Hudbay Minerals Employee Reviews

Good job
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB27 August 2017
Competitive wages and benefits, excellent and talented workforce. Work/home balance is great. Shift hours are great. Community is great. Frontline management is superb but top end is... lacking.
Very survivor island, but great co-workers
Thckener/ De-watering operator (Former Employee) –  Snow Lake, MB21 April 2017
If they like you, you could get away with almost anything. When they went after someone it was no hope. The management was chaotic. No communication between crews. Often cleaning up others messes and over worked. I learned a lot at Hudbay and I appreciate it. gave me skills in the mining industry with confined space and crane training. And dealing with heavy equipment. Being over worked or not giving the proper tools or safety procedures in place when given a task. I enjoyed the people the most; my co-workers. Trying to keep it lighthearted in stressful or aggravating situations.
Pros
Camp
Cons
Over worked and crude management.
not great
Tradesman (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB20 March 2017
typical day at work: fighting fires(slang for breakdowns)
hardest part of the job is getting there in the morning
management:depends where you are, some have it together, some are a joke
advancement? not likely.
Cons
pay
good place to work
Mine Equipment Jr. Engineer (Former Employee) –  Snow Lake, MB15 February 2017
the small community is very welcoming and friendly, with mostly everyone working for the company.
the remote community is beautiful and great for the outdoorsy types.
the remoteness also has the con that it is a 7 hr drive from a major city.
Pros
Good work experience and development
Cons
Remote location - 7 hrs from major city
excellent exposure on mining accounting
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB26 January 2017
Dealing with mining people for their costs and analysis and solving their accounting and budgeting issues. Providing timely and up to date cost reports for mining departments.
Pros
Lower living costs
Cons
Far north
Not good.
Development Miner (Former Employee) –  Snow Lake, MB19 January 2017
Had trouble with local employees and local shift boss, always got the no good job, less paying jobs. Was always made to feel unconformable and preference always giving to the locals.
Management, what management
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Snow Lake, MB21 December 2016
Was a good place to work before the 2015 strike, after the strike they treated the strikers like garbage. Management is only there to protect staff and not the hourly. Was personally forced to quit this brutal company! My suggestions don't bother!
Pros
Steady work
Stay away
Underground Electrician (Former Employee) –  Snowlake19 September 2016
Worst place to work. Racist management, poorly planned work, no room for advancement. Camp food is terrible. Apartments are way over priced. Nothing to do in town for families.
Pros
Leaving at end of shift
Cons
Very engaging work place. Lots of hands on
Apprentice Millwright (Current Employee) –  Snow Lake, MB4 July 2016
A good company to work for. The people are very nice and very community based. Still growing since they found new and long term mineral deposits. There safety needs improvement but that is on the forward rise for them. From day one I was included in major repairs and was given the ability to show my skills and work very hands on. Management could use a bit of work but there is minimal tools for them so they do struggle. It does seem to be getting better. All in all if management used newer,updated techniques on management, this job would be rated one of the best jobs I've had
Pros
Great people and atmosphere
Cons
Remote location
on strike
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  flin flon30 July 2015
right now a typical day involves walking the picket line everyday with no end in sight and its time to start looking for work after 3 months of strike

Want to know more about Hudbay Minerals?

Ask a question
Hudbay is an unorganized establishment with underpaid tradesmen
Industrial Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon19 July 2015
Hudbay was once the heart and soul of the communities it is established in, but now HudBay would rather not put money into the communities that founded in. Hudbay has stopped contributing its main cash flow source and invested millions on infrastructure and such in Peru.
Pros
There is always mechanical work because all they run is old decreped machinary.
Cons
Unorganized managment, threats of being shut down or locked out year after year.
Very fun place to work, great benefit, awesome co-workers.
Instrumentation Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB16 December 2014
Typically the day will start with accident and incident reports being read out loud to the department to inspire safe work, since I was in a maintenance department we would then go through jobs that need to be completed and then sent off to do them in whatever order you decided to do them, (unless there was an urgent job). Management was very polite and professional. My co-workers taught me so much about the operation of the mine and the instruments we worked on. The hardest part of the job were slow days, while working maintenance if you work hard enough and nothing is breaking down your day can turn into a crawl real fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was being taught by my co-workers how to do things, and different methods of how to do things.
Pros
There is lots to learn, and many people that will teach.
Cons
Mine lifespan questionable.
Best paying job in Flin Flon
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, Mb23 May 2014
steady work, not many issues with layoffs or anything. home everyday. not sure if other mining companies run this way but always seems to be a fight between union and management, not a lot of working together on issues. Lots of outstanding grievances that just sit on the table without getting dealt with.
Pros
Home everyday
Cons
management
It was a great learning experience.....many different areas of work to experience
Stripper in Zinc Plant/Forklift Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB8 May 2013
Spent most of my time in the zinc plant doing many different jobs, until the cell house closed and was transferred to the smelter, where I operated the forklift in the copper anode......hard work but learned alot. I enjoyed working with a great group of people and got along well with them.
Decent place to work
Chief Plant Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Flin Flon Manitoba22 April 2013
Day to day work involved carrying a pager, cell phone and 2 way radio. On call 24 hrs/day 5 days a week. Stressful situations involving fire and emergencies. Responsible for 50 employees on a bad day.

Those working for me directly are the greatest employees you could ask for.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the respect from my boss when my crews did an outstanding job.
Pros
limited supervision
Cons
supervising cleaning staff
Great company gto work for.
Ellipse Leader (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB16 November 2012
Great working environment and people. People just focus on solutions and not on problems
Pros
no pressure at all
Cons
very isolated location
Tradesman (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB6 November 2012
A good place to work overall, the wages could be a little higher for the isolation.
Good project stable that is being advanced. Actively exploring.
Mining Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2012
Worked as advisor for the mining aspect of the Constancia project. Experience with the company is limited
easy work poor wage
Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB25 May 2012
good easy work but wages are low compared to the rest of the country.
Pros
easy work
Cons
low wages
many areas to choose to work in within the company
heavy equipment mechanic (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB22 April 2012
work at least 11.5 hours a day for 7 days and 7 off, then 7 nites.
i like working underground and being a part of making the wheels turn . i feel that i manage to learn something new every day and this keeps my interest .i feel i work well with fellow workers i do enjoy working 'ot'. helping co-workers do there jobs is usually the easy part and me being a happy worker makes them scratch their heads. i do like change and variety and an accomplished job
Pros
free coverals and gloves
Cons
over time, 7 days on, 7 days off