Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast pace and Energetic place to work at!
Group Sales Manager Footwear Division (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 15, 2016
Had a GREAT time working at different challenging evolving position in management held for the career path at this outfit!
Constantly evolving and challenging Retail chain environment!
Was the first and longest operating chain store for the Canadain market place. Over 375 years of existence! it was a pleasure and priviledge to have worked for such a Giant on the Canadian fashion scene.
Pros
Family type approach with personnel
Cons
None except for my position abolished in 2004!!
Good job
Ladies' Footwear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Hudson's Bay is incredibly flexible with their hours which is perfect for students. Nonetheless, there is absolutely no job security, no guaranteed shifts/hours, etc. Management could be better and more clear with their wishes. The hardest part of the job is getting people to open up credit cards. If you fail to open up 1+ IC (Instant Credit) per week you risk losing your job. The most enjoyable part of the job is the environment and people. The biggest CON about working at Hudson's Bay is that you do not receive an employee discount if you do not have their credit card. :( If you do, it is 25% off clothes, fashion, etc. 20% off cosmetics.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No Security
Energetic work environment with great people giving awesome service!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 25, 2016
A fun environment to work in, especially when you love shoes and get to sell them at work! Management is supportive and positive. The best part of my job is seeing a customer who is frustrated or clearly having a bad day, and being able to turn it around and send them out the door with a smile on their face.
Pros
flexible work-life balance
Cons
Short, sporadic shifts
Not a Very Motivational Place
Beauty Advisor and Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  London, ONDecember 11, 2015
Typical day at work is long and often boring. Management is always on your back. Discounts are not very good considering the wage and benefits are also not very beneficial unless you have worked there for years. Co workers were great! Management doesn't seem to ever really know what is going on. Communication is lacking. Negativity and scare tactics rather than praise and reward.
Sincerely enjoy working wit people, the positive atmosphere.
Cosmetic Counter Manager-Hudson Bay. (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
The Hudson' Bay company made me a proud, and happy
employee every time.
I learned Reliability, dependability, determination, confidence.
The management is awesome and professional in every way.
I had great relationship with all the Co- workers.
The hardest part of the job?? I can not remember any hard part.
The most enjoyable part of the job is... just to be there.

Certainly have been made me feel special.
Pros
free lunch is a great thing.
Cons
I can manage long hours wery well.
Best Retail Job
Ladies Wear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 15, 2016
A great entry-level job for retail associates. Co-workers are friendly and reliable, management is coordinated, organized and "hands-on". A typical day at work includes:
- attending a morning meeting where we discuss sales objectives, achievements, and in-store promotions and events.
- smiling and greeting customers and engaging in conversations with them, whilst fulfilling their needs.
- organizing and maintaining the sales floor, by ensuring items are ticketed properly and not on the floor.
- tidying and assisting customers using the fitting room, putting items on hold.
- using "Autolocate" system, to connect online orders for customers in our store.
- signing up customers for store credit cards and rewards points cards.
The most difficult thing is dealing with emotional dissonance; when you are dealing with a very aggressive, angry customer and trying to disconnect yourself from your personal emotions to assist them in the most positive and effective way.
The most enjoyable part is working with a great team, both my management and peers, with a flexible work schedule.
Pros
Great Discount and Fair Wages
Cons
Aggressive customers
Best place to work if you are a people person
Fulfillment Specialist/Office Admin (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2016
Co-workers tend to have a fun outlook of life. They work hard and play harder! The culture is unlike any place I have worked. You meet so many different people. Sometimes you have to be really patient, people are not always kind.
Pros
Great people to work with
Fun place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
- Greeting and helping customers in finding what they want
- Refer autolocates and credit cards to customers
- Folding and arranging clothes
- Coworkers are great people
- Considerable management
Pros
Sales associate discount, flexible hours, great benefits if you're full time
Cons
Asking customers to open a credit account with the company, autolocates and target sales, short-staffed
Management is Poor - Job is OK
sale associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 28, 2015
I worked in Cosmetics - I did learn about skin care & make up, met wonderful customers who cared. For what had to be done the rate of pay was very low with high expectations. The sales manager picked favorites, and was critical of small cosmetic lines. She took her smoke breaks with "selective" employees and was the source of gossip. She made sure that those she did not like were told about there performance failures on a regular base. The set targets for sales were often unrealistic.Respect & competition between cosmetic lines were intense. Co workers looked out for them selves, and took customers from your counter to their cosmetic lines, just to secure (steal) a sale.
Major Department Promotions were over done and the staff suffered from burnout. We were able to schedule our own hours for work but by the time the schedule got to the small counters they were left with the evening & weekend shifts. Store manager was non existent, just walking thru the store when the head office people were in town.
If you get on with a big cosmetic line the job is ok - but don't expect to get ahead financially.
Pros
uniform provided by cosmetic company
Cons
bad management, work schedules, low pay
laid back enjoyable place to work
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 15, 2016
good work place you can work hard without a lot of supervision co-workers are very friendly so is management there isn't anything difficult about the job
Pros
free lunches
Cons
A job, I enjoy where I get to express my own fashion ideas
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Very nice place to work, laid back and respectable. Management treats employees nicely which is reflected on the way employees treat customers - it is important since it is a customer service oriented job. You get to learn a lot about shoes in regards to the season and which ones go with a certain outfit. You are taught how to engage a customer in a friendly manner as well as certain techniques to sell them the product.

