Howe Sound Pulp and Paper has an immediate opening for a Senior Accountant at our Port Mellon site. Howe Sound Pulp and Paper Corporation is one of the most progressive Kraft, Pulp and Paper manufacturers in the world, leading industry in product quality, efficiency and environmental protection. On the heels of a $6 million dollar upgrade of our evaporators we have now completed a $36 million fluidized bed upgrade to our power boiler to enhance energy and generate clean power. We are now one of the largest independent producers of renewable electricity in BC.
Howe Sound is one of the five mills in Canada owned by Paper Excellence. The Paper Excellence Group has an excellent track record in Canada in terms of business leadership, labour, First Nations partnerships, and environmental stewardship. The Group currently employs over 1,000 Canadians. Professional excellence starts with Paper Excellence.
We are currently seeking a Senior Accountant to join our Finance team at our Port Mellon location on the Sunshine Coast in BC.
The ideal candidate will be motivated, career oriented and seeking a challenging opportunity. Reporting to the Controller, the senior accountant is part of a team of accounting professionals working and supporting the pulp and paper operations in Port Mellon. The Senior Accountant will be responsible for our day-to day cash management functions, corporate governance and reporting.
The candidate will hold a recognized professional accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA) with 3 years relevant experience working with operating and finance teams in heavy industry. Candidate should have a proven track record in managing and implementing change. Strong analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment is a must.
- Provide meaningful and timely reporting to support the mill operations
- Ensure the company is compliant with all the laws, deadlines, and legal requirements as they relate to the accounts and finances of the business
- Ensure internal controls are in place and working as intended
- Assist with the implementation of accounting standards, policies and procedures.
- Preparation of financial reporting, forecasting and budgeting
- Organizing and managing audits and tax audits.
- To ensure the company has filed all the financial reports and documents with the tax authorities.
- Develop and implement cash management strategies
- Experience in working in a growing organization with changing needs and multiple business transactions
- Ability to “think outside the box”, to work in a dynamic, complex, fast paced environment, to adapt quickly and to manage changing priorities
- Ability to work independently, solve problems and use sound judgment
- Solid analytical abilities, combined with being detail oriented
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and SAP is an asset
- Strong organizational skills
- Leadership skill and experience is an asset
Please submit your written application, stating position title and outlining your qualifications for the position to:
Human Resources Dept.
Howe Sound Pulp & Paper Corporation
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our setting, in Port Mellon on BC’s beautiful Sunshine Coast provides employees with an outstanding quality of life. To learn more about the Sunshine Coast, visit www.thesunshinecoast.com. Relocation assistance will be provided in addition to a competitive salary and benefits package.