Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Always fun at work in the shopping mall
Team Leader, Calgary (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2015
Responsible for watch and jewellery department, making sure every customer has been helped and provided exceptional service to exceed customer’s expectation. Using available resources to provide accurate product information, including features, advantages/benefits and warranties. Understanding customer needs and preferences and recommend suitable items to customers.
It was a nice environment to work in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJune 23, 2015
I liked working at the Bay, the Co-workers were very friendly and the staff was very helpful!
I helped customers shop for specific occasions and told them about the new trends.
offered Bay credit cards, we had to have at least 4 credit cards a month and i signed up 14 people in the first month of working and it kept going up and up.
worked as a cashier, did cash count at the end of the night.
Reported lost/ stolen items found in store.
Enjoyed signing up people for credit cards as they would get additionally 15% discount when they signed up.
Meeting and helping the Customer face to face
Customer Service / Sales Associates (Current Employee), Fairview Mall, Willowdale, toronto.June 22, 2015
Pros: Face to Face with the customers
Cons: Bear the rudeness of un statisfied clients
Open the cash register, recover the floor with proper merchandise, clean the service desk, greet the customers, ask them if they need help or assistant, help them to find their size, colour, design, etc for their merchandise, check out at the cash, place merchandise properly in the bag and thank them, and also ask them to visit again. Achieve daily sales targets. Do returns of merchandise by machining the receipt with the price tags, if their is any mistake call for help of the manager. Call security if you find suspicious customer to alert them.
Fashion Consultant and Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2015
Selling merchandise, open credit cards for customers, doing cash registry. co-workers are really nice and supportive
largest Retial company in Canada
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 18, 2015
Pros: Employee discount
Cons: nothing
Largest retail company in Canada, Owned Simpsons and Zellers, very big accounts payable system, very good benefits, located in heart of down town
satisfactory environment
Team Lead (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 10, 2015
Pros: once a month free breakfast
Cons: odd hours
I trained all seasonally hired 10 co-worker in 1 week.

Problem-solver, result-oriented, punctual, well-organized, team player, & easily work under stress.

most enjoying part was dealing with customers face-to-face.

I make sure they leave with smile (happier) then when they arrive.
fun lively place to work, A great company too
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 9, 2015
day to day running of my department.

Open and closing cash registers.

Great customer service skills

Management are great.
Unprofessional management
Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible breaks
Cons: Low pay, painful holiday hours, one day sales, mean customers, no manager support
I was shocked to see so many positive reviews about working for HBC because all the co-workers I know hate it.

There is little to no respect given to employees by management. If you are being coached, it is because you have done something "wrong" like not sign up ICs (credit cards) which by the way becomes morally challenging.

The employees are undisciplined. Managers are unprofessional and seem like they have zero control over every situation. Employees call in sick constantly and take extra long breaks. I was "promoted" to supervisor (which by the way came with no pay increase until I demanded one) I was told to not tell my co-workers when they were taking advantage of breaks and to go with a sweeter approach which then led to me not saying anything to my team. Now I basically punch a card and pretend to supervise because it became too confusing to really understand what they expected of me considering it was never discussed.

Customers are supported to disrespect you because management says yes to everything. Even if you think you are helping the store by following the return "policies" a manager will come by and make you look stupid in front of the customer and just say yes anyway.