The most challenging part of my job is making my sales target which can be letdown on some nights for my own commission. However, I feel that my skills and the way I interact with my customers have usually put me on the good end of a majority of nights, and I have been rewarded with commission and extra praise from my managers.

I really enjoy working at the bay because I feel I get to help customers complete their outfit for important events, such as weddings...etc. I get to interact with different people with different styles and I even get to learn a thing or to from them.
Pros
Commission and Treatment of Employees
Cons
Short Shifts
A average workplace with bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Christmas time it's quite busy at The Bay, as a sales associate
in the jewellery department. Sales were always competitive, management had a quote that needed to be reached. I learned the right correct competitive nature needed to bring to work.
Pros
Cons
a lot
Beautiful area
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2015
really nice atmosphere, the good relationship in intersection management. happy faces, work hard, professional manager, good benefits
A Once Great Company
Rewards Administrator/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 16, 2015
After mismanagement following the huge recession of the 1980s HBC has changed ownership too many times and lost it's company culture. Management is abusive, will yell at staff right out on the sales floor, in front of customers, over things that are out of the sales associate's control. Wages are poor, merchandise does not warrant the high prices. God forbid if one of the local locations shuts down, upper management will do everything they can to squeeze you out so they can hire their friends from the closing store, including reducing your hours and lying about your job performance so they can fire you. I spent too many years watching excellent people being treated like dirt, being brought to tears on the sales floor, and lied about by management that I'd have anxiety attacks before I left for work each morning, before I realized I had Stockholm Syndrome, shook myself alert, and quit that hive of scum and villainy. HBC is only worth your time and dignity if you're looking for temporary seasonal work for Christmas.
Pros
Friendly and supportive co-workers
Cons
Abusive, underhanded, deceitful management
Professional Work place and result oriented
SR Financial Analyst contract (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 8, 2016
Work 37.5 hrs a day with some new processed.
Learn system and different reporting structure.
Management are understanding and caring of the employees interest to progress.
Co-workers are helpful to meet strict deadline if needed.
The passion of the team to meet strict deadline.
Gathering information from other departments to meet the deadline. Being proactive helps in this situation.
Enjoy the friendly,caring and professional atmosphere.
Pros
Ability to learn new responsibilities and system
Cons
New Information not also communicated
Overall a professional and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 26, 2016
Working in Hudson's Bay as a Sales Associate allows you to constantly engage with customers. Overall a clean and organized work environment. You learn how to process all Point of Sale transactions and learn to efficiently use time management.
I believe that a typical day at work is overall fun due to the constant interactions with customers. The hardest part of the job is promoting the company's Hudson's Bay loyalty programs.
Pros
Good life balance
Cons
Boring when no customers
Very fun, but yet very stressful work.
Supply Chain Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Management were all stressed out and worked long hours to make deadlines. The best part was the sample sales and great deals.
Fun work environement
security (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Hudson's Bay is home to all walks of life, and many of them, like all of us, have a few bumps and missteps. However it is these same people that are somehow put together with such divine intent, as if it were written in stone and set to happen. The people you meet working for the Hudson's Bay are what keep you motivated to be happy, healthy and strong. It helps us to drive the brand name harder and better with joy in our souls, and no better way to do that then with colleagues and similar needs and wants.
Pros
Great team building opprtunities
Cons
Lack of opportunity for advancement
Great place to work fast paced and challenging
Cash Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 14, 2016
Great place to work, everything is a learning experience. Management is always willing to listen and help if needed, co-workers are fantastic fun to work with and be around. I think the hardest part of the job is not enough hours in the day. The most enjoyable part is the interaction with co-workers.
Pros
everything
Cons
not enough hours
non productive workplace
customer service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJanuary 17, 2016
didn't treat their employees with dignity and respect.
also gave me a raise and then took the raise back telling me it was a mistake
Pros
Cons
unreliable hours