Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Challenging, competitive environment with low payment
Team leader (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 25, 2015
Pros: Free coffee or pastry sometimes
Cons: Considering the number of hours, work load is high
Always a lot of work to do never finish
I learned a very good level of customer service
Management is not very professional
Friendly work environment
You can not finish the tasks they expect from you
It was a good work experience
Human Resource Administrator - Western Region (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 20, 2015
Very busy environment, always an adventure. Learned that each manager has their own way of doing things.
Co-workers were nice to work with on a daily basis.

Enjoyed the interaction with the employees and customers.
Overall a great job.
Sales (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MB.April 9, 2015
Pros: Nice people.
Cons: Too much pressure to sell instant credit accounts to people who don't need them.
The Bay I worked at was very run down and the management failed to put any money into reviving it. It used to operate on 6 floors but now only runs on 3 of them. It's very quiet most of the time with not much traffic going through the store, and this meant less hours for everyone, as well as less revenue. The job itself was good, it was just hard to find things to do all the time when there weren't any customers, which was 60% of the time. I found myself arranging the smallest details of the displays until the shift was up.
The managers were good for the most part as well, though they kept pushing us to sell more instant credit accounts every day, something that drove me crazy, especially when you would only get an average of 4 customers per shift. I liked basically every aspect of my job, except for the pressure to sell those I.C.'s, and a few other products they pushed you to sell.
The actual work environment was O.K., despite the physical appearance of the store to be in shambles (crumbling walls, floor tiles chipped or missing throughout the store, etc.)
Great and Productive Workplace
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 8, 2015
The mangers are great and its a very positive workplace. Other associates are amazing as well. The hours are very flexible and the work is never too difficult.
Fun job
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 6, 2015
Pros: fun environment
Cons: part time hours
provide customer service and have fun giving customers advice on the right purchase. Handled inventory and had fun admiring new products.
Professional and fast-paced yet an amazing experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Queen and Bay, Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Pros: Employee perks and discounts.
Having a dress code really sets up an environment that's professional and it has an effect on our mindset too, to provide the customers with the best service possible in a timely fashion.
It was an amazing experience overall to work for HBC. I learnt how to deal with customers in unique way. I have to greet them as soon as they enter my department, know what they're looking for, know our products thoroughly to recommend one that suits their need, walk them to the cash register to ring their purchases in.
The management is really cooperative and they believe in team work, because at the end of the day it is the associates that create an impression of the company.
The co-workers are friendly and helpful as well. I think the hiring process is refined enough to pick people who seem to have a personality that reflect the company culture and together the associates achieve synergy.
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part of the job, which is during holidays it is really busy and we need to be on our toes to help each customer as efficiently as we would during regular days. It gets hectic, but I love the fast-paced working environment, helping as many people as I could, just to make their day a little better.
Nice people
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), torontoMarch 27, 2015
its an interesting place to work. The management is nice also the co-workers are nice. They try to make working more fun.
Bay place to work
Management (Former Employee), South WestMarch 26, 2015
Pros: No pros
Cons: just to many things to write about.
It's a sweatshop where nobody cares about quality. You're expected to do KPI's but they change everyday-- you are encouraged to force people to get IC credit cards and auto locate if you don't you loose your job--with little or no information they expect you to say yes to everything. You have no job security at all. Upper management ie GM's come and go like product in the store. I actually feel sorry for them leaving good job to come her but have no security at all. I would not recommend this place to any one. I worked for 6 months realized management lies and they don't care about us only them self. They make us do surveys but GOD know you can not say anything wrong if you do you are fired or no shifts. I hated it.
Hudsons Bay
sales associate and customer service (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 25, 2015
I enjoyed the experience and loved the work atmosphere. The pay was low and there was no job security available. Wish i could have stayed
Its not really a job if you are a sneaker head
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2015
Basically you sell shoes on the floor and help people get their size from the back. You have to get used to the stock rooms. Just like any other retail job.
its ok
Sales Representative-Jewelry (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 18, 2015
working with customers was the benefit to this job. I would prefer to get more involved with my community and get respect from the people I work for.
Turn around company -
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Dartmouth, N.S.March 10, 2015
Pros: competitive new card program
Cons: product knowledge spread
Due to smaller volumes in Big Ticket Sales - sales associates are less specialized selling all departments rather than focussed on just 1 area like mattresses or appliances.
Poor company to work for
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Poor communication
I was employed 4+ years, 3+ as a manager. This location went through a few General Managers but the worse was the latest one who micro managed everything. Was not liked very well. He found a way to relieve me of my duties. This is not a review about a disgruntled employee. Just feel this was unjust on his behalf. He was removed from this store and placed in a training store which was not a promotion. Too bad this hadn't happened prior to my being let go by him. I believe I would still have my job.
very productive and fun helping customers
Marketing (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: never
Cons: never
8 am to 4 pm being Productive with whatever task you are provided with .
Work with team you will not go wrong or Independent but follow the company requirements
Keep Informed the Management
Respect others as you like to be treated,be a team player
Coworkers Political games
Bringing the food on the table and seeing family healthy,happy growing
Productive workplace and solid team
Visual Merchandiser/Presentation (Former Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 23, 2015
- It is a pleasure to work with a great team and conducive work environment at The Bay.
- Solid management
- Supportive co-workers
- requires good stamina & quick thinking for solving problems
- wonderful pay offs to see your work displayed and attract customers to come in and inquire about the products
Excellent environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free snacks
Cons: rude customers
One day during my shift this Senior Female customer whom I was helping fainted in front of me, and I made sure she didn't fall on the floor. right away I announced to my co-workers to send Code WHITE help which is a code HBC follows when anyone is sick and needs paramedic service. The whole process really impressed me because HBC is always there immediately at all times. I was glad the fact I was there to help the customer at a critical situation like that. My team responded as quickly as it should be and I am proud to save someone from getting a serious injury. therefore, I will try my best every time to always keep in people's safety.
HBC's turnaround
Merchandise Planning Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: solid business model that is viable in the long run
Cons: stores still lack brand consistency. big focus on flagship stores, little investment in smaller stores
It has been well documented that department stores are struggling to find its place in the quickly changing retail landscape. Hudson's Bay Company has done a fantastic job of rebranding itself and positioning itself upmarket where margins are better, and is no longer competing itself with lower priced brands.
Sales, Help customers, problem solutions.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: good environment.
Cons: fill hours of work.
* busy day, lots of shoes selling, stock organization
* labelling the shoes boxes, how to manager the cashier, how to sell charges
* solving problem with the customers (returns, defective, override price)
* making decisions with the team, sharing tasks
* standing up all day
* relationship with the customers
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), torontoJanuary 28, 2015
• Collected customer feedback and made process changes to exceed customer satisfaction goals.
• Provided accurate and appropriate information in response to customer inquiries.
• Addressed customer service inquiries in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Prevented store losses using awareness, attention to detail and integrity.
• Recommended, selected and helped locate merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
• Maintained a professional and productive work environment
just ok place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 22, 2015
Nothing much about The Bay, the summary is, it was not a good experience.

1 2 3 4 5

About Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), founded in 1670, is North America's longest continually operated company. Today, HBC offers customers – Read more