All in all this job has had zero reward. There is no reason to look forward to coming to work except for making a few friends along the way. Management does not have your back. Customers are given more respect than the staff.
Productive; engage with customers and co workers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 23, 2015
Pros: Meeting interesting people----all walks of life
Cons: Thrown on the floor with little or no training on a new system. Learn on your own.
I sign in and register customers' purchases.
Help customers with finding items on Gift Registry. Product knowledge on merchandise.
I may repackage returned or clearance items for sale and inventory.
I work well with my coworkers of all ages. We are like a family.
I have repeatedly excelled in performing as a leader in getting instant credits for the company.
I learned that "don't sweat the small stuff".
The most enjoyable part of the job is making good friends at work and that you are respected by your peers.
fun workplace
Sales Associate in Jewelry, Women's Fashion (Former Employee), montreal, quebecMay 18, 2015
great team, friendly and helping co-workers.
I enjoyed going to work, it wasn't a difficult place to work in, and the customers were nice as well.
Fun place to work
Seasonal Sale Associate/Cash Register (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 17, 2015
Pros: Commitment to help new employee
For a person who didn't have any experience this was great opportunity, and therefore for that reason I am appreciative
Very happy place
Sales / Cashier (Former Employee), torontoApril 30, 2015
I loved my job at The bay. It was a fun place to work at everybody enjoyed their shopping when they came in to buy or to just look at the things inside the store.
Good working experiencevery knowledgeable good co workers. Hatdest part of job work hours all over the board for aregular routine in life balance. The
sales job (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCApril 25, 2015
good working experience very knowledgeable good co-workers. Hardest part of job work hours all over the board for a regular routine in life balance.The most enjoyable helping people customers and co workers
Challenging, competitive environment with low payment
Team leader (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 25, 2015
Pros: Free coffee or pastry sometimes
Cons: Considering the number of hours, work load is high
Always a lot of work to do never finish
I learned a very good level of customer service
Management is not very professional
Friendly work environment
You can not finish the tasks they expect from you
It was a good work experience
Human Resource Administrator - Western Region (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 20, 2015
Very busy environment, always an adventure. Learned that each manager has their own way of doing things.
Co-workers were nice to work with on a daily basis.

Enjoyed the interaction with the employees and customers.
Overall a great job.
Sales (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MB.April 9, 2015
Pros: Nice people.
Cons: Too much pressure to sell instant credit accounts to people who don't need them.
The Bay I worked at was very run down and the management failed to put any money into reviving it. It used to operate on 6 floors but now only runs on 3 of them. It's very quiet most of the time with not much traffic going through the store, and this meant less hours for everyone, as well as less revenue. The job itself was good, it was just hard to find things to do all the time when there weren't any customers, which was 60% of the time. I found myself arranging the smallest details of the displays until the shift was up.
The managers were good for the most part as well, though they kept pushing us to sell more instant credit accounts every day, something that drove me crazy, especially when you would only get an average of 4 customers per shift. I liked basically every aspect of my job, except for the pressure to sell those I.C.'s, and a few other products they pushed you to sell.
The actual work environment was O.K., despite the physical appearance of the store to be in shambles (crumbling walls, floor tiles chipped or missing throughout the store, etc.)
Great and Productive Workplace
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 8, 2015
The mangers are great and its a very positive workplace. Other associates are amazing as well. The hours are very flexible and the work is never too difficult.
Fun job
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 6, 2015
Pros: fun environment
Cons: part time hours
provide customer service and have fun giving customers advice on the right purchase. Handled inventory and had fun admiring new products.
Professional and fast-paced yet an amazing experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Queen and Bay, Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Pros: Employee perks and discounts.
Having a dress code really sets up an environment that's professional and it has an effect on our mindset too, to provide the customers with the best service possible in a timely fashion.
It was an amazing experience overall to work for HBC. I learnt how to deal with customers in unique way. I have to greet them as soon as they enter my department, know what they're looking for, know our products thoroughly to recommend one that suits their need, walk them to the cash register to ring their purchases in.
The management is really cooperative and they believe in team work, because at the end of the day it is the associates that create an impression of the company.
The co-workers are friendly and helpful as well. I think the hiring process is refined enough to pick people who seem to have a personality that reflect the company culture and together the associates achieve synergy.
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part of the job, which is during holidays it is really busy and we need to be on our toes to help each customer as efficiently as we would during regular days. It gets hectic, but I love the fast-paced working environment, helping as many people as I could, just to make their day a little better.
Nice people
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), torontoMarch 27, 2015
its an interesting place to work. The management is nice also the co-workers are nice. They try to make working more fun.

1 2 3 4 5

About Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), founded in 1670, is North America's longest continually operated company. Today, HBC offers customers – Read more