Medium-sized non-profit Society has employment opportunities for a Casual Residential Youth Care Counsellor our highly specialized staffed residential home located in Tri Cities/Maple Ridge. Residential Youth Care Counsellor is responsible for implementing the day-to-day operations of the home. They provide and maintain a safe, supportive environment that is culturally open and accessible in order to support the personal development of resident youth. The Residential Youth Care Counsellor facilitates all aspects of the resident youth's life, including accompanying them on daily recreational outings, to medical appointments, providing all meal preparation, supporting them in their bedtime routine and to develop life skills. The Residential Youth Care Counsellor reports directly to the Residential Coordinator.
Qualifications and Conditions:
- Minimum 4 years experience in child & youth care, or a combination of relevant education & experience working with youth with developmental delays and special needs.
- Criminal record clearance.
- Valid BCDL and suitable Driver’s Abstract
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification.
- Food Safe certification.
- Will have the ability to manage crisis, including incidents of aggression, and work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must demonstrate a good working knowledge of community resources in the Tri-Cities area, particularly youth & Aboriginal-specific resources.
- Must have previous experience working with youth with special needs, including experience following and implementing behaviour management and crisis intervention plans and using specialized augmentative and visual communication strategies, such as the use of PECS.
- Will have the ability to identify with mandate, policies and procedures of the organization.
- Must possess a good working knowledge of computer systems and programs.
- Must have strong written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to compile accurate records and prepare reports.
- Willingness to take on additional training as required.
Duties and Responsibilities Include but Not Limited to:
1. Supervise the youth in their day-to-day living, including establishing a trusting, non-judgmental, non-exploitative rapport. Positively participate in programming and activities in order to provide a positive role model experience for youth residing in the home. Educate youth with regard to safe health practices.
2. Maintain the day-to-day operation of the house, including shopping, meal preparation, cleaning, and maintenance.
3. Consult with youth, Residential Coordinator and staff, and other relevant individuals to identify the needs and goals of the youth. Ensure that case plans are implemented.
4. Build and maintain a network of positive working relationships with other service providers to ensure effective referrals and a good continuum of care for the youth.
5. Actively assist in the ongoing development and review of program components. Positively address all concerns, incidents or crises which affect program mandate, policy, personal issues, community relations, resident youth, etc.
6. Attend and positively participate in staff meetings as required.
7. Respect and maintain confidentiality of staff issues within the team, with the exception of the Program Coordinator and/or their direct supervisors. Respect and assure the youth of confidentiality in the community and with other service professionals.
8. Consult with and report to immediate supervisor, and prepare and submit reports to supervisors, as required. Maintain accurate logs and compile statistical records to support program needs and inform ongoing program development and evaluation.
9. Perform any other duty that the Residential Coordinator deems necessary to ensure the safe, healthy, and productive operation of the home.
10. Mental Health and Development Disability experience an asset as well as being comfortable around sexualized behaviors.
In return, the agency provides paid orientation, competitive wage ($23.65/hr) and ongoing professional development opportunities.
Please send a resume and a cover letter to apply.
Male applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Start date is ASAP
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those who meet the minimum qualifications will be contacted for interview.