I performed well. There was also not enough opportunity for advancement.
Recuiting new clients, achieving sales and personal goals, happy team environment
Estee Lauder Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Having wonderful teachers
Cons: Hours got cut
I enjoyed working in the beauty industry. There was always something new to learn and experience. It was an honor working with the team members from The Bay and The Estee Lauder Company.
Building clients and making women/men feel and look beautiful was my goal and I was able to reach my goals by listening and taking the time with each and every customer.
Productive and learning workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 3, 2015
I enjoy working at The Hudson's Bay Company as meeting with new people always make me joyful. My co-workers are really helpful and management always make us feel comfortable and we are appreciated and acknowledged on our work done on regular basis.
Always fun at work in the shopping mall
Team Leader, Calgary (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2015
Responsible for watch and jewellery department, making sure every customer has been helped and provided exceptional service to exceed customer’s expectation. Using available resources to provide accurate product information, including features, advantages/benefits and warranties. Understanding customer needs and preferences and recommend suitable items to customers.
It was a nice environment to work in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJune 23, 2015
I liked working at the Bay, the Co-workers were very friendly and the staff was very helpful!
I helped customers shop for specific occasions and told them about the new trends.
offered Bay credit cards, – more... we had to have at least 4 credit cards a month and i signed up 14 people in the first month of working and it kept going up and up.
worked as a cashier, did cash count at the end of the night.
Reported lost/ stolen items found in store.
Enjoyed signing up people for credit cards as they would get additionally 15% discount when they signed up. – less
Meeting and helping the Customer face to face
Customer Service / Sales Associates (Current Employee), Fairview Mall, Willowdale, toronto.June 22, 2015
Pros: Face to Face with the customers
Cons: Bear the rudeness of un statisfied clients
Open the cash register, recover the floor with proper merchandise, clean the service desk, greet the customers, ask them if they need help or assistant, help them to find their size, colour, design, etc – more... for their merchandise, check out at the cash, place merchandise properly in the bag and thank them, and also ask them to visit again. Achieve daily sales targets. Do returns of merchandise by machining the receipt with the price tags, if their is any mistake call for help of the manager. Call security if you find suspicious customer to alert them. – less
Fashion Consultant and Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2015
Selling merchandise, open credit cards for customers, doing cash registry. co-workers are really nice and supportive
largest Retial company in Canada
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 18, 2015
Pros: Employee discount
Cons: nothing
Largest retail company in Canada, Owned Simpsons and Zellers, very big accounts payable system, very good benefits, located in heart of down town
satisfactory environment
Team Lead (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 10, 2015
Pros: once a month free breakfast
Cons: odd hours
I trained all seasonally hired 10 co-worker in 1 week.

Problem-solver, result-oriented, punctual, well-organized, team player, & easily work under stress.

most enjoying part was dealing with customers face-to-face.

I make sure they leave with smile (happier) then when they arrive.
fun lively place to work, A great company too
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 9, 2015
day to day running of my department.

Open and closing cash registers.

Great customer service skills

Management are great.
Unprofessional management
Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible breaks
Cons: Low pay, painful holiday hours, one day sales, mean customers, no manager support
I was shocked to see so many positive reviews about working for HBC because all the co-workers I know hate it.

There is little to no respect given to employees by management. If you are being coached, – more... it is because you have done something "wrong" like not sign up ICs (credit cards) which by the way becomes morally challenging.

The employees are undisciplined. Managers are unprofessional and seem like they have zero control over every situation. Employees call in sick constantly and take extra long breaks. I was "promoted" to supervisor (which by the way came with no pay increase until I demanded one) I was told to not tell my co-workers when they were taking advantage of breaks and to go with a sweeter approach which then led to me not saying anything to my team. Now I basically punch a card and pretend to supervise because it became too confusing to really understand what they expected of me considering it was never discussed.

Customers are supported to disrespect you because management says yes to everything. Even if you think you are helping the store by following the return "policies" a manager will come by and make you look stupid in front of the customer and just say yes anyway.

All in all this job has had zero reward. There is no reason to look forward to coming to work except for making a few friends along the way. Management does not have your back. Customers are given more respect than the staff. – less
Productive; engage with customers and co workers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 23, 2015
Pros: Meeting interesting people----all walks of life
Cons: Thrown on the floor with little or no training on a new system. Learn on your own.
I sign in and register customers' purchases.
Help customers with finding items on Gift Registry. Product knowledge on merchandise.
I may repackage returned or clearance items for sale and inventory. – more...
I work well with my coworkers of all ages. We are like a family.
I have repeatedly excelled in performing as a leader in getting instant credits for the company.
I learned that "don't sweat the small stuff".
The most enjoyable part of the job is making good friends at work and that you are respected by your peers. – less
fun workplace
Sales Associate in Jewelry, Women's Fashion (Former Employee), montreal, quebecMay 18, 2015
great team, friendly and helping co-workers.
I enjoyed going to work, it wasn't a difficult place to work in, and the customers were nice as well.
Fun place to work
Seasonal Sale Associate/Cash Register (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 17, 2015
Pros: Commitment to help new employee
For a person who didn't have any experience this was great opportunity, and therefore for that reason I am appreciative
Very happy place
Sales / Cashier (Former Employee), torontoApril 30, 2015
I loved my job at The bay. It was a fun place to work at everybody enjoyed their shopping when they came in to buy or to just look at the things inside the store.
Good working experiencevery knowledgeable good co workers. Hatdest part of job work hours all over the board for aregular routine in life balance. The
sales job (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCApril 25, 2015
good working experience very knowledgeable good co-workers. Hardest part of job work hours all over the board for a regular routine in life balance.The most enjoyable helping people customers and co workers
Challenging, competitive environment with low payment
Team leader (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 25, 2015
Pros: Free coffee or pastry sometimes
Cons: Considering the number of hours, work load is high
Always a lot of work to do never finish
I learned a very good level of customer service
Management is not very professional
Friendly work environment
You can not finish the tasks they expect from you

1 2 3 4 5

About Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), founded in 1670, is North America's longest continually operated company. Today, HBC offers customers – Read more